Thread: New Waltworks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

New Waltworks!

Already posted this in the plus size thread under Guess the wheelsize, but adding it here since it was designed to also fit up to 26 x 4.5 or 27.5 x 4. Currently running it 29+...boatloads o fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by sirsam84; 02-28-2016 at 04:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Looks bad ass but, this is the fat bike section. Put some fatties on it and come back
    Just enjoy the ride...

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Think of it like this: I got a custom fatbike and switched the wheelset out to 29+

The Dog.
    Gorgeous. That looks like some shred-worthy geometry. Take some more pics.

I am in final stages with Walt for a 29+ off road touring rig. Super stoked.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Beautiful bike!

Enjoy it for countless miles

And yes a fat wheelset is needed!!

mtbr member
    Pedal bob?
    so my afro now sticks out of my helmet.

mtbr member
    Looks awesome, love the colour and the design.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks! I don't feel any pedal bob...of course, with the Cush (Hindu Kush?),from the tires, that could be masked. It climbs better than any other bike I've ever been on, so my guess is negligible to none.

Got a chance to hit some slightly bigger stuff...4 and 4.5 foot drops to almost flat and stepdown around 5-6 feet...effortless!

Walt REALLY knows what he is doing! Amazing that his prices are so reasonable as well...very similar to a lot of non-custom big brand frame prices, but pretty much sky is the limit with your options....

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Interesting - can't tell what kind of linkage is being used?

mtbr member
    Awesome WW!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Very nice! I know you are even taller than me so I am curious about the geo numbers? I like how you have one bike that allow multiple wheelsets for different seasons and terrain.

-Nolan

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    http://i1.wp.com/waltworks.com/wp-co...5-PM.png?w=693

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

http://i0.wp.com/waltworks.com/wp-co...5-PM.png?w=588

I think this one shows the linkage....the chainstay pivot is just above the bottom bracket. I'm not good at identifying suspension design types....

Elitest thrill junkie
    I believe walt uses a Ventana rear end. Sometimes referred to as "faux link", although it has 4 members (frame, chainstay, seatstay, rocker), so 4-bar linkage is just as accurate, only specialized "took over" the term in the 90s and tried to make it seem like only their horst link 4-bar was a "real" 4-bar. Genius marketing BTW.

Depending on your chainring size (or the pivot location), it can work as well as a lot of fancy "dual link" bikes and others. Typically, the lower the pivot, the more squat (energy-sucking) up hills and the higher the pivot, the less "active" the suspension gets due to interference from your feet on the pedals. If it's in the sweet spot, it can be a very nice ride. They tend to squat a bit when braking, which is usually beneficial for handling in turns, although not as much for bump absorption since the squatting stiffens the suspension. Given the choice of this or brake jack as found on many horst link bikes (suspension extends, pitching you forward), I'd take the squat.

Single-ring systems have kind of "brought back" single-pivot bikes IMO. A lot of suspension designs over the years have tried to compromise between granny gears and big rings, trying to give good characteristics over a massively wide variance of chain-torque (where your pedal inputs tug the chain down at the chainring and the chain at the rear axle up). With only one ring, it's a lot easier to "optimize" the suspension, although you can't vary excessively from a certain range of chainring sizes.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I believe walt uses a Ventana rear end.
    I only use those occasionally. Most of my newer FS bikes (with the exception of the rockers/shock) are all fabricated here, including the rear ends.

I have built maybe 50 Ventana-swingarm bikes over the last 10 years or so, and I still occasionally do them that way. Good stuff, but not as flexible for doing weird/different geometries and wheel/tire sizes.

It's a single pivot with a rocker-driven shock ("faux bar"), so the basic suspension design is the same as what lots of manufacturers use.

-Walt

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    I

It's a single pivot with a rocker-driven shock ("faux bar"), so the basic suspension design is the same as what lots of manufacturers use.
    easy to copy then??

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    easy to copy then??
    Well, hard to say who is copying who at this point. The design has existed for 20+ years for mountain bikes and the subtleties of leverage ratio and pedaling characteristics can be tweaked a ton by moving pivot points around. So while the basic design is the same on an awful lot of bikes, the purpose and function of those bikes varies dramatically. Sam's bike is nothing like a Ventana or Schwinn or Kona in anything but appearance - very different pivot locations, travel, tire clearance, chainstay length, leverage ratio, etc.

So it's a copy in the same sense that all bicycles are copies of the safety bikes from the late 1800s. Within that universe there is a ton of variation and room for designers to do different things, though. We all stand on the shoulders of giants, so to speak.

-Walt
    Last edited by Walt; 03-04-2016 at 02:42 PM.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    We all stand on the shoulders of giants, so to speak.
    I like this thought very much.

An experienced trades person is not a pillar of information - they are a conduit of information.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

mtbr member
    I'm not very good at demoing bikes, as far as having a clear statement after a demo about the strengths and weaknesses of a particular bike. I'm really impressed with KRob's reviews as he does this very well, whereas most bike reviews sound like regurgitated ad copy. I can think about how a bike acts up to a certain point when I ride one, but once I start descending I just ride. At the bottom I then go that was fun. Every time. Of the dozen of different bikes I've tried there was only one that I didn't like. But of the rest there were ones that were more fun than the others. When I first started demoing modern bikes I guessed that I would like 100mm travel 29ers, but it turned out that I liked 125mm 26ers the most. I was going to get a Trek Fuel EX, but I tried a Santa Cruz Blur TRc and liked it more, so that is what I ended up with.

I really like the Blur. The only thing that is a little tricky about it is that you have to slide forward on the seat when you are climbing steep terrain or you don't have any steering control. The fact that it felt like it was sucking my life away if I had to stand to climb I just thought was part of having a full suspension bike, so I would plan short little punchy climbs with appropriate gearing so I wouldn't have to do that. But with my Waltworks I can stand up and pedal. It's not something I would want to do for a long time like on a rigid bike, but for finishing off short little climbs where your speed is decaying it works fine. I can't really compare the downhill performance of the two suspensions because of my concentration limitations, but I do notice that even with my skill level I can appreciate being able to easily loft the front wheel of the Waltworks. I don't really know what the advantages of the VPP suspension on the Blur is supposed to be, but I'm really impressed with how well the whatever suspension it is on the Waltworks works. I do think having a single chainring makes a big difference for bikes with simpler suspensions.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

New Waltworks!

Got it out on a bit more chunk and loose today...bout a 2 Hr and 15 min ride with a little over 2000ft climbing in and around Simpson Park in Hemet in SoCal. That first pic doesn't show the extent of chunk fully...took the line to the right near the top of the pic just to the left of the tower shaped rock. Not a testament to my skills, but this bike! I probably wouldn't have tried the line riding by myself on my other bikes. Even on Chupas, didn't miss a beat going down really chunky and rutted goodness. The sandy sections were actually fun both up and down too! Some of the steep Boulder climbs were cake as well...was even able to climb most of Mountain View Trail!

I realize this sounds like I'm just being a shill, but I am that impressed by this bike! I am looking forward to throwing on my 3.0 DWs at some point, but the Chupas work so well all around....

Came up nose heavy and a tad short on a smallish double...I'm pretty sure the forgiving tires saved me from a dismount on that one

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sirsam84 View Post
    I realize this sounds like I'm just being a shill, but I am that impressed by this bike!
    It's not "corporate" so no offense taken. That bike looks f'n rad.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I think it might be harder for people to understand who fall under the bell curve of "normal" size and weight. For those people, most off the shelf parts and bikes fit them just fine, but for those of us outside the bell curve, it takes custom parts to make things feel right.

Some day I hope to go all out on a custom bike, and hope I can enjoy it as much as you are enjoying yours.