Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Personally I knew of fatbikes for years, but never thought to get one since I live in the city and have other bikes. It wasn't until I rode a cheapo rental at a beach that I realized why these exist. Now I never use my snobbish Brompton for post office runs because my entry level $450 fatbike is so much easier to ignore road conditions. This forum is mostly enthusiasts so it's easy to snicker at a bike that costs less than a component on some bikes, but I applaud Costco for selling junk that can get more people into fatbiking.
    Totem KDS-D fatbike, Brompton M2L-X Ti, 6kg Dahon Dove, 1998 GT Forte Ti road bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Exactly. I have a cheap Mongoose Dolomite because I saw one on Craigslist ridiculously inexpensive and thought it might be interesting to try...especially after I really enjoyed a demo on a Bucksaw. I know, two totally different bikes...but an inexpensive experiment.

Since owning it I've found that I enjoy riding it. Now I've purchased a carbon fat bike frame I intend to build up.

So when I see a cheap fat bike, I look at it as a gateway drug...
    New Low at Costco-20170414_181834.jpg

Rednose/Greenback
    Thanks for all the responses and varied points of view. It was enlightening and I appreciate that.
    38° 54' -77° 15

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    My local Costco has good bourbon and beer including hard to find stuff so I make sure I am the one who goes there
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I send my wife to Costco. I won't go there.

aka: Bucky Fikes
    Quote Originally Posted by h2ovwdrvr View Post
    My local Costco has good bourbon and beer including hard to find stuff so I make sure I am the one who goes there
    It's also an excellent secret source for whole Prime Top-Sirloin, cap on beef. I buy a YUUUGE bag for $70 or so and butcher my own custom cut steaks.....3.79 a pound last time I snagged it a couple weeks back. That's the same price as their ground beef! The same beef, if they cut it, usually $7.99/lb
    Always ride with a purpose.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I send my wife to Costco. I won't go there.
    My wife sends me to Costco, she won't go there.

turtles make me hot
    So, Saturday, my wife tells me she found a new patio furniture set she wants at Costco. Empty out the Surburban and let's go get it.
    Man... I haven't been there in quite a few years. I couldn't believe how crowded it was.
    Thankfully, she called it in and everything was on a cart waiting for us to pay for it at customer service. I didn't get a chance to look at the bikes.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I saw this bike in person at the Palm Beach, FL Costco last week while on vacation.

I had a bit of a giggle and moved on to stocking up on food and dirt cheap liquor.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2015 RSD Mayor Bluto (sold)
    2014 Giant TCX SLR1
    2012 Giant TCR Advanced SL3

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

"...Gateway Drug..."

Quote Originally Posted by ttakata73 View Post
    So when I see a cheap fat bike, I look at it as a gateway drug...

"Hook Me Up, Dude...!!!".

[says the Full-blown Full-Suspension Trek Farley EX-8, Surly IceCreamTruck, On*One Fatty, Surly Pugsley, and 33 other lesser endowed mountain bikes owner...]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Low at Costco-screenshot_2017-04-05-20-11-53.jpg  

New Low at Costco-12983955_10154107210554555_7688439161536692141_o.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    I love Costco even before my wife started working there. Don't worry, she doesn't assemble bikes or grills there. They generally have good stuff there, especially the Kirkland Signature branded items. They're usually just as good if not better than the name brands. Even their gas is top tier and many of the branded gas can't even claim that. They can't hit it out of the park with every item they sell but they do cater to the masses and the masses can't or won't pay what we pay for our bikes because they probably can't, or don't want to, do what we do or where we ride on our bikes. To bash Costco is unfair. For every mountain biker bashing a $200 rig there could be an audiophile bashing the Sony stereo and a Michelin Star chef bashing a Cutco knife set just a few isles away. If that bike was at a LBS then bash away. Not everyone is looking to shred the trails so stop being snobs. We're better than that. Just be glad they're riding and strengthening the cycling community.
    2017 Diamondback Mason Pro
    2015 Motobecane Sturgis Bullet
    2015 Giant AnyRoad 1
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    I agree. Costco is the cat's ass. We do the bulk of our shopping there. Bikes, when they occasionally appear, are just impulse buy offerings at typically killer price points. The cool thing is you could go out and ride the bajeezuz out of that thing and say "f' it, I don't like this thing no more!" and take it back for a full refund. Then take your duckets outside to the food court and get yourself a YUUUGE slice of pepperoni pizza and a sodee pop for $2.16! What's not to like about that?
    I have a buddy that lives by the motto...."if Costco doesn't sell it, you don't need it".
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2014 Pivot Mach 6
    2011 Niner Air 9 (de facto road bike)

turtles make me hot
    I don't hate Costco. I just hate giant crowds of people... And crappy pizza.
    I like turtles

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Yay!! Bogart club!!
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    It weighs as much as a Vespa. I picked it up last time I was in the store and almost lost my balance ...it was shockingly heavy. Although if I had a beach house.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    We go to Costco for the bags of organic frozen chicken, the 3 year Cabot cheddar, cashews, underwear, socks, stuff like that.

Bikes, not so much.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Love Costco and shop there weekly and I'm glad they exist. Now having said that, I feel bad for all the mom and pop stores that have closed their doors over the years because of big box stores of all types. If anyone has ever shopped at Walmart, or a huge nationwide chain car dealer, or ordered something on Amazon, or Performance bike, don't turn your nose up at Costco. It's the exact same thing. We're all looking to stretch our dollar and we all rationalize spending less on mail order knowing darn well what we're buying is sitting on a shelf in our town somewhere. Now having said all that, that bike is a pile of shit and whoever buys it deserves the dental bill their in line for if they try to ride that on an actual trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedaddict View Post
    Love Costco and shop there weekly and I'm glad they exist. Now having said that, I feel bad for all the mom and pop stores that have closed their doors over the years because of big box stores of all types. If anyone has ever shopped at Walmart, or a huge nationwide chain car dealer, or ordered something on Amazon, or Performance bike, don't turn your nose up at Costco. It's the exact same thing. We're all looking to stretch our dollar and we all rationalize spending less on mail order knowing darn well what we're buying is sitting on a shelf in our town somewhere. Now having said all that, that bike is a pile of shit and whoever buys it deserves the dental bill their in line for if they try to ride that on an actual trail.
    Agreed with everything you said. However, I will suggest that those who buy that fat bike (99%) won't be taking it out on actual trails.
    2017 Diamondback Mason Pro
    2015 Motobecane Sturgis Bullet
    2015 Giant AnyRoad 1
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    We're all looking to stretch our dollar
    I actually have no problem shopping locally, won't drive way across town to save $0.03 a gallon on gas (that one just KILLS me, waste in hour of time and fuel, to save what, maybe 60 cents?) or ever darken the door of a big box store. My time is worth more than saving a few dollars is.

Your community needs the $ way more than some billionaire family from down south does.

Do I shop for "good deals" sometimes? Sure, on eBay, from sellers who are plainly individual people more interested in getting rid of something now, than in maximizing profitability.

Our county park system sucks to hell due to "cost cutting measures" ushered in some time after I'd graduated high school. They used to be a fantastic resource, clean, neat, well staffed, tons of folks using them etc. Now, gosh, we can afford to pay the county executive really handsomely, but the parks are awash with garbage, creepy dudes looking for "special friends" in the parking lots, and beaches so dirty and unstaffed, that kids can no longer run and play in the water.

Yay making your dollars stretch, it's made life so much better.....

Just remember, coffins don't come with pockets for all the cash you saved.

I long for the day the Walmart mindset of price being the only thing that matters, finally dies the death it so richly deserves.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    How the heck can it look heavy?
    Those giant tires

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Nobody is arguing about the merits of driving across town to save $.03 on gas, and I don't know anyone who does that and I agree it's beyond stupid. Nobody thinks price is the only thing that matters, but I think everyone agrees it plays a large role in our most of our purchasing decisions. You left out "GET OFF MY LAWN"!!

mtbr member
    So... you know there are grill enthusiast pages that post pictures of crappy grills at Costco and say, "I'm sure this was built by the same guy that builds bicycles there".

I don't have a problem with folks buying disposable stuff. I try not to though. My newest car is 22 years old. I've rarely gotten rid of a bicycle and when I have it's still worth selling. I doubt any hard goods from Costco will have a resale value in even a few years.

Totally on board with consumables, though. That's what warehouse stores are for IMO.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I agree with your point as far as the impact on "mom and pop" stores. But if you're going to shop a "big box" store (and not just based on price, but on selection/options...which 'mom and pop' can't come close to matching for obvious reasons), all "big boxes" are not equal. COSTCO has many policies that put it in a very different league than the other "boxes," which makes some of the anti-COSTCO venom of some of this thread even more perplexing. I only wish our smaller rural area had a COSTCO that could provide better job opportunities/benefits for folks around here compared to Wal-Mart...I'd gladly spend $$$ there

Definitely agree on the crowds though...partial solution: noise-canceling headphones go in before I leave the car...stream some Phutureprimitive...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    So, how do you like it?
    I am considering getting one myself. Have a couple of other bikes, so this would be strictly for the desert that is right out my back door! Live in New Mexico, and my yard backs up to a wide open area, too sandy for my mountain bike, but don't see myself spending too much time out there, so a $200 bike might be perfect

Let me know what you think.
    I picked up the demo bike at Costco, wasn't too heavy...and the fork was installed correctly at this store!

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I'm pro-Costco and drive to one either 20 miles south or 15 miles north of where I live even though a Super Walmart is within walking distance. They have quality stuff, decent prices, and seem to treat their employees well.

If anyone, including a mtb noob, is bound and determined to buy a fatbike as cheaply as possible from a big-box, then yeah, it's not a bad way to go.

That all said, I personally wouldn't buy something as important as a mountain bike there. I don't consider myself or anyone else with decades of riding experience who take fatbikes on actual trails (in my case full-time yearround) a "snob" for pointing out that these are heavy bikes with a lot of potential for mechanicals.

These guys have a right to know what they're potentially getting into if doing any more than riding around town with it. They need to know that they might be buying another bike sooner than they expected. If I were that guy, I would want to know this stuff before buying . . .

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I bet a lot of those $200 Costco fatbikes get taken to Burning Man.

mtbr member
    I went to Port Aransas Texas to visit my dad two years ago. I looked into shipping my kids bike and my bike down there. $200+ a piece roughly round trip. I looked into renting fat bikes. $200 or so for three days each. I looked for a cheap fat bike in stock at Walmart between the airport and Port Aransas and they didn't have one.

I would have bought two of those bikes in a heart beat for the four day vacation and sold them to someone for $100 a piece when I was done and been happy as a clam.
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Jeff G for the win!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12