Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    The "in store" price is always cheaper than the website price, which includes shipping.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by lpranal View Post
    You're right. I actually measured them last night as I was measuring to make sure I can put these on in the summer. I think with the slim 29's this thing will actually be a great year-round commuter. I don't know why I thought they were 80mm, but I edited my post so as not to spread misinformation.

Out of curiosity, what's the widest tire you think would fit without clearance issues? I was looking at studded tires and most of them are >4"
    I can also confirm. I measured 57mm. Close enough to what DeeEight got.

If you stick with this rim, I think you could go with a much wider tire. I just swapped tires from a 80mm rim, and on that rim the tire was significantly wider, but slimmed to the width of the Kenda tire that comes on the XC00 when I installed it on the slimmer 57mm rim. Personally, I'd go with a wider rim first.

Since our rims are so narrow, I'm tempted to try some near fat tires even if it messes up the gearing compared to 29's. That's going to wait for next summer though since I have a three sets of tires to burn through.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight View Post
    Headtube is tapered zero stack ball bearings headset with a reducer race on the fork crown for the 1 1/8 straight steerer fork. You'd need a new fork crown race to fit a tapered steerer tube fat fork as well as a different front wheel (since the stock front dropout spacing is 121mm according to my digital caliper).
    Really good info that I should have read more carefully before. Got a new wheel that I'm trying to install, and I shouldn't have been surprised that it doesn't want to fit because you said the dropout is narrow. Okay, I have a new fork that I wanted to install anyway, but I can't install it yet because I need to order that 1.5 to 1-1/8 crown reducer race you mentioned since I can't take my old one off. I'm really hoping I can find that part in a local shop so I can finish and ride it this weekend.

uhhhhhyea
    Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    Really good info that I should have read more carefully before. Got a new wheel that I'm trying to install, and I shouldn't have been surprised that it doesn't want to fit because you said the dropout is narrow. Okay, I have a new fork that I wanted to install anyway, but I can't install it yet because I need to order that 1.5 to 1-1/8 crown reducer race you mentioned since I can't take my old one off. I'm really hoping I can find that part in a local shop so I can finish and ride it this weekend.
    best of luck to you, but after taking to two different bike shops and searching on my own I wasn't able to find anything to fit a tapered fork. The closest I was able to get was a Cane Creek 10 EC49/40... which ended up being too small. Problem is the weird size of the bottom of the headtube is closer to 50mm than 49mm, from what I can tell (and several posts to a couple different forums) nobody makes headsets that size and your only options would be either custom headset cup (Probably somewhat pricey) or reaming out the tube to 52mm.

If you do find something that works with tapered forks definitely let me know, as I still have an extra tapered fork just sitting around that would be a nice upgrade from the heavy cromoly one I'm using (Fatback)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The fork I was trying to install has a straight steerer. Went to the shop and they didn't have the part, and unfortunately couldn't remove the crown race either. The crown race appears to have a fillet where the bearings rest, but the crown reducers I'm finding online all have a chamfer. So what's next? Really wishing I had access to a cnc lathe right now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by lpranal View Post
    The closest I was able to get was a Cane Creek 10 EC49/40... which ended up being too small. Problem is the weird size of the bottom of the headtube is closer to 50mm than 49mm, from what I can tell (and several posts to a couple different forums) nobody makes headsets that size and your only options would be either custom headset cup (Probably somewhat pricey) or reaming out the tube to 52mm.
    I thought I read someone made a shim to make this or something similar fit?

uhhhhhyea
    I was able to remove the crown race (carefully) with a razor blade and a hammer, and install it onto my new fork with a pvc pipe and mallet. The shop should be able to remove it for you and transfer it to your new fork - that should be all you need to do since the stock fork is pretty standard apart from the hub widths. The only reason I was trying to replace the reducer was to try install a tapered fork.

(disclaimer, I have last year's 'model'... it doesn't appear they changed anything, but as always YMMV).

uhhhhhyea
    Quote Originally Posted by MozFat View Post
    I thought I read someone made a shim to make this or something similar fit?
    I made a shim out of a cookie tin, and that was enough to make it 'fit', but after reading about all the reasons why this might not be the best idea, I opted to just use a straight steerer fork (much easier and more reliable). If one were really motivated to go the tapered route, your best bet would probably be to ream the lower headtube out to 52mm so you can use a standard lower headset (probably external type)

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Look the frames/bikes are made by Giant, and as I already said they're essentially the same as what they sell under their Momentum brand. OBVIOUSLY Giant is not going to make a frame that takes a headset size that nobody else makes a headset for. If you want to know for sure what the exact headset dimensions are, you need only remove the bottom cup from the frame and measure the inside diameter of the headtube with a set of digital calipers. ANY competent bike shop should have the tool to pop out the headset cups. They're a zero stack / internal headset and Giant has been building frames with that style for about 18 years now. Worst case you need to order a new complete lower cup assembly to fit a tapered steerer fork and guess what, Cane creek (among others) sell just the lower cup/bearing/race assemblies that way. Cane Creek doesn't offer a ZS49 cup with 40 race but does offer the EC49 cup and 40 race. FSA on the other hand, does offer a ZS49/40 bottom headset called the Gravity 2, which is a ZS44/28.6 upper and ZS49/40 lower and in fact the lower bearing is a caged ball bearing while the upper is a cartridge bearing.

https://www.bike24.com/p231161.html
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

uhhhhhyea
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight View Post
    Look the frames/bikes are made by Giant, and as I already said they're essentially the same as what they sell under their Momentum brand. OBVIOUSLY Giant is not going to make a frame that takes a headset size that nobody else makes a headset for. If you want to know for sure what the exact headset dimensions are, you need only remove the bottom cup from the frame and measure the inside diameter of the headtube with a set of digital calipers. ANY competent bike shop should have the tool to pop out the headset cups. They're a zero stack / internal headset and Giant has been building frames with that style for about 18 years now. Worst case you need to order a new complete lower cup assembly to fit a tapered steerer fork and guess what, Cane creek (among others) sell just the lower cup/bearing/race assemblies that way. Cane Creek doesn't offer a ZS49 cup with 40 race but does offer the EC49 cup and 40 race. FSA on the other hand, does offer a ZS49/40 bottom headset called the Gravity 2, which is a ZS44/28.6 upper and ZS49/40 lower and in fact the lower bearing is a caged ball bearing while the upper is a cartridge bearing.

https://www.bike24.com/p231161.html
    The EC49 / 40 lower absolutely does not work, the diameter is too narrow and the cup won't stay inside the headtube. The inner diameter of the headtube bottom is 50mm: https://i.imgur.com/uddwRPd

The Zero Stack might work, but I haven't tried it. If someone wants to try it and post their results it would probably be helpful!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123