Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Test rode one of these today and was pretty impressed with the whole package. Shimano hydros, front and rear thru axles, 150mm front hub width.

I was able to ride it through about 5" of snow and on hard packed snow and found no fault with the tires at all.

Compared to the Farley and Fatboy, it seems Scott put together much better package at a lower price IMO.

Maybe one day Trek and Specialized will discover thru axles on bikes below 2k.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Cool bike daveanchii I hope you enjoy it. I think the smaller frames accentuate the fat tyres my XL Jon doesn't look *as* fat

By way of an update although I like the grey/green paint I'm not too fond of the green accents on the components so I've been replacing them. The bars/stem and seatpost where the first to go and more recently I've replaced the green rim strips with black. The wheels aren't completely murdered out because the edges of the holes in the rims are still bare aluminium and they look good in a stealth kind of way. Will post some pics when it stops raining and I have chance to clean the bike. Last month was the wettest UK December in over 100 years and January has started off the same.

Have also fitted some rather nice RT81 rotors. If you change the rotors take care with the front lockring because you'll need to re-use it. It's an external-splined lockring that needs an HTII BB tool to remove it because it has a larger diameter hole in the middle to accomodate the 15 mm thru axle. The steel lockring looks rather workmanlike against the sublime aluminium carrier of the RT81 but when the wheel's in place it's not noticeable. No issues with the rear the 12 mm axle allows enough clearance for a cassette removal tool and the rotor is a straight swap. Again will post some pictures when it stops raining.

Have also re-routed the brake + mech cables to give a smoother run around the headtube and bought a digital pressure gauge. 9 psi in the front and 10 in the back works great on my local rubbly wet routes.

One minor hiccup with the bike was that the mech hanger bolts worked loose. I noticed the gears weren't as crisp as usual and after a closer look I found that the two little bolts that hold the hanger onto the frame were quite loose so I tightened them up and all was well. Maybe worth checking as they are quite small.

Happy new year everyone

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I think I'm about to pull the trigger on one as well. I've done a couple of test rides on it, and aside from the full rigid aspect, I'm totally sold. I'll probably make a couple of minor tweaks, like some ergo grips and maybe a saddle change. The grips were hell on my hands even on short rides.

The only thing I did wrong was do a test ride on a Scott Scale 710 Plus (they didn't have the 720 which is comparable in price to the Big Jon in stock). What an incredible bike. I could totally rock a 27.5+, but considering the 720 Plus wont be here until April and the price difference between the two gets me 2/3 of the way to a Bluto, I'm pretty sure that I'll go the instant gratification route and pick up the Big Jon in the next 48 hours or so. Pics inbound if it pans out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    smart decisions. the big jon is a wise buy. don't forget if you get a chance put some pics of your new bikes on here.

mtbr member
    So, if you want the Big Jon I would buy now.......shop called and said Scott is out of small Big Jons so if you need a small and see one at the shop, buy it. If the run on smalls is any indication of how well the medium and large will sell.....they nailed the parts group for the price point on the Jon.

The good news is they cut me a deal on a small Big Ed for the wife instead :-)
    2016 Pivot Mach 429er Pro 1X
    2008 Cannondale Rush
    2001 Ibis Ripley Soft Tail
    1997 Ibis Alibi HT
    Motobecane Lurch Fat Bike

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Nice bike boondock ! thanks for posting the pick.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Nice pic. I've got the medium from the LBS here at the house on an extended test. Unfortunately, no snow. We're in the 50's & 60's still (and we don't get snow), so I've been beating it up on the local trails. Technically it's been beating me up. I think I've gone soft from riding with front suspension for too long. The addition of a Bluto would make this thing just about perfect... yes I know the Big Ed has one... but has a price tag to go with it.

mtbr member

New Scott fat bike: Big Jon

Commuting to work today, a little kid with his mom remarked as I rode by "look mommy, a motorcycle." A pretty funny start to the morning.

