Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    beer *****es n' bikes

New Velocity "mid fat" rim, the Dually

Thought you guys might be interested in the latest rim offering here at Velocity, the 45mm wide double-walled Dually. It's being offered in 26 & 29" to start, preorders start today.

New Velocity "mid fat" rim, the Dually-dually-final.jpg

There's some more info here: Velocity USA: Introducing the "mid fat" 45mm Dually rim

And here: Velocity Wheels
    bike dude, velocity employee (this is my personal account)

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Tubeless ready, it says.

get down!
    Will you have wide enough tape/conversion kits for these rims to go tubeless?
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

ouch....
    MMMMMMMM...spokeless.....
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Might be a pretty nice option for guys wanting to run suspension on their Kampi.
    The LPG

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    MMMMMMMM...spokeless.....
    They use magnets!

mtbr member
    But how much will they weigh after we drill 'em!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    These look very interesting.
    Though i wonder if all numbers are correct, this one is doublewalled and claiming 675gr for 29" inch version (600gr for the 26") and the singlewalled Rabbit hole weights 699gr.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    No spoke holes are shown in the picture: will it be drilled with offset spoke holes (like a Surly Rabbit Hole), or is it center-drilled?

beer *****es n' bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Vighor View Post
    These look very interesting.
    Though i wonder if all numbers are correct, this one is doublewalled and claiming 675gr for 29" inch version (600gr for the 26") and the singlewalled Rabbit hole weights 699gr.
    The figures are correct based on the weight of the Dually extrusions we have in-hand. Foot by foot, the 45mm Dually weighs about the same as our Cliffhanger extrusion, so we're pretty confident on the conservative sub-700g figure.

beer *****es n' bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by jnroyal View Post
    No spoke holes are shown in the picture: will it be drilled with offset spoke holes (like a Surly Rabbit Hole), or is it center-drilled?
    Due to the shape of the rim, it's going to be center drilled to keep the spokes in the spoke bed.

beer *****es n' bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by appleSSeed View Post
    Will you have wide enough tape/conversion kits for these rims to go tubeless?
    Since the rim is going to be center drilled, our 24mm tape and conversion kit should work just fine on the rim, just as with the Blunt 35.

Harrumph
    Very nice, I've been a little underwhelmed with the RabbitHoles. And very impressed with the Blunt 35s. The wider rim's only advantage being tire performance at really low pressures.

The Dually looks to take that single advantage away for me.

I'm also not a fan of the offset spoke holes on 700c rims. If used with lower flange/narrow flange-to-flange hubs, the dished side can have a very low bracing angle.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

This place needs an enema
    You guys make nice rims and I enjoy building with them, riding them, and selling them.

But...

...calling *any* rim you make tubeless ready is, quite frankly, BS. Nothing about the extrusion is made or meant to hold a tire on sans tube. Wrapping it with an overpriced piece of tape does nothing to accomplish this.

Please stop calling them tubeless ready. In the end, your lawyers are going to advise you to do the same. My intent here is not to slander, but to keep innocent and unsuspecting riders from getting hurt.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-reg View Post
    Very nice, I've been a little underwhelmed with the RabbitHoles.
    What has been the problem with them?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

beer *****es n' bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    You guys make nice rims and I enjoy building with them, riding them, and selling them.

But...

...calling *any* rim you make tubeless ready is, quite frankly, BS. Nothing about the extrusion is made or meant to hold a tire on sans tube. Wrapping it with an overpriced piece of tape does nothing to accomplish this.

Please stop calling them tubeless ready. In the end, your lawyers are going to advise you to do the same. My intent here is not to slander, but to keep innocent and unsuspecting riders from getting hurt.
    I hear what you're saying and appreciate the fact you're trying to keep us honest, but the fact is that the rim *is* designed differently -- specifically to hold a tire in place sans tube.

I would like to point out that we do not call all of our rims tubeless- ready. The Dyad, Atlas, Aero, Aerohead, Aeroheat, Deep-V, Fusion, Synergy, NoBS and Chukker are not tubeless ready by our standards, and we wouldn't ever claim they were.

Now, here's a comparison side-by-side of our first flight A23 (Aussie made, non-tubeless ready) vs. our tubeless ready US made A23. It should be readily apparent that the web and bead are entirely different. The tubeless ready A23 is on the left, the conventional A23 is on the right. Note the shelf on the left A23, designed to keep the tire from "burping" at lower pressure.

New Velocity "mid fat" rim, the Dually-bead2.jpgNew Velocity "mid fat" rim, the Dually-bead1.jpg

There's less clearance between the lip and bead for a tighter lock. We get a lot of complaints from consumers trying to mount a conventional tire and tube on our tubeless ready rims when using cloth or plastic rim strips, due to the tighter tolerances of our tubeless ready rims.

We recently went through and put a disclaimer on all our tubeless ready rims that states we only recommend using a thin tape like our Velotape or Stan's in our tubeless ready rims, just for this reason.

So in short, the designs are quite a bit different, and when we say "tubeless ready," we are referring to the design of the rim, and not just a tape kit and sealant.

mtbr member
    baboom!

Quote Originally Posted by seely View Post
    I hear what you're saying and appreciate the fact you're trying to keep us honest, but the fact is that the rim *is* designed differently -- specifically to hold a tire in place sans tube.

So in short, the designs are quite a bit different, and when we say "tubeless ready," we are referring to the design of the rim, and not just a tape kit and sealant.

I see the difference you're referring to, and agree that (in theory at least) it does look to be much better.

The bulk of my experience with your rims, tubeless, is with the P/Blunt 35. I've got several of these on the shelf right now in 26", 650b, and 29". Precisely zero of these have any sort of shelf--they all closely resemble the older, non-tubeless A23 you pictured.

And there is no way that that rim is safe to run tubeless. Not now, not ever. Without a bead lock it simply can't prevent the bead from moving inward and expelling air. I'll freely admit that I've neither seen nor touched the Dually, so maybe it is different. From the pics you've shared it doesn't appear to be.

Until I see rims coming through the normal distribution channels with a bead shelf, I stand by what I've said--your tubeless rims are not safe for tubeless.

Until I see rims coming through the normal distribution channels with a bead shelf, I stand by what I've said--your tubeless rims are not safe for tubeless.
    You've got me cornfused. I had the Blunt SL 29ers and they have the bead shelf and went tubeless like nobody's business. Never burped.

Harrumph
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    What has been the problem with them?
    Nothing I'd call problems really. But the RHs cost ~50.00 US MSRP more, weigh ~100g more, arguably harder to set up tubless, and IMO build a weaker wheel. That's quite a bit of compromise for a small low pressure advantage. The tread profile is nearly the same on either rim, the sidewall has more curve on the 35 of course. But I never felt the need to drop pressures to "fatbike" levels, where the wider rim would have been beneficial.

I've heard good things about the Kris Holm 29'er rims too, also cheaper than the RH. But heavier, stronger, and 36hole.

So the RHs aren't necessarily bad, but look at building in to wider hubs or hubs with oversized flanges to help out the spoke geometry. I have a set built with an XT centerlock hub with the spokes going to the corresponding side nipple holes. I'm going to rebuild them with all spokes going to the drive side nipple holes. The relatively small flange 100mm hub with dish for the disc mean that the spokes come off the hub nearly vertical. Not really a big deal, but again an extra consideration/compromise for little gain.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    You've got me cornfused. I had the Blunt SL 29ers and they have the bead shelf and went tubeless like nobody's business. Never burped.
    I'm glad it's working for you, truly.

About 20% of the folks I build 'em for have great luck tubeless. The rest, like myself, eventually give up when the frustration and fiddling, and/or obvious potential for injury, become too much.

I'm glad it's working for you, truly.

About 20% of the folks I build 'em for have great luck tubeless. The rest, like myself, eventually give up when the frustration and fiddling, and/or obvious potential for injury, become too much.
    That's weird... I really don't know I guess. I had WTB TCS tires and I had zero fiddling... just popped into place.

Isn't this the bead shelf right here? Taken from this 29inches web page...

New Velocity "mid fat" rim, the Dually-bluntsl2011-011.jpg

mtbr member
    I'm very excited to see these! I see another wheelset in the future for my Krampus
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Does anyone know the recommended max and min tyre widths?

beer *****es n' bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by lostraveller View Post
    Does anyone know the recommended max and min tyre widths?
    I think we're recommending 45 on up.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast