Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    anybody riding them ? reviews ?
    be nice to get some tire measurements, to figure out frame clearance ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Well I finally got my wheel built and my order for some big rubber in. It's the Velocity Dually 29" with a WTB Laserdisc Lite QR9. I need to weigh it, but it doesn't feel heavy.

First I tried an Ardent 2.4 on the Dually because I was still waiting on my Knard order. Only took one ride with this setup, but I liked it. I didn't get any measurements, but to my eye the Dually didn't cause the Ardent casing width to be much wider. The profile definitely flattened out though and the traction was great. The bead was incredibly tight on this rim and very difficult to unmount.

Then I got the Knard and immediately threw that on. Wow! The difference in volume was huge and the Ardent is a big tire. I measured the casing at 71.8mm and the tread at 74.9. This left about 3-4mm of clearance on the sides of the tire in my Niner carbon fork.

Unfortunately we have been under monsoon conditions in the DC area for the past several days, so I have not had a proper ride on it. I did take it up to the local park that has just a little bit of dirt back in the woods and rode it around. It was setup at 15psi with a tube and I was having a ball monster-trucking over the roots and small stuff. I can't wait to actually take a real ride on this thing!

Mandatory pictures attached.

New Velocity "mid fat" rim, the Dually-img_0873.jpgNew Velocity "mid fat" rim, the Dually-img_0877.jpgNew Velocity "mid fat" rim, the Dually-img_0879.jpgNew Velocity "mid fat" rim, the Dually-img_0881.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    thanks for the post.
    notes:
    went to local bike shop, with brand new krampus , brought my bike
    an AM 29er Norco, and tried to jam it in,...the rear;
    it ain't not spinning, measured 84mm, maybe it was stretched out ;
    was so bummed, did not try the front.
    your carbon fork, be short lived, with tire rub...
    waiting for some Dirt Wizard news.
    my guess pi multipled by my thumb, on existing tire, existing rims
    new inner - old inner / 3.14 /2
    39 -23 ; 16 / 3.14 ; 5.09 / 2 = 2.54mm+ on each side wider (tire)
    tall, 3.14/2 * 2.54 = 3.98mm taller

be nice to see some measurements , to see if the formula is any good for real live.
    since I got plenty of tires , who did not measure up to the advertised width.
    hop the wide rim will fix that.

mtbr member
    Interesting front brake cable routing. Has the tire ever rubbed it?
    The LPG

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lancelot View Post
    Interesting front brake cable routing. Has the tire ever rubbed it?
    Seems a bit sketchy to me too but then i'm anal about that sorta stuff.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Fortunately the tire does not rub the brake cable or the inside of the fork. I wouldn't keep this setup otherwise. There is plenty of clearance around it. The brake cable does rub the inside of the fork a little, but I have some of those clear decals protecting the fork and the frame where the cable comes into contact.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtcallahan View Post

Mandatory pictures attached.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0873.jpg 
Views:	1511 
Size:	189.2 KB 
ID:	838767Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0877.jpg 
Views:	549 
Size:	440.5 KB 
ID:	838768Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0879.jpg 
Views:	612 
Size:	163.4 KB 
ID:	838769Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0881.jpg 
Views:	913 
Size:	178.4 KB 
ID:	838770
    Looks awesome! This is what I was hoping to run (Dually + Knard on Niner fork). Forgive my ignorance, but can I purchase a complete wheel from anywhere yet?

mtbr member
    Fortunately the tire does not rub the brake cable or the inside of the fork. I wouldn't keep this setup otherwise. There is plenty of clearance around it.
    Per the static pics I agree there is plenty of clearance however when out and about bouncing up n down trails the cable will be subject to movement in a downward direction (only)and in the path of a rotating tire which has the potential for brake line failure yes?

get down!
    That tire is gonna rub for sure. Looks good though. Wish I could find a set of Duallys in stock somewhere.
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

This place needs an enema
    I have a few sets of Dually's in stock in 29", black and silver, 32h.

Only thing that's kept me from lacing a set for myself are, um, these.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I have a few sets of Dually's in stock in 29", black and silver, 32h.

Only thing that's kept me from lacing a set for myself are, um, these.
    Mikesee, you questioned the tubeless interface of the Dually at one point. Now that you have them in your hands, are these rim different that other Velocity models?
    You're so cute internet tough guy. Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    Mikesee, you questioned the tubeless interface of the Dually at one point. Now that you have them in your hands, are these rim different that other Velocity models?
    You can see in pic in the original post that there is no lip to keep the bead from sliding inward on this extrusion. So while I don't doubt that they can be made to bead-up and hold air tubeless, I'd never, ever recommend riding them that way. I consider it unsafe, especially given the low PSI's that (most, not all) will be running their Knards on these rims.

Short answer = no, not really different.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Your guys focus on the brake routing got me concerned, so I rerouted outside the fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    You can see in pic in the original post that there is no lip to keep the bead from sliding inward on this extrusion. So while I don't doubt that they can be made to bead-up and hold air tubeless, I'd never, ever recommend riding them that way. I consider it unsafe, especially given the low PSI's that (most, not all) will be running their Knards on these rims.

Short answer = no, not really different.
    Bummer! Guess I'll stay with my Rabbit Holes for awhile.
    The LPG

mtbr member
    Your guys focus on the brake routing got me concerned, so I rerouted outside the fork.
    I'ts rare i make any sort of sense but if I do it's because i stay @ a Holiday Inn Express when on vaca.

mtbr member
    I just saw that, concerned!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I built these up last night. Polished silver Duallys, White Industries hubs, Wheelsmith DB14 spokes and alloy nipples - just over 2300g (rims were 680g and 682g, ERD 607mm measuring to top of nipple), all made in the USA.

'Merica!

They were kind of a PITA to work with, there were a lot of chips floating around inside the rims that had to be shaken out and lots of polishing compound still on/in them. Inside the tire bed and caked inside spoke holes. They built up nice though, they feel really light for such a wide rim.

Harrumph
    Sweet!

I recall my P35s had a massivly annoying amount shavings trapped inside.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

beer *****es n' bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis1 View Post
    I built these up last night. Polished silver Duallys, White Industries hubs, Wheelsmith DB14 spokes and alloy nipples - just over 2300g (rims were 680g and 682g, ERD 607mm measuring to top of nipple), all made in the USA.

'Merica!

They were kind of a PITA to work with, there were a lot of chips floating around inside the rims that had to be shaken out and lots of polishing compound still on/in them. Inside the tire bed and caked inside spoke holes. They built up nice though, they feel really light for such a wide rim.
    Killer build, & thanks for the feedback -- the polishing compound is a bit of an annoyance. Our polisher cleans the rims but it seems there's always a bit trapped on the inside. We'll look more into what we can do about that and the 'swarth' that gets trapped in the drilling process.
    bike dude, velocity employee (this is my personal account)

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Enjoy the shiny now boys, cause they are getting dirty this weekend! They look amazing Dustin, can't wait to get them on my Krampus. Will post pics when mounted.

mtbr member
    Are they clear coated after polishing?
    The LPG

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Well... that was not pleasurable! They ain't shiny no more as they are covered in Orange Seal.
    Got the wheels this morning and decided to mount the Knards and pump 'em up. I did my usual routine of soaping and then pumping the tires up without sealant first to get them seated.
    Nope, they were going to need a compressor instead of my floor pump. Took them to my LBS and used their compressor. Lots of sealant ended up on the floor. Now I am not sure if they have enough sealant in them after it was shooting out the sides.
    Problem is, Orange Seal recommends 3-4 oz per tire for a 29er, with Stan's I have always used 2 oz, but since this is a bigger tire I went ahead and put 4 in each... end of bottle. LBS does not carry Oranges Seal, not sure if I can mix Stan's with them or not.
    Left them at the LBS with my Krampus build on their sides and asked the mechanics to flip them occasionally, hopefully when I go in tomorrow to pick up my bike they will have sealed.
    The wheels look great, the seam in the rim doesn't look fantastic but everything else is good.
    Dustin at Southern Wheelworks did an awesome job on the build and answered all 4,000 of my questions without a complaint. Great customer service for sure.
    Will update later with photos.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis1 View Post

I'm surprised you didn't build your wheels so the valve was in the large spoke gap. Was this on purpose? Reasoning?

If you're not sure what I mean, here is a picture from Sheldon Brown's site.

Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    I'm surprised you didn't build your wheels so the valve was in the large spoke gap. Was this on purpose? Reasoning?

If you're not sure what I mean, here is a picture from Sheldon Brown's site.

It's just the angle of the picture. Valves are always between two parallel spokes! Hers another picture, the duallys and two other wheels I laced up that same night:

mtbr member
    Wow, that picture fooled me
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast