Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    For reference....I have 2 new original D4 studdeds( concave)....they weigh 1343 and 1348 with packaging.
    Good to see 45NRTH didn't add a ton of weight while going Tubeless

mtbr member
    Is the Wrathchild available yet?

LCW
    mtbr member
    Guys with D4's.... I assume 120 tpi version?

And question on 60 vs 120 tpi.... Doesn't the former have steel carbide studs, while the 120 use aluminum carbide studs? Any issues with durability/wear on the aluminum carbide studs?

EVIL Following

Surly Wednesday

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    Guys with D4's.... I assume 120 tpi version?

And question on 60 vs 120 tpi.... Doesn't the former have steel carbide studs, while the 120 use aluminum carbide studs? Any issues with durability/wear on the aluminum carbide studs?
    Not steel? First I've heard of this. Pretty sure they are steel. I did lose a stud already from the D4s, running them off and on for just shy of a week. Have not lost a stud on the D5s and this is their 3rd winter. My D4s and D5s are 120 tpi.

Well, checked the website and lo and behold, they are saying aluminum carbide. I guess they do well because this is the 3rd season on the D5s. I don't commute to work unless there is snow or ice on the ground, but the occasional pavement section doesn't seem to hurt them. Even when there's no snow on the trail doesn't seem to matter, roots, some rocks, etc, they don't seem to hurt the studs. The fat tires spread out the weight a lot, so it's rare to have a problem. Constant use on pavement will grind em down.

I thought the D4s would be better on ice than the D5s, being narrower and putting more pressure on the studs. So far, I'm not detecting this. The D5s seem just as good, if not better. Not that either is bad, they are both quite good for a fat tire.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    wraithchild is next year territory

LCW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I thought the D4s would be better on ice than the D5s, being narrower and putting more pressure on the studs. So far, I'm not detecting this. The D5s seem just as good, if not better. Not that either is bad, they are both quite good for a fat tire.
    I wondered this - if the narrower studded D4's had more bite than D5's. Your comment seems to counteract this. Very odd.

I'm debating getting studded D4's as studded D5's are nowhere in sight.

EVIL Following

Surly Wednesday

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    wraithchild is next year territory
    When? How did you hear this?

LCW
    mtbr member

New studded fat, 45 north.

Did 45NRTH pull the tubeless ready version of the D5's from their site? I swear it was there unless I'm dreaming. Only the old style non-tubeless with the older corner knobs (vs the new shape as on the D4's).

EVIL Following

Surly Wednesday

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Did 45NRTH pull the tubeless ready version of the D5's from their site? I swear it was there unless I'm dreaming. Only the old style non-tubeless with the older corner knobs (vs the new shape as on the D4's).
    I don't recall reading about any changes to the D5's for this year, I believe that it was only the D4 and Husker DU that received updates.
    '07 Spec Enduro
    '14 Salsa Mukluk 2
    '16 Salsa Bucksaw GX1

LCW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat-in-Fundy View Post
    I don't recall reading about any changes to the D5's for this year, I believe that it was only the D4 and Husker DU that received updates.
    You're probably right. I just find it odd that they wouldn't have updated the D5 to be tubeless ready, when they cleary have the ability (Flow/Dunderbeists, Wrathchild, are said to all share same casing).

EVIL Following

Surly Wednesday

Elitest thrill junkie
    You're probably right. I just find it odd that they wouldn't have updated the D5 to be tubeless ready, when they cleary have the ability (Flow/Dunderbeists, Wrathchild, are said to all share same casing).
    Ok, I have the tubeless D4s, I run my D5s tubeless. There's no discernible difference here in the tires. Originally, my D5s were REALLY tight, but I didn't quite know how to deal with tubeless fat rims at first either. The D4 tubeless was "just right" and my D5s are "just right" as well, in terms of fit on the rim and ease of setting up tubeless. Both can go on with a floor pump. Maybe there's a difference, but damn if I can tell. I really can't think of how the D5s could be "more" tubeless ready than they already are, mainly it's the rims that would be the problem IMO, non-tubeless rims may be unacceptably loose.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

beer thief
    I agree with Jayem. I have D5s and original Dillingers and run them both tubeless with no issues. IMO one of the biggest advantages of carbon rims is how easily they are to set up tubeless.

mtbr member
    I have always run my D5's, and other tires, tubeless without a problem.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nothing to see here, move along folks.

The Dog.
    FWIW, the tubeless beads on my Vanhelgas have proven far more reliable, particularly at low pressures on my HED Big Deals than my non-tubeless D4's which would weep and slow leak for a long time.

LCW
    mtbr member
    As many as I hear that have success with the non-tubeless, there are just as many report issues like dogdude222.

I run Flow/Dunderbeist now with good tubeless performance on my Other Brother Darryl rims.

EVIL Following

Surly Wednesday

mtbr member
    I planned to buy Dillinger 4 studded for a fast roller for mostly singletrack. I hear the Dillingers are not great in soft / fresh snow so I have asked some of the local dealers. Most say Dillinger but all agree not the greatest for soft snow. Two are personally running Dillinger in front and Bontrager Gnarwhal studded in the rear. Gnarwhal has decent rolling resistance but have bigger lugs for soft snow. They are a 3.8" tire but may be the ticket for a great all-round setup for Canada West. Thoughts?

The Dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by geop View Post
    I planned to buy Dillinger 4 studded for a fast roller for mostly singletrack. I hear the Dillingers are not great in soft / fresh snow so I have asked some of the local dealers. Most say Dillinger but all agree not the greatest for soft snow. Two are personally running Dillinger in front and Bontrager Gnarwhal studded in the rear. Gnarwhal has decent rolling resistance but have bigger lugs for soft snow. They are a 3.8" tire but may be the ticket for a great all-round setup for Canada West. Thoughts?
    I always want bigger lugs in front. Sure it sucks when you cannot get moving, but it sucks more when you wash in a corner and eat a face full of snow. This is why I avoid running by D4 studs whenever I can in favor of my Vanhelgas.

I was really looking forward to the Wrathchilds, but typical 45nrth vaporware.

I did like my Hodag's, but found that the Bontrager casing was way too stiff for the price. This contributed to annoying self steer.

LCW
    mtbr member
    Any try the Terrene Wazia? It's available as studded or studdable, 4.0 and 4.6. Tread looks like a good all-around tread.

EVIL Following

Surly Wednesday

sluice box
    Any try the Terrene Wazia? It's available as studded or studdable, 4.0 and 4.6. Tread looks like a good all-around tread.
    yes
    New tire company, Terrene Tires
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    FUMBLE! Latest word is that Wrathchild will ship in January WITHOUT STUDS. Can stud them yourself, but the XL studs won't be available.

My other ride is your mom
    I have some Wrathchild studded on pre-order and was informed a few days ago that the sales director for 45NRTH informed the shop of some minor issues with getting the tires off the production line and that there would be a very limited quantity available this year with a delivery timeframe pushed back to late January for the rest of us pre-order folks. I have not heard anything about them shipping without studs.

mtbr member
    I got it straight from the horse's mouth.

45North D5, XL Stud, Wrathchild Availibilty Info
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr View Post
    Is the Wrathchild available yet?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Jekyl View Post
    Its not in studded form.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr View Post
    Its not in studded form.
    i will take it unstudded.

mtbr member
    My Wrathchild arrived today. I intend to use studs in all stud pockets on this tire and pair this with a custom studded D5 in the rear.

The casing appears to be the same as the D5, brand new bead to bead measurement is 244mm.

About 130 grams lighter than the D5.

First ride should be tomorrow night, the tire looks promising.

New studded fat, 45 north.-img_4129.jpg

New studded fat, 45 north.-img_4131.jpg

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by brentos View Post
    My Wrathchild arrived today.

The casing appears to be the same as the D5, brand new bead to bead measurement is 244mm.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4129.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	1120797
    looks awesome. thanks for the update! let us know how she performs.

mtbr member
    I only got one short ride in, it was on soft broken up snow and ice.

So far so good, the tire seems to track straight and true on really loose surfaces. It has less self-steer than the D5 (which isn't bad to start with). It punches through slushy snow and grab the surface underneath. The studs also seem more effective on ice than the D5, they stand proud of the tread a more, and the base blocks see more rigid. I didn't notice anything that I didn't care for.

mtbr member
    Anyone else have any chance to try these, either studded or un-studded? Not only on snow and ice but even on dirt?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12