Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I am losing my **** waiting for these to actually be in stock. I have every other part. Several delays on other things but now still waiting for rims. I see that others are getting them and I have no idea why. What the hell is going on?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I preordered mine a month ago, maybe they are still filling those orders?

agu
    mtbr member
    Tho most probably they're fulfilling orders. We're waiting for our batch as well

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    First ride... I got them to seal today. I think they lost too much sealant yesterday while inflating so I added a couple of ozs to each tire and they are holding now... we'll see tomorrow.
    These pics show the tire at 25lbs which is too much, I will drop that tomorrow to see where the sweet spot is for me. It's been raining here so I didn't get to play around as much as I'd hoped. There is still some scuzz leftover from the sealant, but the rims look great.
    The Knard looks to be 3 1/4" from edge to edge.New Velocity "mid fat" rim, the Dually-tireside01sm.jpgNew Velocity "mid fat" rim, the Dually-krampusforksm.jpgNew Velocity "mid fat" rim, the Dually-rulersm.jpg

mtbr member
    Can we please move to metric stone-age is over.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Just flip the ruler over! Damn, I gotta do everything?!?

mtbr member
    What did those rims weigh?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by vseb View Post
    Not disagreeing with anyone here, more of a question... is anyone planning on running pressures that low, 10-12psi? I don't think of these as much as fat tire rims as 29+ (maybe cause I plan on using these on my Krampus*********************l/ijhg9R[/img]). On my SS with Flows and 2.3" tires, I run around 28psi. I am 6'5" at 220 lbs, and was thinking I could drop to low to mid 20s psi.
    I'm 176lbs and usually riding with 40lbs of clothes, gear, food. I'm not great about measuring pressure, but I figure I'm around 20 psi +/-2 psi. I'd be pinch flatting every 5mins at 10 psi.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BBlue777c View Post
    I'm 176lbs and usually riding with 40lbs of clothes, gear, food. I'm not great about measuring pressure, but I figure I'm around 20 psi +/-2 psi. I'd be pinch flatting every 5mins at 10 psi.
    +1 - same here - I ride rocky rooty trails. I run 20/22 psi in 2.4" tires so I'm probably a bit lower in the Knards, but I don't measure precisely.

My GF could probably ride Knards close to 10psi.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by thickfog View Post
    What did those rims weigh?
    The two I built (on Fatlip's bike) were 680g and 682g.

get down!
    Can you post a pic of the Krampus with the all silver wheels?

Also, if they are not clear coated wont they end up looking like **** in no time? Hazy and black oxidized smudges?
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I was going to wait until I got everything tweaked out and then post it on the Krampus builds thread.
    Dunno about the clear coat, I sure hope so... I would rather ride than polish!

Here y'ar!

New Velocity "mid fat" rim, the Dually-krampusfullfrsm.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I thought I would update... a week or so in and I am very happy with the duallys. They hold air well, I haven't had to add any air. I have done a few 1.5'-2' drops and have had no burps.
    I think my original mistake while trying to get a good seal was too much air in the Knards (35lbs). Next time I would probably stop at 25lbs and let them sit to seal. I would still pump them up first without sealant to get them to pop on the rim but then use lower pressure with sealant.
    That's my take on it anyway, live and learn I reckon!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    My tubeless setup: One layer of gorilla tape and WTB valves.
    I put a tube in and inflated to set one bead, then had to use a compressor to get the other bead to pop. I put three cups of Stan's in each tire and inflated to 30psi. Did the shakey-dance and set each wheel on their side. Only one bead was very leaky on each tire. Then they were done. Super easy. If the pressure gets down to the middle single digits I can make the bead leak with my thumb so if you want to run low more safely I'd build up the rim a little bit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Tonight I built up a set of black 29er Dually rims on DT 350 hubs with DT Comp spokes and aluminum nipples. Knard 120tpi tubeless with Stan's tape.

Compared to the stock Krampus wheels (RH rims, Surly front, Shimano M525 rear hub, DT straight gauge spokes and 27tpi Knards tubeless w Gorilla tape) the new wheels are 1025 grams lighter.

get down!
    What tension is everyone shooting for?

Using the 604 ERD I'm getting a spoke length of 293 ish rear on both sides and 292 front non drive side (disk side) using CK hubs and a SS rear. 3x.

get down!
    Bump! Planning to lace these up this weekend, what tension levels should I shoot for? 110 or so?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fatlip11 View Post
    I was going to wait until I got everything tweaked out and then post it on the Krampus builds thread.
    Dunno about the clear coat, I sure hope so... I would rather ride than polish!

Here y'ar!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KrampusFullFrSm.jpg 
Views:	581 
Size:	165.6 KB 
ID:	840737
    Can we get a side shot of the bike? I just want to appreciate the silver hoops in all their glory.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by appleSSeed View Post
    Bump! Planning to lace these up this weekend, what tension levels should I shoot for? 110 or so?

I did 110kgf on the rear DS, 100kgf on the front NDS. Don't want to go too high, that long flat fairly thin cross section would be prone to cracking at higher tensions I imagine.

get down!

Think 293 for all would be ok?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by appleSSeed View Post

Think 293 for all would be ok?
    My eyes aren't good enough to read that...

A few standard spoke length ?'s:
    -Did you measure the rims yourself?
    -Do you measure to the end of the nipple, or to the bottom of the slot in the nipple?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker View Post
    If the pressure gets down to the middle single digits I can make the bead leak with my thumb so if you want to run low more safely I'd build up the rim a little bit.
    Build the rim up? You mean with multiple layers of tape? How wide?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Dually 26

I'd post this as a review, but the Dually is not listed. I owned two Dually 26 rims briefly. They were returned to my LBS after I took the plastic wrap off and found several cracks in the outer wall. The photos show only a small area on each rim, there were more cracks around the circumference. Very disappointed. I hope this is a problem that Velocity can resolve, until then I would recommend checking your Duallys for cracks. I will probably wait until Stans 50 mm rim is available.
    New Velocity "mid fat" rim, the Dually-velocity-dually-26-2.jpg
    New Velocity "mid fat" rim, the Dually-velocity-dually-26.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    got some 29" Dually built up at the local bike shop.
    before putting on some tape, found some dings, and don't think the bike shop is throwing around the rims. the way they looked, it was anodized afterwards.
    not good. also all the holes have sharp edges, ok, exacto knife out another half hour and then vacuuming the splinter. put the tape on, ok, 1,2,3 ; 1x in the middle, and 2 outside. that means more then 1 roll. the valve hole, had also sharp edges, and is really small, why ? ever seen the stans tubeless valves, this suppose to be tubeless ready , remember ,.... fix this. put on an conti MK II, loose, ok, lets see, airs up, but leaks, leaks the balls, did it 2x. using fenwicks goop. took it for a slow ride, had to constantly air it up. ok, take my maxxis , chunky monkey, that one seals up, even without goop, usually ride around 18psi with it. that one leaks too.
    how many layers does it take ? 20 bucks extra, come on, why.
    and no beadlock !? no, not even a straight shelf, tapers right off. not good.
    maybe good to get the tire on, especially off, in the most inconvenient time .
    at least one hurray, the the spoke holes, did not come in a straight line, a little offset spread, still not angled, but it's a start.
    have not tried a UST tire, like the wtb bronson, but what's the point, with that rim, want beefy 2.4,2.5 maxxis DH tires, conti trail kings , etc, maybe some lighter schwalbes, point is, tolerances need to be tighter. should'nt need 20 foot of tape, should work just covering up the hole.
    guess I'll buy some more tape by the bucket; have an minion DHR II waiting and TK coming. in comparison wtb tis is painless.
    - no shiny polished available
    - holes have sharp edges
    - valve hole to small
    - no bead lock
    - bead shelf, has no straight ledge
    - banged up and scratched out of the box
    - made in the USA sticker, would wait on that one, till you get it right
    - one more where it is pinned, sharp edge !?

guess I got to get some steel wool by the bucket too.
    should invest in the dremel, to at least get the edge on the pinned section smooth.

wanna try again, send me 2 build.

one more, maybe measuring it, and put it on the label, so we get an idea , how many layers of tape. cheers , Rob

beer *****es n' bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis1 View Post
    I did 110kgf on the rear DS, 100kgf on the front NDS. Don't want to go too high, that long flat fairly thin cross section would be prone to cracking at higher tensions I imagine.
    We've been building to our usual 120kgf DS for what it's worth, haven't seen any problems thus far. Anything in the 110-120 range should be okay, I'd imagine.
    bike dude, velocity employee (this is my personal account)

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast