Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks Schmed, Colorado looks amazing as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    after countless emails last week with the Bike shop on checking out and picking up the Big Jon and was set on this past Saturday, the shop sold the bike before I even get there. I was all set on getting it. bummer ..

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerteeuwen View Post

I got my fat Jon yesterday, I haven't really lowered the psi anything crazy yet but from what I have lowered it too... Insane amount of traction and I really love the roll over of the wider tire.

I come from riding 700c cross and 29er so I'm used to the roll over, but with the larger contact patch on the bike its roll over is super fun!

I am 6' 5" and the bike is an XL and it fits good though I have the seat post near its limit and I could have done with a Bit higher of a bar height though i do run my 29er with an inverted stem so I may not change anything about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Can you post more pictures? Im looking to get the XL as well. Side view would be nice to see the top tube and standover.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

new 2016 big jon back on ebay make offers free shipping 3 days left

Quote Originally Posted by nismosr View Post
    after countless emails last week with the Bike shop on checking out and picking up the Big Jon and was set on this past Saturday, the shop sold the bike before I even get there. I was all set on getting it. bummer ..
    Nismosr don't be bummed if you live in the us ride a size medium your new big jon is back on ebay waiting for you.heck I think they still have a large. auction has 3 days left they are taking offers plus free shipping for one of the best valued and equipped fat bikes of 2016. WINTER IS COMING .
    Last edited by BIGFAT29; 10-29-2016 at 10:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by rideeatrepeat View Post
    Can you post more pictures? Im looking to get the XL as well. Side view would be nice to see the top tube and standover.
    Thanks
    I'm not quite as tall as tigerteeuwen but I have an XL Big Jon. There are some pics earlier in the thread:

New Scott fat bike: Big Jon-1030762d1448270248-new-scott-fat-bike-big-jon-image1.jpg
    New Scott fat bike: Big Jon-1041803d1452503848-new-scott-fat-bike-big-jon-image2.jpg
    New Scott fat bike: Big Jon-1045273d1453714550-new-scott-fat-bike-big-jon-img_1014.jpg
    New Scott fat bike: Big Jon-1100348d1476692664-new-scott-fat-bike-big-jon-img_1699.jpg

For me at 6'2" 34" inseam there's sufficient standover. The shop had a size L in at the same time and I was able to try it around the car park it felt like every other mountain bike I've bought - slightly too small.

The XL is a big old gate at least 6'6" from end-to-end but I'm glad I didn't get the smaller size. Sizing chart if you haven't seen it:
    New Scott fat bike: Big Jon-176130_original_1.jpg
    HTH

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Raceface ride crank with a 30 t narrow wide ring will it work

Has anyone did the 1x10 conversion using a narrow wide ring on a raceface ride crank with a 30t ? I want to replace my 32t with a 30t . will it work since its quite a bit smaller ? I thought I would see if I could get just a little bit more out of my lowest gear. before I buy one I was hoping to find out if the 30t would fit over the crank arm on to the spider without removing and messing with the arm or crank itself . putting on the 32t was pretty easy as it slipped right over the arm .

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    The 30T RF n/w is available with a 104 BCD so it should fit. Whether you can slide it on over the crank arm is another question.

FWIW the crank arm comes off very easily. When I removed the little ring I took the driveside arm off and the spindle is attached to the non-driveside so all you need to do is remove the hex bolt with an 8mm key and then use a standard ISIS puller to remove the arm. Fit the new ring, slide the arm back on and tighten the bolt.

My own experience is that 2 teeth less on the front doesn't make *that* much difference to the riding experience. It puts the 2nd biggest cog at the back somewhere between your old 1st and 2nd (if that makes sense) and a similar reduction in 1st so it's like half-a-gear lower. HTH

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks max . When I had the bike converted to a 1x 10 and adding the 32t a guy I know at a bike shop helped me do it on the side so it just cost me some beer.he knew more than me about the conversion so I just let him do most of it. he has since moved away to a different state so I thought I would buy a 30t and do it myself. even if its only a half gear lower Im still gonna go ahead buy one and put it on and see if I can even tell the difference. Max you are the man ! thanks again for your help and the great link.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Forgot to say the crank puller you need is a Park CWP-6 but any ISIS puller will do. The retaining bolt needs to be 45 ft/lbs which is very tight but not insanely tight

