mtbr member

New Mukluk 3 Owner: Couple of Noobee Questions

What's the max snow depth for a fat bike? Where I live has a bunch of MUPs that have about an inch of snow. Bike works great. Tried to go across an open area with at least 6" of snow. Got about 3 feet and front wheel buried and couldn't move. So what new snow can I go in...or does it all have to be somewhat packed?

Tire pressure? Am I correct that I just keep adjusting until it feels good? What pressure might work best on fresh snow?. Bike shop gave me the bike with 8 lbs saying that's what the mfg recommends. I've seen other posts with 4 to 4.5 psi.

Thanks guyz
    "Ride Long and Prosper"
    Rans VRexAchetta, Bike Friday NWT & Tandem, Salsa Mukluk 3

mtbr member
    6" of fresh stuff in most cases is too deep to maintain momentum. 3-4" is doable unless ascending hills/grades. if shoers or snowmobiles have used a trail and semi packed it down then it makes for an easier go of it. As for psi 8 would be high on fresh stuff, 5 is plenty low enough however if its semi packed down adjust accordingly.

happy trails

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    6" of fresh stuff in most cases is too deep to maintain momentum. 3-4" is doable unless ascending hills/grades. if shoers or snowmobiles have used a trail and semi packed it down then it makes for an easier go of it. As for psi 8 would be high on fresh stuff, 5 is plenty low enough however if its semi packed down adjust accordingly.

happy trails
    Thanks....what's your reccomendation for "hard" packed trails?
    "Ride Long and Prosper"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JKeenan7 View Post
    Thanks....what's your reccomendation for "hard" packed trails?
    snow trails would be very similar to summer time ST hard packed @ 7-8psi if your intent is to lessen the hits you encounter........if your just bombing along then go higher.

Nuts
    First rule of snow is there is no rules!! Trial and error every snow is different and it can change by the minute, I've rode through 8 inches of fresh powder and haven't been able to move in 4 inches. Experiment and have fun.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    First rule of snow is there is no rules!! Trial and error every snow is different and it can change by the minute, I've rode through 8 inches of fresh powder and haven't been able to move in 4 inches. Experiment and have fun.
    I shall be so guided!!!
    "Ride Long and Prosper"