Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I am losing my **** waiting for these to actually be in stock. I have every other part. Several delays on other things but now still waiting for rims. I see that others are getting them and I have no idea why. What the hell is going on?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I preordered mine a month ago, maybe they are still filling those orders?

agu
    mtbr member
    Tho most probably they're fulfilling orders. We're waiting for our batch as well

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    First ride... I got them to seal today. I think they lost too much sealant yesterday while inflating so I added a couple of ozs to each tire and they are holding now... we'll see tomorrow.
    These pics show the tire at 25lbs which is too much, I will drop that tomorrow to see where the sweet spot is for me. It's been raining here so I didn't get to play around as much as I'd hoped. There is still some scuzz leftover from the sealant, but the rims look great.
    The Knard looks to be 3 1/4" from edge to edge.New Velocity "mid fat" rim, the Dually-tireside01sm.jpgNew Velocity "mid fat" rim, the Dually-krampusforksm.jpgNew Velocity "mid fat" rim, the Dually-rulersm.jpg

mtbr member
    Can we please move to metric stone-age is over.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Just flip the ruler over! Damn, I gotta do everything?!?

mtbr member
    What did those rims weigh?
    CRAMBA Chairman

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by vseb View Post
    Not disagreeing with anyone here, more of a question... is anyone planning on running pressures that low, 10-12psi? I don't think of these as much as fat tire rims as 29+ (maybe cause I plan on using these on my Krampus). On my SS with Flows and 2.3" tires, I run around 28psi. I am 6'5" at 220 lbs, and was thinking I could drop to low to mid 20s psi.
    I'm 176lbs and usually riding with 40lbs of clothes, gear, food. I'm not great about measuring pressure, but I figure I'm around 20 psi +/-2 psi. I'd be pinch flatting every 5mins at 10 psi.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BBlue777c View Post
    I'm 176lbs and usually riding with 40lbs of clothes, gear, food. I'm not great about measuring pressure, but I figure I'm around 20 psi +/-2 psi. I'd be pinch flatting every 5mins at 10 psi.
    +1 - same here - I ride rocky rooty trails. I run 20/22 psi in 2.4" tires so I'm probably a bit lower in the Knards, but I don't measure precisely.

My GF could probably ride Knards close to 10psi.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by thickfog View Post
    What did those rims weigh?
    The two I built (on Fatlip's bike) were 680g and 682g.

get down!
    Can you post a pic of the Krampus with the all silver wheels?

Also, if they are not clear coated wont they end up looking like **** in no time? Hazy and black oxidized smudges?
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I was going to wait until I got everything tweaked out and then post it on the Krampus builds thread.
    Dunno about the clear coat, I sure hope so... I would rather ride than polish!

Here y'ar!

New Velocity "mid fat" rim, the Dually-krampusfullfrsm.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I thought I would update... a week or so in and I am very happy with the duallys. They hold air well, I haven't had to add any air. I have done a few 1.5'-2' drops and have had no burps.
    I think my original mistake while trying to get a good seal was too much air in the Knards (35lbs). Next time I would probably stop at 25lbs and let them sit to seal. I would still pump them up first without sealant to get them to pop on the rim but then use lower pressure with sealant.
    That's my take on it anyway, live and learn I reckon!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    My tubeless setup: One layer of gorilla tape and WTB valves.
    I put a tube in and inflated to set one bead, then had to use a compressor to get the other bead to pop. I put three cups of Stan's in each tire and inflated to 30psi. Did the shakey-dance and set each wheel on their side. Only one bead was very leaky on each tire. Then they were done. Super easy. If the pressure gets down to the middle single digits I can make the bead leak with my thumb so if you want to run low more safely I'd build up the rim a little bit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Tonight I built up a set of black 29er Dually rims on DT 350 hubs with DT Comp spokes and aluminum nipples. Knard 120tpi tubeless with Stan's tape.

Compared to the stock Krampus wheels (RH rims, Surly front, Shimano M525 rear hub, DT straight gauge spokes and 27tpi Knards tubeless w Gorilla tape) the new wheels are 1025 grams lighter.

get down!
    What tension is everyone shooting for?

Using the 604 ERD I'm getting a spoke length of 293 ish rear on both sides and 292 front non drive side (disk side) using CK hubs and a SS rear. 3x.

get down!
    Bump! Planning to lace these up this weekend, what tension levels should I shoot for? 110 or so?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fatlip11 View Post
    I was going to wait until I got everything tweaked out and then post it on the Krampus builds thread.
    Dunno about the clear coat, I sure hope so... I would rather ride than polish!

Here y'ar!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KrampusFullFrSm.jpg 
Views:	2696 
Size:	165.6 KB 
ID:	840737
    Can we get a side shot of the bike? I just want to appreciate the silver hoops in all their glory.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by appleSSeed View Post
    Bump! Planning to lace these up this weekend, what tension levels should I shoot for? 110 or so?

I did 110kgf on the rear DS, 100kgf on the front NDS. Don't want to go too high, that long flat fairly thin cross section would be prone to cracking at higher tensions I imagine.

get down!

Think 293 for all would be ok?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Think 293 for all would be ok?
    My eyes aren't good enough to read that...

A few standard spoke length ?'s:
    -Did you measure the rims yourself?
    -Do you measure to the end of the nipple, or to the bottom of the slot in the nipple?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker View Post
    If the pressure gets down to the middle single digits I can make the bead leak with my thumb so if you want to run low more safely I'd build up the rim a little bit.
    Build the rim up? You mean with multiple layers of tape? How wide?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Dually 26

I'd post this as a review, but the Dually is not listed. I owned two Dually 26 rims briefly. They were returned to my LBS after I took the plastic wrap off and found several cracks in the outer wall. The photos show only a small area on each rim, there were more cracks around the circumference. Very disappointed. I hope this is a problem that Velocity can resolve, until then I would recommend checking your Duallys for cracks. I will probably wait until Stans 50 mm rim is available.
    New Velocity "mid fat" rim, the Dually-velocity-dually-26-2.jpg
    New Velocity "mid fat" rim, the Dually-velocity-dually-26.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    got some 29" Dually built up at the local bike shop.
    before putting on some tape, found some dings, and don't think the bike shop is throwing around the rims. the way they looked, it was anodized afterwards.
    not good. also all the holes have sharp edges, ok, exacto knife out another half hour and then vacuuming the splinter. put the tape on, ok, 1,2,3 ; 1x in the middle, and 2 outside. that means more then 1 roll. the valve hole, had also sharp edges, and is really small, why ? ever seen the stans tubeless valves, this suppose to be tubeless ready , remember ,.... fix this. put on an conti MK II, loose, ok, lets see, airs up, but leaks, leaks the balls, did it 2x. using fenwicks goop. took it for a slow ride, had to constantly air it up. ok, take my maxxis , chunky monkey, that one seals up, even without goop, usually ride around 18psi with it. that one leaks too.
    how many layers does it take ? 20 bucks extra, come on, why.
    and no beadlock !? no, not even a straight shelf, tapers right off. not good.
    maybe good to get the tire on, especially off, in the most inconvenient time .
    at least one hurray, the the spoke holes, did not come in a straight line, a little offset spread, still not angled, but it's a start.
    have not tried a UST tire, like the wtb bronson, but what's the point, with that rim, want beefy 2.4,2.5 maxxis DH tires, conti trail kings , etc, maybe some lighter schwalbes, point is, tolerances need to be tighter. should'nt need 20 foot of tape, should work just covering up the hole.
    guess I'll buy some more tape by the bucket; have an minion DHR II waiting and TK coming. in comparison wtb tis is painless.
    - no shiny polished available
    - holes have sharp edges
    - valve hole to small
    - no bead lock
    - bead shelf, has no straight ledge
    - banged up and scratched out of the box
    - made in the USA sticker, would wait on that one, till you get it right
    - one more where it is pinned, sharp edge !?

guess I got to get some steel wool by the bucket too.
    should invest in the dremel, to at least get the edge on the pinned section smooth.

wanna try again, send me 2 build.

one more, maybe measuring it, and put it on the label, so we get an idea , how many layers of tape. cheers , Rob

beer *****es n' bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis1 View Post
    I did 110kgf on the rear DS, 100kgf on the front NDS. Don't want to go too high, that long flat fairly thin cross section would be prone to cracking at higher tensions I imagine.
    We've been building to our usual 120kgf DS for what it's worth, haven't seen any problems thus far. Anything in the 110-120 range should be okay, I'd imagine.
    bike dude, velocity employee (this is my personal account)

beer *****es n' bikes
    Can you post a pic of the Krampus with the all silver wheels?

Also, if they are not clear coated wont they end up looking like **** in no time? Hazy and black oxidized smudges?
    We've never clear coated our polished rims, and they've held up great in long-term testing. No more cleaning or maintenance than any other finish we've tried.

mtbr member
    My Dually & Blunt 35 both arrived yesterday and I'm bummed to say that mine have the same list of issues that Rob & Flying Squirrel report. I'll talk a better look at them tonight and see if I can make them work. Not too excited about having to send them back but that might be what I have to do...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    update:
    since I wanted to ride, I stuck a tube in the rear. with a fat tire and tube, it's no fun riding. since you still got to have it aired up enough , not to pinch-flat. so no points here.
    took the front to prep, scraped all the edges off the holes, and dings.
    got some kichen scrubs, steel wool, and the plastic pads, for the pan, went to town,
    and scrubed all the inside of the rim.
    dug out an maxxis DHR II, one of my new favorites, besides the chunky monkey,
    put a center layer on the rim, used soap water, on the bead, aired up with floor pump, getting strong arms by now,...
    no pops, leaks, argh, beads ok, still farts when pinched, what is that ? why ?
    major leak, around the valve !! took a break, refuel, get a heini, ponder.
    ok, time to fix that. measure, drill, alu, check, ok ready, drill 6.9mm rim out.
    argh, have to waste more stans tape, no,; drill through the tape, tapered degrate 30deg,
    used exacto knife to remove frazzled edges. back to mounting, pumping, soap water.
    got one pop, 50psi. no leak on valve.
    back to home depot, for some rubber tape, extra thick vinyl, low temp high grade.
    next, to use 0.9mm rubber tape, to create a bead-lock .
    oh, no sealant on the DHR II, usually use Fenwicks blue soup. for now I'll test without the goop. michelins wild'race, also hold air without it. but the roots, cut of stumps, and thorns, rip it to shreds. also at low psi, especially in the rear, it's just to wobbly .
    since the MK II 2.4 did not hold. also leaks on sidewalls, without stans.
    thinking, I'll go with the 1kg, wtb TCS AM vigilante to test further. they are UST tires, with extra heavy sidewalls. should fit the bill, in the rear. still want to get some TK II, 2.4 in BC protection to try.
    back to bead-lock, definitely want it, especially in the front, thought the rear will see a lot more torque and side pressure.
    give me a tickle, will order more rubber to test, cheers, Rob

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    150 technical rocky miles on a pair of 29er Dually rims with Knards, ghetto tubeless. Almost all loaded bikepacking. I'm 180 lbs.

Zero issues.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Just finishing building my Duallys. I'll be trying to make them go tubeless tonight or tomorrow morning with Knards. BUT, my current plan to build up a bead lip with super thin strips of tape, then go over the whole thing with a layer Gorilla tape. Maybe two layers if they won't inflate easily.

I've got Velocity tubeless valves which fit with zero hassle.

mtbr member
    I have several hundred miles on a pair of 26er Dually rims. Used 25mm stans tape and have a Husker Du on the front with a Knard on the rear. So far everything has been flawless. They built up really well, set them up easily tubeless with a hand pump, 2 scoops of stans sealant and they have been holding air really well. I have done a couple races on them as well as hard riding and generally run 9-11psi with no burps or other issues. Any lower than that and I was running into issues with the tire getting floppy under hard cornering. I weigh in around 200lbs and ride pretty aggressively so I feel like I have given them a good test up to this point. So far I am very impressed with them.

