Thread: New rubber

mtbr member

New rubber

I'm looking to replace my trusty 27tpi nates for something more "all rounder". I have a set of 4.8 studded tires for deeper snow and icy winter conditions, so ultimate flotation and loose conditions I have covered. I'm looking for a tire that will cover the late fall and early spring seasons in New England. It must handle light snow, slickrock, light mud (I won't ride and destroy trails that are too soft), occasional beach days, and roll pretty well on frozen hardpack and pavement. 26x4.0 on 80mm rims, tubeless with fatty stripper rimstrips, lightish but not too light to handle sharp rocks(1100 to 1300 grams). I've been eyeing bontrager hodags, spec ground control fats, and jumbo jims. Opinions and suggestions for any others much appreciated.
    To appreciate the flowers you must also walk among s**t to know the difference

Rocking on a Rocky
    I love my Bulldozers for 3 season riding.
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

This place needs an enema
    I was thinking Hodag's before you even mentioned 'em.

turtles make me hot
    I run 4.8 Knard on the back of my bike and a Bud on the front on Surly My Other Brother Darryl rims in exactly the conditions you're describing. Works great.

Hodags would be a ton faster.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    For late Fall and early Spring I'd add Vanhelga's to your list, similar to the Nates but faster rolling and tubeless, my favorite 3 season tire.
    '07 Spec Enduro
    '14 Salsa Mukluk 2
    '16 Salsa Bucksaw GX1

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I run 4.8 Knard on the back of my bike and a Bud on the front.
    This guy knows his stuff! Its a pretty killer combo, but knard isn't a huge fan of mud. Knobs are too close and small.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I do 120tpi Nate and Hodag on my 3 season bike

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Guys I ride with who do the 4" tires do the Jumbo Jims.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    I agree with jimbo Jim's for dryer season trail riding. Hell I use them when there's a couple inches of snow on the ground. Only issues are mud and deeper snow. Fastest and lightest tire I know of and great traction for what look like minimal knobs.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Me luvs the Jumbo Jims for summer use:
    4.0 on 100s (effective width 4.3'') for gravel and pavement
    4.8 on 80s (effective width 4.4'') for the occasional trail ride (those rare days when the local trails ain't mud bogs)

Holy smoke do these things roll, despite an open knob pattern.
    Espen Wethe
    www.kindernay.com
    Kindernay on BikeRumor: https://goo.gl/iQtWxu

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Espen W View Post
    Me luvs the Jumbo Jims for summer use:
    4.0 on 100s (effective width 4.3'') for gravel and pavement
    4.8 on 80s (effective width 4.4'') for the occasional trail ride (those rare days when the local trails ain't mud bogs)

Holy smoke do these things roll, despite an open knob pattern.
    I was first considering jj's and heard they roll fast, but was concerned the smallish knobs would wipe out on anything loose. Gloppy thick mud I'm not concerned about, just patches of softish moderate stuff between rocky sections.
    To appreciate the flowers you must also walk among s**t to know the difference

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    This guy knows his stuff! Its a pretty killer combo, but knard isn't a huge fan of mud. Knobs are too close and small.
    Yeah. I try to avoid riding in mud because I hate tearing up the trail and my Knard will slip in it when I'm forced to ride through it.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I'm running a 4.8 JJ up front and a Minion FBR on the rear. The Minion's heavy compared to the JJ, but man does it hook up well here in the desert. I love the way the JJ rolls and its lightness is welcome on the front end. Steers nice, too.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

Professional Hobbyist
    I'm running the Bontrager Barbaghezzi 26x4.7 and think it's a good match for what you want. They're not too heavy and roll pretty well. I mostly ride them on dirt and beach sand.
    Work expands to fit the time allotted...

Flying Sasquatch
    Vee Snow avalanche. The Vee tires all have a nice, fast rolling 120TPI casing like the jumbo Jim's, but the Avalanche has tons more traction.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by KTMNealio View Post
    Vee Snow avalanche. The Vee tires all have a nice, fast rolling 120TPI casing like the jumbo Jim's, but the Avalanche has tons more traction.
    I can't speak to all Vee tires but the Vee Snowshoe XL, with 120TPI, is the slowest tire I have ever ridden and it really doesn't have all that great traction either. There is more to fast tires than 120 tpi casings.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    I've ridden the Avalanche. Can't comment on snow performance, but on hardpack, the JJ is miles ahead.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I run 4.8 Knard on the back of my bike and a Bud on the front on Surly My Other Brother Darryl rims in exactly the conditions you're describing. Works great.
    My one fatbike same three-season tire setup and the other a Bud and Ground Control deal - both on 100mm Clownshoes. Switch out the Knard and Ground Control for gripstudded Lous in the winter.

I'd agree not the fastest setups in the fatbike world but very reliable on variable trail surfaces outside of pure mud which I won't ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    I can't speak to all Vee tires but the Vee Snowshoe XL, with 120TPI, is the slowest tire I have ever ridden and it really doesn't have all that great traction either. There is more to fast tires than 120 tpi casings.
    Ditto Bulldozer, it is a pig on trails

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I have a dark horse for this thread: Maxxis Colossus. Have them on 120 tpi and can say they're the exact middle of the road between a no-knob JJ and a too aggressive Bud/Lou. They roll extraordinarily well on hardpack/road for their heft (they're heavyish) but there's 3 things that have endeared me to them: they go tubeless ridiculously easy (no fattie stripper needed), as they just snap into place like a car tire, no burping, no pressure loss at all; they have a thread design that somehow sheds sand like it's teflon or something (unlike "sand-glue" Jims), and they take a beating against sharp rock edges, branches and concrete like it's none of their business. And they can be had cheaper than any of the rubber mentioned in this thread so far.