movement
    Oct 2011

New Pugsley Fenders!

So I just had some fenders installed this week. These are dedicated fatbike fenders that a guy here in the Twin Cities is building and hoping to create a small business around. They are quite nice and they are designed specifically for the size and type of bike they are going on to.

Unfortunately I can't figure a way to get a photo into a thread so I am just going to post a link to a flickr photostream.

I really can't stress how top-drawer the quality is on these or how nice a guy the maker of these is. If anyone wants more info about him I am happy to oblige.

FENDER PICS
    "If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers." -Thomas Pynchon

Dr Gadget is IN
    Very nice fenders!

Pricing and contact info??

PS: copy image location and paste into little yellow box w/mts.
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Those look really sweet !
    They could do with some black mounting hardware.
    But like Wadester said, we need more info.

mtbr member
    Tidy. Rear stays could be a bit more elegant
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

movement
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wadester View Post
    Pricing and contact info??
    $125 for a set.

He is supposed to have a website going live by the weekend but it isn't up as of yet. I will post once it goes live.

His email is: jrr5100@yahoo.com

His name is John. He is a super-nice guy and a dedicated fatbiker!

Quote Originally Posted by Rabies010 View Post
    Those look really sweet !
    They could do with some black mounting hardware.
    But like Wadester said, we need more info.
    And we talked about black brackets. That will be some time in the future. He is just a regular guy with a regular job so the outlay for this is pretty big.

This is all custom for his specs. So he has to order something like 200 sets of everything. And every bike(Pug, 907, Muk) gets a slightly different set of hardware and brackets.
    "If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers." -Thomas Pynchon

Anchorage, AK
    When do you need fenders on a fatbike? Doesn't the snow get stuck between the fender and the tire?

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudhands View Post
    $125 for a set.

And we talked about black brackets. That will be some time in the future. He is just a regular guy with a regular job so the outlay for this is pretty big.

This is all custom for his specs. So he has to order something like 200 sets of everything. And every bike(Pug, 907, Muk) gets a slightly different set of hardware and brackets.
    Thank's for the info !
    I already send him a mail to see if he can do something for us people with Maverick forks as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ziax01 View Post
    When do you need fenders on a fatbike? Doesn't the snow get stuck between the fender and the tire?
    It can and does in slushy conditions, but fenders have other uses. Basically decide what is most inconvenient - being covered in cold wet slush and hypothermia or having to clear the wheel every so often (and it will still get stuck even without a fender)

Also good for mud.

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    wel, John was very quick with a reply to my mail with questons about the material, brackets, suspension fork and price.

His reply :

Thank you in your interest in my fender kits. To answer the questions in the order that you gave them.

1) They are made out of ABS plastic, very thermally stable and durable also very UV resistant.
    2) At this time I am not able to offer black mounting bracket, however I have worked some up and will have pictures on my website coming soon www.bigomfg.com
    3)I have built kits that mount on suspension forks, but without having yours to build directly to it makes it more difficult, I would be open to discussing this in more detail with you.
    4)In your case I am not sure what the custom cost would be, however the basic kits start at $100, as far as shipping I can check.

I think i will order a set in the near future.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Nice! They look tidy.

I love his website URL. I don't know what OMFG means to him, but it makes me grin.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

movement
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    Nice! They look tidy.

I love his website URL. I don't know what OMFG means to him, but it makes me grin.
    I am sure he didn't even see that. I think Bigo Mfg is where he is coming from.

Also, he told me on Monday that he has some other fatbike-specific ideas for other products but didn't want to discuss it any further until he has them ready to go.

mtbr member
    Very nice!
    Thanks for the tip Cloudhands!
    Moonlander's
    Sandman Hogger Ti

Moon Child
    Jul 2011
    Pugs and Muks, what about Moonies?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudhands View Post
    Very cool. Hopefully parts are common enough that he can do mixed sets. My 907, for example, has an offset Pugsley fork.

movement
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Fresno View Post
    Pugs and Muks, what about Moonies?
    You would have to ask John but I think just trimming the sides up a bit would do the trick for the BFLs.

Geordie biker
    They look great!
    2014 milage so far - 2,485
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

Human Test Subject
    does he know about this thread?

movement
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    I told him I was going to post some pictures and give out his info.

And somebody else earlier in the thread already contacted him. So yes.

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Yes he does.
    He received a mail with a link to this thread from me.

*Cloudhands was a bit quicker.

Human Test Subject
    If Mr Omfg needs to measure a Moonlander he can message me, I'm in Mpls too

mtbr member
    Those are sweet!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I want some. Any info on the website?? It must not be up and running yet...at least not for me

Smash Mode: ON
    The position of that rear stay does very little for strength unless you plan on getting rear ended. Other than that I like them a lot and the price is certainly right. In fact they look pretty similar to some I am making right now out of carbon fiber and thin-wall aluminum tubing.

And lol at the what do you need fenders for post.
    Whatever floats your bike, dude

PRETENDURO
    Getting the mounting hardware black wouldn’t be too hard to accomplish with some heavy-duty spray-on matte black spraypaint… oh, and get some black anodised mounting bolts.

Those fenders look tits! Makes the bike appear like a WWII German motorbike or something.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Perpetual n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Getting the mounting hardware black wouldn’t be too hard to accomplish with some heavy-duty spray-on matte black spraypaint… oh, and get some black anodised mounting bolts.

Those fenders look tits! Makes the bike appear like a WWII German motorbike or something.
    The third reich beich? lol

Human Test Subject
    Website has been updated to say that it's currently closed for updates

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I've got a set of these coming to OZ, I'll let you know how they work out. John has sent me a 2nd full set of mounting hardware to try and get them on the SC32. He's very easy to deal with.

Al

mtbr member
    Does anyone have any alternate contacts for "John"? I sent an email to the email posted earlier trying to order some fenders but I haven't heard anything back in like a week.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I tried to order some via email a month ago and got nowhere so I gave up and made my own fenders.

Human Test Subject
    Store is up and running with a lot of different fat options, but no Moonlanders yet. Hopefully he'll have some next fall.

Also, struts are now black

Perpetual n00b
    Web site is great! Big O Manufacturing, LLC Home Page

My only suggestion would be that clicking on the images redirect you to a higher resolution image. The pics are too small to really see the detail in the goods.

mtbr member
    Is there a way to put a rack on with these fenders? They look really nice and after the rain we've had, fenders would be really helpful.

movement
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bethany1 View Post
    Is there a way to put a rack on with these fenders? They look really nice and after the rain we've had, fenders would be really helpful.
    I haven't put any on yet. But it will really depend on if you want a front rack or back or both. It will also depend on your fork. I am really only planning on a front rack on my Black Pug with ML fork so I will have no problems. I imagine it will be easy enough for most folks.

Dr. Frost
    Store is up and running with a lot of different fat options, but no Moonlanders yet. Hopefully he'll have some next fall.

Also, struts are now black
    Would the regular pugs fenders work or are they just too narrow?

Surly Black Ops Fender Kit

Human Test Subject
    The fenders themselves all seem to be the same size. Mounting hardware varies. I'd email him to find out for sure.

He might be busy though, he hasn't gotten back to me on Moonlander fenders yet and I emailed him 3 days ago.ago

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    very nice!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Hey,
    Have any of you guys purchased these fenders? I bought a set for my pugs in very early March and the instructions were a little sparse for me. i have questions on how you guys that purchased these might have mounted them...Pics would be especially helpful.

Thanks.

Mark

Dr. Frost
    is there a moonlander update??

mtbr member
    These look great and I have added them to my build list.

Human Test Subject
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastskiguy View Post
    is there a moonlander update??
    I asked in the email I sent him. He said he had no plans, but that was a while ago. I think the issue is that the plastic is the same size for everyone and he only needs to change the struts for the smaller fat bikes. A Moonlander would require new struts AND plastic fenders.

A front one would be nice but so far I'm happy with my mud shovels

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I had some issues with the FD cable/cage/chain contact on the fender. Some mild trimming at the chainline fixed it. It was no better or worse of an install than any other fenders (and I have done about all of them including Planet Bike, SKS, Tanaka, Honjo, V-O, Wald, and Bluemels).

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    wow! these look great. I saw what he was making early on and I took a stab at making my own. They serve their intended purpose just fine but John's stuff has definitely evolved and look much more for lack of a better term....factory

my body breaks the falls
    I picked up a set recently and really like them. I went with the shorter version. Still need to add a brace to the front fended as it does shake quite a bit on the rough stuff. The installation was pretty straight forward - it just took a little contemplation as to how and where I wanted them, a drill, some tools and about 10 minutes of effort.
    $500 million for more irresponsible EBRPD land management? No thanks.
    www.noonmeasureww.org

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I'm going to be in on a set of these.....that is once I get a FAT Bike

my body breaks the falls
    I received a couple PMs asking about mounting, so here are a couple of newer pics that may help:

The front was quite easy, but does need more support. Going to add a brace this week.
    The rear just took some time to line up and determine where to position it. I used a piece of string to center the holes I drilled. Mounting required rear wheel removal. The rubber on the clamps allowed for a little tweaking since it has a tight grip. The front derailleur was close, but doesn't rub. You can see the rear tire clearance in pics 1 and 4. Lots of room unless you're really hitting the drops. On rough chattery trails it may "wag" a bit, but it hasn't necessitated a brace (yet) on my trails.
    www.noonmeasureww.org

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    cool. thanks for the links.

Dinner for wolves
    twindaddy,

What did you end up doing for a brace? Curious. I wonder if gluing/riveting a strip of 1/16" aluminum or carbon fiber to the inside curvature would be adequate?
    Responds to gravity

my body breaks the falls
    I used these Cascadia 29er Fender V-Stay and soldered on some of these Shop IDEAL 2-Pack Terminal Wire Connectors at Lowes.com (although not this exact piece). These were attached to the fenders using rivets with a small washer inside and outside.
    To do so I had to cut them to length. Here's a rough sketch of how they were attached:
    Name:  Screen Shot 2013-03-04 at 9.35.19 AM.png
Views: 2571
Size:  10.4 KB
    Before cutting I added a curve to them to allow for ample tire clearance.
    A couple notes:
    - The fender is a bit brittle. The lower mounts were too close to the edge and they cracked. I had to cut off the bottom 1.5" since it was unrepairable. Be sure to use a high speed drill for the holes and move them in from the edge a reasonable amount.
    - I tried repairing first and discovered that when I used a nut and bolt instead of rivet that the compression caused to split too. I think rivets may be the better choice.
    - A longer wire connector, or even some other kind of end, will allow for a tighter fit inside the fender. I didn't want the braces on the outside for aesthetic reasons.
    - Perhaps use the rivets only once you're sure of placement? Test fit with nut and bolt first?
    - Would be nice to be able to "fix" cracks and/or holes.
    www.noonmeasureww.org

Dinner for wolves
    Right on. Great feedback. Thanks.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    I had a set of the fenders installed on my bike an I think it looks great.

.flickr.com/photos/brohrich/sets/72157632938266713/

I don't have enough post to do images or links.

Dr Gadget is IN
    Quote Originally Posted by brohrich View Post
    I had a set of the fenders installed on my bike an I think it looks great.

.flickr.com/photos/brohrich/sets/72157632938266713/

I don't have enough post to do images or links.
    New Pugsley Fenders!-8537531476_26c8972c2d_c.jpg

Here ya go. I note that I had to go to a specific resolution image (Medium 800 (800 x 600)) and rightclick/copy image location - then open "insert image" (advanced editor, mid row, 4th group from left, 4th icon) and paste that address in the URL entry box. Whew! Voila.
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

mtbr member

New Pugsley Fenders!

Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I saw a Pugsley on UNL campus this week with full fenders. Is that any of you guys? what kind and how much? they look like they might have been like the OP's?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Looks great...until you get a rear flat and want to kill yourself.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyBike View Post
    Looks great...until you get a rear flat and want to kill yourself.
    I assume you mean it's hard to change a flat with fenders?

Not sure about you guys, but I prefer to change my flats with the wheel off the bike.

Oh, and while I'm in here stirring up trouble, has anyone weighed one of these bolt on pugsley kits in a rtr state?

Dinner for wolves
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Mustangs View Post
    Not sure about you guys, but I prefer to change my flats with the wheel off the bike.
    <facepalm>

Wheel removal with horizontal drops is made difficult with full fenders. That is the point. Wheel removal with partial rear fenders (like those pictured above) is going to be easier, but then you lose full coverage. No free lunch.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak View Post
    <facepalm>

Wheel removal with horizontal drops is made difficult with full fenders. That is the point. Wheel removal with partial rear fenders (like those pictured above) is going to be easier, but then you lose full coverage. No free lunch.
    Thanks for shedding light on that. My Moonlander is my first bike with horizontal dropouts, not had the wheel off yet. I never thought about the fender being in the way. For simplicity a fender that had a hinge to swing the rear part of the fender up out of the way like my old vintage BMW sounds like a good idea. I have thought about going to the local sheet metal shop and having fenders made, or making my own fenders. The hinge wood be a plus, OR, just suck it up without fenders!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak View Post
    Wheel removal with horizontal drops is made difficult with full fenders.
    Wheel removal is made difficult by putting a rear derailleur on horizontal dropouts. Adding fenders just adds more hate to the already existing hate.

Added to that, for me, my old Barney purple Pugs requires me to move the rear disk brake caliper to release the rotor before sliding the wheel out as well. It looks like the OP does not have that issue luckily as that frame is smaller than mine and I think Surly finally learned better on later models.

To remove my rear wheel I take the QR skewer ALL the way out. Then grab the chain on the small rear cog, pull backward away from the cog and wrap the chain around the back of the horizontal chain stay. You now have a fender brace blocking that action. So for me, that fender would be causing two new problems - I can't get the chain out of the way and now the back of the fender is blocking the wheel from sliding out.

My guess is that rear fender will be abandoned at the roadside (trailside) after the first puncture.

Sorry to be Debbie Downer. These things are good to know beforehand. You might thank me later.

Dinner for wolves
    Quote Originally Posted by Bizman View Post
    Thanks for shedding light on that. My Moonlander is my first bike with horizontal dropouts, not had the wheel off yet. I never thought about the fender being in the way. For simplicity a fender that had a hinge to swing the rear part of the fender up out of the way like my old vintage BMW sounds like a good idea. I have thought about going to the local sheet metal shop and having fenders made, or making my own fenders. The hinge wood be a plus, OR, just suck it up without fenders!
    A telescoping rear fender would be sweet. I could imagine just adding a section to the rear fender in Wadester's pic above. Cut a slot or series of holes in moving section of fender, two holes in the fixed section, two bolts with wing nuts...I can see it in my mind's eye - the birthplace and eventual resting place of the majority of my DIY ideas.

EDIT: Totally doable. Slot would allow trailside changes, but would certainly be more difficult to execute properly. Holes would allow you to set up ahead of time depending on your priority: fix flats vs. full coverage. Seems like a lot of headache to live with horizontal drop-outs, don't it?
    Responds to gravity

Oh, gotcha. I don't have horizontal dropouts, and I'm pretty sure my full coverage fenders wouldn't hinder removal with them anyways.

New Pugsley Fenders!-11_26_2012-1505-.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    That is beautiful!^^

You can use any fenders you want to on the Salsa in the photo. The wheel should fall right out when you flip the QR skewer open. I am jealous.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Pugs Plastic Fenders from Corrugated plastic drainage pipe

All: Got this idea from somebody in the UK somewhere on here, turns out 4'' diameter corrugated plastic drainage pipe and a pair of meter sticks for stays, judicious use of a 450W heat gun outside, and one gets Pugs fenders. Mind you they won't win any fashion awards!
    New Pugsley Fenders!-p1010004.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Not any prettier, but some clearer photos....zip ties work here down to -30C, best to fill them with epoxy once set up....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Pugsley Fenders!-p1010002.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Mind you they won't win any fashion awards!
    That's the biggest understatement that I have seen in a long time!

I'd don't think that I'd even be willing to do that to one of those Walmart fatbikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeG View Post
    That's the biggest understatement that I have seen in a long time!

I'd don't think that I'd even be willing to do that to one of those Walmart fatbikes.
    Lol! Thumbs up for ingenuity though!

I'm not a fender person myself. Although the way I looked after my 10 miles of slush & mud singletrack ride today, I could be swayed

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bizman View Post
    ...For simplicity a fender that had a hinge to swing the rear part of the fender up out of the way like my old vintage BMW sounds like a good idea. I have thought about going to the local sheet metal shop and having fenders made, or making my own fenders. The hinge wood be a plus, OR, just suck it up without fenders!
    No need to do without.

Here's how I solved that problem for the Pugsley. The hinge is actually part of an old rack mount repurposed.

I have similar fenders/mudguards on my 907, but the hinge isn't necessary because it's a vertical dropout.

The motorcycle mudguards I use are robust and light and can take the all the bashing that a mtb can dish out.

I can highly recommend using full fenders. I can go out all day in slushy conditions and arrive home warm and dry while my friends are hypothermic. I recently did a 24 hour solo in sleet and mud and afterwards several people commented on how little mud there was on me or my bike. Mudguards + pogies = dry bum, warm feet, and warm hands even after several hours.
    Last edited by Velobike; 03-25-2013 at 02:11 AM.

mtbr member
    I dunno, my impromptu rear fender last time it snowed wasn't all that fashionable either.

I also put one under the bottom frame rail for the front. It's a thin plastic windshield wiper package cut open.
    Fatbike Chicago on Facebook

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mochunk View Post
    I dunno, my impromptu rear fender last time it snowed wasn't all that fashionable either.

I also put one under the bottom frame rail for the front. It's a thin plastic windshield wiper package cut open.
    That's pure class!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Somewhere, someone posted a model name and number of a motocross fender that was re-purposed for fat bikes.....but darn if I can find it in the posts anymore.

Anyone have that info off the top of their head?

mtbr member
    These are what I use

TY Trials UK

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I bought the full size fenders for my pugsley from big o mfg and man are they nice :-)
    as far as removing the rear tire all you have to do is remove the 2 allen screws from rear fender support and the fender will bend to the side so you can remove the wheel
    the plastic is real flexible

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Bummer - was all set up to buy a pair, and apparently there wasn't enough market for 5" fenders

"Thank you for your interest in our fender kits. We no longer offer our 5 inch kits due to lack of demand and are not offerring it as a custom option." - John

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by high_desert_mud View Post
    Bummer - was all set up to buy a pair, and apparently there wasn't enough market for 5" fenders
    Don't be bummed...think of it as an opportunity for a future DIY project

turtles make me hot
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Thanks - what thread is that from, i have seen that fender from different UK companies, but not from that site (so it looks like i missed a thread or at least some posts).

Their site only allows UK as country choice in shipping, so I've emailed asking for a quote.

Members who have read this thread: 58