Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Glad to hear it!
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I was considering buying new tires, possibly studded D-5's, however, after appreciating reading this thread, I'm sticking with my Bud & Lou's (first on Clown Shoes, now on HED BFD 100 mm rims; tubeless) which are now in their 6th season of snow (I only ride fatty in snow).
    Last year I added 90 Gripstuds in back on Lou, and 110 on Bud - love them - I'm adding 50 more this year. It really sounds like I have the best thing going for snow/hardpack/crust, and the occasional terrifying realization I've just rolled onto ice....
    Also, nice thing about Gripstuds is they screw in and don't come out - even on rocks - unlike tires with molded stud holes which often tear when a stud rips out, making it impossible to re-stud.
    I've never had even a tiny burp with this combo either, and I'll often run down to 2 psi rear Lou/ ~1 psi front Bud in soft snow (I weigh 135 lb).

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rshalit View Post
    I was considering buying new tires, possibly studded D-5's, however, after appreciating reading this thread, I'm sticking with my Bud & Lou's (first on Clown Shoes, now on HED BFD 100 mm rims; tubeless) which are now in their 6th season of snow (I only ride fatty in snow).
    Last year I added 90 Gripstuds in back on Lou, and 110 on Bud - love them - I'm adding 50 more this year. It really sounds like I have the best thing going for snow/hardpack/crust, and the occasional terrifying realization I've just rolled onto ice....
    Also, nice thing about Gripstuds is they screw in and don't come out - even on rocks - unlike tires with molded stud holes which often tear when a stud rips out, making it impossible to re-stud.
    I've never had even a tiny burp with this combo either, and I'll often run down to 2 psi rear Lou/ ~1 psi front Bud in soft snow (I weigh 135 lb).
    Being a beanpole sure is luxurious!
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

sluice box
    Quote Originally Posted by rshalit View Post
    Sorry but never losing Gripstuds is a lye. I used to run the Bud and Lou with Gripstuds and I have lost many as the screw auger part starts to cut away at the knobs of the tread they do fall out as they start to tear the tread off. I have lost studs on Vee Snowshoes, Dillingers and Wazias. Me 180 lbs all winter (October to May) mixed Alaskan riding. BTW I only found the Bud and Lou to work well in off trail bushwacking but general trail riding most other tires rolled better.
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    How is the Wazia 4.6 Lite non studded as a front tire vs. Jumbo Jim 4.8 or 45nrth Flowbeist?

sluice box
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    How is the Wazia 4.6 Lite non studded as a front tire vs. Jumbo Jim 4.8 or 45nrth Flowbeist?
    Flowbeist would be the best all around non-studded and Wazia and JJ being similar in cornering with the JJ rolling smother overall.
    ptarmigan hardcore

Human Test Subject
    I ordered stud plugs for my Gravdals on my commuter. I said in the shipping instructions "package them with love. If you don't, I'll be able to tell"
    New tire company, Terrene Tires-img_20180118_105023097.jpg
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Has anyone tried running a Wazia reversed in the rear for snow?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I debated putting my rear one on backwards when I put them on last week, but the tread pattern doesn't really make that worth while, They already have the "paddles" facing the right direction. This is a great snow tire as is!
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    anyone else having burping issues with the cake eaters at 10psi or under?

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Yes I had trouble with my rear tire under about 10psi. i tried 3 times with it holding air at higher pressure. As soon as I went low they would burp until flat. I ended up throwing a tube in. The front is holding up well down to 4psi. Fwiw, I feel like these tires don't like super soft pressures.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hillclimbevo View Post
    Yes I had trouble with my rear tire under about 10psi. i tried 3 times with it holding air at higher pressure. As soon as I went low they would burp until flat. I ended up throwing a tube in. The front is holding up well down to 4psi. Fwiw, I feel like these tires don't like super soft pressures.
    ah, my rear is essentially doing the same thing. it is annoying, as i cannot run the pressure i would like for traction, and i am worried i am going to smash a wheel.

I know another person that is running cake eaters. he had to pump up 4x during a ride, then after it flatted, he quit the ride early and went back to the car....

i think the beads are manufactured a touch too large. I am going to try them on another set of rims and see what happens.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Well that's a bummer. I've been riding the Wazia without problems with a low pressure split tube setup. I need one more tire so I was considering the CE but with this little issue I may be sticking with the Wazia. The split tube adds a bit of diameter to the bead seat which may help too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I've got my Cake Eater on a Jackalope. It wasn't as tight a fit as the Gnarwhal I'm running in front and required a compressor to seat up were the Gnarwhal seated with a floor pump, but I've ridden below 7psi without issues - not even any sealant showing near the bead. That said, the rides have been on icy trails so I've yet to really stress them. Next ride I may try 5 psi just to see if it holds.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Wazia is kind of like a Ground Control 4.6. Rolls very well but not the best lateral grip and not great when it gets loose or slightly wet above the freezing point. The Wrathchild has great grip for a rear tire, though I did have some quality issues and design issues with it. It is a new design and uses XL studs (more leverage) so all is forgiven. I love it as a rear tire though and I'm sure it rolls slower than the Wazia or Cake Eater. My fav front is the Bud but the Wazia is decent there and the top choice for studded. I am going to stud my Wazia this Friday.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I have run down to 2.5psi with my wazias tubeless on marge lites with fattystrippers with no issues. The bead snaps into place nicely and requires a firm push to dislodge when changing tires.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rcracer2 View Post
    The bead snaps into place nicely and requires a firm push to dislodge when changing tires.
    I can debead mine with my thumb even inflated @ 10psi... Clearly there is an issue with my tire.

I contacted Terrene and they are sending a replacement.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Glad to hear it. I did 10+ miles on mine last night (one Cake Eater 27.5x4 in the rear on Jackalope) ~7psi - trails are now mainly dirt and ice with some short snow sections and the tires got a workout with some small drops, bashing on rocks, scrambling up ice and rock, etc. No issues, peeps, or burps.

Like a FirePlug
    Using all 4.6 inches of my Wazia's today.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Keep the Rubber Side Down

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12