Bikes been really good, I know the tires well and have the pressure sorted out by feel for the different types of riding I am doing. So far I have changed nothing, but I do have some riser bars on order to try out. I think I have about a 5" difference between top of seat and bar.

Have rode about 600km on my Scott Big Jon so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Some serious snow there folks!

Great pictures

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Awesome pic tigerteeuwen.looks like its sno problem for your scott in the snow.the winter here in ohio has been way too mild and still no snow.but to be honest I don't mind that bad its just the big jon is wanting to play in the stuff.thanks for posting.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    -9F at the trailhead

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Picked up the Big Jon on Friday. Fortunately I was able to get it at their Christmas price, $1359. I thought that was pretty freakin' fair, and it sealed the deal between getting the Big Jon now, or waiting on the Scale Plus which was due in April. (The Scale Plus is a sweet bike). Did a small ride with some simple single track and I really like the way this thing handles. Found a small rock garden here near the house... man... at my age and skill level, fat was the way to go. I think a Bluto is in order for the type of riding I'll be doing, but that'll be a month or so out. Fortunately the Felt Q20S will be here at the end of the week for my little riding buddy. I'm ready for him to be able to keep up... mostly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    -9F = -22C

It was around +9C here in England at the weekend and it had ACTUALLY STOPPED RAINING

The trails were a little moist but otherwise conditions were pretty good:
    New Scott fat bike: Big Jon-image1.jpg

The sun made a brief appearance
    New Scott fat bike: Big Jon-image2.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    That's a great deal for a big jon.you are gonna love the bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    -9 is too cold for me brrr ! nice bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by River19 View Post
    So, if you want the Big Jon I would buy now.......shop called and said Scott is out of small Big Jons so if you need a small and see one at the shop, buy it. If the run on smalls is any indication of how well the medium and large will sell.....they nailed the parts group for the price point on the Jon.

The good news is they cut me a deal on a small Big Ed for the wife instead :-)
    I've been told Scott is out of the XL's too. Any idea when they'll get more? Next time you're in the shop, see if they have an idea. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    My son's Felt should be in any day... when I go to pick it up I'll try to remember to have them check.

mtbr member

Jon and Ed

We picked up my wife's Big Ed on Saturday and the shop said the Jon has been hot as heck this year as far as sales and mentioned they are getting to the point where almost every size is out to order from Scott.....he shop I was at had a few in medium and a decent rental fleet of mediums with some rentals already spohem for at the end of the season ($400 down now pick up in mid March).

Love the Ed.....we put a couple great rides on it in some awesome snow conditions this weekend....

New Scott fat bike: Big Jon-ed-1.jpgNew Scott fat bike: Big Jon-ed-2.jpg
    2008 Cannondale Rush
    1997 Ibis Alibi HT

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I picked up my Big Jon a week ago and have 4 rides on it now. Loving every minute on it. I added a Thomson seatpost and Bontrager seat I had laying around, dropped a few grams and was more comfortable. The extra width of the 4.8 tires track and float so much better than my old bike with 4 inch tires on it, makes riding through the deep and soft stuff so much easier.

I'm planning on going 1x. I'm not using the big chainring at all, even on the decents, just don't get going fast enough to need it.

I'm trying to decide between just taking the front derailleur off and taking off the big chainring and replacing it with a bashguard, my low gear would be 22x36.

Or, do the Wolftooth/OneUp style conversion. I use this on my mountain bike, with a 30t NW up front and 42t granny on the back. The gearing for my riding around here is perfect. But, this is the more expensive option, needing a new rear derailleur to complete the conversion, plus the NW chainring and the 42t.

Has anyone done both and compared the differences. Pluses and minuses of each? Are there any chain line issues with either?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I did the 1x10 on my big jon but I bought a narrow wide raceface 32t ring and xt clutch type rear der with a xt rear cassette.I also bought the wolftooth 42t but it rubbed the rear der pretty bad. then after adjusting and dialing the 42t in I didn't see the need for it so I took it off and sold it. I have enough granny gears without the wolftooth 42t. I didn't really need the xt cassette since I didn't use the 42t as the stock cassette doesn't come apart to remove the 17 cog for the 42t.to sum up all I would of had to buy was the narrow wide ring and clutch type der to make it work or have a perfect chain line.I ended up leaving the xt cassette on as its a little better. oh and by the way the upgraded xt rear der is a little heavier than the stock slx rear der that came with the big jon go figure.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by skogorbet View Post
    I'm trying to decide between just taking the front derailleur off and taking off the big chainring and replacing it with a bashguard, my low gear would be 22x36.
    Yeah this would be the most economical solution. FWIW I swapped the 36T for a 36 NW and binned everything else and it works fine even with the standard non-clutch SLX mech.

Not entirely sure how a bigger range would work out. My mech has had a few strikes and the gear hanger has come loose and the gears have really suffered as a result. They seem less tolerant than the gears on my other bikes that have similar setups

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for the replies. I pretty much need the low gearing for the rides I do. I am always in the 22t up front, and mostly in the 34/36 in back when I'm climbing. I never use the high gears, don't really need them. A 1x3 in my case would probably be just fine. On my mountain bike I'm running a 30t NM up front with the 42t in the back, and it's about perfect. I do need a really low granny. Good to hear the non-clutch rear derailleur has been working, I could try that out a bit before making the switch.

mtbr member
    I got a question about the tire clearance on my wife's new Ed with the Kenda Juggs 4.5"

So hopefully these come out ok....

Steve

New Scott fat bike: Big Jon-12496037_10208914547407488_7145217289170660639_o.jpgNew Scott fat bike: Big Jon-12604854_10208914546607468_7272466585512479786_o.jpgNew Scott fat bike: Big Jon-12605346_10208914546887475_8795718087371110432_o.jpgNew Scott fat bike: Big Jon-12605537_10208914546127456_671375810742054657_o.jpg
    2008 Cannondale Rush
    1997 Ibis Alibi HT

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Lovin' this bike more and more every day. What a great riding bike!

New Scott fat bike: Big Jon-image-24775.jpg

New Scott fat bike: Big Jon-image-24777.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    No snow here in Middle England it's a balmy 13 C at the moment. Obligatory bike-leaning-against-tree pic:
    New Scott fat bike: Big Jon-img_1014.jpg

mtbr member
    Enjoy the Big Jon, Scott has put together a couple really nice Fat offerings this year.
    2008 Cannondale Rush
    1997 Ibis Alibi HT

mtbr member

I have been running a riser bar on my big Jon with a thicker lizard skin north shore grip and it has been very comfortable, as you can see my seat is quite high (XL frame) imagine the bar offset if I did not have riser bars.

I have about 800km on the bike now, so far everything has been really good. I would recommend his bike to anyone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Cool pic !

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Any usa big jon owners have a oem syncros black with green seatpost they decided to take off because they upgraded the seatpost ? Im looking for a like new or mint one to buy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGFAT29 View Post
    Any usa big jon owners have a oem syncros black with green seatpost they decided to take off because they upgraded the seatpost ? Im looking for a like new or mint one to buy.
    Yep, I've got mine that I removed before I even rode the bike. PM to make arrangements...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    thanks will do pm and thanks for your reply.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Got a riser bar and some ergon grips

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Nice. Those Ergons are on my list as well. The factory grips might as well be emery cloth but I'm getting used to them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I getting one of these babies tomorrow. Anything I should watch out for or upgrade?

Unfortunately I won't be able to ride for a few days, I crushed my finger, right at the end of my shift at, work today.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    DOH! For me for my type of riding I'm considering seriously in investing in a dropper post, and after my last trail ride I think a Bluto is definitely in order (I was planning on it anyway). Other than that and the aforementioned grips, I've been pretty happy with the stock config. Then again, I'm not the hard core rider that a lot of these guys are.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    This bike doesn't "need" any upgrades. It rides great right out of the box. But, I've changed some stuff around to suit my needs a little better. Thomson seatpost and a Bontrager seat that I had laying around. I also put on some 780mm riser bars that I had with a Crankbrothers riser stem that brought me into a bit more of an upright position that I prefer. I also put some ODI lock on grips that I prefer for bigger hands. I am in the process of changing to a 1x drivetrain as I never use the big ring, so I am removing those extra bits that I'm not using. So, nothing really upgraded, just a bit of customizing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Great bike from the start but the seat and grips were the first to go on my big jon. a riser bar really helped me for the perfect comfortable cockpit. I now have a dent free seatpost thanks to skogerbet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I picked up my Big Jon today as well as 200 grip studs, a sweet set of Sixty platform pedals and set of riser bars. I can't wait to hit the trails.
    As soon as I resize my pictures of the bike I'll post them up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    cool. looking forward to the pics.
    Last edited by BIGFAT29; 02-06-2016 at 10:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher2011 View Post
    DOH! For me for my type of riding I'm considering seriously in investing in a dropper post, and after my last trail ride I think a Bluto is definitely in order (I was planning on it anyway). Other than that and the aforementioned grips, I've been pretty happy with the stock config. Then again, I'm not the hard core rider that a lot of these guys are.
    None of us actually ride, we just drink beer and argue online.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Did someone say beer ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    As above Big Jon has a good spec out of the box - part of the reason I bought one.

The stock grips are a bit grim but everything else is pretty good. Like many folk I changed the bars & stem and made it 1x10 out of personal preference.

Brakes have impressed me for such budget stoppers they work very well. Wheels and hubs while not the lightest spin easily and have stayed true. I even like the stock saddle

Have ridden it a lot since October and apart from a loose gear hanger which may or may not have been my fault it takes our apocalyptic UK conditions in its stride and comes back for more. Have got some XT bits on standby for the Spring time when it hopefully stops fricken raining

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Morning all

Has anyone weighed their Big Jon? I haven't but just wheeling it in and out of the shed it doesn't feel too heavy maybe 30 lbs or thereabouts

Just wondered if anyone had put theirs on the scales

mtbr member
    I stopped by the LL Bean flagship store in Freeport (Maine) the other night and they had the Big Jon for $1,500 and the Big Ed for $2,200. I thought they looked nice for bikes and it was certainly a good price.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nothing to see here, move along folks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilligaff View Post
    I stopped by the LL Bean flagship store in Freeport (Maine) the other night and they had the Big Jon for $1,500 and the Big Ed for $2,200. I thought they looked nice for bikes and it was certainly a good price.
    That is a very solid price for an Ed. My wife loves hers.

$1500 is about what the Jons were going for early season too.....so not as great a deal there in my opinion. Nice bike for $1500 however
    2008 Cannondale Rush
    1997 Ibis Alibi HT

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Mine weighed at the shop before I took it home, with pedals was 32.3 lbs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    My scott big jon is set up with 1 x 10 drivetrain has light pedals , light seat ,riser bars cut down but has heavier Schrader tubes.it rolls out at 32.5 lbs.

mtbr member

I am seriously consider getting a Big Ed. Is there any reason to be concerned about the pressfit bottom bracket? Seems like hundred millimeter bottom brackets are the "standard".i'm trying to decide between this bike and a specialized Fatboy or surly Wednesday with the bluto

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Besides the scott fat bikes which are both great Consider the jamis roughneck fat bike or the felt line of fat bikes.the specialized fatboy line to me is pricey for what you get.the surly Wednesday is pretty cool but its 35 lbs without a bluto.the jamis is 1600 bucks not bad specs and its great looking with the internal cable routing and one piece welded fork but Im a scott guy. you can probably get a good deal on a bluto fork if you end up with a non front suspension bike. bottom brackets shotim smackets tumato tomato its all good.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast