Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    blood in / blood out

New tire company, Terrene Tires

I have not seen any talk about these new tires and just wanted to hear what people are thinking. I think it is nice to have another studded tire option but I guess we will have to see what they bring to the market.

There is some talk of them on Fat-bike.com from Interbike Outdoor Demo day 1 and some pics also. I like the look of the stud's on their tire. But I guess we'll have to see if they work in the real world. Here is their site:

Wazia | Terrene Tires
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I think they were on a bunch of demo bikes at interbike. Anyone there have any input?

since 4/10/2009
    I have seen these showing up on bikes and product literature for the past month or two.

I need another $120 fatbike tire like I need a hole in the head.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    ...I need another $120 fatbike tire like I need a hole in the head.
    Hehehehe

aka bOb
    I'm more curious about their plus offerings.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I want to see the weights of their light versions. I am running D5's right now and would be interested in these Wazia's if they are substantially lighter.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Hmm, Harold wants a 150 smacker fat tire... @.o

Hopeful to see a high quality product line that includes some non-DH + tires, too.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

Human Test Subject
    That's a Tim Krueger (previously of Salsa, currently of Advocate Cycles) company. They're probably really great. None of em fit my needs right now, but I'm following them on FB because sooner or later he'll make something I want.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I have seen these showing up on bikes and product literature for the past month or two.

I need another $120 fatbike tire like I need a hole in the head.
    My wife would kill me

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I was able to ride the Terrene Wazia 4.0 tires on an Otso Voytek demo bike yesterday. Very impressed by how low the rolling resistance was on dirt. Absolutely zero self steer and a ton of grip in some loose sandy conditions. Probably not the lightest tire available for purchase but I don't think that's the goal. There are no shortage of average grip tires for weight weenies out there.

As mentioned above, Tim Krueger is behind this tire and he was one of the early pioneers of all things Fatbike for QBP. Pretty much everything he touches is a hit.

I'm going to buy a Wazia 4.6 for a front and a Wazia 4.0 for my rear tire this season. Replacing a Bud / Nate combo & studded Dillinger 4's that could not be setup tubeless. Looks like this could be the one tire to rule them all for Winter from what I'm seeing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    only 4.6 :-(

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Hey mn_biker, where did you buy the tires from? I would also like to replace my bud/mate combo.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cdn11 View Post
    Hey mn_biker, where did you buy the tires from? I would also like to replace my bud/mate combo.
    Have not bought them yet, but they are supposedly in stock at the Angry Catfish here in Minneapolis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Quote Originally Posted by FASTFAT View Post
    only 4.6 :-(
    Huh? I rode a 4.0 yesterday.

Edit... just occurred to me you might want a 4.8 or bigger.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    4.0, 4.6, studded or unstudded. Light casing or tough casing. Options galore!
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

Human Test Subject
    I think they were complaining that 4.6 isn't big enough. My D5s are 4.5, not the claimed 4.8 or 5. Dudes and bike companies tend to add size where it isn't.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Looking forward to getting some. Thanks for the shop name mn_biker. Wonder if they ship? I'm in Canada but have access to a US address... keep us posted!
    Cheers

just ride
    Hey all - thanks for your patience as we got through our first month of being on the market. We finally have the website, shopping carts, and all other associated things fully functional, as well as all sizes and variations of the Wazia in stock. We also distribute through BTI, and you can find our stocking dealers here Dealers | Terrene Tires, or you can click on direct purchase links from our website Wazia | Terrene Tires

As always, feel free to fire questions at me!
    Steel is Real: www.advocatecycles.com
    Tires for real rides: www.terrenetires.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    How much does each model weigh?
    Latitude 61

Jammin' Econo
    The Wazia looks great, and I've been hearing a lot of good things about the quality of Terrene tires. I'm also glad to see a new offering that comes unstudded, but with stud pockets. Looking forward to trying these out!
    I dream of a day when my children will live in a world without the shackles of cause and effect.” - S. Colbert

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Looking forward to a comparison between the 4.6 studded version and the Wrathchild - measurements on rim sizes, # studs, weights, etc. They look like tires with similar functionality.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Just got stud less Dillinger 5s that I will be studding with flat tip studs. I knew about these from their intro a few months ago, but did not realize they already available. Knowing that, would have tried the 4.6" stud less version for a change. Roughly same price for what I paid for D5s.

Sub'd for user reviews.
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3
    2016 Norco Sasquatch 6.1

mtbr member
    Weights would be nice.

mtbr member
    Are there soft tread compounds?
    The bike is never to heavy, you are just to WEAK!

sluice box
    1668g and bead to bead measured out the same as my D5 at 240mm
    105mm casing on BR710 80mm rims.

I'm looking at running one of these with my D5. What does the collective think front Wizia D5 rear or vise versa?
    Last edited by Co-opski; 12-05-2016 at 06:13 PM.
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Finally have my new 4.6 Light Terrene Wazia's mounted up to Surly Marge Lite rims and got a couple rides in. Haven't been able to fully test them, but a few early observations:

- Incredibly low rolling resistance. I knew this from my demo of the 4.0 Wazia's, but did an 8 mile ride on pavement and dirt yesterday. Felt much faster than my Dillinger / Husker Du summer tires.
    - Others have talked about having a tire with a soft compound and I didn't really know what that meant until riding these tires. They form over every little imperfection in the trail. Ran them at 11-12 PSI on dirt yesterday and they were so smooth. I'm guessing 8-10 PSI would be optimal on dirt.
    - GRIP! I took them up a pretty steep leaf covered muddy hill (local park) and had very little slip even at 12PSI.
    - Snow... we had a little bit of wet mushy snow last night so I aired them down to 4 PSI and played around. Feel as though they had as much traction as my Nate for rear grip, but not quite as much side hill traction as my old Bud.... Time will tell.
    - No problems setting them up tubeless and they held air overnight only dropping 1 PSI.
    - Bonus! They fit on my 170MM spaced Minnesota 2.0! However that is on Marge Lites (65MM) and running 1X only on the front. The fit with 2X was close and might be able to work, but it is giving me a good reason to start running 1X in the winter.

I bought these because I was sick of going back and forth between studded Dillinger 4's and Bud / Nate last season. My early observation is they are going to be the perfect all condition winter tire. Will see if I can find some ice soon and report back on how the studs work.

If you are on the fence with this tire (or waiting for 45nrth to get some tires in stock)... you won't be disappointed! However, I'd hurry, I think the secret will get out on these tires and they will sell out quickly. My LBS (Now Bikes St. Paul) said they have been selling these tires at a brisk pace.

Pics...
    Tread Pattern...

Dillinger 4 + Nate = Terrene Wazia!

Tire folding at 4 PSI... Could easily drop them to 2.5 or 3 in the deep stuff.

Bike in question...

LCW
    mtbr member
    Thanks for your review mn_biker!!! Finally some real world feedback on how these Terrenes work.

I think I will order a set. Looking for something good in winter, studdable, rolls decent, and also can do dirt. These look like the ticket.

EVIL Following

Surly Wednesday

sluice box
    New tire company, Terrene Tires-20161201_185413-450x800-.jpg
    D5 Wazia 4,6 on DT Swiss BR710 80mm Ground Control 4,6 MuleFut 80mm
    New tire company, Terrene Tires-20161202_230035.jpg

New tire company, Terrene Tires-20161202_230104.jpg
    ptarmigan hardcore

aka bOb
    Wazia smallest of the bunch??

sluice box
    New tire company, Terrene Tires-20161202_230320-450x800-.jpg
    D5 and Wazia 4,6 on DT Swiss BR710 80mm and Bud on Specailized 90mm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New tire company, Terrene Tires-20161202_230438.jpg  

New tire company, Terrene Tires-20161202_230320.jpg  

ptarmigan hardcore

sluice box
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Wazia smallest of the bunch??
    so far yes. The D5 and Bud have had a season of tubless set up and these are just after I mounted them. I don't have calipers but with a ruler the caseing is the same on the D5 and Wazia. The lugs are more centered and narrow on the Wazia vs the D5. I wish I still had my Vee Snowshoe xl to compare it to.
    ptarmigan hardcore

sluice box
    BTW I like how the Wazia ride. Faster then Snowshoe XL, Ground Control, Nate, and Lou. Slower than HuDu and D5 but don't wash out as much. Wazia is a point and go tire.
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Co-opski View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161202_230320 (450x800).jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	212.9 KB 
ID:	1108605
    D5 and Wazia 4,6 on DT Swiss BR710 80mm and Bud on Specailized 90mm
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Co-opski again." Awesome posts, thanks, these are the questions most of us have been wondering - e.g. how will the 4.6 compare to the D5 and Wrathchild? These small sizes probably aren't what people were hoping to see - I would guess that most buyers who want chunky tread also want a chunky footprint, e.g. Bud/Lou/4.8, e.g. the tire that necessitated the 190/197 standard that most of our bikes are built around these days! If there is enough snow to require big blocks, you may also need some float.

Most manufacturers seem to be going the other direction, offering "goldilocks" 4.6 size. Reminds me of the industry largely abandoning 29+ in favor of 27.5+.

sluice box
    Quote Originally Posted by Willum View Post
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Co-opski again." Awesome posts, thanks, these are the questions most of us have been wondering - e.g. how will the 4.6 compare to the D5 and Wrathchild? These small sizes probably aren't what people were hoping to see - I would guess that most buyers who want chunky tread also want a chunky footprint, e.g. Bud/Lou/4.8, e.g. the tire that necessitated the 190/197 standard that most of our bikes are built around these days! If there is enough snow to require big blocks, you may also need some float.

Most manufacturers seem to be going the other direction, offering "goldilocks" 4.6 size. Reminds me of the industry largely abandoning 29+ in favor of 27.5+.
    I was wanting the Wrathchild and wanted something bigger than the D5. So I figured I would give the Wazia a shot.

I hear you that is why I still have my Bud and 150 grips studs around after 3 seasons. Sometimes you just want a monster tire to get you there and back.

Paging Surly to the studded tire section.
    ptarmigan hardcore

aka bOb
    I have the ability to run the biggins and I like a good 4.6. Seems to be a good happy medium weight wise yet still giving me some float at low psi.

Loud hubs save lives!
    Any Canadian distribution channels as of yet? (shipping perhaps?)

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 43st View Post
    Any Canadian distribution channels as of yet? (shipping perhaps?)
    Terrene Wazia 26x4.6 Light Folding Studded Fat Bike Tire | Fyxation

15% off code even!!!

Loud hubs save lives!
    Quote Originally Posted by dpsmith67 View Post
    So close! but I need 26x4.0. Hopefully someone else can jump on this one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    So close! but I need 26x4.0. Hopefully someone else can jump on this one.
    https://www.kruegeroutdoor.com/colle...olding-studded

Sadly, no coupon for these.

Loud hubs save lives!
    Quote Originally Posted by dpsmith67 View Post
    They didn't have much of a FAQ on international shipping. I gave it a try and it came to $423.50 USD shipped, so we'll see. It's really nice to have some more non-QBP studded options. Thanks for the links

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

They didn't have much of a FAQ on international shipping. I gave it a try and it came to $423.50 USD shipped, so we'll see. It's really nice to have some more non-QBP studded options. Thanks for the links
    Send them an email. They are very responsive unless they are out traveling.

Loud hubs save lives!
    Quote Originally Posted by mn_biker View Post
    Send them an email. They are very responsive unless they are out traveling.

I already got the shipping confirmation, so we are good to go. The "we'll see" part will be customs/import fees, those will be charged when the package arrives (depends on what broker handles the package). But yeah, they've been super fast so far.

I'm really excited to try them out. The tread pattern looks great for combating wash-out, which is probably my #1 reason for biting it.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the pics, Co-Opski. The Terrenes look like they might fit my Bucksaw. Are the studs like others, or are they the ball-in-claw type?

sluice box
    New tire company, Terrene Tires-20161201_185433small.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by dudeist View Post
    Thanks for the pics, Co-Opski. The Terrenes look like they might fit my Bucksaw. Are the studs like others, or are they the ball-in-claw type?
    Cupped claw type.
    With 156 studs less than the D5 they are sharp and scratch well, not recommended for wood floors. I did get to try them on a pond plowed for skating this weekend and they did their job. The only thing I would change is putting a stud in the outer lugs, so if you are in a turn or on an off camber trail you still would have traction.
    ptarmigan hardcore

sluice box
    I found some Vee Snowshoe XL 4,8 studded on 80mm Mulefut. D5 and Wazia 4,6 are on DT Swiss BR710 80mm.
    New tire company, Terrene Tires-20161207_001530small.jpg
    New tire company, Terrene Tires-20161207_001442small.jpg
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member
    Dec 2016

Terrene Wazia Studded Tire Review: First Impressions

Hey guys,

Saw the link to our site earlier in the thread. We just posted up an initial review on our site including weights, width on a Mulefut and some initial thoughts. We plan on getting these on the snow this weekend and we'll give a more thorough review.

Terrene Wazia Studded Tire Review: First Impressions | Fyxation

New tire company, Terrene Tires-wazia_4.jpg

New tire company, Terrene Tires-wazia_3.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I already got the shipping confirmation, so we are good to go. The "we'll see" part will be customs/import fees, those will be charged when the package arrives (depends on what broker handles the package). But yeah, they've been super fast so far.

I'm really excited to try them out. The tread pattern looks great for combating wash-out, which is probably my #1 reason for biting it.
    Have you gotten tracking information for your order yet? Excited to hear some feedback.

LCW
    mtbr member
    Nixing my Terrene plan... Slow to show up at my LBS... and he happened to receive a batch of studded D5's... so picked up a D5/D4 studded combo for a good price instead.

Still look forward to more reports from the studded Wazias this winter... Maybe next set...

EVIL Following

Surly Wednesday

The Dog.
    Just got my Wazia's. 4.6 light studded. They look awesome. Setup tubeless pretty easily on my HED's. Bead seems a little tighter than the Vanhelga and just as beefy.

Both tires do have some lateral runout to them. Unfortunately, this means that the rear rubs my 2x drivetrain on my beargrease. By measurement against the Vanhelga, they should fit, but just too much lateral runout. Still seems within spec for a fatbike tire. I was just cutting it close.

Tread blocks are just as large as the Vanhelga, but look smaller due to the larger casing size.

Studs are the sharpest studs I have ever experienced. Crazy sharp. Order of magnitude sharper than concave 45nrth studs. Mounting them was a little harrowing, actually.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FyxationTech View Post
    Hey guys,

Saw the link to our site earlier in the thread. We just posted up an initial review on our site including weights, width on a Mulefut and some initial thoughts. We plan on getting these on the snow this weekend and we'll give a more thorough review.

Terrene Wazia Studded Tire Review: First Impressions | Fyxation
    I just ordered a set for 4.6 studded from Fyxation, with the 20% off code. $360.95USD shipped to Canada. Great price.

I was initially concerned with the extra weight of the Wazia vs Dillingers, but considering the extra aggressive tread pattern it makes sense. They should be superior in softer/fresh snow with less wash-out.

Thanks to the other for their reports. Helped me make my decision. I will post a full review once I receive them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    [QUOTE=mn_biker;12941586]Finally have my new 4.6 Light Terrene Wazia's mounted up to Surly Marge Lite rims and got a couple rides in. Haven't been able to fully test them, but a few early observations:

So, how wide did the 4.6's end up on the Marge Lites?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by outlanderx7 View Post

So, how wide did the 4.6's end up on the Marge Lites?
    I don't have calipers so my ghetto method showed around 4.15-4.2 which would be consistent with what the guys at Fyxation found on mounting these to an 80mm rim in their blog post linked above.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Got mine all mounted and ready to go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New tire company, Terrene Tires-img_0196.jpg  

New tire company, Terrene Tires-img_0197.jpg  

New tire company, Terrene Tires-img_0198.jpg  

New tire company, Terrene Tires-img_0199.jpg  

New tire company, Terrene Tires-img_0204.jpg  

Loud hubs save lives!
    I mounted up the 4" studded version last week and got some time on it over the weekend. It was about 6"-8" of iced powder over rutted ice and the tire performed really well. The tire allows a surprising amount of latitude in choosing your line and just stays with you. So much so that I was actually getting a much harder workout as I was blowing through heavier sections that I would've normally avoided on non-studded tires. The tread pattern also clears build up exceptionally well.

Very impressive tires so far.

mtbr member
    First ride on the Wazia 4.6 studded. Snow was well packed single track with patches of soft snow. Tires ran flawlessly. Fast rolling with an abundance of grip. I tested off trail in soft snow and they chew thru powder well.

I experienced one minor washout thru an off-chamber soft section but the tires recovered quickly after the initial slip. My friend could not ride this section on his unstudded tires due to all the snow drifts and washout issues. I had no issues riding thru it. You can carry a lot of speed on these tires - very sturdy feeling going downhill over roots and rocks and thru turns.

Tire weight came in at 1636/1657g (300g more than Bontrager Barbis but with a lot bigger knobs).

I ran the tires tubeless. Easy setup on Mulefut 80mm rims, but wear some gloves during install. The studs are very sharp. I didn't realize my fingers were all cut up until I washed my 2nd rim with rubbing alcohol. Feels like paper cuts. Ha.

Started the day at 8/10 psi. Dropped to 6.5/8.

Another bonus: I experienced zero auto steer on a bare section of trail. I am very happy with the tires. Snow storm arriving tonight so I will be able to test in fresh snow tomorrow.

New tire company, Terrene Tires-wazia-1.jpg
    New tire company, Terrene Tires-wazia-2.jpg
    New tire company, Terrene Tires-wazia-3.jpg

mtbr member
    How easy were these to setup on DT Swiss br710 rims?

The Dog.
    I am enjoying my 4.6 light studded Wazias. Extremely tight fit in the rear end of beargrease carbon on 82mm HEDs. I had to dish my wheel over non drive side a couple of mm's.

I am running the rear reversed and the drive traction is very impressive, particularly in our current sugar snow. Definitely more drive traction then Vanhelga, which I was not expecting. The studs really bite hard. Given that there are fewer of them than even Dillinger 4, they really hook up. Less skittering even when standing.

The knobs do a better job of floating over somewhat packed/churned surfaces then Vanhelga which just cuts in hard like a saw.

I would say the only consistent failing of the Wazia is that the front tends to washout and has difficulty getting back on top of partially packed singletrack. This was the most impressive aspect of the Vanhelga.

Given the typical mixed conditions in Missoula with periods of freezing rain scattered throughout the winter, the Wazia studded will be my go-to winter tire now. There is no perfect tire, but this is the closest that I have seen to doing it all well.

I did have an issue with an unacceptable amount of lateral runout on one of the tires, but Tim Kreuger responded to my email within hours and I already have a replacement tire in hand.

New tire company, Terrene Tires-img_4032.jpg

blood in / blood out
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogdude222 View Post
    I am enjoying my 4.6 light studded Wazias. Extremely tight fit in the rear end of beargrease carbon on 82mm HEDs. I had to dish my wheel over non drive side a couple of mm's.

I am running the rear reversed and the drive traction is very impressive, particularly in our current sugar snow. Definitely more drive traction then Vanhelga, which I was not expecting. The studs really bite hard. Given that there are fewer of them than even Dillinger 4, they really hook up. Less skittering even when standing.

The knobs do a better job of floating over somewhat packed/churned surfaces then Vanhelga which just cuts in hard like a saw.

I would say the only consistent failing of the Wazia is that the front tends to washout and has difficulty getting back on top of partially packed singletrack. This was the most impressive aspect of the Vanhelga.

Given the typical mixed conditions in Missoula with periods of freezing rain scattered throughout the winter, the Wazia studded will be my go-to winter tire now. There is no perfect tire, but this is the closest that I have seen to doing it all well.

I did have an issue with an unacceptable amount of lateral runout on one of the tires, but Tim Kreuger responded to my email within hours and I already have a replacement tire in hand.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4032.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	1112064
    The tight fit on the back is because HED carbons are 85mm not 82mm. So they fill up just a little more room than Surly wheels. Nice bike by the way.
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness

The Dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by majack View Post
    The tight fit on the back is because HED carbons are 85mm not 82mm. So they fill up just a little more room than Surly wheels. Nice bike by the way.
    So they are... Not sure why I had 82 in my mind.

I think the 4.6 was cutting it close anyway.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

I think your entire review matches my experience really well. An amazing winter tire that is good enough for 95% of my winter riding. I'd even argue it is one of the best rear tires you could buy with it's combination of drive traction, studs and low rolling resistance.

Agree that it washes out more than I'd like and it seems like when I have the PSI really dialed in for the conditions it washes out less. I'm coming from a Bud, so the comparison is tough.

Will be curious how the new 45nrth Wrathchild performs as a front tire.

The Dog.
    I think your entire review matches my experience really well. An amazing winter tire that is good enough for 95% of my winter riding. I'd even argue it is one of the best rear tires you could buy with it's combination of drive traction, studs and low rolling resistance.

Agree that it washes out more than I'd like and it seems like when I have the PSI really dialed in for the conditions it washes out less. I'm coming from a Bud, so the comparison is tough.

Will be curious how the new 45nrth Wrathchild performs as a front tire.
    Glad to hear that it is not just my skills slipping away as I become older and more risk averse. I too am curious about the Wrathchild, but to be honest, I am feeling pretty done with 45NRTH and their expensive vaporware. Also, despite the possibility of new concave XL studs, I think there is an extremely low chance (<5%) that they will be remotely as sharp or effective as the Terrene studs.

mtbr member
    Anymore reviews?

mtbr member
    Fyxation sold out of 4.6 but have 4.0 and 20% discount til 12/31= $168 each. The House has 4.6 but only 5% discount.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    dudiest, did you get the 4.6's and if so do they fit on your bucksaw?

mtbr member
    They aren't wide enough to interest me. I'm running grip studs in a set of bud & lous. I'm planning on going wider than those here in a couple weeks.

mtbr member
    No, ayers, I didn't buy them. I won't pay that close to retail price. I have D4 on the back and Gripstudded Bud in front. Not bad on the Icy stuff I've been on, But I'd like more Knobbiness for fresh snow. I think the Wazias will fit the Bucksaw, though, saw calipers on them showing 4.25", I believe.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Wazia 4.6 vs Dillinger 5?

Has anyone mounted these on 100 mm rims?
    The Dillinger 5s square up nicely on Clowshoe rims, so that the edge knobs actually do something for off camber and cornering. Wondering if anyone has tried the Wazia 4.6 on a wide rim to see if that improves on its lateral grip? Compared to a D5?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quick update on my Terrene Tires. We got heavy rain followed by freezing cold temperatures in MN which means our trails are 75% ice with a majority of it being glare ice like in the picture below.

After a couple rides I can confidently say that these tires are amazing on ice. I ran Dillinger 4's last year and believe these tires have an equal amount of grip on ice. The Terrene studs are a little taller and sharper which compensates for having around 100 fewer studs per tire than the D4's.

Pic of the ice that was on 75% of the trail today.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Thanks, Mn_Biker, I'm in the same boat with the ice on the trails. Only problem is I need to buy two sets. I made the mistake of getting my girlfriend a fatbike over the holidays.

mtbr member

Quick update on my Terrene Tires. We got heavy rain followed by freezing cold temperatures in MN which means our trails are 75% ice with a majority of it being glare ice like in the picture below.

After a couple rides I can confidently say that these tires are amazing on ice. I ran Dillinger 4's last year and believe these tires have an equal amount of grip on ice. The Terrene studs are a little taller and sharper which compensates for having around 100 fewer studs per tire than the D4's.

Pic of the ice that was on 75% of the trail today.

How are they for speed vs a dillinger?

Would love to see a 27.5"x4" outside measurement 4" on a 80mm rim from these guys! Hint hint!
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    How are they for speed vs a dillinger?

Would love to see a 27.5"x4" outside measurement 4" on a 80mm rim from these guys! Hint hint!
    Depends on the conditions. Overall the Dillingers will be faster, but on glare ice I think the Terrenes are because they have fewer studs biting. However... I'm still amazed at how low the rolling resistance is with the Terrenes. The compound they used is incredible.

Actually going riding with a friend today that has studded D4's. I'll do a back to back ride over the same section and let you know.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The studded 4" Wazia does not feel any slower than my unstudded 4.6" Flow/Dunder combo. It also outperforms the Flow/Dunder in the sugary drift snow.
    Jason

mtbr member
    Depends on the conditions. Overall the Dillingers will be faster, but on glare ice I think the Terrenes are because they have fewer studs biting. However... I'm still amazed at how low the rolling resistance is with the Terrenes. The compound they used is incredible.

Actually going riding with a friend today that has studded D4's. I'll do a back to back ride over the same section and let you know.

Awesome thanks.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have had a few rides now on my Terrene 4.6 light tires I figured I can give them an honest review. I bought the non-studded tires and purchased bikestuds.com studs to put in.

My first attempt to mount the tires went really bad. The tire had a really loose fit on my mulefut and required a tube to seat the bead. After mounting tubeless the tire blew off the rim at 25ish psi making a mess of my garage and ruining the tire. Terrene was great and sent me a new tire free of charge.

I have them both mounted now and have ridden them on fresh, dry snow. My previous tires were Kenda 4.5 pro's. The Terrene tires are smaller, and I think provide less grip in loose conditions. I will keep them because of the studs and the amount of freeze thaw that we get, but overall I would say they are OK but not great tires.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Spartan, never put the sealant in before the tire is mounted and seated, ever! It's very easy to use a sizable syringe to inject sealant though the stem with the valve core removed. Lesser mess/disaster risk and conserves sealant.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by spartan_msu View Post
    The Terrene tires are smaller, and I think provide less grip in loose conditions.
    What PSI were you running in the loose stuff? I found they really start digging in the fresh / loose snow at 2-4 PSI. Give it a try if you haven't.

mtbr member
    Wazia 4.6 - studded, front and rear on DT Swiss BR 710 rims (set up with tubes - for now).

Although I don't have a ton of miles on my Wazias yet, I did a longer ride yesterday, and my initial impressions are a bit different than above. I found that set at about 5psi they did great on trails varying from 1-2" of fresh snow over pack, ice and crust, loose corners, and hard-packed/groomed.

On some climbs with cold (6*), loose, dry snow over smooth/glazed ice, the rear tire would slip a bit before the studs and tread would dig in and catch traction - but never really enough to lose full traction or feel uncomfortable.

Definitely some self steer at 5psi on asphalt, but again, predictable.

The Dog.
    I have had a few rides now on my Terrene 4.6 light tires I figured I can give them an honest review. I bought the non-studded tires and purchased bikestuds.com studs to put in.

My first attempt to mount the tires went really bad. The tire had a really loose fit on my mulefut and required a tube to seat the bead. After mounting tubeless the tire blew off the rim at 25ish psi making a mess of my garage and ruining the tire. Terrene was great and sent me a new tire free of charge.

I have them both mounted now and have ridden them on fresh, dry snow. My previous tires were Kenda 4.5 pro's. The Terrene tires are smaller, and I think provide less grip in loose conditions. I will keep them because of the studs and the amount of freeze thaw that we get, but overall I would say they are OK but not great tires.
    Wow, I have to say that my experience is also very different then this. Mounted up easily on my HEDs with a flashcharger pump. Tubeless has been bomber reliable even at very low pressures (2-3) and temps (-10F).

I would still say that I have had some issues with front washout, but as our windblown, dry sugar snow has gotten a bit more moisture and packed in, they have gotten better and better in this regard. I am still blown away by the rear traction, even compared to a Vanhelga, which I consider to be class leading for its size. Interestingly, the Terrene's seem to respond much better to steady, gentle pedaling rather than the max-effort, snow roosting approach that the Vanhelgas like. I have come up to some steep sections with uneven, boot packed and windblown snow thinking that there was no way. I just did a zen breath, moved the weight back, and pedaled smoothly right up without any issue.

I really like the Terrenes. They are a great tire for where I live and ride. I am so happy to finally have a studded option with decent, beefy tread. I don't need the studs for our trails, but rather to keep me upright on the way to the trails.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Spartan, never put the sealant in before the tire is mounted and seated, ever! It's very easy to use a sizable syringe to inject sealant though the stem with the valve core removed. Lesser mess/disaster risk and conserves sealant.

The bead was seated without sealant, I used a syringe, then inflated the tire to 25psi at which time it blew the seated bead off the rim.

I have been running the tires between 3-6 psi depending on conditions. They offer good straight line traction, but get loose in the corners, more so than my juggernauts in the same conditions/ pressures.

Like a FirePlug
    Wow, I have to say that my experience is also very different then this. Mounted up easily on my HEDs with a flashcharger pump. Tubeless has been bomber reliable even at very low pressures (2-3) and temps (-10F).

I would still say that I have had some issues with front washout, but as our windblown, dry sugar snow has gotten a bit more moisture and packed in, they have gotten better and better in this regard. I am still blown away by the rear traction, even compared to a Vanhelga, which I consider to be class leading for its size. Interestingly, the Terrene's seem to respond much better to steady, gentle pedaling rather than the max-effort, snow roosting approach that the Vanhelgas like. I have come up to some steep sections with uneven, boot packed and windblown snow thinking that there was no way. I just did a zen breath, moved the weight back, and pedaled smoothly right up without any issue.

I really like the Terrenes. They are a great tire for where I live and ride. I am so happy to finally have a studded option with decent, beefy tread. I don't need the studs for our trails, but rather to keep me upright on the way to the trails.
    I concur. Even when the back end starts getting loose, either on ice or snow, it catches very quickly and predictably.

I've enjoyed it thus far.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    Keep the Rubber Side Down

mtbr member
    Bought a pair yesterday. Accidentally also a 2016 Mukluk as its cost was only approximately 6 Wazias

Notes so far: these tires are heavy - approximate weight was 1,7 kg per tire () as I did not have a proper scale at hand. They were also quite tight to fit on mulefut rims. The rolling resistance seemed to be quite good although the tires did not feel nearly as supple as Bud and JJ tubeless (not a surprise though). It felt that the tire would oversteer a little when cornering (that was at 5,7 psi front) but that is probably something that one forgets after first ride. I did not want to risk losing studs so I cycled very carefully so as of yet, can't say how they bite. The initial tyre widths were 104 mm (casing) and 108 mm (knobs) at 12 PSI. Don't know whether they will stretch much after tubeless conversion as the tyres' sidewalls are quite thick.
    Last edited by kyttyra; 01-10-2017 at 03:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    My Wazia 4.6 studded is 1616g. Inside bead-bead is about 240mm

mtbr member
    Update: I converted the 4.6" Wazias to tubeless with Gorilla tape (although I intend to use a proper tape when I change to summer tyres. The Wazias inflated easily with a floor pump, and seem to hold air well. Their width is currently 110 mm at 8 psi on Mulefut rims.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    My 4.0 studded wazia's aired up easily tubeless with fattystrippers on marge lites (Bucksaw) and Orange seal but are losing air more than normal. They maintain even pressure through the ride but lose a bit more than I'm used to seeing over the course of a few days. Other than that my experience is similar to others here; they roll at least as well as the Vanhelgas, handle well and have similar grip with the addition of being safer on the ice. I went out and found some glare ice to test on and while it's not 100% grip on glare ice, it's stable and predictable. The one tire I weighed was 1407g which is pretty decent for a studded 4" tire.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Well we got a rain/sleet/freeze here mid week leaving a nice solid sheet of ice over everything (no snow base). The trails look to be un-rideable without studs with this layer of ice on them. I'm sure you could try but you'd spend too much time walking hills or falling down to be any fun.

Luckily I just got my Wazia 4.6's mounted and ready. I've put two decent rides in on them in these conditions and can say that I'm pretty happy right now. They do roll well compared to the Bud/Lou I've been riding. I don't know how they would do in any kind of snow yet but on the ice they were easy to ride and predictable for sure. I wouldn't dream of pushing super hard in these conditions with them because you can make them slide for sure but I was able to ride a moderate pace and have plenty of traction going up and down. Enough so to make these conditions easily passible.

For me these are mounted on Rollin Darryl wheels with tubes. I'm 6'4", 250# with gear and I like them most aired to 5f/6r. Lower than then really slowed them down with my big butt on them, higher didn't have enough give to dig in well on climbs.

3SA
    mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    This is my first winter riding and with the constantly changing conditions I've decided to get studded tires. Because of my inability to make a timely decision on the Wazias, the studded 4.6" sold out. I bought the 4.6" light unstudded tires and 45 nrth replacement studs but am now waffling on whether this setup will be worth the $$ without having Terrene's studs or whether I should just try to unload what I bought and order 4" studded before they are gone.

I wish there was a way to buy the correct studs, but I'm not seeing an avenue for that. I went with the 4.6" to have a larger option since I already have 4" tires for other uses- but maybe this logic isn't correct?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Considering this is my first set of studded tires I'm certainly no expert but I think you'll be fine. The Terrene studs are pretty darn sharp but I think the difference from 45nrth to Terrene studs is minimal compared to having no studs.

I've got three rides on the Wazia's and while they are not like riding on hero dirt when it's icy I can't imagine not running studs anymore.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The 45nrth studs are very similar to the Terrene studs. Out of the box the Terrenes might be a hair sharper, but not a world of difference. After wearing down I bet they are virtually indistinguishable.
    I have 45nrth, Vee, and Terrene studded tires. The ones that really suck are the Vee studs. Been ridding studded fatbike tires for 3 years, including Gripstuds and Koldkutters.

Go with the Wazia and 45Nrth studs, it will be great.

3SA
    mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Thanks so much for the input Troy and Tjaard! I'll just roll with what I have right now (4.6" Wazia & 45nth studs). I did hear back last night from Terrene about being able to buy the Terrene studs in the future and this was the information that I received in case anyone is interested in going this route:

"Yes – we’ll have stud kits available at the end of the month. They’ll run $80.00 and will include 160 studs to fit the 154 stud pockets on all Wazia tires with a few extra for those fall under the workbench situations. We’ll also have a stud insertion tool that will run $20.00 at the same time as the stud kits.

The stud kits and insertion tools will be up on our web store as soon as they’re received in the warehouse."

Thanks again for the feedback- hopefully this set-up will maximize my riding days!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    After having to ditch Dunderbeist because sidewall/bead failure I switch to Wazia 4.6 in rear. The nobs are not as tall and in my opinion don't bite as well in softer snow. Running in reverse has helped a bit and low pressure even more. Didn't trust throwing another Dunder on but convinced the Wazia is best choice for softer snow riding (but not bad enough to switch). It does roll well on firmer snow. Wouldn't mind trying a Maxxis fbr. Just my 2 cents worth.

mtbr member
    I've been riding the Wazias for a couple of weeks now as my commute has been mostly ice/sleet. When compared to Bud/JJ 4.4" it feels that they are somewhat slower. It may be that the weight of whole wheelset makes them feel more sluggish than they are as the studless tires were mounted on 65 mm rims and thus the increase of rotating masses was about 800 g.

On the other hand, there is less road buzz and after accelerating to cruising speed they feel to roll quite well. I've been using 7.5 psi front (slight oversteering) and 8 psi rear.

I have no experience from other studded fat tires, but the overall feeling when riding these is confidence. On snow the front washes out more easily that Bud (no surprise). On bare ice, or ice with some water/powdery snow over it they are no match for, say, Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pros. Then again, when riding with ISP:s there's no doubt that you are riding with spike tires - the Wazias feel more like normal fat tires with benefits
    Last edited by kyttyra; 02-03-2017 at 05:06 AM.

mtbr member
    I have had the Wazia 4.6 studded since XMAS. Tires are great on every condition I could throw at them. From 8" of fresh snow to pure ice, hardpack, uneven ice. You name it. They have done well. There is still the occasional washout of the front tire in soft snow on uneven terrain, but I imagine every tire has this issue. (To test, I put my summer tire on the front in 8" of fresh snow and it was game over - unrideable - when you hit a rut. The Wazia was manageable)

I run tubeless and average 6/7 psi, and will drop lower for fresh powder. Tires are also very fast rolling on hardpack and dirt mix, considering they have a lot aggressive rubber. Zero complaints!!

Here is a video I shot with my phone on sheer river ice. Damn it was slippery to walk on. The Wazia's performed flawlessly. (holding the phone and handlebar with one hand shows how much I trusted the Wazias. I rode the creek for over 2km)

FB&H rider
    That's some really cool footage geop.
    I think I'll be getting a pair of non-studded Wazias for all around use... obviously won't be riding ice like that but otherwise looks great!
    'Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill'

2016 Trek Farley 5 "Farley"
    2017 Growler Mr Big Stuff "Sir Fatsalot"

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Yup, a little weight shift and some patience and these tires will get you there. I've been very happy with them in quite a variety of conditions from dry and rocky to crusty snow, soft(ish) snow and slush. The only issues I've had have been rider based

The bead was seated without sealant, I used a syringe, then inflated the tire to 25psi at which time it blew the seated bead off the rim.

I have been running the tires between 3-6 psi depending on conditions. They offer good straight line traction, but get loose in the corners, more so than my juggernauts in the same conditions/ pressures.
    Why would you go to 25psi? Maybe my Thumper wheels are just better but my Wazia 4.6's seated at 11-12psi.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Studded 4.0's corner awesome on dry 60F degree trail!
    Climbing; not so much.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by geop View Post
    I have had the Wazia 4.6 studded since XMAS. Tires are great on every condition I could throw at them. From 8" of fresh snow to pure ice, hardpack, uneven ice. You name it. They have done well. There is still the occasional washout of the front tire in soft snow on uneven terrain, but I imagine every tire has this issue. (To test, I put my summer tire on the front in 8" of fresh snow and it was game over - unrideable - when you hit a rut. The Wazia was manageable)

I run tubeless and average 6/7 psi, and will drop lower for fresh powder. Tires are also very fast rolling on hardpack and dirt mix, considering they have a lot aggressive rubber. Zero complaints!!

Here is a video I shot with my phone on sheer river ice. Damn it was slippery to walk on. The Wazia's performed flawlessly. (holding the phone and handlebar with one hand shows how much I trusted the Wazias. I rode the creek for over 2km)

Awesome!!

mtbr member
    I swapped to summer tires yesterday. While 4.6" Wazia was noticeably wider (5 mm) than 4.4" Jumbo Jim, the latter seemed to be almost as tall (judging from the space between chainstay and shoulder knobs).

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Has anyone heard from these guys lately? I ordered two studded Wazias in December for my Flume and one of them blew off the rim before I could get it seated. I emailed info@terrenetires.com about it and got a reply from Tim who said the bead probably broke inside the casing and they'd send me a replacement. That was back in February and I'm still waiting. They haven't replied to any of the follow up emails I sent thanking them and inquiring about delivery, and now the site I ordered them from is gone from the internet (www.kruegeroutdoor.com) I'm wondering if they've gone bankrupt or something? If anyone has some news on Terenne, please share, thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    They just launched a new tire at Sea Otter last week, they're doing just fine! Perhaps try emailing Tim at his other address. tim@advocatecycles.com
    Jason

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    That worked, I got a response this morning saying my new tire is on the way. Thanks JAGI410!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast