Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Not that I'm defending this bike in any way, but people can do a lot if they change their minds. We're conditioned by bike shops, magazines, blogs, etc... to think of weight as being mission critical, but it really isn't.

Some of the best, most memorable rides I've ever had have been on bikes weighing 75# or more. The single most memorable trip I'll ever do had my bike weighing 150# at the start.
    So you would ride the Iditarod on this Costco bike?

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    So you would ride the Iditarod on this Costco bike?

Not what I said. Quality is different from weight, I think even you can understand that on some level.

mtbr member
    Not that I'm defending this bike in any way, but people can do a lot if they change their minds. We're conditioned by bike shops, magazines, blogs, etc... to think of weight as being mission critical, but it really isn't.

Some of the best, most memorable rides I've ever had have been on bikes weighing 75# or more. The single most memorable trip I'll ever do had my bike weighing 150# at the start.
    ^^ This. To go in a slightly different direction, for some people who are just starting out, and for whom fitness may be, ahem, a challenge, their own weight will have a far larger impact than the bike's weight. The market for people buying Costco bikes is not *us*. It's people for whom a bike may never have before been a pathway to physical fitness (this may indeed be their first *ever* pathway to physical fitness). No one who buys a bike at Costco will likely go to a bike shop and drop anywhere north of $500 on anything. But if buying a Costco bike gets them to drop some weight, get more physically fit, and get them to love biking, then maybe they go from the Costco Pig to something better, and by doing so, everyone benefits. Can't see how that's a bad thing. As long as they put the forks on the right way.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by baltobrewer View Post
    ^^ This. To go in a slightly different direction, for some people who are just starting out, and for whom fitness may be, ahem, a challenge, their own weight will have a far larger impact than the bike's weight. The market for people buying Costco bikes is not *us*. It's people for whom a bike may never have before been a pathway to physical fitness (this may indeed be their first *ever* pathway to physical fitness). No one who buys a bike at Costco will likely go to a bike shop and drop anywhere north of $500 on anything. But if buying a Costco bike gets them to drop some weight, get more physically fit, and get them to love biking, then maybe they go from the Costco Pig to something better, and by doing so, everyone benefits. Can't see how that's a bad thing. As long as they put the forks on the right way.
    I think mine weighs in at 49Lbs, I've put a few hundred miles on it, trails only. The past 3 winters have been much more fun. Wanna see my 6pack?

Anything that gets people out and about is a plus. Without a full set of tools though these bikes can be a bit of a challenge.

New Low at Costco-unnamed-2-.jpg

I am however looking at that Framed Montana FS as a new summer bike, bit of a step in the lighter direction will be cool too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by baltobrewer View Post
    well said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2016

I don't doubt any of this as a clyde who's no weight weenie.

That said, weight can matter. I can't imagine hauling big box heavy metal through the rockgardens here in hilly PA. It would suck.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb411 View Post
    A whole calliphate of mtbr fanatics are going nuts right now because their precious "elite" "pro" 1X drivetrains are showing up on f$cking walmart and costco garbage $150 and $300 bikes LMFAO!!!!

Now the mtbr cult will go BACK to 2X and 3X!

A fad is a fad.
    Yeah I don't think that's what's happening here at all.

Elitest thrill junkie
    There's a difference between a heavy bike and a heavy bike that is a pile of junk (parts won't hold up or are of south lousy quality that one gets a bad taste from relatively little experience).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtimo View Post
    I got the northrock xc00 aluminum frame fat bike at costco last week. That's the bike that weights 35 lbs. $299 + tax
    I think my pugsley is up around 45#. Original DH large marge rims don't help I don't think...

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Right, so there are 2 bikes at Costco. The problem is, in store, they probably only have one or the other. Online they don't even list the steel frame. The "Bronco" which is steel frame, lower quality drivetrain, weighs a good 45+ lbs. It is $199.
    Then there is the Northrock xc00 aluminum frame, shimano altus drivetrain, velo saddle and grips, KMC chain, and tektro mechanical disc brakes. It is 35lbs, and either $299 in store or $369 online (shipping included). For the money, it isn't a bad setup. I picked up the Northrock for my middle schooler who wanted a fat bike and something better than his current crappy BMX he has had for years. I certainly wouldn't take it over my Mukluk, but consider the cost. And I certainly wasn't going to spend more than $500 for a bike for a middle schooler who is still growing. I don't think you can find a better fatbike for anywhere near the price of the Northrock, and for many people, it will be all they ever need.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beasley View Post
    Right, so there are 2 bikes at Costco. The problem is, in store, they probably only have one or the other. Online they don't even list the steel frame. The "Bronco" which is steel frame, lower quality drivetrain, weighs a good 45+ lbs. It is $199.
    Then there is the Northrock xc00 aluminum frame, shimano altus drivetrain, velo saddle and grips, KMC chain, and tektro mechanical disc brakes. It is 35lbs, and either $299 in store or $369 online (shipping included). For the money, it isn't a bad setup. I picked up the Northrock for my middle schooler who wanted a fat bike and something better than his current crappy BMX he has had for years. I certainly wouldn't take it over my Mukluk, but consider the cost. And I certainly wasn't going to spend more than $500 for a bike for a middle schooler who is still growing. I don't think you can find a better fatbike for anywhere near the price of the Northrock, and for many people, it will be all they ever need.
    Stop being factual and logical on the internet. It's not allowed.
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    The problem I see with this bike (really all department store bikes) is that they are not targeted at people like anyone on this forum. They go to people who have no idea that the bike is cheap or that it was assembled by someone who assembles grills for minimum wage. The danger is when you take your sweet new Costco bike with the fork on backwards and that has never seen a torque wrench and rip it down the cool trail you found on trail forks. Who knows, the bike could hold up just fine but there's a reason most department store bikes in Canada come with a sticker saying "not for off-road use"

mtbr member
    My assumption is that this bike is not sold assembled and has copious disclaimers that suggest you pay a professional $200 to assemble your $300 bike or you will likely die and we are not even remotely responsible if that happens.
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter-01 View Post
    The problem I see with this bike (really all department store bikes) is that they are not targeted at people like anyone on this forum. They go to people who have no idea that the bike is cheap or that it was assembled by someone who assembles grills for minimum wage. The danger is when you take your sweet new Costco bike with the fork on backwards and that has never seen a torque wrench and rip it down the cool trail you found on trail forks. Who knows, the bike could hold up just fine but there's a reason most department store bikes in Canada come with a sticker saying "not for off-road use"
    As far as I know, Costco doesn't even offer an assembly service for the bike. They didn't offer me one. You can either do it yourself, or if you are not inclined, a bike shop will do it for $75 (no hydraulics, pretty straight forward build). I don't see how the Northrock is any different from buying something from bikes direct. The spec is a bit lower than what they sell, but so is the price. As long as you know what you are getting.
    Honestly, I expect the bike would hold up just fine for the trail use a novice might be willing to take it on. It's pretty simple components. 1x7 and rigid with mechanical disk brakes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Northrock Bike is sold mostly assembled. I assembled it last week:
    All of the brake/shifter cables were already good to go, all you have to do is:
    Put on quick release front wheel
    Handlebars
    Reflectors
    Pedals

Rednose/Greenback
    When I walked into that Costco, it was the tire sticking out that caught my eye. The sheer surprise at seeing an actual fat bike there, for $200 no less, is why I posted. But maybe the title suggested snobbery on my part that I didn't intend. Just wanted to share my surprise.

It is this forum I'd credit with getting me into fat bikes. I lurked for a few years but in 2011, pulled the trigger on a Fatback. To some extent, it was because none of my LBS's were interested in building a Pugsley. I was and remain a clydesdale (265) and a robust wheelset was at the foundation of what I needed. That particular advice came from this forum. It holds true. I also knew that was going to cost some $$. Conversations with folks at Speedway mentioned plenty of big AK guys riding UMA wheels without any issues and I pulled the trigger. Peter Basinger actually built that bike and shipped to me. And it remains a superb build to this day. Did I get my $$ worth? Hell yes. Did the market for fats explode since then? Hell yes. No regrets however.

But I still wanted a pugs. When a nice green single speed showed up in cl last summer, I checked it out just to ride but and loved it from the get go. The medium frame fit me great and I thought the spousal unit might like it too - justification for a 2nd fat. 100 miles convinced me single speed was too much on aging knees however, so I got an Alfine 8. I love this setup now and and ride it the most. My wife likes it too, so both bikes get ridden.

The person buying that $200 bronco may not read this forum or much care to for that matter. It would be a cheap ride for beach week vacations or for a kid's first fat bike. But if they stay interested in the bikes, they would do well to visit here for the wealth of information and experience that resides. Especially with regards to upgrades...
    38° 54' -77° 15

mtbr member
    In for long-term reviews.
    Formerly Icantdrive65

uhhhhhyea
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMachinist View Post
    In for long-term reviews.
    I bought this thing after looking it over thoroughly in Costco (probably no other store I'd feel comfortable taking everything apart like I did!). Just some perspective as to where I'm coming from, I rode a walgoose as my 'winter beater' commuter for 2 years and was fine with that for what it was after a set of $40 used panaracer fat-b-nimbles and some DH tubes, which shaved a couple pounds off the weight.

The northrock is a different beast. Pretty much everything is a substantial upgrade from my old hitch. Aluminum frame. Sealed bottom bracket. Everything was greased, and all bolts were tightened properly. Brakes are crisp and surprisingly, dialed in from the factory. Not as good as the bb7's on my main rig but there was a decent amount of stopping power (enough to lock up both wheels from a decent roll) Metal brake levers (yay, no more plastic!). No more grip shifters, and shifting was actually perfectly dialed in out of the box, which was also pretty surprising. Much better packaging (there was even a plastic 'spacer' in the fork- didn't have to bend it back into shape like I did with the hitch)

The 7 speed freewheel is probably the biggest downfall of this bike, although for $300 I don't see how you can exepect anything other than the most basic wheelset. If they last through a winter of commuting, I'll be happy.

I didn't expect to, but I'm actually considering trying some decent wheels on this thing and trying out some trails. I really only wanted something that was a little bit better on the 2 miles of snowy trail back and forth to work. Anything beyond that is a bonus, but in my short time with it so far it's surprisingly well built.

mtbr member
    Looks like a nice bike for the price. I've had and sold a dolomite and a vinson. Wish I had the vinson back. I got it for around$400 if I remember for black friday. I think it blows away any fattie under $600 personally. This northrock looks promising though. Wish I had a bigger garage
    2016 Moto Fantom

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by lpranal View Post
    I bought this thing after looking it over thoroughly in Costco (probably no other store I'd feel comfortable taking everything apart like I did!). Just some perspective as to where I'm coming from, I rode a walgoose as my 'winter beater' commuter for 2 years and was fine with that for what it was after a set of $40 used panaracer fat-b-nimbles and some DH tubes, which shaved a couple pounds off the weight.

The northrock is a different beast. Pretty much everything is a substantial upgrade from my old hitch. Aluminum frame. Sealed bottom bracket. Everything was greased, and all bolts were tightened properly. Brakes are crisp and surprisingly, dialed in from the factory. Not as good as the bb7's on my main rig but there was a decent amount of stopping power (enough to lock up both wheels from a decent roll) Metal brake levers (yay, no more plastic!). No more grip shifters, and shifting was actually perfectly dialed in out of the box, which was also pretty surprising. Much better packaging (there was even a plastic 'spacer' in the fork- didn't have to bend it back into shape like I did with the hitch)

The 7 speed freewheel is probably the biggest downfall of this bike, although for $300 I don't see how you can exepect anything other than the most basic wheelset. If they last through a winter of commuting, I'll be happy.

I didn't expect to, but I'm actually considering trying some decent wheels on this thing and trying out some trails. I really only wanted something that was a little bit better on the 2 miles of snowy trail back and forth to work. Anything beyond that is a bonus, but in my short time with it so far it's surprisingly well built.
    Thanks for the review, I'm thinking of buying this one too -- unfortunately I'd have to pay the higher online price since none of the local Costcos carry it for me.

I have a Northrock XC6 for around 5 years and it held up fine for me. All I replaced was a seat, but that was right off the bat.

I wonder if a more expensive Fatty might make more sense...

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfstemp View Post
    I wonder if a more expensive Fatty might make more sense...
    I've ridden other guys' lower-end-but-not-quite-big-box fatbikes and I've later bought a couple more expensive ones (Specialized Fatboy Pro Trail and a 9:zero:7 Whiteout) of my own. I ride only fatbikes yearround for 25-40 miles at a shot on different terrain. There IS a difference and to me it's worth the extra $.

As I said before, I like Costco and its quality and this bike is probably a great value for light or occasional use. I'm not sure how it would hold up to serious long-term riding.

mtbr member

Thanks for that. I'm really close to buying one, just for a fun bike.
    Formerly Icantdrive65

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    BTW, since I know nothing about upgrades... can freewheels be readily upgraded or does it depend on the bike? I heard 1x11 for ideal for fat bikes in terms of range.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    What most of you that are bashing this bike don't realize is that Costco has the best refund warranty. You could literally destroy this bike over the course of several years and return it for an exchange or your full money back.

Cycologist
    I was in Costco yesterday and they were priced at $150. That starts to be really tempting but I really don't need one and already have nine bikes in the basement. I'm surprised I haven't seen any on my local trails.
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by spf808 View Post
    What most of you that are bashing this bike don't realize is that Costco has the best refund warranty. You could literally destroy this bike over the course of several years and return it for an exchange or your full money back.
    It's not the bike I'm worried about breaking. It's cheap enough not to cry over, broken bones on the other hand....

mtbr member
    I challenge anyone to break the steel frame on that Bronco bike. I bet you can't even if you tried.
    2017 Diamondback Mason Pro
    2015 Motobecane Sturgis Bullet
    2015 Giant AnyRoad 1
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by spf808 View Post
    Anyone who buys it with that in mind is a jerk. Can't stand people who do that stuff.

We had a college professor here in town who taught business, yes business. He'd buy something from the local Trek store and return it months later for a full refund. Did it many times, used it up, then returned it, and this guy taught business at a college. How out of touch do you have to be to think that's OK?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedaddict View Post
    Anyone who buys it with that in mind is a jerk. Can't stand people who do that stuff.

We had a college professor here in town who taught business, yes business. He'd buy something from the local Trek store and return it months later for a full refund. Did it many times, used it up, then returned it, and this guy taught business at a college. How out of touch do you have to be to think that's OK?
    I agree 100%.
    2017 Diamondback Mason Pro
    2015 Motobecane Sturgis Bullet
    2015 Giant AnyRoad 1
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedaddict View Post

Agreed, that's just passing the cost to all the other consumers in the form of higher prices to cover jerks that do that.
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    agreed, that's just passing the cost to all the other consumers in the form of higher prices to cover jerks that do that.
    exactly!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12