mtbr member
    Aug 2011

New studded fat, 45 north.

Wrathchild, aggressive 26x4.6, wide spaced big lugs, concave studs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Looks like a nice tire - in particular the deep and open tread looks like a big improvement on the D5, but the tubeless ready part makes me sad. I have yet to see a tubeless ready fat bike tire that doesn't roll like I am dragging my brakes when it is cold (like <-10f ). Perhaps that is a small part of their market..

Human Test Subject
    Thanks for going through the trouble to provide a picture and link.
    Name:  Wrathchild_TR4593_01.png
Views: 2584
Size:  161.6 KB
    Wrathchild | 45NRTH
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

mtbr member
    Dang, if I had known this was coming, I would have kept my Beargrease. Sold it to buy a bike that could fit studded D5's. (Assuming these are a bit smaller than D5s, and would fit the Beargrease)

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    They are supposed to be slightly bigger:
    http://45nrth.com/files/pages/20162_..._Update_VF.pdf

New studded fat, 45 north.-screen-shot-2016-09-08-9.57.25-am.jpg

mtbr member
    Still can't find the XL studs anywhere. Anyone?
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brentos View Post
    Dang, if I had known this was coming, I would have kept my Beargrease. Sold it to buy a bike that could fit studded D5's. (Assuming these are a bit smaller than D5s, and would fit the Beargrease)
    Studded D5's fit on my Beargrease even on hundos!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jpfurn View Post
    Plenty of room on Beargrease with 80mm wide rims!!! Flow and Dunder fit with room to spare as well. I assume the Wrathchild will fit too...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by spruceboy View Post
    Looks like a nice tire - in particular the deep and open tread looks like a big improvement on the D5, but the tubeless ready part makes me sad. I have yet to see a tubeless ready fat bike tire that doesn't roll like I am dragging my brakes when it is cold (like <-10f ). Perhaps that is a small part of their market..
    Isn't everyone running tubeless? Less rolling resistance and not dragging a 1 lb tube in rotating weight? Seriously, what am I missing to your post? I get they have a thicker casing. It's a 4.6" tire at 4-8 psi? Rolling fast? I guess all my fat bike tires are tubeless ready and have only run tubeless. Regular tires with tubes are better/faster/ less draggy?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpfurn View Post
    Well, damn. 1x11 standard chainline? My measurements indicated it may and should work, but some other posts and threads had me believing it wouldn't.

At least the new bike is sweet too...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Isn't everyone running tubeless? Less rolling resistance and not dragging a 1 lb tube in rotating weight? Seriously, what am I missing to your post? I get they have a thicker casing. It's a 4.6" tire at 4-8 psi? Rolling fast? I guess all my fat bike tires are tubeless ready and have only run tubeless. Regular tires with tubes are better/faster/ less draggy?
    I am not sure why, but all the "tubeless ready" tires I have tried (several v-rubber tires, bontrager's barbegazi, and a maxxis tire) all roll really slowly at cold temperatures. Slower than a tubed "normal" fat bike tire, and slower than a tubeless "normal" fat bike tire. This pretty much does away with any advantages of the tubeless part.

I don't know if it is the thicker casings, different rubber, or whatever - I just know they ride slow in the cold. And it isn't just me - the LBSs in my area have stopped stocking tubeless fatbike tires just for this reason.

I don't think it is a big deal if you don't ride in cold temperatures. However, where I live, in Fairbanks Ak, it is cold at lot, and having tires that are boat anchors when it is cold isn't fun.

EDIT: By cold I mean colder than -10f. The colder it is, the more noticeable the difference is.
    Last edited by spruceboy; 09-08-2016 at 01:21 PM. Reason: clarifying what I mean by cold .

mtbr member
    Anyways, looks like a pretty cool tire. Might pair this up front with a studded D5 rear, for lower rolling resistance...

I do wish they sold a non-studded version, because it is MUCH cheaper to stud them yourself.
    Last edited by brentos; 09-08-2016 at 02:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Hmmm......

I think I'll try to do some sort of semi controlled test of my Barbi's soon.

Paved hill, 10 psi, same weight and get a high mph reading at 70f and 0f before I swap them for studs.

My uneducated seat o the pants meter was shocked at how much faster I felt when I went from tubed and studded D5's to tubeless Barbis last spring.

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Anyways, looks like a pretty cool tire. Might pair this up front with a studded D5 rear, for lower rolling resistance...
    Ya, that's what I'm thinking too although I normally like having both tires as similar as possible for more predictable cornering.

Darn you 45NRTH!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Glad they won't fit on my Bucksaw or I'd have to buy some new tires to try
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

Jammin' Econo
    The Wrathchild looks wicked. But thankfully for my pocketbook, I'm still running a perfectly good pair of studded D5s for winter, and they've been great.

And as much as I think 45N is generally a good company, I'm just going to say it - I think it's totally lame that they are not offering non-studded versions of their tires anymore.
    I dream of a day when my children will live in a world without the shackles of cause and effect.” - S. Colbert

Anchorage, AK
    I am not sure why, but all the "tubeless ready" tires I have tried (several v-rubber tires, bontrager's barbegazi, and a maxxis tire) all roll really slowly at cold temperatures. Slower than a tubed "normal" fat bike tire, and slower than a tubeless "normal" fat bike tire. This pretty much does away with any advantages of the tubeless part.

I don't know if it is the thicker casings, different rubber, or whatever - I just know they ride slow in the cold. And it isn't just me - the LBSs in my area have stopped stocking tubeless fatbike tires just for this reason.

I don't think it is a big deal if you don't ride in cold temperatures. However, where I live, in Fairbanks Ak, it is cold at lot, and having tires that are boat anchors when it is cold isn't fun.

EDIT: By cold I mean colder than -10f. The colder it is, the more noticeable the difference is.
    Interesting. I have been rolling Jumbo Jims (liteskins) this summer they are not marketed as tubeless ready, but they are super easy to set up tubeless and don't lose a drop of sealant. They also have WAY less rolling resistance than any other fat tire (including Floyds). I am strongly considering studding them this winter, but I wonder how they'll really do in cold weather compared to the '16 Dillingers.
    --Peace

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars_D View Post
    Interesting. I have been rolling Jumbo Jims (liteskins) ...They also have WAY less rolling resistance than any other fat tire ...I am strongly considering studding them this winter, but I wonder how they'll really do in cold weather compared to the '16 Dillingers.
    FWIW, I've had similar thoughts to stud the Jumbo Jims. My experience is that, at least for the 2015 4" versions, the non studded JJ did better than the non studded D4.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

AK? Real winter. Boston, MA area rider here. Rubber durometer issues? I run the v rubber snowshoe, D4's, hodags and the Spec. fast track. My cold is not that cold usually. Maybe 10-30F. Lots of freeze thaw here. But rarely that cold. Some rubber science behind this? Any engineers on board?

mtbr member
    Has anybody seen a claimed weight for these?

Anchorage, AK
    FWIW, I've had similar thoughts to stud the Jumbo Jims. My experience is that, at least for the 2015 4" versions, the non studded JJ did better than the non studded D4.
    What method did you use to stud them?
    --Peace

Elitest thrill junkie
    Riders of winter know, studs ain't just for ice. Any tire I run as a winter tire has got to be studded, for powder, roots, hard frozen/frosted dirt, ice, and everything else. Disclaimer: I live north of 45 degrees
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Riders of winter know, studs ain't just for ice. Any tire I run as a winter tire has got to be studded, for powder, roots, hard frozen/frosted dirt, ice, and everything else. Disclaimer: I live north of 45 degrees
    I just have to disagree with this a bit. I totally get riding with studs in the winter for those icy spots that always come up unexpectedly. No real downside to running studs for sure. But for me and how I ride they do not add much in softer than ice conditions. I am not disputing that they do for you, just saying not all riders of winter have the exact same experience.
    Latitude 61

Norđwegr
    I'm at 69*, I don't disagree with what you're saying; but I don't see it as a requirement

rth009
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    I just have to disagree with this a bit. I totally get riding with studs in the winter for those icy spots that always come up unexpectedly. No real downside to running studs for sure. But for me and how I ride they do not add much in softer than ice conditions. I am not disputing that they do for you, just saying not all riders of winter have the exact same experience.
    Agreed. I have not seen any benefit to studs other than on ice, but around here there are few roots and they are usually covered in snow by the time ice is an issue. There's certainly no downside to studs on snow except for when you have a long section pavement showing through. I end up driving to the trailhead more often in the deep winter because of that.

Along these lines it's getting dark earlier ... ice and darkness will be here soon

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Werd. @ 10k' elevation and the only ice is under 6+' of powder, I have not witnessed an improvement to having studs. I'll be down to the desert come freeze/thaw season...
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Anyone know about price and availability? These aren't showing up on QBP.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Werd. @ 10k' elevation and the only ice is under 6+' of powder, I have not witnessed an improvement to having studs. I'll be down to the desert come freeze/thaw season...
    If it's always powder, I wouldn't see much benefit, except that powder falling on a hard surface compresses and I do feel I get some traction boost, but it depends on the powder(how much) and conditions.. Since it's below freezing for all winter here and the ground is always well below freezing (even if the air is above, whatever falls will eventually freeze into ice), it makes a lot of sense. Trails get packed from XC ski use, from foot traffic, and everything else. It's far from "glaze ice" or "solid ice", but you get a ton more traction with the studs, allowing you to lean the bike over in turns and generally have far better control. And then there are the mixed conditions, sometimes involving roots, etc. They just do better everywhere IMO. I have a feeling some of the conditions people are using fatbikes in involve a lot of above-freezing slush, the occasional snow-storm, and so on. In those conditions, yes, probably of marginal use, but in a cold climate, every day and sunday. When the trails get real hard (again, not necessarily solid ice), some people break out the skinny bikes with studded tires. Back in the day, that was the thing to do, fatbikes are far more popular here now and it's a lot easier to grab that "one bike that works all the time" in the winter anyway.

I just deleted a bunch of my winter videos for some new uploads, but here's one of the races, this one happened to be on snow-machine trails for the most part:

Damn, makes me want to ride my fatbike on snow right now!
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I would agree - I think the studs only help on ice, but on ice they are pretty magic.

sluice box
    Love it Alaskans debating snow and ice. I agree with Jayem. My studs help bite wet slick or frosty wood boardwalks, frozen ground (you know the wet mud that freezes into unworldly miniature ice coulombs) and snow that is compressed so firm that anyone outside of a ski resort would call it ice (Alyeska would call it packed powder). I may pick a pair of these up.

A previous poster said that would run these up front and D5 out back. I was thinking D5 up front and Wrathchild out back.
    You know for the dig dig bite.
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    Anyone know about price and availability? These aren't showing up on QBP.
    fat-bikes.ca has them available on their site for pre-order only, price is listed at $359 Canadian.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Other sites have them listed as well, apparently $249.99 , which is pretty reasonable, all things considered.
    An example:
    45Nrth 26X4.6 WRATHCHILD 120TPI STUDDED FAT TIRE | Bike Tires | ERIK'S

Elitest thrill junkie
    Other sites have them listed as well, apparently $249.99 , which is pretty reasonable, all things considered.
    An example:
    45Nrth 26X4.6 WRATHCHILD 120TPI STUDDED FAT TIRE | Bike Tires | ERIK'S
    For brand new to the market studded fat tires from a mainstream company...yeah, it's always disappointing, but you get over it on the bike. Studded fat tires for winter are one of the few things I can actually say was worth it to spend that much on, as compared to things like cranks where you can spend $500, but it doesn't perform 3x better than one that costs 1/3rd the price, or some high end $150 XTR pedals vs $35 PD-520s, you might save weight, but the function is essentially the same. Not so much with these for winter, at least round these parts.

This is what I think of when I keep hearing the name for these tires:

mtbr member
    If this Fairbanks winter is like last, we won't get much cold weather riding.

I remember a quote in the News Miner, I think it was from Rocky. "The most expensive studs are cheaper than the cheapest emergency room visit".

My JJ LiteSkins seemed pretty good down to -20.

I have unstudded Jumbo Jim Lite Skins, I end up walking through a lot of overflow/glaciered areas that I could easily ride. My MTB has studs for Fairbanks winter commuting. This winter I'll stud up the Fattie.
    “Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene’.” -H.J. Simson

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaStinson View Post
    If this Fairbanks winter is like last, we won't get much cold weather riding.

I remember a quote in the News Miner, I think it was from Rocky. "The most expensive studs are cheaper than the cheapest emergency room visit".

My JJ LiteSkins seemed pretty good down to -20.

I have unstudded Jumbo Jim Lite Skins, I end up walking through a lot of overflow/glaciered areas that I could easily ride. My MTB has studs for Fairbanks winter commuting. This winter I'll stud up the Fattie.
    I was driving a G-car in Fairbanks this winter and noticed it slipping some on the roads. I thought, "what?" and got out to take a look...no studs? It's ironic that the G-car in Fairbanks had no studs yet our G-cars in ANC have studs. I realize when it's super cold, like -40, you have pretty good traction without studs on the roads, but that just isn't all that common anymore and at the more common mean temp, you can definitely benefit from them and it can be quite "sporty" without them, vs. here in ANC where all the downtown roads were generally clear all winter and studs were of little use on the cars much of the time. Just kind of opposite of what I'd expect with the temps, vs. what has worked in the past.

Man I hope it doesn't rain again this winter...

sluice box
    fixed it for you.
    ....snip

Man I hope it doesn't rain dead birds again this winter...
    I would like to see some 45nrth tires named after Steel Panther or Zeke songs. Like "Dolphenwulf" "gloryhole"
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member
    When will the Wrathchild be available?

Does anyone have pics of the XL stud next to the standard stud?

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Yay! Vaporware has arrived once more!!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Yay! Vaporware has arrived once more!!
    It would be great if more companies operated like Santa Cruz. They announce a new bike, and voila, it's available the next day. I realize it's tough to keep things under wraps when they are already in production, but come on, these are fat bike parts not iPhone 8's!

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Pfft! We couldn't be so fortunate. The thing is that the mfg's will do an announcement and a few prototypes to get a feel for the market acceptance and interest in a given product before launching full production.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I really like the idea of the wrathchild but I wish they would put out a D5 w the xl studs. I don't need a more aggressive lug pattern but I do need all the traction I can get on ice. I really like the low rolling resistance of the D5, looks like the wrathchild would be good for serious winter singletrack, maybe not so hot for long distance winter bikepacking. Just some thoughts.
    Om Mani Padme Hung

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    They are supposed to be slightly bigger:
    http://45nrth.com/files/pages/20162_..._Update_VF.pdf

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-09-08 at 9.57.25 AM.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	126.9 KB 
ID:	1092967
    Start the feeding frenzy. 45nrth tires are hitting dealers. Of course they started with the two "retread" tires people are least excited about (tubeless versions of Husker du and studded Dillinger 4) but hopefully the Wrathchild isn't far behind. If you want a pair of Wrathchildren and live in the snow belt, start calling your LBS daily

mtbr member
    My LBS said Wrathchild will be late and in very low quantities. And no Dillienger 5's in stock yet. "November sometime"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_G View Post
    My LBS said Wrathchild will be late and in very low quantities. And no Dillienger 5's in stock yet. "November sometime"
    Ours has a wait-list. Way too many people signed up so far...Glad my 5s seem to be going strong on their 3rd season.

Elitest thrill junkie
    New tubeless D4Ss

The new cornering knob seems to be the biggest difference. Hard to tell if the knobs are any bigger, as my D5S is kind of worn.

New studded fat, 45 north.-019f3bb2ce23a5540c2cd88d83c3b83e36dea722dc.jpg
    LBS weighed all of the new D4S tires and gave methe two lightest ones. Oh, how well they know me!
    New studded fat, 45 north.-0118a7093eb091279b7640c4bcf3cf15dfa90f4a9e.jpgNew studded fat, 45 north.-0188a1dbb633e3166e98c3bbee552465b2caf4138e.jpg

Old D5S for comparison.
    New studded fat, 45 north.-013f36ccc98df2302d50f12272d1ad3d56170fdd3d.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Jayem.....what do the new D4's weigh in at?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Jayem.....what do the new D4's weigh in at?
    I've heard they're around 1368 grams

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    LBS weighed all of the new D4S tires and gave methe two lightest ones. Oh, how well they know me!

Name:	0118a7093eb091279b7640c4bcf3cf15dfa90f4a9e.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	1102827
    (written on the side of the box here)

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Willum View Post
    (written on the side of the box here)
    D'oh! Thanks for pointed out the obvious ( which I obviously missed )

Elitest thrill junkie
    The other was 1341, but the shop said some of them weighed a bit over 1400.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    For reference....I have 2 new original D4 studdeds( concave)....they weigh 1343 and 1348 with packaging.
    Good to see 45NRTH didn't add a ton of weight while going Tubeless

mtbr member
    Is the Wrathchild available yet?

LCW
    mtbr member
    Guys with D4's.... I assume 120 tpi version?

And question on 60 vs 120 tpi.... Doesn't the former have steel carbide studs, while the 120 use aluminum carbide studs? Any issues with durability/wear on the aluminum carbide studs?

EVIL Following

Surly Wednesday

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    Guys with D4's.... I assume 120 tpi version?

And question on 60 vs 120 tpi.... Doesn't the former have steel carbide studs, while the 120 use aluminum carbide studs? Any issues with durability/wear on the aluminum carbide studs?
    Not steel? First I've heard of this. Pretty sure they are steel. I did lose a stud already from the D4s, running them off and on for just shy of a week. Have not lost a stud on the D5s and this is their 3rd winter. My D4s and D5s are 120 tpi.

Well, checked the website and lo and behold, they are saying aluminum carbide. I guess they do well because this is the 3rd season on the D5s. I don't commute to work unless there is snow or ice on the ground, but the occasional pavement section doesn't seem to hurt them. Even when there's no snow on the trail doesn't seem to matter, roots, some rocks, etc, they don't seem to hurt the studs. The fat tires spread out the weight a lot, so it's rare to have a problem. Constant use on pavement will grind em down.

I thought the D4s would be better on ice than the D5s, being narrower and putting more pressure on the studs. So far, I'm not detecting this. The D5s seem just as good, if not better. Not that either is bad, they are both quite good for a fat tire.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    wraithchild is next year territory

LCW
    mtbr member
    I thought the D4s would be better on ice than the D5s, being narrower and putting more pressure on the studs. So far, I'm not detecting this. The D5s seem just as good, if not better. Not that either is bad, they are both quite good for a fat tire.
    I wondered this - if the narrower studded D4's had more bite than D5's. Your comment seems to counteract this. Very odd.

I'm debating getting studded D4's as studded D5's are nowhere in sight.

EVIL Following

Surly Wednesday

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    wraithchild is next year territory
    When? How did you hear this?

LCW
    mtbr member

New studded fat, 45 north.

Did 45NRTH pull the tubeless ready version of the D5's from their site? I swear it was there unless I'm dreaming. Only the old style non-tubeless with the older corner knobs (vs the new shape as on the D4's).

EVIL Following

Surly Wednesday

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Did 45NRTH pull the tubeless ready version of the D5's from their site? I swear it was there unless I'm dreaming. Only the old style non-tubeless with the older corner knobs (vs the new shape as on the D4's).
    I don't recall reading about any changes to the D5's for this year, I believe that it was only the D4 and Husker DU that received updates.
    '07 Spec Enduro
    '14 Salsa Mukluk 2
    '16 Salsa Bucksaw GX1

LCW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat-in-Fundy View Post
    I don't recall reading about any changes to the D5's for this year, I believe that it was only the D4 and Husker DU that received updates.
    You're probably right. I just find it odd that they wouldn't have updated the D5 to be tubeless ready, when they cleary have the ability (Flow/Dunderbeists, Wrathchild, are said to all share same casing).

EVIL Following

Surly Wednesday

Elitest thrill junkie
    You're probably right. I just find it odd that they wouldn't have updated the D5 to be tubeless ready, when they cleary have the ability (Flow/Dunderbeists, Wrathchild, are said to all share same casing).
    Ok, I have the tubeless D4s, I run my D5s tubeless. There's no discernible difference here in the tires. Originally, my D5s were REALLY tight, but I didn't quite know how to deal with tubeless fat rims at first either. The D4 tubeless was "just right" and my D5s are "just right" as well, in terms of fit on the rim and ease of setting up tubeless. Both can go on with a floor pump. Maybe there's a difference, but damn if I can tell. I really can't think of how the D5s could be "more" tubeless ready than they already are, mainly it's the rims that would be the problem IMO, non-tubeless rims may be unacceptably loose.

beer thief
    I agree with Jayem. I have D5s and original Dillingers and run them both tubeless with no issues. IMO one of the biggest advantages of carbon rims is how easily they are to set up tubeless.

mtbr member
    I have always run my D5's, and other tires, tubeless without a problem.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nothing to see here, move along folks.

The Dog.
    FWIW, the tubeless beads on my Vanhelgas have proven far more reliable, particularly at low pressures on my HED Big Deals than my non-tubeless D4's which would weep and slow leak for a long time.

LCW
    mtbr member
    As many as I hear that have success with the non-tubeless, there are just as many report issues like dogdude222.

I run Flow/Dunderbeist now with good tubeless performance on my Other Brother Darryl rims.

EVIL Following

Surly Wednesday

mtbr member
    I planned to buy Dillinger 4 studded for a fast roller for mostly singletrack. I hear the Dillingers are not great in soft / fresh snow so I have asked some of the local dealers. Most say Dillinger but all agree not the greatest for soft snow. Two are personally running Dillinger in front and Bontrager Gnarwhal studded in the rear. Gnarwhal has decent rolling resistance but have bigger lugs for soft snow. They are a 3.8" tire but may be the ticket for a great all-round setup for Canada West. Thoughts?

The Dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by geop View Post
    I planned to buy Dillinger 4 studded for a fast roller for mostly singletrack. I hear the Dillingers are not great in soft / fresh snow so I have asked some of the local dealers. Most say Dillinger but all agree not the greatest for soft snow. Two are personally running Dillinger in front and Bontrager Gnarwhal studded in the rear. Gnarwhal has decent rolling resistance but have bigger lugs for soft snow. They are a 3.8" tire but may be the ticket for a great all-round setup for Canada West. Thoughts?
    I always want bigger lugs in front. Sure it sucks when you cannot get moving, but it sucks more when you wash in a corner and eat a face full of snow. This is why I avoid running by D4 studs whenever I can in favor of my Vanhelgas.

I was really looking forward to the Wrathchilds, but typical 45nrth vaporware.

I did like my Hodag's, but found that the Bontrager casing was way too stiff for the price. This contributed to annoying self steer.

LCW
    mtbr member
    Any try the Terrene Wazia? It's available as studded or studdable, 4.0 and 4.6. Tread looks like a good all-around tread.

EVIL Following

Surly Wednesday

sluice box
    Any try the Terrene Wazia? It's available as studded or studdable, 4.0 and 4.6. Tread looks like a good all-around tread.
    yes
    New tire company, Terrene Tires
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    FUMBLE! Latest word is that Wrathchild will ship in January WITHOUT STUDS. Can stud them yourself, but the XL studs won't be available.

My other ride is your mom
    I have some Wrathchild studded on pre-order and was informed a few days ago that the sales director for 45NRTH informed the shop of some minor issues with getting the tires off the production line and that there would be a very limited quantity available this year with a delivery timeframe pushed back to late January for the rest of us pre-order folks. I have not heard anything about them shipping without studs.

mtbr member
    I got it straight from the horse's mouth.

45North D5, XL Stud, Wrathchild Availibilty Info

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr View Post
    Is the Wrathchild available yet?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Jekyl View Post
    Its not in studded form.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr View Post
    Its not in studded form.
    i will take it unstudded.

mtbr member
    My Wrathchild arrived today. I intend to use studs in all stud pockets on this tire and pair this with a custom studded D5 in the rear.

The casing appears to be the same as the D5, brand new bead to bead measurement is 244mm.

About 130 grams lighter than the D5.

First ride should be tomorrow night, the tire looks promising.

New studded fat, 45 north.-img_4129.jpg

New studded fat, 45 north.-img_4131.jpg

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    My Wrathchild arrived today.

The casing appears to be the same as the D5, brand new bead to bead measurement is 244mm.

Name:	IMG_4129.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	1120797
    looks awesome. thanks for the update! let us know how she performs.

mtbr member
    I only got one short ride in, it was on soft broken up snow and ice.

So far so good, the tire seems to track straight and true on really loose surfaces. It has less self-steer than the D5 (which isn't bad to start with). It punches through slushy snow and grab the surface underneath. The studs also seem more effective on ice than the D5, they stand proud of the tread a more, and the base blocks see more rigid. I didn't notice anything that I didn't care for.

mtbr member
    Anyone else have any chance to try these, either studded or un-studded? Not only on snow and ice but even on dirt?