Edit: instructions are attached Ride_XC_Crank-1.compressed.pdf

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks Max I just ordered the ring and found a source for the park tool.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Just finished putting the 30t ring on .wasn't that bad of a job but did get a little help .after test ride the 2 hills that were killing me that I ride a lot in my mind and legs are a little better now with the 30t ? before when I got to the lowest gear and was climbing those hills I keep wanting to shift more even going one more by mistake as it started to shift back up. it must be better because that didn't happen on those hills with the 30t this time. maybe it was the Wheaties I had for breakfast ? I will have to ride more but it seems to be better with just a slight half tad more of lower gear.bikes a mess it got real dirty and got a flat tire.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Scott fat bike: Big Jon-scott30ring-001.jpg  

New Scott fat bike: Big Jon-scott30ring-002.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Nice work glad you got it sorted. Sometimes half a gear makes all the difference!

I've been riding round on my hardtail for the last few weeks and *thought* I'd gone back to the thin tyre religion but I got Big Jon out at the weekend and realised I hadn't

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Max Fat is where its at ! oh and some of us plus +

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    There is a used one available here I think I am going to get it -only bad point is the non-tubeless rims

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    There is a lot you can do if your worried about the extra weight.there are much lighter inner tubes you can buy and a few components that will save you some weight and it wont cost that much. ebay is a good source for slightly used or new take off fat bike rims.I almost bought a new take off specialized fat bike wheelset for 300.00 bucks with tires but didn't know much about if they were a lot lighter or could be tubeless.they look like dt swiss with the specialized name on them ? please post your big jon bike if you buy it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Well i bough it.... a used 2016, medium frame. I am 5f 10.5 in, could have fitted on a large according to the chart, the inseam is cleared, hard to imagine having it higher, but the top tube feels short, it is shorter than my 18 inches XC bike (26 wheels) but the bikes are so different anyway... feels a lot smaller than I anticipated, I do not feel on top but into the bike, the wheels are some much closer to the rider than on a 26 bike. Feels like a playful bike. hard to know if I will enjoy logging miles on it.

had a little go on my favorite local trail system, the seller lived nearby.... so I could not resist. There was fresh powder, and ice under it, pretty difficult to ride, I hope it gets easier. I puked some of my lunch 20min into it.

I don't even know how much pressure there was in the tires.

It is a mixed system with XC skis, snowshoes, and fat bikes in the winter. I met a couple each on their 2017 big johns and they spotted my bike and said great bike

So the trail had a thin line in the middle you could ride.
    Touch a bit on the side and you fall off trail and you are waist deep in show.
    A very small section was open/rideable, cause it snowed a bunch the night before. A good time for skis and snowshoes who could go anywhere.

Anyway I am so excited to be able to try a fatbike, I tried renting but on a good day they are all gone... or the trails are closed because of fresh snow. I rode a lot in the winter on my kona stuff hardtail with 2.5 tires, when the conditions are good it was awesome in snowmobile tracks. So I know I had to try a fatbike after I looked at all the youtube videos. I have been dedicated to mtbiking for 10 years, some almost fulltime, until 2010. Last bike I purchased was a 2008 kona "the king" XC dually with is now a hei hei 100 thanks to frame warranty.

...anyway I will try a fatbike for a year on snow, rough wilderness beaches in the summer and see if I like it. That was the plan, I really could not resist, not at all.

mtbr member

2017 Scott Big Jon

The 2017 Scott Big Jon looks nice!

New Scott fat bike: Big Jon-interbike-2016-show-floor-2023-47-600x400.jpg
    Name:  20161014_1835209.jpg
Views: 1007
Size:  110.9 KB
    Name:  download.jpg
Views: 799
Size:  10.2 KB

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Man those tires are massive.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I agree the 2017 looks a lot nicer in person than on the webpage. There is some nice purples in there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Montrealrider View Post
    Well i bough it.... a used 2016, medium frame. I am 5f 10.5 in, could have fitted on a large according to the chart, the inseam is cleared, hard to imagine having it higher, but the top tube feels short, it is shorter than my 18 inches XC bike (26 wheels) but the bikes are so different anyway... feels a lot smaller than I anticipated, I do not feel on top but into the bike, the wheels are some much closer to the rider than on a 26 bike. Feels like a playful bike. hard to know if I will enjoy logging miles on it.
    It's a different animal for sure but I think you got the right size. I'm your height exactly and I've got a medium as well. On the Scott 27.5+ the large was a better fit, but the large on the Big Jon was just a hair oversized. Hope you enjoy the new toy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Montrealrider View Post

had a little go on my favorite local trail system, the seller lived nearby.... so I could not resist. There was fresh powder, and ice under it, pretty difficult to ride, I hope it gets easier. I puked some of my lunch 20min into it.

I don't even know how much pressure there was in the tires.

It is a mixed system with XC skis, snowshoes, and fat bikes in the winter. I met a couple each on their 2017 big johns and they spotted my bike and said great bike

So the trail had a thin line in the middle you could ride.
    Touch a bit on the side and you fall off trail and you are waist deep in show.
    A very small section was open/rideable, cause it snowed a bunch the night before. A good time for skis and snowshoes who could go anywhere.

Anyway I am so excited to be able to try a fatbike, I tried renting but on a good day they are all gone... or the trails are closed because of fresh snow. I rode a lot in the winter on my kona stuff hardtail with 2.5 tires, when the conditions are good it was awesome in snowmobile tracks. So I know I had to try a fatbike after I looked at all the youtube videos. I have been dedicated to mtbiking for 10 years, some almost fulltime, until 2010. Last bike I purchased was a 2008 kona "the king" XC dually with is now a hei hei 100 thanks to frame warranty.

...anyway I will try a fatbike for a year on snow, rough wilderness beaches in the summer and see if I like it. That was the plan, I really could not resist, not at all.
    congrats ! you will love your fat bike. the q factor takes a little while to get used to but other than that its all good.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    the q-factor:
    first time climbing a mountain, half hour steady climb, yeah I could feel somthing weird in my knees, it is a strange rotation.... but that was the first time I tried clipped pedals on the fattie and they were shimanos not times, I hate them.... I,ll try with times.. and flats did not give me that feeling.

the bike:
    I had the chance of firmer snow conditions and tried well groomed trails I have done in the summer and boy that bike is fast! I could not belive how fast I went a moderate flowy downhill on snow, I mean I think I do not go as fast on my xc bike in the summer! cause I would slip on the gravel in the turns!
    I tried a very steep twisty chute and the bike was super manoeuvrable and stable.

Living in Montreal we have a long and snowy winter and even urban is super fun. Parks and back alleys are great and the public stomps the tracks for us

Mind you a lot of people ride 700c city bikes all winter here. Riding a fattie makes you looks like you are really afraid of slipping I guess.

But I know how a fat bike opens up the riding in the winter now. Looks like a good week ahead of us snow wise.

I went to a dealer for sizing. He said I am better with the medium frame but with a longer stem. I can sell the bike for a profit right now if I need to I have a buyer.

There is a sasquatch 6.2 large here at a great price, I could swap it for 600$ more but since I am not ritch I am kind of opting to keep the big jon but I will have to upgrade some components. But that is the good side of it, having bought used I can invest some in better components. I did not ride the sasquatch but I bet I could buy it new, ride it a week and sell it for profit or even. (400$ sale) But I am way too afraid I would keep the two and bust my visa till the end of summer

mtbr member

Still riding my 2015 Scott big John, it has been a good bike thus far, having close to 3000km total on it over the two riding seasons I have owned it.

I have only replaced the cassette and chain for maintenance, and had the brakes bleed with CHF 7.1 which seems to help with the modulation.

I replaced the rear tire with a maxxis Colossus, it's a good tire in some ways, being traction in packed snow, though it's heavier and doesn't offer as good of float as the scwalble jumbo Jim 4.8 that came stock, I will go back to running a Jim once I have a good excuse.

The front derailleur is on the way out, spring has lost tension... Or something like that, doesn't want to return to position when shifting to the small ring, so I will probably replace that ASAP with an XT front post mount.

All in all, I would definitely recommend this bike based on my km's ridden also with my general opinion made from riding with other people with a variety of other fat bikes, it's a very capable bike from commuting, to the Nordic centre in Canmore to riding some downhill in brag Creek it has served well.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Well I sold the medium, witch was too small for me. In the descents I felt I had the steerer between the knees.
    Got the Sasquatch 6.2 new on sale 500$ off, came in only 80$ more than a new big jon -also on sale. I am very confy on the large. I never could try or see a large big jon but the stand over height looks high for me on paper. Would love to try one to compare to the Norco after I ride it more.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I picked up a Big Jon back in November off of Ebay. I believe the bike I bought was talked about on page 6 of this thread. (Medium at a bike shop in Florida) I finally got to ride some trails last week. This is my first fatbike, so I'm pretty new to all this. It was lots of fun to ride out in the snow.

New Scott fat bike: Big Jon-aqggchg.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I had seen that ebay listing and posted here and glad you got that new big jon at such a great deal.looks like a sweet bike they are lots of fun.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Yeah Big John is a cool bike I hope you enjoy it zachaput

Having said my last fat ride was new year's eve it was dry and not too cold but since then it's been wet and our local trails have turned to mush.

After getting the fatty in Oct 2015 I hardly used my HT in 2016. After robbing it of what I could for Big Jon I was going to sell it but somehow after One Last Ride it felt pretty good. Not as good as Big Jon obv but not that bad either especially in mud.

And so this year I have only ridden the HT. Strava says it's a bit slower than the fatty but given the current conditions that's to be expected. It remains to be seen how close they are when the trails dry up and I get the chance to make a fair comparison.

Gotta love bikes

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    How's it going folks I hope you all still have your Big Jons

I started riding mine again at the end of March and it has cleaned up on Strava. To put some values on it, it's between 10 and 40 seconds/mile quicker than my other bikes which is amazing. My Voltage FR is quicker on some descents (but not much) and my Jekyll has the edge on some twitchy climbs but the fatty is still faster from A-B

I haven't changed anything on the fat bike since last year. I got a new 4.8 JJ after Christmas but I haven't fitted it yet the 4.0s are staying on until it gets dry and rubbly around here.

I have grown to love the bike's simplicity. A 1x drivetrain and no suspension means I can put it away and it's ready to go next time. The BB and hubs are wearing well and the point-and-shoot Zee brakes are hardly touched.

Given the choice I'd take the fat bike any time but I've imposed a rota so that I still use my other bikes. They're good in their own right but Big Jon is as addictive as crack cocaine

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Nice to see this thread still kicking. The time change couldn't come fast enough around here. I've been riding my --- off and doing stuff on this bike at 40 I wasn't doing in my 20's. I've been thinking about a Bucksaw as of late, not as a replacement but as an addition. Otherwise the Big Jon has held up great. I had a clicking in the BB that I couldn't nail down. I finally took it to the LBS and had them tear the whole thing apart front to back and re-grease & tighten everything. It hasn't returned since. The stock JJ's are holding up great as well. My only complaint is that the spacing between the knobbies seems to allow for a lot of slippage when they're wet, and one of the main trail networks I ride has a couple of creek crossings. After making a crossing I've got to be careful to choose just the right gear. Beyond that, I think I blew the lockout on the Bluto over the weekend but that's another issue... and another trip to the LBS.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I guess this thread just needed a bump.

I recently converted to a 11-42 Sunrace cassette, to go along with the Race Face 30t NW ring. Other than some Niner carbon bars the rest of my Big Jon is stock. I've owned it for over a year now but the honeymoon hasn't ended. Love.the thing!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Guess I`ll leave my Big Jon here.

It`s a 2017 model with a drivetrain upgrade, the rest is stock.

The new drivetrain consists of:
    Shimano XT M8000 RD
    Shimano SLX M7000 shifter
    Sunrace 11-46 cassete
    Absoluteblack 34t oval chainring (yes, it is mounted the wrong way around, will get it fixed tomorrow)

New Scott fat bike: Big Jon-17837792_1078775365561671_642054954_o_zpsjdp5s6ml.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    ^^ Magaiver your 2017 bike looks great

What do you think about the oval chainring

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567