mtbr member

Idea! New style of fatbike racing.

I love the look of a fatbike as much as anyone. However, the fatbike community is missing an opportunity of doing something different when in comes to racing and promoting this sport.

In the winter, fatbikes rule. However, if the sport is to go mainstream. It must appeal to the majority. Yet, most still Think of a fatbike as a winter sport.

With local groups lacking the funding. Fatbikes only in the hands of the minority. We as fatbikers should try to expand beyond the norm. Why we choose to run the same style of races that everyone has been doing since the beginning. Racers lineup, first one across the line wins.

Because in most cycling group's only a Few own a fatbike. So, getting more riders on these and into the sport would seem to be the priory.

Also, summer racing xc events all seem to run the same style format. What if fatbikes had a different style of race? Something that would bring more spectators, racer's and eventually more involvement. I feel it would grow at a faster rate while creating note excitement.

I call it fat bike relays...

You would have 4 or 5 members to a team. (This saves money, instead of one family coming to a race you have 4 or 5 families coming out per team)
    Thus, increasing exposure.

Two, it would be formatted like relay races that you did in school. However, the had off would be the bike and a wristband. What's missing at most standard format racing is drama. This is created at the moment of exchange, were anything can happen.

As the sports grows, the exchange of the bike can be reduced to just the wristband.

Rules are simple. The wristband must be in place before forward movement would be allowed, If the racer were to drop his or her wristband they would need to pick it up before forward progress is allowed. This creates drama along with excitement for both. Riders and Spectator, something that missing for the normal format.

The tire size that would qualify to run this event we can workout together.
    I have more to add for this but don't have the time at this moment.

Thought's?

No I'm not crazy.

Before you respond, ask yourself...

At this time, wouldn't a multi member team progress the sport faster the a one man show?

Wouldn't that equal more people at races, thus, more reason sponsorship?

This style of event can easily be attached to any groups program due it's cost effectiveness?

I Will continue to promote this to any MTB group around the US and Europe.

If two guys can come up with global fat bike day. Then one guy can come up with a new way of doing things.

Frederick Robles.

=========
    Good idea, however a rather old idea - the first race like this was 3 years ago - Wisconsin - FatTrack Team SnowBike Enduro

People love it....we stopped using this exact format because so many people bought fat-bikes. YMMV
    owner/raconteur at fat-bike.com

Nuts
    Oooops Gomez beat me to it.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ~gomez~ View Post
    Good idea, however a rather old idea - the first race like this was 3 years ago - Wisconsin - FatTrack Team SnowBike Enduro

People love it....we stopped using this exact format because so many people bought fat-bikes. YMMV
    What about getting the fatbike out of the cold? You'll get more attention when the weather is warmer.

That's when most fatbikes go into hibernation.

Thanks for the link. I'm new to the fatbike world (yes, you can tell) and i will be getting my first soon.

mtbr member
    Do you guys use a wristband also?

=========
    Quote Originally Posted by Solo-Rider View Post
    What about getting the fatbike out of the cold? You'll get more attention when the weather is warmer.

That's when most fatbikes go into hibernation.

Thanks for the link. I'm new to the fatbike world (yes, you can tell) and i will be getting my first soon.
    If you think fat-bike hibernate in the warm weather, please click on my signature and I think you'll find information to the contrary....or click the daily fat-bike photo thread, or just buy one and see for yourself.

Like I said great idea! Go forth and multiply - in any season or continent that you choose.
    owner/raconteur at fat-bike.com

mtbr member
    I have seen fb's the trail but at any scale like a 29er or anything else. But, I'll push forward at least around here.

Thanks for the input.

P.S. I have seen your site, I like it. I just haven't gone through the thing yet. :-)

Black Sheep rising
    FWIW, I have done 7 or 8 races this year, all but 1 or 2 on a fat bike (one was on my half-fat Jones). But, generally speaking, I am slow enough that having a different bike will make little to no difference. OTOH, I know of a couple of people who race their Fat Bikes (Beargreases, 1 carbon) in "regular" races and do very well. In their case, the motor overcomes the fact that a Fat Bike may not be the right tool for the job. For the vast majority in the middle, skinny-tired bikes are faster, and that's what races are all about, no?
    Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06

mtbr member
    You'd still need multiple bikes per team....everyone's a different size. I like my bike set up a certain way, even compared to people the same size. I race my fatty in the summer and it gets plenty of exposure. I just don't really see the point, I think it would further the gap between skinny and fat, making it more of a specialized event, with less people attending. I'm more for pushing a fatbike category in normal races. We are organizing a fatbike race in conjunction with a Nordic ski event/winter festival this winter and will have demo rides for non racers. The more people that see them and ride them the better.

"You're like a Ferrari engine driving a dump truck"

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The best way to grow fat bikes in races is to race them, any race, any where, any time and that's up to us who own them. I'm a fan of race your category ( age, skill, etc.) on your fat bike and turn a few heads along the way. But I'm more convinced the growth of the sport lies with the non-competitive rider. The biggest selling points in favor of a fatbike is that it is a 12 months of riding bike no matter where you live. Festival events that could cater to hard core riders as well as families might do more in the long run. There are way more cyclists at citizens' rides than races.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Iowa City did a Fat-Bike Enduro last year and it was a blast. Team or solo, it didn't matter, everyone had a great time and did their own thing. You didn't need a fat bike to enter, you were put on a team and raced.

I think racing is great and helps the sport grow, but the majority of fat bikers here in the Quad Cities are more into organized group rides- meet at a certain time, drink beers, stomp around some off road awesomeness, and head back to starting point where we laugh, eat and drink. Our local ride gathered some 50+ fat bikes in Eastern Iowa/Western Illinois. It was organized, which people like. Not a lot of thinking, just fun and laughs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raul34 View Post

I think racing is great and helps the sport grow, but the majority of fat bikers here in the Quad Cities are more into organized group rides- meet at a certain time, drink beers, stomp around some off road awesomeness, and head back to starting point where we laugh, eat and drink. Our local ride gathered some 50+ fat bikes in Eastern Iowa/Western Illinois. It was organized, which people like. Not a lot of thinking, just fun and laughs.
    Awesome, that's one way to get much needed exposure to peak interest in the general public. Most people that own a bicycle don't belong to a group or club. Most have no intention of ever seeing a bike race.

The general riding public, just wants to have a good time at their pace.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tommillermn View Post
    But I'm more convinced the growth of the sport lies with the non-competitive rider. The biggest selling points in favor of a fatbike is that it is a 12 months of riding bike no matter where you live. Festival events that could cater to hard core riders as well as families might do more in the long run. There are way more cyclists at citizens' rides than races.
    I agree 100%

The idea was finding a way to bring more people to the sport. This approach could be applied to any established group outing. A fun and simple way of entertaining with your friends and family. Yet, bringing fat bikes out of the cold and into the forefront.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schott View Post
    You'd still need multiple bikes per team....everyone's a different size. I like my bike set up a certain way, even compared to people the same size. I race my fatty in the summer and it gets plenty of exposure. The more people that see them and ride them the better.

"You're like a Ferrari engine driving a dump truck"
    I understand what you're saying. But, I like to call it. Making due with what you have. Choosing teammates close to your build. Adding adjustable seat post clamps and stems can help. Pre marking the placement for each rider should make the transition quicker.

It just for fun anyway.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Sounds kind of like the Little 500
    Little 500 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ofcourse this race requires a fixed bicycle type with little room for change. I would hate to see that for fatbikes.

Craig

mtbr member
    Out of all the things that can be done to bring fatbikes to the forefront. What should be done?

If we could make a list and incorporate some of that into our cycling groups routine. We can really get things moving.

It's about all of us making an effective effort.