mtbr member
    Is tubeless really worth it? I guess I just don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by rschultz101 View Post
    update:
    since I wanted to ride, I stuck a tube in the rear. with a fat tire and tube, it's no fun riding. since you still got to have it aired up enough , not to pinch-flat. so no points here.
    took the front to prep, scraped all the edges off the holes, and dings.
    got some kichen scrubs, steel wool, and the plastic pads, for the pan, went to town,
    and scrubed all the inside of the rim.
    dug out an maxxis DHR II, one of my new favorites, besides the chunky monkey,
    put a center layer on the rim, used soap water, on the bead, aired up with floor pump, getting strong arms by now,...
    no pops, leaks, argh, beads ok, still farts when pinched, what is that ? why ?
    major leak, around the valve !! took a break, refuel, get a heini, ponder.
    ok, time to fix that. measure, drill, alu, check, ok ready, drill 6.9mm rim out.
    argh, have to waste more stans tape, no,; drill through the tape, tapered degrate 30deg,
    used exacto knife to remove frazzled edges. back to mounting, pumping, soap water.
    got one pop, 50psi. no leak on valve.
    back to home depot, for some rubber tape, extra thick vinyl, low temp high grade.
    next, to use 0.9mm rubber tape, to create a bead-lock .
    oh, no sealant on the DHR II, usually use Fenwicks blue soup. for now I'll test without the goop. michelins wild'race, also hold air without it. but the roots, cut of stumps, and thorns, rip it to shreds. also at low psi, especially in the rear, it's just to wobbly .
    since the MK II 2.4 did not hold. also leaks on sidewalls, without stans.
    thinking, I'll go with the 1kg, wtb TCS AM vigilante to test further. they are UST tires, with extra heavy sidewalls. should fit the bill, in the rear. still want to get some TK II, 2.4 in BC protection to try.
    back to bead-lock, definitely want it, especially in the front, thought the rear will see a lot more torque and side pressure.
    give me a tickle, will order more rubber to test, cheers, Rob

mtbr member
    Any report about 2.4" tires on Dually rims?

I'd take a pair of Dually rims to go with a 2.4 Ardent rear and a Knard (or better a Dirty Wizard if it'll be available) front. All on a Canfield Yelli Screamy with Fox34.

What do you think about it?
    I'm riding Ardents on P35 F&R, at now.

get down!
    My black Duallys built up super easy. True as hell, no fuss. Look great. I used Stan's wide tape with a 120tpi Knard on the front and a 27tpi Knard on the back. The front set up with a floor pump, but bubbled after rides for a few days near the bead. Good to go now.

The rear wire bead was a pain in the butt. I couldn't get it to seal and had to take it to a friends house with a compressor and use a ratchet strap. Good to go, no leaking at all.

Have had two real rides and several commutes with no issues.

I was using some tubes I had laying around, admittedly heavy, but saved 1.2 pounds going to tubeless. Totally worth it. I would def. but the Duallys again. No complaints.

beer *****es n' bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by savo View Post
    Any report about 2.4" tires on Dually rims?

I'd take a pair of Dually rims to go with a 2.4 Ardent rear and a Knard (or better a Dirty Wizard if it'll be available) front. All on a Canfield Yelli Screamy with Fox34.

What do you think about it?
    I'm riding Ardents on P35 F&R, at now.
    Sorry for the delayed response. We've found 2.4's are perfect on a Dually... we've run as narrow as a ~2.3 with great success, as the Dually itself is around 1.8" wide. I say go for it, but I'm a bit biased.

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingsqrl View Post
    I'd post this as a review, but the Dually is not listed. I owned two Dually 26 rims briefly. They were returned to my LBS after I took the plastic wrap off and found several cracks in the outer wall. The photos show only a small area on each rim, there were more cracks around the circumference. Very disappointed. I hope this is a problem that Velocity can resolve, until then I would recommend checking your Duallys for cracks. I will probably wait until Stans 50 mm rim is available
    My Dually & Blunt 35 both arrived yesterday and I'm bummed to say that mine have the same list of issues that Rob & Flying Squirrel report. I'll take a better look at them tonight and see if I can make them work. Not too excited about having to send them back but that might be what I have to do...
    I've not seen either of you post since sharing the pics of the cracks in new rims so i'm curious how it was handled and resolved if so.

mtbr member
    I got a second opinion and we decided that the scoring that I found in the inner wall wasn't actually a crack. Maybe when drilling the rims, the bit dragged when they went from one hole to the next. I decided to live with the rest of the cosmetic imperfections. Hopefully they are only cosmetic. The wheels have been built but I haven't gotten to ride them yet and I haven't even mounted tires. I'm still waiting on the frame that they will go on (a Singular Gryphon). They do look awesome!

gone walk about
    ^^ Much thanks for the reply.

Seely whats your thoughts pertaining to flyingsqrl and his issue? Has it been looked into and what was determined?
    Lastly if one were inclined to have the rims anodized would it be best to start with the polished versions?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I took the Duallys back to my LBS and got my money back. I'm glad to hear that many others didn't have the same problem with their Duallys.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    update: useing dually with tubes, till I get an compressor, and build-up a beadlock.
    got the studded nicotine tires, great tires, but so loose on the rims, guess , those where not meant to be used tubeless.
    and 69tr6, , yes tubeless is worth it. not just weight, rolling resistance, but the snake-bite flats due lower pressure. buddy has a Krampus , and he got tired of all the flats.

beer *****es n' bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanTemplar View Post
    My Dually & Blunt 35 both arrived yesterday and I'm bummed to say that mine have the same list of issues that Rob & Flying Squirrel report. I'll talk a better look at them tonight and see if I can make them work. Not too excited about having to send them back but that might be what I have to do...
    Sorry to hear about the cosmetic issues, but glad to hear you're giving them a shot. Hopefully we've got the production line dialed in now to the point where that's going to be behind us. Post back once you get a few rides on them, we're always eager to hear feedback on a new product. So far, it seems pretty favorable so I hope you'll have the same experience.

beer *****es n' bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by rschultz101 View Post
    update: useing dually with tubes, till I get an compressor, and build-up a beadlock.
    got the studded nicotine tires, great tires, but so loose on the rims, guess , those where not meant to be used tubeless.
    and 69tr6, , yes tubeless is worth it. not just weight, rolling resistance, but the snake-bite flats due lower pressure. buddy has a Krampus , and he got tired of all the flats.
    From my own casual observations with non-tubeless tires it seems that the tire fit varies more with these higher volume tires -- seemingly more so than with "normal" volume tires. With tubeless tires, the success rate seems to be pretty consistent, however. Keep us posted on what you find.

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post

Seely whats your thoughts pertaining to flyingsqrl and his issue? Has it been looked into and what was determined?
    Lastly if one were inclined to have the rims anodized would it be best to start with the polished versions?
    Seely you missed one!

beer *****es n' bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    ^^ Much thanks for the reply.

We got the rims back (not sure whose set it was exactly) but it does appear to be a flaw somewhere along the line in the manufacturing process. We discovered a gouge in a spoke hole on the *inner* rim which is less than desirable, but shouldn't pose a strength issue as the nipple primarily stresses the outer rim wall. My guess is it was during the drilling process, but it's hard to say with 100% certainty since we really haven't seen the issue since. There was also a scratch along the inner web that looked like a possible manufacturing flaw as well, again, not ideal but not something we'd see as a structural issue. In fact, I believe an employee snagged the gouged rim and built it up for himself. We alerted the factory to the issue, and have no heard of any similar defects since so we expect it was limited to a few earlier production rims.

For the anodizing, you can actually use either the Mill or Polished rim. I'm told the Polished rim will change the sheen of the anodizing process a bit and looks pretty sharp, but our standard practice is to send out the mill finished rims for anodizing.

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by seely View Post
    We got the rims back (not sure whose set it was exactly) but it does appear to be a flaw somewhere along the line in the manufacturing process. We discovered a gouge in a spoke hole on the *inner* rim which is less than desirable, but shouldn't pose a strength issue as the nipple primarily stresses the outer rim wall. My guess is it was during the drilling process, but it's hard to say with 100% certainty since we really haven't seen the issue since. There was also a scratch along the inner web that looked like a possible manufacturing flaw as well, again, not ideal but not something we'd see as a structural issue. In fact, I believe an employee snagged the gouged rim and built it up for himself. We alerted the factory to the issue, and have no heard of any similar defects since so we expect it was limited to a few earlier production rims.

For the anodizing, you can actually use either the Mill or Polished rim. I'm told the Polished rim will change the sheen of the anodizing process a bit and looks pretty sharp, but our standard practice is to send out the mill finished rims for anodizing.
    Thank you kindly sir for the detailed reply.

mtbr member
    Has anybody else bought or tested these rims? Any news to speak of?

mtbr member
    Dually's on my 616 tubeless with 45NRTH 26x4.0 Dillingers. No problems unless I go under 5psi with the setup. Tires have stayed on rim fine, just burping air at lower tire pressure.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ScoleTrai...80410592108544New Velocity "mid fat" rim, the Dually-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Been riding a set of Duallys since early December and no problems so far. Using a 26x2.8 tire and not tubeless yet. Built up on Deore xt hubs under a 1x9 steel hardtail.

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by MikenIke View Post
    Been riding a set of Duallys since early December and no problems so far. Using a 26x2.8 tire and not tubeless yet. Built up on Deore xt hubs under a 1x9 steel hardtail.
    whats the 2.8 tire you speak of?

mtbr member
    It's a Bontrager Big Earl. I very hard to find anymore, last I got was from a bike shop in Utah.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast