Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    mtbr member

New Scott fat bike: Big Jon

Thanks for that. I'll probably just end up going in on the Scott big Ed. The dealer is not that far from me, and there is not a Jamis dealer with 90 miles. The nice thing about the big ad for me is that there won't be much tinkering. I've been building my own bikes and working on my own bikes for 13 years, and I think I'm ready to buy a complete bike and be done with it. The big ed near me comes with Kenda juggernauts and not the jumbo Jim's. Both sets of tires seem like they're pretty good. Has anyone studded the juggernauts for winter riding?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    For those of you that have gone tubeless on the big john, my buddy has one and I will be helping him to go tubeless soon. We will be using the sunringle tape. The question I have for you guys is could we use the original rim strip or will the tape not adhere to the rim strip causing eventual failure? If that is the case will I be able to use the sunringle rim strip 60mm to cover the spoke holes? Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Here is my new Big Jon in all it's glory;
    Attached Images Attached Images   

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Sweet ride !

mtbr member

Big Ed in my bike room.

Needs pedals. I have some temporary pedals t get a ride in soon, but in in the market for some pinned flat pedals. I'm probably going to get some fenders on it too.

I really like the ride (on my test ride anyway).

Depending on how the first few weeks go, I'll likely stud these 60 tpi juggernauts and buy the 120 tpi tires for the summer.

Cheers to all

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Got all the shiny new parts on and out for a ride. Even though my low gear is 26x42, I still could have used something lower. Trails were fast and packed, the bike performs flawlessly.

New Scott fat bike: Big Jon-img_20160213_155247991-01.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    First ride on the Big Ed

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Nice bikes ! thanks for posting.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Thanks fellas 32-33 lbs sounds about right. Seem to recall the front mech and shifter weighed around 350g

Cool snow pictures folks how long before it's gone?

No snow here in Middle England it hasn't rained for 5 WHOLE DAYS and the trails are drying up nicely although they're cut to bits in some places. Currently very sunny and about 5 degrees C so pretty much perfect for this time of year. Happy days

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    My picture was taken at 10,200 ft, there will be snow there until mid-June. The mountains behind are close to 14,000 ft, my house sits at 8,500 ft. I have a few more months of riding in the snow.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Yikes! Those are proper hills skogorbet

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by max gnarcore View Post
    Cool snow pictures folks how long before it's gone?
    There's usually snow here in Montana from early November to late March. Higher in the mountains, it'll stick around until May.

mtbr member

First trail ride.
    I love the lock out on the fork. I felt like descents into softer conditions were helped by the fork not locked out, not because the downhill was bumpy, but because the fork could compress somewhat when it hit the softer and deeper snow at the base of the hill and pop on top of it rather than diving into it.

The tires rode great- juggernaut sports 4.8.

I need studs- flirting with studding these tires or getting some ver tire snowshoe XLs.

Everything else just worked for me. It is a great ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Very cool big ed zinzinnati.thanks for posting.Im thinking about a bluto in the future but being my bike is a big jon with the heavier wheels the bluto will add lots of weight. the big ed with its better wheels and components can have a bluto without being heavy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Another beautiful day on the trail

New Scott fat bike: Big Jon-image-27128.jpg

New Scott fat bike: Big Jon-image-27124.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Can anyone tell me if I buy tube Sun ringle rim strips that they would be ok to cover the rim

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    The OE green tape is about 75 mm wide it covers the whole width of the rim.

I got some Surly Clown Shoe tape and some fat bike rim tape from On-One they both work fine. The Surly tape is a plasticky woven material not unlike the OE tape whereas On-One's is rubbery and flexible

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    looks like fun skogorbet. only 6 inches of snow so far here in ohio (not normal el nino)and that's for the whole winter. Im going to the higher elevations of pa or west va to ride in the next week or so I cant wait ! it looks you are in the ideal place to live and play.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Hi Guys from down under....
    I came across your forum whilst searching for some info on the Big Jon.
    I was originally looking at a Wheeler Savannah ( very cheap here but well spec'd )or a Spec. Fatboy but the way our dollar is against the USD....... too expensive at the moment.
    I live 3 blocks from the beach and am looking at mainly beach/sand riding .
    Managed to pick one up 2nd hand, but never ridden for half price .$ 1200.00 aus instead of $ 2400.00 ( things are expensive here....)
    The bike is usually specd here with XT rear but this one only has SLX. For the price though i am happy to put up with it.
    Its coming to the end of Summer here and we have about 25 -30 degrees C days here
    ( 70 - 90 f ) so its perfect beach riding weather.
    I will post some pics once i get the pedals on and take it out on the weekend.
    The earlier threads you Guys posted made up my mind that the Big Jon was a good thing.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    You are gonna love the big jon fat aussie.wise buy and best bang for the buck not to mention the lightest weight at this price range.the fact you got one used at a good deal is a bonus. don't forget to post some pics when you get the chance.g'day mate.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Big jon long term review on singletracks.com

Quote Originally Posted by BIGFAT29 View Post
    You are gonna love the big jon fat aussie.wise buy and best bang for the buck not to mention the lightest weight at this price range.the fact you got one used at a good deal is a bonus. don't forget to post some pics when you get the chance.g'day mate.
    Greg heil just posted a long term favorable review of the scott big jon on feb 26th at singletracks.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2016

First Ride

New Scott fat bike: Big Jon-20160228_193747_resized.jpgNew Scott fat bike: Big Jon-20160228_193825_resized.jpgNew Scott fat bike: Big Jon-20160228_193806_resized.jpg
    Thanks for the reply.
    Had the bike out for the first ride Fri night .
    Struggled a bit until i let the tyres waaaaay down. Will need to buy a gauge next.
    Got the bike for a good deal but am hoping its not too small. I am 6'1"and its a medium which is the same as my previous Yeti 575..... I am just at the limit of the standard post and seems OK. I will get some riser bars next . Overall position seems good.
    I have a Scale 29 er in a large which is a bet of a stretch .
    What rise bars are most of you riding ? 20 mm , 30 mm ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Greg heil just posted a long term favorable review of the scott big jon on feb 26th at singletracks.com
    Scott Big Jon Fat Bike Long Term Review | Singletracks Mountain Bike News
    good review but we knew that anyway

Sick bike Aussie hope you enjoy it. A digital pressure gauge is essential imho. I'm 6'2" and have an XL Jon with a flat Thomson bar the OE bar was a bit too sit up and beg for me

Finally got round to fitting the XT cassette I've had since Xmas:
    New Scott fat bike: Big Jon-xt-fitted.jpg

50g lighter than the OE Deore
    New Scott fat bike: Big Jon-deore.jpgNew Scott fat bike: Big Jon-xt.jpg

Apologies for the SLX mech I have an XT on standby but CBA to fit it

But I did swap the comfortable-but-heavy OE saddle for a Race Face Atlas I wasn't using. 350 g vs 200g so just under 0.5 lbs lighter in total

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Nice bike fat aussie ! Im 5' 10" and was thinking for a while that the medium big jon I bought was a little too big. after some adjustments and riding for awhile I think the medium was the right size for me. if your worried about the seatpost length you can buy a longer seatpost and with a higher rise riser bar it might feel a little better. you better watch out riding the big jon too close to the water a great white shark might want to take a bite out of those big fat tires.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Every little bit counts max gnarcore.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Spring has sprung here in England perfect conditions over the weekend = lots of riding.

Big Jon continues to hoover it all up New Scott fat bike: Big Jon-image1.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Same here Max. The weather was incredible this weekend. We're supposed to hit 90 today It hink.

What are the specs on your bike? Looks like you've made some changes. Different rim strips or did you actually go tubeless? Bars? 1x crankset?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher2011 View Post
    We're supposed to hit 90 today It hink.
    90 would be nice. It's about 10 degrees C here but at least it's stopped raining

What are the specs on your bike?
    It's fairly standard tbh

I wasn't fond of the all-over green accents so the rim tapes are Surly Clown shoe. I get a puncture about as often as Xmas so I have some Schwalbe freeride tubes in there to save a bit of weight.

The cranks are standard with a Race Face n/w and XT cassette

Thomson stem and seatpost. I did have a Thomson carbon bar but it wouldn't stay put even in the X4 stem so I've swapped it for a Renthal FatBar Lite which is solid. Race Face Half Nelson grips

Saddle is a Race Face atlas and rotors are RT-81s

I haven't weighed it but I guess it's 2 or 3 lbs lighter than standard. The front mech and everything that goes with it was around 350 g and the OE saddle was 350 g so even accounting for the Race Face saddle there's a pound right there.

What bike(s) have you got Kingfisher

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Oh hell man, I'm not serious like most of these guys. I got the Big Jon hoping for a "do all" that might help make up for some of my technical shortcomings and so far it fits the bill nicely. I've got a Felt road bike (flat bar) and the Big Jon. My other bikes are too old to mention. The Big Jon is still stock, but I hope to order the Bluto for it this week. After that a dropper post and I think it'll be just about right. I'll try to post pics with the the Bluto on once it's done. It'll look like the Ed of course... mostly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I got the Big Jon hoping for a "do all" that might help make up for some of my technical shortcomings
    Yup +1

The Big Jon is still stock, but I hope to order the Bluto for it this week.
    Would be interested to know how you get on with the Bluto. I was going to get one but after riding an On-One with a Bluto I was surprised how little difference it made. Keep us posted

mtbr member
    I've been riding a big Ed with a Bluto. I decided to go the Ed route vs the John route because of the deal I got on the bike. I like the Bluto. As a bit of background, I have been riding a rigid single speed for the past 13 years, so I do appreciate a rigid and light bike. I wanted the Bluto because I had noticed as my tires for bigger on my single speeds, I was getting more rebound from the front end. I waned to dampen the rebound I expected from a 4.8 tire..

So far I am happy with the decision. I'm sure the front end is heavier, but it is not burdensome on the trail. I was playing with the lockout when we had snow and I think the fork helps with transitions from hard pack to softer snow because the fork aloes recoil of the tire rather than pushing the tire into the soft snow banks. This was most noticeable at the bottom of our short New England hills as the soft snow collects at the bottom before the transition to the next climb.

I hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Anyone know if Scott might offer a full carbon high end Fatbike for next year?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I finally got round to fitting the XT mech and Saint shifter I've had since Xmas. The original SLX mech had been working fine but our apocalyptic UK mud and a few scrapes had taken their toll. Taking it off I noticed the hanger was bent inwards 1-2 mm so I straightened it up.

From the outside the XT and SLX mechs don't look that different but on the inside the XT has an alloy actuation arm whereas the SLX is pressed steel and the XT mech has holes in every plate whereas SLX is all solid. The XT jockey wheels are nicer too and the non-clutch version is very reasonably priced.

New Scott fat bike: Big Jon-img1.jpg

At the other end the Saint shifter is a masterpiece compared to the original Deore. I read somewhere it has bearings for the all-metal paddles and it feels really good. imo the absence of a gear indicator cleans up the bars as well.

New Scott fat bike: Big Jon-img2.jpg

The new shifter and mech went on easily with 6 feet of SP41 outer. I set the XT screws the same as the SLX and it worked straightaway, it just need a quarter turn at the shifter. The Saint shifter has a very tactile feel you can feel it moving the mech into postion between clicks and the actual 'click' itself is curously satisfying.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

The Big Jon gets a Bluto

Well I just got it back from the shop and here it is. From the couple of quick rides I've taken I think the Bluto is going to be exactly what the bike needed for my terrain and riding style (aka poor). It rides great. Some actual real trail time will be more telling. Now I just have to figure out how to adjust this thing. The fork on my hybrid doesn't have all this.

One question and possible issue. The fork on my hybrid is completely rigid when locked out. The Bluto is not behaving that way. It appears to behave as it should when unlocked, but when locked it still moves an inch or so? It definitely stiffens up, but it's still got some travel. A quick MTBR search indicated a possible low oil level? Is that likely on a brand new fork?

Apologies for the photography. Not my specialty.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Scott fat bike: Big Jon-big_jon_bluto_4.jpg  

New Scott fat bike: Big Jon-big_jon_bluto_3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    ^^^ play is normal on bluto lockout.. it will never become fully rigid...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Excellent. Good to know. Thank you!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Looks good Kingfisher, very purposeful

A few questions if I may

How much travel does your Bluto have and is it an RL or an RCT3

Does the front end feel much heavier
    How much clearance is there around the 4.8 JJ (pics please if possible).

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I didn't want any geometry issues so I tried to spec it like the big Ed. That and price was a factor. I went with the 100mm with the remote lockout, non-RCT3. I'll snap a pic and put it up after while but the forks have plenty of clearance. Probably 3/8" in the tightest spot.

I didn't really notice much difference in the front end at all in terms of the weight but the bike is so beefy anyway. *shrug*

I did a group ride today with some local folks and did 8 miles of rocky rooty single track... wow... what a difference. The Bluto takes almost all of that sketchy downhill bounce out of the front end and gives back a lot of control. I didn't use the lockout at all while up out of the seat and putting the power down in flat areas and I think I was slower as a result, but any loss in speed was made up for 10x in control. Now if I could just get better at squeezing this fat bastard between tight cedar trees.
    Last edited by Kingfisher2011; 04-04-2016 at 11:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Clearance pic. This is with the stock 4.8 JJ's. Sorry for the background clutter, I grabbed this photo real quick on my way out of the garage this morning. The gap at the 10:00 and 2:00 isn't quite as visible in these photos but it's uniform all the way around. Same as at 12:00.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Scott fat bike: Big Jon-big_jon_bluto_5.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks for posting kingfisher201. your big jon looks awesome with the bluto. its none of my business but I sure was curious how much the bluto cost and to have the shop put it on. if you don't mind telling us big jon owners would appreciate it.very cool bike again !

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    BIGFAT29 I had a local shop do it, Bicycle World aka "Jack Adams". I've got a relationship with those guys and they're good folks. Not the closest shop, but close enough. I ordered the fork from Cambria and it was $479 shipped. They were a little slow to ship but other than that, the transaction was smooth. Took 2 full weeks to show up. Bicycle World did the install for $37 in about an hour. I think it took me longer to drive across town (twice) than it did for them to install it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks kingfisher201. that's a pretty good deal. I want a bluto for my big jon maybe in the future it will happen.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Many thanks for the pictures

BTW I weighed my XL Big Jon at the weekend and it was dead on 14 kg or just under 31 lbs which I think is not too shabby

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Max that thing sounds like a lightweight! I wish I was that lucky. I figured that in stock trim the Big Jon was somewhere in the 34 lb region and pushing 37'ish with the Bluto? I was in such a rush to get the bike home on Friday that I completely forgot to have them weigh it at the shop. Sub 31lbs is darn trim as far as I'm concerned. That'd be about like a heavy 29'er with front suspension.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Yeah a few 100 g here and there soon adds up

The OE bars/stem/seatpost/saddle all good stuff but really heavy
    Same for those Tourney centrelock rotors they're like drain covers
    Front mech/shifter/granny ring 350g
    Schwalbe SV13F inner tubes half the weight of the SV13Js
    50 g on the cassette

All little things but easy to swap

I don't know if you've taken both the wheels out but the frame itself is surprisingly light.

I realise fat bikes and weight saving aren't usually mentioned in the same sentence but for me the bike flies. I borrowed a friend's Strava a few weeks ago and after 27 miles on dirt I gave it him back with
    46 PBs
    1 KOM (admittedly a niche segment)
    half-a-dozen top 10s and about 20 top 100s

I think the weight is a factor but I'm not entirely sure why the bike is so fast. it could be the size (probably my first bike for years that isn't slightly too small) or the momentum of 30" tyres. Or something else lol

Anybody else find their Big Jon flies along?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    With the tires pumped up my big jon is very fast for a fat bike.compared to my mongoose vinson fat bike I just sold its much faster and free wheels far better than the vinson. For those who don't know the mongoose vinson is not a department store bike and was a pretty good entry level fat bike at 36 lbs. I know it sound crazy but the big jon feels faster than my breezer Jetstream sport 29'er. maybe its the schwalbe's.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Glad it's not just me

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I just purchased my first Ft bike and after looking at several, I am happy to say I bought the big Jon and after first ride I was stoked about it, now if we could get some rain to stop in Michigan

Jack

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by max gnarcore View Post
    Glad it's not just me
    Nope. Assuming the Topeak gauge is accurate (undecided) at ~7PSI my JJ's are pretty well firmed up and that's how I ride them when i'm out doing dirt path with the kiddo or just screwing around doing some cardio. Unfortunately, I don't air them down nearly enough for trail work and traction suffers. When they're aired up though it is indeed a very quick rolling bike... for a bus.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

4.0 JJs

It's still raining here in England but this time of year it dries up pretty quickly so the trails are more dry than wet. Have also been out on the thin bikes a few times and rediscovered the 'joys' of tyres that dig in rather than float along. With this in mind I got some 4.0 Jumbo Jims to see how they performed now the trails are drier but still loose and rubbly.

The 4.8s weighed in at 1239g which I think is pretty good for a tyre that size:
    New Scott fat bike: Big Jon-4.8.jpg

The 4.0 are lighter but not that much:
    New Scott fat bike: Big Jon-4.0.jpg

The 4.0s went on easily they are a bit baggy like the 4.8s. I used the SV13F tubes I've had since January. They're half the weight of the 13Js and I've had no problems with them. Have been out on the 4.0s quite a few times and I have to say they're a bit of a mixed bag.

Disadvantages
    * the 4.0s don't roll anywhere near as good as the 4.8s. At the same pressure there is a noticeable drag like tight wheel bearings. Ease off the pedals and the bike slows whereas the 4.8s just kept on going. Coming down on the pressures helps but there's a fine line between rolling resistance and squirming. Have got them at 7/7 f/r. 6 psi feels squirrely 9 feels like dragging a boat anchor. With the 4.8s I rarely checked the pressures they felt good all the time.
    * the 4.0s don't sound as good as the 4.8s. That brobble-brobble sound has been replaced with a whiny drone
    * the smaller tyres have lowered the gearing. Even with a 36T up front I can wind it up in 9/10 on the flat without too much difficulty and spin out on the descents

Advantages
    * the bike is a lot more agile with the 4.0s. My local loop has some tricky switchbacks and corners with trees on the inside and outside and the bike is much easier to thread through these tight gaps
    * there's a lot less bob with the 4.0s. Difficult to describe but there's a noticeable absence of 'bounce' through the bars/steering it feels more like a thin tyred bike.
    * the bike is lighter by about 350 g but this is negated by the increased drag

Looks? Hmm...
    New Scott fat bike: Big Jon-img_2.jpg

Plenty of clearance front and rear:
    New Scott fat bike: Big Jon-img_1.jpg

New Scott fat bike: Big Jon-img_3.jpg

So far I'm not sold on the 4.0s. Am going to experiment some more with the pressures and maybe combine one of them with a 4.8

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast