Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    mtbr member
    Max the most important thing is it has green graphics lol.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Scott fat bike: Big Jon-img_6007.jpg  

New Scott fat bike: Big Jon-img_6000.jpg  

New Scott fat bike: Big Jon-img_6004.jpg  

Last edited by BIGFAT29; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I think it looks great - more contemporary than a lot of fat bikes - and the Lefty looks insane

Let us know how it rides

mtbr member
    its funny you can ride the scott big jon all day long with no hands for the fun of it but this thing is not as easy with no hands.thanks again max.
    Last edited by BIGFAT29; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Glad you like it BF29. I do too

I haven't ridden Big Jon much since September. One of the advantages of having three other bikes that are fundamentally the same is that I can swap parts like Lego. After lying unridden since February this year I decided to rebuild my 26" HT. The frame and forks were still together but everything else had been scavenged so I retrieved some wheels, tyres, brakes, bars and cranks from the shed and put it back together. It's Commencal Ramones from 2013:

New Scott fat bike: Big Jon-image1.jpg

You know, I've done this a few times now and using the parts I already have means that on paper the spec looks like it would never fly but it does. The front tyre is a cast-off that never worked on a different bike but somehow on this one it feels great. The bars and stem were too wide/short but on this bike they have a motorcycle-type feel that just makes you want to grab them and ride. And the wheels - wow! Say what you want about Shimano cup-and-cone hubs but they spin so easily compared to cartridge hubs. The other parts are all odd but somehow the combination really works so I've been riding the wheels off it

mtbr member
    Thats a sweet frankenbike max. the mad doctor is in the house ! hey why not swap out parts . I could see a little more orange bits on the bike to make it really pop.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    We had some snow at the weekend. The first since I got Big Jon in Oct 2015.

I have to say sand and snow are two of my least favourite surfaces to ride on but riding in the snow was Actually Pretty Good on the fat bike. Where the snow was uninterrupted it was almost as good as dry dirt - lots of grip and forward motion combined with more prolonged sideways action compared to a thin bike.

Worst parts where the snow hadn't covered and it was apocalyptically muddy

New Scott fat bike: Big Jon-image2.jpg

mtbr member
    Now thats riding in a winter wonderland ! its about time you got to have some fun in the snow !

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Do you get much snow bud?

And how's that sweet Cannondale

mtbr member
    Just started to get the first real snow but only 1 inch so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Scott fat bike: Big Jon-img_6323.jpg  

New Scott fat bike: Big Jon-img_6327.jpg  

Last edited by BIGFAT29; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Looks amazing

And is that a black and green chain?

Edit: just seen your other pic indeed it is! Sick!

mtbr member
    Yep black and green chain made by kmc. its one of the best chains kmc makes. you know max they make yellow ,orange ,green and blue.its time for you to dress up your bikes chains.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    joining this thread , first post and yes i have a big jon 2017 still new and one trail ride and first one done ..

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    When can I post a pic

mtbr member

2018 scott big jon

Go for it post some pics.heres another photo I found a 2018 scott big jon.anyone have a 2018 lets see it !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Scott fat bike: Big Jon-4366447795.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I think I m to new ? To post p8c of my 2017 big jon

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Upset Scott and Syncros need to stop making bicycles.

I have this bike as well. I love riding it and once you learn it you can start go fast!

However, Scott and Syncros have done themselves NO FAVORS AT ALL. Because of the ineptitude I can not recommend to anyone to buy this bike or probably their other Fat Bike.

My rear hub, like others in this thread is SCHAIGHT!

First month the inner workings/teeth of the hub broke. No longer engaging the freewheel. Scott and Syncros do NOT cover this under warranty. It was 150 Euro to replace it.

Second, the freewheel itself deformed/broke 4 months later and Scott and Syncros do not sell this separately. At present my LBS can't get a new freewheel, a new whole wheel is going to be 400+ EUR, a whole new HUB will be 250+ EUR.

Thirdly, the headset in this bike is CHEEEEEEEAP! With exposed bearing rollers. I've replaced both the upper and lower bearing sets twice in a year. The engineering and design of the fork/headset simply allows water to flow through freely.

Fourthly, The Raceface crank is not going to be your friend. The chain rings standard on will wear down like butter (very cheap). When you go to replace them you will find that you can only put compatible Raceface chain rings on there (60 Eur for the big one). Standard Shimano or Sram will not fit unless you do some Dremel surgery .

So while this is a fun bike to ride it is a horrible bike to maintain and operate. Scott does make some good bikes and syncros does make some ok parts. However, after my experience here I am never going with Scott or Syncros again. I bought this bike thinking it would be easy to maintain and do work on my self. This is not the case

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Sorry Fifthly, the rear derailleur hanger bolts have come lose. I need to tighten them back up on each ride. I've tried lock-tite and such no luck. The loose derailleur hanger then results in a creaking cracking noise when putting power into the pedals and bad shifting.

This is my first Scott bicycle since I switched from another disappointing brand. Overall, both experiences have convinced me why the bike shop guys go for speciality brands and stay away from this commercial crapiola.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Sorry to hear about your bad experiences with the Big Jon. Fortunately I don't think they're representative of the overall brand and it's quality. Of all the folks I've come across, most have been very happy. I've been beating on my rig for 2.5 years now and haven't had to do anything more than routine maintenance and an occasional tightening of this or that.

Just upgraded the cassette to a Sunrace 11-50 and swapped out the factory SLX 2x for XT 1x and swapped the chainring while I was at it. It's like a whole new bike all over again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Scott fat bike: Big Jon-sunrace-rf.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    For balance I've had a few hiccups with mine (documented in this thread) but ime nothing extraordinary.

The rear hub is a bit rough but that started about a year ago and although it's still rough it hasn't actually got any worse

The rear hanger did indeed come loose but was easily fixed with some lock-on bolts New Scott fat bike: Big Jon - Page 3- Mtbr.com

I didn't expect the headset to last as long as it did but since replacing it with Hope bearings I haven't given it another thought New Scott fat bike: Big Jon - Page 3- Mtbr.com

The original RF cranks are still in place and have been used with RF, Renthal, E13 and Superstar rings.

Compared to my other bikes that need some sort of attention every two or three rides the Big Jon is a lot less troublesome

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Looks like this thread may have expired but I recently picked up a '17 Big Jon, have done the usual upgrades, 1x11, dropper, bars, saddle, tubeless etc. Totally loving it (at least I was until pedal-induced shin laceration has put me out for a month...)

Contemplating a fork upgrade, I guess 100mm Bluto is the obvious choice but wondering how those of you who went 120mm are getting on? Head angle too slack? Broken frame from excessive stress on the head tube? Or just a slightly more aggressive downhill stance and a bit more travel?

Anyone tried the Manitou Mastodon? Looks nice but pricey, especially in the UK.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    You're only talking about adding a degree or so (or taking it away) in HTA. Somewhere in the ~68 range. You'd still be a long way from what I'd call slack. The bikes are built beefy, and considering the abuse I've put mine through I can't imagine you'd have any significant trouble with the 120 in either the Bluto or the Mastodon. Don't count on any warranty support if something goes awry, but I don't see that happening. Haven't ridden the Mastodon, but everything I've read & heard has all been favorable. Whether or not it's worth the premium is in the eye of the "beer holder".

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345