Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rednose/Greenback

New Low at Costco

Walked into a local Costco and was surprised to see a fat bike for sale. Not exactly my cup of tea mind you but such is the way of the world.

New Low at Costco-2017-04-11-15.08.17.jpg

No way to un-see it so I went home and gave my greenback and Pugsley a little spot check and some chain lube. Then took each for short ride.
    That seemed to help...
    38° 54' -77° 15

aka: Bucky Fikes
    It's great to see that they almost installed the fork correctly.
    Always ride with a purpose.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Oofff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rocking on a Rocky
    I want a new Bronco but not that one.
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Looks like I won't need to wait for the 18 farley.....Thank You COSTCO!!!!
    2016 Remedy 9
    2016 Santa Cruz Stigmata CC
    2017 Santa Cruz V-10 C
    2017 Remedy 9.9 (Building!)

Rocking on a Rocky
    Quote Originally Posted by biscut View Post
    Looks like I won't need to wait for the 18 farley.....Thank You COSTCO!!!!
    No need to wait. Get a leftover.

https://www.canarycycles.ca/search?q=farley

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Something going on there with the bars or just some weird angle/optical illusion thing?

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayncedar View Post
    Something going on there with the bars or just some weird angle/optical illusion thing?
    the dude who builds grills put this thing together. doesn't know what it's supposed to look like or how it's supposed to work.

turtles make me hot
    I send my wife to Costco. I won't go there.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    the dude who builds grills put this thing together. doesn't know what it's supposed to look like or how it's supposed to work.
    Well, that's sad. I thought these guys just screwed up forks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Looks heavy too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I can understand them not knowing how to build it correctly, obviously they sell it with the intention the person purchasing it assembles it or takes it to a bike shop... but the "do not lay flat handle with care" print on the side of the box laid flat...

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Looks heavy too.
    I've hoisted lighter anvils.

mtbr member
    They assembled the tire to the rim in the correct direction, however by putting the fork on wrong the tread is now in the wrong direction. RH brake discs to boot

mtbr member
    If I only had $200.00, I would ride that bike. But I would definitely assemble it myself

I Got yer Activity Stream
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Yes, it's horrible. I tell my daughter "You ready? This sucks, but it's time to go into the belly of the beast."
    2016 Banshee Prime, 6-speed

Flying Sasquatch
    I didn't realize people expect to find high end bikes at Costco...?

FB&H rider
    Quote Originally Posted by iliketexmex View Post
    If I only had $200.00, I would ride that bike. But I would definitely assemble it myself
    I love Costco - damn I miss it over here in Germany.... I'm sure there are various reasons for disliking them, but they're no Walmart!

They do sometimes offer good quality stuff, so it actually wouldn't surprise me to see them selling a decent Trek or Giant some day.

But yes, heh, is funny to see the results of their grill-master assembly. And I agree, that for $200 it's a worthy entry. I know I know, the debate of 'we'll chase a way prospective riders with crappy bikes,' but I fall into the 'the person buying that bike is never going to have the scratch for the $2k bike anyway, let em ride a cheap/heavy fattie' camp.

Tschuss!
    'Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill'

2016 Trek Farley 5 "Farley"
    2017 Growler Mr Big Stuff "Sir Fatsalot"

I agree. Costco is the cat's ass. We do the bulk of our shopping there. Bikes, when they occasionally appear, are just impulse buy offerings at typically killer price points. The cool thing is you could go out and ride the bajeezuz out of that thing and say "f' it, I don't like this thing no more!" and take it back for a full refund. Then take your duckets outside to the food court and get yourself a YUUUGE slice of pepperoni pizza and a sodee pop for $2.16! What's not to like about that?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    $200 is pretty amazing. I assume it's just a hi tensile steel frame but am surprised it actually has gears. It would make a great commuter bike that no one would want to steal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    How about a vacation bike?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    The cool thing is you could go out and ride the bajeezuz out of that thing and say "f' it, I don't like this thing no more!" and take it back for a full refund. Then take your duckets outside to the food court and get yourself a YUUUGE slice of pepperoni pizza and a sodee pop for $2.16! What's not to like about that?
    So basically like REI with garbage food that will kill you for cheap.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Looks heavy too.
    How the heck can it look heavy?

Music & Bikes
    I remember when I was working in bike shops , people would come in and say:
    " I want to buy a really good bike , something really good , and I'm ready to go to ....... well ..... hmmmmm ........ 'till 400$ !!!!! "

And they were saying that in all seriousness.

People WILL buy those bike thinking they are good.....
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Fat bikes are mainstream now, you see them at Toys 'R Us, Target, Walmart, D1cks Sporting Goods and now Costco.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    "We highly recommend you have one of our team members assemble your bike, for safety reasons"

Do not lay flat

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vid1900 View Post
    Do not lay flat
    Why? I'm not the elephant man!

This place needs an enema
    The cool thing is you could go out and ride the bajeezuz out of that thing and say "f' it, I don't like this thing no more!" and take it back for a full refund. Then take your duckets outside to the food court and get yourself a YUUUGE slice of pepperoni pizza and a sodee pop for $2.16! What's not to like about that?

Yeah, cool -- disposable bikes funded by the shortsighted "f it" mentality that's making america great again.

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Hah !

I'll bet the Costco Co picnic has the guy cooking burgers on that bike and someone riding around on a grill.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Yeah, cool -- disposable bikes funded by the shortsighted "f it" mentality that's making america great again.
    Not everyone can afford to spend two-grand on a bike and by the way, there's a capital 'A' in America.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Not everyone can afford to spend two-grand on a bike and by the way, there's a capital 'A' in America.

Who said anyone had to spend $2k?

I bet, if someone were to be game for the experiment, the total $ spent (over a 2 year period of regular off-road riding) would be similar between a $700 bike bought from the LBS, and a $200 POS from CostCo/WalMart, etc... Pay now or pay later.

Thanks for the spelling lesson -- I was unaware...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyJo1 View Post
    No need to wait. Get a leftover.

https://www.canarycycles.ca/search?q=farley
    That's more than I paid for my 7 in October 2015
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

Rocking on a Rocky
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_G View Post
    That's more than I paid for my 7 in October 2015
    Did you calculate the exchange rate?

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Who said anyone had to spend $2k?

I bet, if someone were to be game for the experiment, the total $ spent (over a 2 year period of regular off-road riding) would be similar between a $700 bike bought from the LBS, and a $200 POS from CostCo/WalMart, etc... Pay now or pay later.

Thanks for the spelling lesson -- I was unaware...
    Damn bike snobs.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ETChipotle View Post
    How about a vacation bike?
    I'll stay home an ride my Mayor...
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Well, it looks like there's a lack of rim cutouts. It also looks like it's for sale cheap in a big-box store.

I'd stand by the old saying of "strong, light, cheap - pick two" and Costco is known for selling fairly decent quality so I'm picking strong and cheap on this one.

That leaves it at "steel is real" heavy

All fat, all the time.
    Costco is good for cheap dog beds. Not cheap fat bikes.

Rednose/Greenback
    I've had a Fatback almost six years and it's still going strong. No regrets for paying $$ at the time either because I've clearly gotten my money's worth and then some. I don't know how far the Costco bike would last before one has to start throwing money at it. I suspect buyers remorse could set in quickly.

I like Costco. As parents, my wife and I shop there on a regular basis and we save money doing so. Yet I was surprised to see a fatty there, even though they carry cheap bikes from time to time. Just thought the $200 price tag was noteworthy. This particular Costco is in Northern Virginia, not exactly a Mecca for fat bikes, although I see more and more out on the trails. I'll bet if they tried selling these down around Myrtle Beach or some other costal location, folks would buy them up.
    38° 54' -77° 15

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by apbtlvr View Post
    I've had a Fatback almost six years and it's still going strong. No regrets for paying $$ at the time either because I've clearly gotten my money's worth and then some. I don't know how far the Costco bike would last before one has to start throwing money at it. I suspect buyers remorse could set in quickly.

I like Costco. As parents, my wife and I shop there on a regular basis and we save money doing so. Yet I was surprised to see a fatty there, even though they carry cheap bikes from time to time. Just thought the $200 price tag was noteworthy. This particular Costco is in Northern Virginia, not exactly a Mecca for fat bikes, although I see more and more out on the trails. I'll bet if they tried selling these down around Myrtle Beach or some other costal location, folks would buy them up.
    My wife was at Costco just yesterday in Pennsylvania and commented she saw this bike there. She mentioned something along the lines of that she was glad she has the 9:zero:7 I bought used but nearly-new..

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    a bunch of stuck up bike people that is for sure. Think about it this way, it allows people to get into biking pretty cheap, and then upgrade.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by tim208 View Post
    a bunch of stuck up bike people that is for sure. Think about it this way, it allows people to get into biking pretty cheap, and then upgrade.
    I see your point, BUT...
    I can't afford to spend 200 dollars on a bike and then 1700 on another one. Also, the experience may be skewed on the 200 dollar bike and you'll be all damn, fat biking sucks.
    My son wanted a 9 zero 7. I built him one with Marge Lites and HuskerDus. He liked it but didn't love it. I then stuck a set of 29+ wheels on it and he's happy as a clam.
    I could turn around and sell off his other wheels.
    No one's gonna buy Costco bike wheels.
    Sort of a roundy round way to make a point but I've never believed in spending twice like that.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    ny

I understand your point. but what I am getting at, is: There are a large amount of people in the country, that do not ride bikes for recreation. they ride bikes for transportation. these people are broke and a cheap bike gives them independence to go to the store, get to work, ect. I think about my special needs janitor. I bought him a $80 bike and he rides it all over the place. He used to walk around town, now he rides around town. I look at this bike as a way to help people get some independence and the ability to have wheels, not to go recreate on.

turtles make me hot
    awesome point. I get it.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Not everyone can afford to spend two-grand on a bike...
    I just bought one for $196 after the Costco VISA 2% cash back. I've never tried this but I'll be riding it on the beach in Delaware a lot during the summer. I'm glad that I found this bike. Now I can see how badly, or not, it gets torn up by the sand/saltwater, and see if the ride is fun or a pain in the ass, then decide whether to spend $2500 on a "real" fat tire beach bike to use long term.

Reading reviews of basically the same bike at Walmart, I should repack and adjust all bearings (some are almost dry, some are way too tight). Possibly change the BB to a better, sealed, one. Maybe lower the gearing.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Mongoose-Dolomite-Men-s-7-speed-All-Terrain-Fat-Tire-Mountain-Bike-Navy-Blue-Red/29741123

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TriClydesdale View Post
    I just bought one for $196 after the Costco VISA 2% cash back. I've never tried this but I'll be riding it on the beach in Delaware a lot during the summer. I'm glad that I found this bike. Now I can see how badly, or not, it gets torn up by the sand/saltwater, and see if the ride is fun or a pain in the ass, then decide whether to spend $2500 on a "real" fat tire beach bike to use long term.

Reading reviews of basically the same bike at Walmart, I should repack and adjust all bearings (some are almost dry, some are way too tight). Possibly change the BB to a better, sealed, one. Maybe lower the gearing.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Mongoose-Dolomite-Men-s-7-speed-All-Terrain-Fat-Tire-Mountain-Bike-Navy-Blue-Red/29741123

You'll probably have a blast with it... on the idea of seeing "if the ride is fun or a pain in the ass" I'd recommend keeping an eye out for a deal on some 120 tpi tires, at least if you're going to be doing any pavement miles with it.
    I've got a fat tire cruiser that came with cheapo tires on it and the ride was really rough and the thing was always a workout to ride more than a few miles. I just recently threw some 120 tpi black floyds on it and it COMPLETELY changed the bike, it rides smoother and has way less rolling resistance... it's like a night and day difference... plus i dropped over 4 lbs off it just swapping the tires

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by tim208 View Post
    Yeah, it helps to ask or know what someone expects from a bike or how they are going to use it rather than shout from the tree-tops about what's best for everybody and anybody... even if well intentioned. (Maybe we can let them choose their favorite color though!)

I spotted another thread a few months ago that had a stream of postings about a $399 fat bike at amazon. Nobody tore them up about it that I know of and a few purchased the bike. I'm not sure what you get for $200 versus $400 but I have no doubt some will expect more from an inexpensive bike than they should and some will use it for snow an specific terrain where it may serve a very long and useful life. Most people I know of with a fat bike have it as an alternative to other bikes and I can understand a pretty strong market for them in a lower tier price range. If I had more visitors more often and not some extra bikes already, I'd be real temped to go get one or two of these at a sub $500 range. A fun easy to ride bike while visiting Colorado is just what my friends and family would appreciate.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr mumbler

It'll probably serve you well on the flat beaches. Swapping to lighter tires would probably be a good idea if you want to drop some weight and have better acceleration. Hope you enjoy it.
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams.

mtbr member

The bike you ride is the best one

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    awesome point. I get it.
    Was just checking in to see how devolved this conversation was getting, when I read the discussion between NY and Tim. Made me happy to see both posts.

mtbr member
    Surprised that you don't have to purchase 4 of these. Or is it the tires that you're buying in volume?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Personally I knew of fatbikes for years, but never thought to get one since I live in the city and have other bikes. It wasn't until I rode a cheapo rental at a beach that I realized why these exist. Now I never use my snobbish Brompton for post office runs because my entry level $450 fatbike is so much easier to ignore road conditions. This forum is mostly enthusiasts so it's easy to snicker at a bike that costs less than a component on some bikes, but I applaud Costco for selling junk that can get more people into fatbiking.
    Totem KDS-D fatbike, Brompton M2L-X Ti, 6kg Dahon Dove, 1998 GT Forte Ti road bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Exactly. I have a cheap Mongoose Dolomite because I saw one on Craigslist ridiculously inexpensive and thought it might be interesting to try...especially after I really enjoyed a demo on a Bucksaw. I know, two totally different bikes...but an inexpensive experiment.

Since owning it I've found that I enjoy riding it. Now I've purchased a carbon fat bike frame I intend to build up.

So when I see a cheap fat bike, I look at it as a gateway drug...
    New Low at Costco-20170414_181834.jpg

Rednose/Greenback
    Thanks for all the responses and varied points of view. It was enlightening and I appreciate that.
    38° 54' -77° 15

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    My local Costco has good bourbon and beer including hard to find stuff so I make sure I am the one who goes there

Quote Originally Posted by h2ovwdrvr View Post
    My local Costco has good bourbon and beer including hard to find stuff so I make sure I am the one who goes there
    It's also an excellent secret source for whole Prime Top-Sirloin, cap on beef. I buy a YUUUGE bag for $70 or so and butcher my own custom cut steaks.....3.79 a pound last time I snagged it a couple weeks back. That's the same price as their ground beef! The same beef, if they cut it, usually $7.99/lb

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    My wife sends me to Costco, she won't go there.

turtles make me hot
    So, Saturday, my wife tells me she found a new patio furniture set she wants at Costco. Empty out the Surburban and let's go get it.
    Man... I haven't been there in quite a few years. I couldn't believe how crowded it was.
    Thankfully, she called it in and everything was on a cart waiting for us to pay for it at customer service. I didn't get a chance to look at the bikes.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I saw this bike in person at the Palm Beach, FL Costco last week while on vacation.

I had a bit of a giggle and moved on to stocking up on food and dirt cheap liquor.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2015 RSD Mayor Bluto (sold)
    2014 Giant TCX SLR1
    2012 Giant TCR Advanced SL3

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

"...Gateway Drug..."

Quote Originally Posted by ttakata73 View Post
    So when I see a cheap fat bike, I look at it as a gateway drug...

"Hook Me Up, Dude...!!!".

[says the Full-blown Full-Suspension Trek Farley EX-8, Surly IceCreamTruck, On*One Fatty, Surly Pugsley, and 33 other lesser endowed mountain bikes owner...]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Low at Costco-screenshot_2017-04-05-20-11-53.jpg  

New Low at Costco-12983955_10154107210554555_7688439161536692141_o.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    I love Costco even before my wife started working there. Don't worry, she doesn't assemble bikes or grills there. They generally have good stuff there, especially the Kirkland Signature branded items. They're usually just as good if not better than the name brands. Even their gas is top tier and many of the branded gas can't even claim that. They can't hit it out of the park with every item they sell but they do cater to the masses and the masses can't or won't pay what we pay for our bikes because they probably can't, or don't want to, do what we do or where we ride on our bikes. To bash Costco is unfair. For every mountain biker bashing a $200 rig there could be an audiophile bashing the Sony stereo and a Michelin Star chef bashing a Cutco knife set just a few isles away. If that bike was at a LBS then bash away. Not everyone is looking to shred the trails so stop being snobs. We're better than that. Just be glad they're riding and strengthening the cycling community.
    2017 Diamondback Mason Pro
    2015 Motobecane Sturgis Bullet
    2015 Giant AnyRoad 1
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2

mtbr member
    I agree. Costco is the cat's ass. We do the bulk of our shopping there. Bikes, when they occasionally appear, are just impulse buy offerings at typically killer price points. The cool thing is you could go out and ride the bajeezuz out of that thing and say "f' it, I don't like this thing no more!" and take it back for a full refund. Then take your duckets outside to the food court and get yourself a YUUUGE slice of pepperoni pizza and a sodee pop for $2.16! What's not to like about that?
    I have a buddy that lives by the motto...."if Costco doesn't sell it, you don't need it".
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2014 Pivot Mach 6
    2011 Niner Air 9 (de facto road bike)

turtles make me hot
    I don't hate Costco. I just hate giant crowds of people... And crappy pizza.
    I like turtles

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Yay!! Bogart club!!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    It weighs as much as a Vespa. I picked it up last time I was in the store and almost lost my balance ...it was shockingly heavy. Although if I had a beach house.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    We go to Costco for the bags of organic frozen chicken, the 3 year Cabot cheddar, cashews, underwear, socks, stuff like that.

Bikes, not so much.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Love Costco and shop there weekly and I'm glad they exist. Now having said that, I feel bad for all the mom and pop stores that have closed their doors over the years because of big box stores of all types. If anyone has ever shopped at Walmart, or a huge nationwide chain car dealer, or ordered something on Amazon, or Performance bike, don't turn your nose up at Costco. It's the exact same thing. We're all looking to stretch our dollar and we all rationalize spending less on mail order knowing darn well what we're buying is sitting on a shelf in our town somewhere. Now having said all that, that bike is a pile of shit and whoever buys it deserves the dental bill their in line for if they try to ride that on an actual trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedaddict View Post
    Love Costco and shop there weekly and I'm glad they exist. Now having said that, I feel bad for all the mom and pop stores that have closed their doors over the years because of big box stores of all types. If anyone has ever shopped at Walmart, or a huge nationwide chain car dealer, or ordered something on Amazon, or Performance bike, don't turn your nose up at Costco. It's the exact same thing. We're all looking to stretch our dollar and we all rationalize spending less on mail order knowing darn well what we're buying is sitting on a shelf in our town somewhere. Now having said all that, that bike is a pile of shit and whoever buys it deserves the dental bill their in line for if they try to ride that on an actual trail.
    Agreed with everything you said. However, I will suggest that those who buy that fat bike (99%) won't be taking it out on actual trails.
    2015 Giant AnyRoad 1
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    We're all looking to stretch our dollar
    I actually have no problem shopping locally, won't drive way across town to save $0.03 a gallon on gas (that one just KILLS me, waste in hour of time and fuel, to save what, maybe 60 cents?) or ever darken the door of a big box store. My time is worth more than saving a few dollars is.

Your community needs the $ way more than some billionaire family from down south does.

Do I shop for "good deals" sometimes? Sure, on eBay, from sellers who are plainly individual people more interested in getting rid of something now, than in maximizing profitability.

Our county park system sucks to hell due to "cost cutting measures" ushered in some time after I'd graduated high school. They used to be a fantastic resource, clean, neat, well staffed, tons of folks using them etc. Now, gosh, we can afford to pay the county executive really handsomely, but the parks are awash with garbage, creepy dudes looking for "special friends" in the parking lots, and beaches so dirty and unstaffed, that kids can no longer run and play in the water.

Yay making your dollars stretch, it's made life so much better.....

Just remember, coffins don't come with pockets for all the cash you saved.

I long for the day the Walmart mindset of price being the only thing that matters, finally dies the death it so richly deserves.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Those giant tires

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Nobody is arguing about the merits of driving across town to save $.03 on gas, and I don't know anyone who does that and I agree it's beyond stupid. Nobody thinks price is the only thing that matters, but I think everyone agrees it plays a large role in our most of our purchasing decisions. You left out "GET OFF MY LAWN"!!

mtbr member
    So... you know there are grill enthusiast pages that post pictures of crappy grills at Costco and say, "I'm sure this was built by the same guy that builds bicycles there".

I don't have a problem with folks buying disposable stuff. I try not to though. My newest car is 22 years old. I've rarely gotten rid of a bicycle and when I have it's still worth selling. I doubt any hard goods from Costco will have a resale value in even a few years.

Totally on board with consumables, though. That's what warehouse stores are for IMO.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I agree with your point as far as the impact on "mom and pop" stores. But if you're going to shop a "big box" store (and not just based on price, but on selection/options...which 'mom and pop' can't come close to matching for obvious reasons), all "big boxes" are not equal. COSTCO has many policies that put it in a very different league than the other "boxes," which makes some of the anti-COSTCO venom of some of this thread even more perplexing. I only wish our smaller rural area had a COSTCO that could provide better job opportunities/benefits for folks around here compared to Wal-Mart...I'd gladly spend $$$ there

Definitely agree on the crowds though...partial solution: noise-canceling headphones go in before I leave the car...stream some Phutureprimitive...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    So, how do you like it?
    I am considering getting one myself. Have a couple of other bikes, so this would be strictly for the desert that is right out my back door! Live in New Mexico, and my yard backs up to a wide open area, too sandy for my mountain bike, but don't see myself spending too much time out there, so a $200 bike might be perfect

Let me know what you think.
    I picked up the demo bike at Costco, wasn't too heavy...and the fork was installed correctly at this store!

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I'm pro-Costco and drive to one either 20 miles south or 15 miles north of where I live even though a Super Walmart is within walking distance. They have quality stuff, decent prices, and seem to treat their employees well.

If anyone, including a mtb noob, is bound and determined to buy a fatbike as cheaply as possible from a big-box, then yeah, it's not a bad way to go.

That all said, I personally wouldn't buy something as important as a mountain bike there. I don't consider myself or anyone else with decades of riding experience who take fatbikes on actual trails (in my case full-time yearround) a "snob" for pointing out that these are heavy bikes with a lot of potential for mechanicals.

These guys have a right to know what they're potentially getting into if doing any more than riding around town with it. They need to know that they might be buying another bike sooner than they expected. If I were that guy, I would want to know this stuff before buying . . .

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I bet a lot of those $200 Costco fatbikes get taken to Burning Man.

mtbr member
    I went to Port Aransas Texas to visit my dad two years ago. I looked into shipping my kids bike and my bike down there. $200+ a piece roughly round trip. I looked into renting fat bikes. $200 or so for three days each. I looked for a cheap fat bike in stock at Walmart between the airport and Port Aransas and they didn't have one.

I would have bought two of those bikes in a heart beat for the four day vacation and sold them to someone for $100 a piece when I was done and been happy as a clam.

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Jeff G for the win!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017

$299 aluminum fat bike costco northrock xc00

Went to Costco a few days ago and ran into this fatbike: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet Emailed the company, confirmed it is an aluminum frame with these specs: xc00 northrock fat bike specs - Album on Imgur What do you think? Seems pretty incredible. But, this is my first fatbike purchase...

An aluminum frame fat bike at $299 -- seems pretty good. I have not put it together yet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtimo View Post
    Went to Costco a few days ago and ran into this fatbike: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet Emailed the company, confirmed it is an aluminum frame with these specs: xc00 northrock fat bike specs - Album on Imgur What do you think? Seems pretty incredible. But, this is my first fatbike purchase...

An aluminum frame fat bike at $299 -- seems pretty good. I have not put it together yet.
    Put it together and ride that thing! The best bike is the one you ride.

Just a flesh wound
    I love the sign on the box laying flat that says "Do not lay flat. Handle with care." Hahahaha!! I'd never lay my fat bike down. It would break for sure. But the right side disc, negative trail fork is special for sure. Tough to ride no hands, but for $199....
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Sum this thread up with:
    Guy goes to Big Box Store and see Big Box Store Products.
    Whines about it.

Riding rigid
    Mar 2007
    That Costco wouldn't happen to be in Fairfax? I saw one last week, same turned around front fork!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb411 View Post
    What does this bike weigh?
    It's just shy of 50 lbs. On the box it says the shipping weight is about 58 lbs. and the net weight is around 47 lbs.
    2015 Giant AnyRoad 1
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pharm View Post
    That Costco wouldn't happen to be in Fairfax? I saw one last week, same turned around front fork!
    I think it's like that everywhere. The one by my work has one with the fork on backwards. The one where my wife works has two on display. One had the fork on the right way and the other backwards.
    2015 Giant AnyRoad 1
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Sum this thread up with:
    Guy goes to Big Box Store and see Big Box Store Products.
    Whines about it.
    That's about right. Also the title of this thread "New Low at Costco" suggests that Costco is a low down rotten dirty store and this fat bike is a new low for them. People need to manage their expectations.
    2015 Giant AnyRoad 1
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    What does this bike weigh?
    weights 35 lbs with the pre-installed kick stand... that's the one I bought at costco. See post #78 -I put it together last night! Going to ride it to work... prepping for the office ridicule when I store it inside my office.

Rednose/Greenback
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pharm View Post
    Correct
    38° 54' -77° 15

mtbr member
    So it's either 47 or 35 lbs????
    Well, when I picked it up at Costco I didn't put it on a scale but my aluminum fat bike weighs 35 lbs. and that steel fat bike at Costco felt a lot heavier than mine. I'm just going by what was on the box.
    2015 Giant AnyRoad 1
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    47 lbs.?

Probably has its own gravitational pull.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Jenny Craig??
    Doctor recommended...

turtles make me hot
    That's lighter than the Mongoose Wal Mart was selling. We weighed one of those and it came in at 53 pounds.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    That's lighter than the Mongoose Wal Mart was selling. We weighed one of those and it came in at 53 pounds.
    You'd have a lot of money left over for upgrades and I bet you that you could get that thing down to 48 pounds(ish) pretty easy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyride1 View Post
    Well, when I picked it up at Costco I didn't put it on a scale but my aluminum fat bike weighs 35 lbs. and that steel fat bike at Costco felt a lot heavier than mine. I'm just going by what was on the box.
    I got the northrock xc00 aluminum frame fat bike at costco last week. That's the bike that weights 35 lbs. $299 + tax

turtles make me hot
    You'd have a lot of money left over for upgrades and I bet you that you could get that thing down to 48 pounds(ish) pretty easy.
    I bet I could get a 53 pound Dolomite down to 48 pounds by holesawing the rims and split tubing the tires.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I bet I could get a 53 pound Dolomite down to 48 pounds by holesawing the rims and split tubing the tires.
    53 lbs.

Can't get my mind around pedaling that anywhere. All I can think of are boat anchors, anvils, and safes for some reason.

mtbr member
    53 lbs.

Can't get my mind around pedaling that anywhere. All I can think of are boat anchors, anvils, and safes for some reason.
    Or bikepackers.
    2015 Giant AnyRoad 1
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtimo View Post
    I got the northrock xc00 aluminum frame fat bike at costco last week. That's the bike that weights 35 lbs. $299 + tax
    35 pounds is respectable. My Farley was 32ish stock?

I wouldn't own it because I'm particular and I'm sure it would make me angry within the the first block of riding it.

But, for MANY people it sounds like a reasonable purchase.

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    53 lbs.

A lot of parents buy their kids the heaviest bikes they can get.
    They think heavy = sturdy, and they don't really want their kids to ride very far (tire them out as quickly as possible).

53 lbs.

Not that I'm defending this bike in any way, but people can do a lot if they change their minds. We're conditioned by bike shops, magazines, blogs, etc... to think of weight as being mission critical, but it really isn't.

Some of the best, most memorable rides I've ever had have been on bikes weighing 75# or more. The single most memorable trip I'll ever do had my bike weighing 150# at the start.

turtles make me hot
    ^^That's COMPLETELY different.
    I like turtles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast