Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member

New geese on the way...

Out riding yesterday, ran into someone on a mongoose prototype. Looks to be a serious competitor to the mukluk, he said priced around $1000... looked like a nice bike, rolling on 100mm rims, 190 back end. SLX. Sounds like it'll be released sometime around summer.

Also, there's a new wall-goose coming. Also 190, discs. "decent geometry" was also mentioned. apparently very soon, like within the next couple weeks.

So there's that.

mtbr member

Re: New geese on the way...

190 rear, hundies, and slx- all for ~1k??? Believe it when I see it.

I'm betting the spec sheet takes a hit or the price is higher. Notice what tyres?

mtbr member
    Rims were the same ones on the wall-goose- said the guy "they're strong, their reasonably light" - tires were tires. Might have been the same ones from the wallgoose. didn't check. Overall weight wasn't bad. Not light, not heavy. reasonable.

No reason for 190 to be more expensive than 170 when you're a division of Pacific (the largest bike shaped object seller in the world) and you can get (generic taiwanese hub-maker) to run you a couple thousand cheap.

I have no doubt it'll be pretty close to what I saw and at a price that's pretty close. Also don't doubt that there will be compromises that keep it at that price point, like tires, etc. This was a pretty polished prototype.That said, it looked pretty decent.

Good... this whole fat bike thing was getting stale anyway. I'm glad anyone and everyone has now jumped on board to saturate the market with their fat bike copy. Now the companies that do the actual real innovation can start to come up with the "next big thing".
    ...Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back...

mtbr member

Not to nitpick, but I'd see it as more of an on-one competitor than a muk competitor. For us on the west side of the pond anyway, both are likely direct order vs muk being a shop brand. I haven't priced a muk, but the price/value(speculated) seems to undershoot the muk by a margin.

Re: tires were tires. It's a more important spec than rear mech. One can upgrade most parts of a fatbike, including a rigid fork, for less than a pair of tires. I know you know that, BTW, I'm just saying that any bike with vee whatever tires gets an automatic +150 added to the price in my book.

mtbr member
    Yup, tires are important, but hey, you can't get everything and keep the price low.

I'm just happy to see more companies getting in on it.

I don't know what kind of innovation there is to do with fatbikes, I mean, they're a pretty simple concept- take a rigid bike, add really big tires, go... So I'm happy to see ne companies get involved and find ways to make them cheaper.

I'm sure that folks who bought mountain bikes pre stumpjumper said the same kind of things, that all these new guys are just jumping on the bandwagon and that no one is gonna innovate ever again, and that kinda turned out wrong. so I'm not too worried.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I heard (from as reliable a source as you can get) that there are performance inspired fat bikes starting to arrive here in the States any time now at a landed price of just a hair over $400. It looks like they will be retailing for right about $1k so your meeting pretty much corroborates the story. I have some feelers out but I think I know where the frames come from which gives me a pretty good idea what the spec likely is too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'm skeptical of the so-called bargain fatbikes, and their impact on the market. I built up a new Pugs 3 years ago with no throwaway parts for around $1600. The friggin' Nashbar fatbike is now listed at $2000! The majority of the new tires introduced during that time appear to be underwhelming at best, and I don't see much happening in the low-to-id range of fat rims, either. In some ways, the price of a viable fatbike seems to have crept up a bit. I think the entry level Pugs is now around $1700 vs $1300 a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    The friggin' Nashbar fatbike is now listed at $2000! The majority of the new tires introduced during that time appear to be underwhelming at best, and I don't see much happening in the low-to-id range of fat rims, either. In some ways, the price of a viable fatbike seems to have crept up a bit. I think the entry level Pugs is now around $1700 vs $1300 a few years ago.
    I think you mean $1,000 for the Nashbar? I dunno... I'm in the same boat with paying just a little bit extra. I was to my local Scheels Sports store the other day and they had Mukluks at $1499 for the entry model... in a really awesome black that made me think it was the carbon beargrease out of the corner of my eye. The complete bike is listed on Salsa's website at $1850 msrp... so shop around and you can get $350 off for a well-spec'd and proven bike... with Nate tires.

Loser
    The Nashbar bike did go up in price to $2,000, but I suspect that's just so they can say its 50% off in their next sale. There's no way they are going to actually sell that bike for more than a Pugs, not going to happen (and I think they know that).

As an owner of a cheap fat bike, I can tell you I am 100% satisfied, yep I pumped another $300 or so into it, but I have a fat bike that is about the right weight and works great for around $1,200. I looked at the spec on the Pugs before I bought this bike and I just don't see anything more in that bike than I got in mine.

I was at EMS this weekend, they had a Kona Wo on the floor for $1699 marked down to $1399 - the build on that bike was no better than the build on mine when I bought it for $899 (I don't like the look of the Wo, but that's just personal preference).

?

New geese on the way...-screen-shot-2014-02-03-1.54.32-pm.png

Loser
    It was $2k yesterday.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    I think you mean $1,000 for the Nashbar?
    Yeah, something funny's going on with the Nashbar pricing. I saw an online ad on another site showing the price at $1999, but today on Nashbar's site it's at $999. It says "Compare at $1999."

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    It was $2k yesterday.
    Thanks for verifying I wasn't the only one who saw that!
    Not the first time, either: Nashbar Fat Bike, who else pulled the trigger?

See post #43.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    I'm skeptical of the so-called bargain fatbikes, and their impact on the market. I built up a new Pugs 3 years ago with no throwaway parts for around $1600. The friggin' Nashbar fatbike is now listed at $2000! The majority of the new tires introduced during that time appear to be underwhelming at best, and I don't see much happening in the low-to-id range of fat rims, either. In some ways, the price of a viable fatbike seems to have crept up a bit. I think the entry level Pugs is now around $1700 vs $1300 a few years ago.
    Perhaps these cheap fat bikes won't drive Surly/Salsa prices down, but there are going to be thousands of folks riding fat bikes who might not otherwise. The avalanche is just getting started. Shy the bad rubber, these new cheap options are very much in line with what Salsa and Surly have been putting out on the low end models. Most these bargain bikes are just hitting the market. My guess is that Surly/Salsa/Specialized will try to own the $2000 fat bike in the next year or two. This means the specs on bikes in those ranges will be getting better.

So I guess I'm saying that the "so-called" bargain bikes are going to have a huge impact on the market. They already are. It's winter, and there's discounted Salsa and Surly fat bikes on the show room floor. Course, Surly/QPB are going to be selling a lot more tires than before to all the bargain upgraders.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    It's winter, and there's discounted Salsa and Surly fat bikes on the show room floor. Course, Surly/QPB are going to be selling a lot more tires than before to all the bargain upgraders.
    True! LBS had a 20% off all fatbikes sale last week, including carbon Beargreases. A few people I know were twitching, trying to hang on to their credit cards.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    So now Cannondale's parent company has Charge and Mongoose doing fat bikes, and Mongoose doing a rework from the sounds of it, to make it somewhat legit.

How much longer you gonna be wit dat Fat Lefty Cannondale???

This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Nice meeting you Buckfidious, nice to know you're local. Nice looking Salsa you had too We're lucky to live in an area where the trails are so close and well tracked. I make it out daily at lunch.
    We have a couple IBD versions we're working on.

Here are the mass bikes that will be coming out shortly.1x7 freewheel, disc brakes, 190 rear, 100 bb and the geo is the simular to what we see on on most ibd fat bikes, betweeen a medium and large size. This particular sample has alot of riding time under it's belt and feels great. retail should be under $300 and available in a couple weeks.

Also a nice little 20"
    Mongoose product development

mtbr member
    subscribed...

Got any closer shots you can share? What is the approximate weight?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skota23 View Post
    Nice meeting you Buckfidious, nice to know you're local. Nice looking Salsa you had too We're lucky to live in an area where the trails are so close and well tracked. I make it out daily at lunch.

Here are the mass bikes that will be coming out shortly.1x7 freewheel, disc brakes, 190 rear, 100 bb and the geo is the simular to what we see on on most ibd fat bikes, betweeen a medium and large size. This particular sample has alot of riding time under it's belt and feels great. retail should be under $300 and available in a couple weeks.

Also a nice little 20"
    Awesome! Felt a little guilty posting anything, didn't want to get anyone in trouble.

That 20 looks amazing... I think my daughter may need a fatbike...

mtbr member
    If that 20" fits my son....he'd be the happiest kid alive...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Wow! For that price, I can see lots of people here (Canada) riding those in the winter.

bhc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I am assuming from what skota23 wrote, "and the geo is the simular to what we see on on most ibd fat bikes, betweeen a medium and large size" means there will be only one size available.

Wow. So I'm guessing they will still come with really low-end boat anchor tires but bigger? Looks like you are running Bud & Lou on this one? Still... holy crap for that price. Throw Bud/Lou on, Carver fork, and you are still at $900 total upgraded.

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    This is GREAT news Skota23! These new bikes will be HUGE hits at that pricepoint, perfect timing. I'm turning into a big Mongoose fan.... not everyone want's or needs a high end bike. With the new Mongoose, I can now get friends and family into fatbiking super cheap. Where will be the beast place to buy them, Walmart?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    ha, great to hear. I believe they will be at Walmart first, but there are other retailers who are taking them as well.

Fat bike for the People

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    My Dad wants a fatbike and I was very close to getting another original Beast, but couldn't bring myself to go through the fabricating process again of turning it into a rideable, geared, and disc braked fatbike. The new bikes solve this! My main issues with the original Beast, besides lack of gears and good brakes, is the BB is too far forward causing lessened rear wheel traction, as well as toe overlap with the front tire hitting the feet.
    Not a fault of Mongoose because they never intended it to be anything more than a cruiser.
    The one size fits all is not a problem in my eyes. I'm 6'4" and the frame fits me just fine with a longer seat post. I'm of the opinion a more comfortable upright riding position is better on a fatbike, which is what most people buying a low budget bike will prefer anyway. It's mostly the racer go fast types that like to be stretched out and bent over with a longer frame, and they will be riding higher end bikes anyway. Nothing against that kind of riding, I like my go fast bikes too, but like to change it up and ride more upright when racing isn't on the menu.

Kudo's to Mongoose for seeing the low and mid end markets potential and coming out with a REAL fatbike. I'm sure Mongoose's higher"ish" end fatbike isn't far behind and hopefully we'll see Chris Akrigg riding and making a cool video on one soon. Any chance of getting a light weight higher end version one over to him in the UK and talking him into making a vid?

mtbr member
    Is this a steel or aluminum frame/fork?

I'm still in awe of the price.

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Looks to be steel for sure. Same as the Beast, high tensile I'm guessing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Skota -

ETA on the IBD bikes? Can you leak some info on those?

Also, price on the 20" bike?
    I think I might be in for a pair of those!

Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    No firm date yet, we're pushing.

20" should be around $250

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    So...... I did some digging and was able to get a closer up pic and a little more info on the new fat Mongoose that will be available from Walmart and the likes in a couple weeks, but not sure if it's ok to share. Don't want to get anyone in trouble. It's the same bike model Skota posted, just closer up. How about it Skota, can I post the pic or should I just keep it to myself until the bikes actual release?

Perpetual n00b

New geese on the way...

I'm in
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    skota did you say freewheel? That hub won't last long... Nice on the 20"! Fat families are happy families

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    This could be interesting; the market is exploding in the way that mountain bikes dwarfed the sales of road bikes, cruisers, etc. back around 1986. Of course, during that time we got booted out of just about everything that really attracted us.

A couple of years ago, fat bikes on snomobile trails and X-C ski trails was an oddity. Now the National park Service puts warnings up on web pages to keep us reigned in, and a fat biker recently tweeted about getting fined for riding on a Montana Sno-Mo trail.

As it stands, access to ride is limited; there are a few purpose-groomed trail systems around, and riders are finding little scraps if riding here and there. Further, winter conditions seem to bear heavily on the bikes' utility; here in MN a lot of sub-zero weather has hampered our ability to ride, as well as ensuring that the sno base was less than great to ride on (trails don't seem to want to pack hard and its hard to ride in 20" of powder).

But with all these new riders, pressure for access will increase, and access will come. I suggest that its up up to us with a little experience to coach those less fortunate so they have a great time, and avoid the temptation to cause tension. Work with your bike clubs to create a positive image and all that.

These sub $1000 bikes will mostly spec pretty sketchy parts; could be a heyday for the industry as well as they break and need TLC. Hopefully it won't mean fat tires rotting in the recyclers' junk piles...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Montana National forests are Anti Fat Bike !!! It's true and it SUCKS! Moongoose bikes look great!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

New geese on the way...

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    So I guess I'm saying that the "so-called" bargain bikes are going to have a huge impact on the market. They already are. It's winter, and there's discounted Salsa and Surly fat bikes on the show room floor. Course, Surly/QPB are going to be selling a lot more tires than before to all the bargain upgraders.
    Very interesting perspective and I can be one anecdotal story to support this. At the start of winter I was trying to decide between a Pug or Farley and at the last minute a Mukluk 3 (on sales for $1450 at my LBS). In the end I went with a Minnesota 2.0 ($900) and used the saved $$$ to buy a Bud and Nate along with some tasty XT upgrades for my summer bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    So, will we get to see a closer picture???

mtbr member
    May 2012
    lol at the snobs who say surly makes "value" conscious bikes.. lol.. $1k+ is not value.

$300 is more like it for these simple welded together steel tubes and rubber.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Sign me up!! Any specific dates for availability??
    I have a moded up Beast and love it.

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Ok, well since i didn't get a no to posting the pic, here's a closer up pic of the sub $300 bike, Looks like it will have a threadless steerer tube too.

New geese on the way...-mongoose.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    YES! my new town bike!

mtbr member
    I've got a new beast showing up today. I'm wondering if I should have waited? I like the frame and fork. I can't return the one coming though because it was ordered thru my work.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    My son would love a 20" fat bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    that looks like a great deal if it's really going to come in at 300 dollars....

that pretty much addresses everything I don't like about my current beast

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Looks like a good cheap winter commuter for those of us with heavily salted roads :-)

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Is it just me, or does it look to have a bit more cruiser geometry than most fatties? Not that one really can complain at that price point. It looks like I may be able to get a fatty...if I can find somewhere to hide it from the Mrs.

Sent from a one-finger keyboard...pardon my autocorrect

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Can't wait or should I say my son can't wait for the 20!

mtbr member
    looks like a 1X9 on new $300 Beast??
    Current bikes: 2010 Raleigh Talus 29er with Ergon GP5 grips, Shimano PD-T420 Click'R pedals, Topeak Explorer 29" Disc MTX Rear Rack and Topeak DXP bag.

2013 Walmart Mongoose Beast blue

"Put The Fun Between Your Legs"
    "26" isn't Dead, it just got FAT"
    "I Dream On Two Wheels"
    "Be The Motor, You Are The Engine"

Perpetual n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by FatBikeNoob View Post
    1x7 I bet

It says right in this very thread 1x7.

Dr Gadget is IN
    Here are the mass bikes that will be coming out shortly.1x7 freewheel, disc brakes, 190 rear, 100 bb and the geo is the simular to what we see on on most ibd fat bikes, betweeen a medium and large size.
    Yes, 1x7 - but the key is "freewheel". Now we will be searching for a new obscure/obsolete part! OTOH, I see QPB has freewheels - in 10spd! And 9/8/7/6/5spd as well. More important, I see 11-34t options in 8 and 9spd - and 11-32t in 7spd.

Also a nice little 20"
    Now THIS one has my full attention! Looks like it's a gearie w/discs too! I think I know a deserving child to lure to the fat side.
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    One of the first mass-market mountain bikes, the Schwinn Sierra, had a 38T cog on the 5-speed french FW. Didn't shift very well, but then it was back in the days of friction.

Ride that 'Goose until the FW hub blows up (and it prolly will, soon enough), then restring with a freehub.

mtbr member
    sorry for being a bike part noob but what is a freewheel vs. freehub?
    Current bikes: 2010 Raleigh Talus 29er with Ergon GP5 grips, Shimano PD-T420 Click'R pedals, Topeak Explorer 29" Disc MTX Rear Rack and Topeak DXP bag.

"I Dream On Two Wheels"

mtbr member
    Freewheel - the racheting part that allows you to coast is built into the gear cluster
    Freehub - the ratcheting part is part of the hub

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Freewheel is when you get the whole wheel for free. Freehub is when you get the hub for free but have to pay for the rest of the wheel. When you buy a wheel from your bike store make sure they are giving you the whole wheel for free. If they only give you the hub for free and not the whole wheel, you got SCAMMED!

Now that I think about it, all bike related parts should be free. Free bikes for everyone!

Dr Gadget is IN
    To learn, you must visit the site of the departed master:Sheldon Brown

The modern freehub/cassette system lets the drive side wheel bearing be just as close to the dropout as the non-drive bearing, so there is not a long axle stub between the drive side bearing and the dropout.

A freewheel contains the ratchet system and usually includes the drive cogs. It screws onto the hub. A freehub body contains the ratchet system, and is bolted onto the hub. It is included with the hub.

Freehub body and bolt:

Many of the high-end cartridge bearing hubs actually have bearings in both ends of the hub body and the freehub body, with the ratchet system in between the two.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'm in on this affordable fatty! Hope it is available before the writer is through...

mtbr member
    so the Beast freewheel is not ideal but will you really have to upgrade it unless it breaks? I have SS original Beast so I'm little jealous of upcoming new geared disc brake Beast

Will it be possible to to easily upgrade the 1X7 to a 2X7 or will chainline be an issue? Guess we will see some forum members trying it and wait for their insight.

"I Dream On Two Wheels"

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    so the Beast freewheel is not ideal but will you really have to upgrade it unless it breaks? I have SS original Beast so I'm little jealous of upcoming new geared disc brake Beast

Will it be possible to to easily upgrade the 1X7 to a 2X7 or will chainline be an issue? Guess we will see some forum members trying it and wait for their insight.
    2x7 and 3x7 will work fine with no chain line issues. If you want more gears, just throw on an e type front derailure that mounts to the BB and you're good to go.

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    One thing to consider about the 20" fat bike is that it looks like it comes with chopper road tires. I don't think there are any 20"x4" knobby fat tires available anywhere so probly won't be able to have a true 20" fatbike unless someone starts making them.

Dr Gadget is IN
    so the Beast freewheel is not ideal but will you really have to upgrade it unless it breaks?
    Freewheels are usually fine - just need to get some lube in there. I usually use Tenacious Lube (or 90wt gear lube) dripped in while laying flat via the gap on the D/O side, then spun, then placed in a pan - repeat until it's draining thru, leave alone til done draining. The problem is the axle, which can bend between that bearing and the D/O.

If the axles are 3/8"x24tpi, you can get Medium-Strength Alloy Steel Threaded Studs and Rods—ASTM A193 Grade B7. Don't see anything but stainless in metric (10x1)

Quote Originally Posted by N8R View Post
    One thing to consider about the 20" fat bike is that it looks like it comes with chopper road tires. I don't think there are any 20"x4" knobby fat tires available anywhere so probly won't be able to have a true 20" fatbike unless someone starts making them.
    I noticed that on the proto, and that would work ok - but I'm hoping that since they made their own tires for the BasicBeast that they'll clone 'em for the BabyBeast.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wadester View Post
    Freewheels are usually fine - just need to get some lube in there. I usually use Tenacious Lube (or 90wt gear lube) dripped in while laying flat via the gap on the D/O side, then spun, then placed in a pan - repeat until it's draining thru, leave alone til done draining.
    Even 10wt oil is too thick and freezes up with these never ending Arctic Blasts. I've been rinsing out the freewheels with wd-40 to keep the the pawls engaging. Save the oil for above freezing weather. Tell the riders to come back in the spring for oiling.

I'd say freewheels have proven to be more reliable than cassette bodies. Too many cassette bodys are built to be very lightweight. Of course the single huge advantage cassette hubs have is the main bearings are closer to the frame dropouts so broken axles are extremely rare vs all too common on freewheel hubs.

The new geared Beast will be a beast on rear axles and good luck finding long enough replacements. At least it's a simple part to manufacture so someone should step up quick enough.

Dr Gadget is IN
    Morningstar Freehub Soup has been mentioned as a low-temp ratchet lube, but here in the sunny southwest I'm fine with gear oil.

Perpetual n00b

New geese on the way...

Quote Originally Posted by MiniTrail View Post
    I don't expect many kids having enough engine to make use of "true" fat bike grip anyway. More about the look than anything else

should be fine for the beach in places a kid would ride the beach
    I agree. 20 inches is really short and the rolling resistance on snow would be too much for little tykes. Unless conditions are ideal, meaning never with the way this winter has been.

mtbr member
    If you want more gears, just throw on an e type front derailure that mounts to the BB and you're good to go.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't the e-type require another fastening point near the top? This was an obstacle for me.
    The biggest rear sprocket on a 7 speed freewheel I've seen is 34teeth and that with 32t front won't cut it for me-would need front derailer and granny 22t.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by wadester View Post
    The problem is the axle, which can bend between that bearing and the D/O.

If the axles are 3/8"x24tpi, you can get Medium-Strength Alloy Steel Threaded Studs and Rods—ASTM A193 Grade B7. Don't see anything but stainless in metric (10x1)
    Bent axles have been my experience too, when it comes to freewheel hubs. I can't say that I've ever really had a good quality freewheel hub made with high quality materials, though. When I've used them in the past, the axle will generally bend within one or two rides, which requires some TLC, if not a new axle entirely. In your experience, do higher grade studs and threaded rod last longer when used as replacement axles? In the past I've also stripped out a few freehubs, yet I've been happily riding on an old XT Cassette style hub for years without problems, which says to me that quality materials may make a difference. Would a higher strength axle overcome some of the inherent weakness of a freewheel hub? I have an old tandem that might also benefit from a stronger axle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Quote Originally Posted by dudeist View Post
    Doesn't the e-type require another fastening point near the top? This was an obstacle for me.
    I don't know anything about e-type derailleurs, but another option would be to use a direct mount derailleur with a seat tube clamp adapter. I believe problem solvers makes one with enough offset for a 100mm bottom bracket shell.

Sent from a one-finger keyboard...pardon my autocorrect
    Last edited by fotooutdoors; 02-11-2014 at 07:24 AM.

Dr Gadget is IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Cafn8 View Post
    Bent axles have been my experience too, when it comes to freewheel hubs. I can't say that I've ever really had a good quality freewheel hub made with high quality materials, though. When I've used them in the past, the axle will generally bend within one or two rides, which requires some TLC, if not a new axle entirely. In your experience, do higher grade studs and threaded rod last longer when used as replacement axles? In the past I've also stripped out a few freehubs, yet I've been happily riding on an old XT Cassette style hub for years without problems, which says to me that quality materials may make a difference. Would a higher strength axle overcome some of the inherent weakness of a freewheel hub? I have an old tandem that might also benefit from a stronger axle.
    My experience with freewheel hubs has all been from junk-bikes that I have salvaged or been given. At least 1/3 of the axles in these have been bent - but they are all low-grade machines. And probably not well treated. Most of the bent axles had been run that way and trashed the bearing race in the hub body - so a total loss. OTOH, I built up several "experimental" recumbents and had no issues with the hubs I used. This may be like the experience we saw with Basic Beast hub drivers. Most are fine, but some are breaking right at the weld. I think the issue is quality, specifically of heat treatment/strength. If properly done, it works as designed. If it's a "monday after the big weekend" part, well, maybe it lasts and maybe it fails as soon as it gets a real load on it.

Based on the past experience with warranty parts, I would have no problem buying one of these - and asking for a replacement if there was an issue. But I would also try the ASTM stud route - if I noticed the bent axle before the hub race was damaged.

I broke the ratchet in a Hayes hub once upon a time, but they had a rash of problems with that hub - blamed on bad heat treat of the pawls. I got a warranty replacement hub, and it never gave me any problems. OTOH, I took it apart and lubed it to my standards - same as I used to do with all shimano hub bearings. Factory lube tends to be put on light, and be intended more as low-drag than long-life. Cartridge bearings seem to be better set up from the beginning.

I have seen several failed shimano freehub ratchets - but they all failed due to lack'O'lube. At least, on disassembly they were only had a thin paste of ground metal (and dirt?) with just a little grease.

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Ok here's a close up of the 20" version which is called the Massif. Looks like it will be coming with slicks

New geese on the way...-20quotfat.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Is there a name for the big boy bike?

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'm thinking of making a penny farthing looking fat bike with the 20" bike by putting the 26" bikes fork and big wheel on the front of the 20" bike. I did it on a Mako 20" mtn bike and its a fun bike to ride around. This would be really cool in a fat version.

mtbr member
    That massif looks pretty cool.

mtbr member
    I'm thinking of making a penny farthing looking fat bike with the 20" bike by putting the 26" bikes fork and big wheel on the front of the 20" bike. I did it on a Mako 20" mtn bike and its a fun bike to ride around. This would be really cool in a fat version.

That's the sort of thing I build.

For fun I tried to build the most "niche" bike possible - so I figured a fixed wheel folding recumbent penny farthing would get close to that.

My son riding it - I'm a bit short for it.

(Sorry for the OT folks)
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

bigger than you.
    You guys really need to put down your bongs and lay off the dope. Drugs are bad, mkay?

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    That's a cool bike Velo, I like it!

Dr Gadget is IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    You guys really need to put down your bongs and lay off the dope. Drugs are bad, mkay?
    Bikes are a drug! And I'm pedaling them!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    I think a drug habit may be cheaper, but I spend too much on bikes to be able to afford one...
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=fotooutdoors;10993903]I don't know anything about e-type derailleurs, but another option would be to use a direct mount derailleur with a seat tube clamp adapter. I believe problem solvers makes one with enough offset for a 100mm bottom bracket shell.

Thanks, foto., they make 3 sizes and I'm just not sure which I'd need. Not sure I'm buying this new 'Goose anyway.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    What is the of this bloody damn bike!!!!How can I stalk the Walmart site without a solid name? No speculation or creative answers please. Thank you.

Perpetual n00b

New geese on the way...

Quote Originally Posted by Gravelo View Post
    What is the of this bloody damn bike!!!!How can I stalk the Walmart site without a solid name? No speculation or creative answers please. Thank you.
    Not available until February 23rd

mtbr member

New geese on the way...

anyone have specs of new fat goose?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I Dream On Two Wheels"

mtbr member

Also a nice little 20"
    So neither one of those is in the assortment for all stores for the upcoming spring set (ie, not nationwide distribution). Are they part of the special order or pull-tab program where the individual store managers can order them in with a special rack to fit?

Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I think thats how its going to work. .com as well.

26" is called the Dolomite
    20" is the Massif

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I think thats how its going to work. .com as well.

26" is called the Dolomite
    20" is the Massif
    Dolomite, check.

Lord Thunderbottom
    My kid is going to lose his mind when he sees a black and yellow "fat bike" in his size, now if only he'd ditch the training wheels :\
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't

mtbr member
    I told my 6 year old that I would buy him one when he learns to ride without training wheels. Right now he has to ride a Dora bike, because I refuse to put training wheels on his Specialized Hot Rock.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I am about to buy a 20in bike (used Hotrock or similar) but if there will be a 20in fatty soon i will wait. Any idea on the ETA of massif, I would love him to be on a fatty for his race in April!!! Price on the massif?

Thanks
    E.P.
    2013 Mukluk 3
    2012 El Mariachi
    2012 Specialized Carve comp (work bike)
    2005 Banshee Chaparral
    2008 Felt F4C (roadie)

mtbr member
    They are saying end of the month and $250

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    How wide are the rims on the Massif?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    So the dolomite will be available around the 23rd of this month on Walmart.com?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Also a nice little 20"
    How reliable is this info? I've been checking the Walmart site everyday for the past 3 months hoping to find a price under $200, well aware of how much I'll need to drop to upgrade, and weighing that with going the bikes direct/framed bikes at the $700-800 price point, and not having to dink around, find parts, and a welder.

An option in between without a coaster brake, even with single speed would absolutely get my money. Disc brakes. Hell yes. I've never built a wheel, but the us choppers hub has been sold out every time I look, and I'd rather not have to deal with any of that anyways.

Problem is the beast has had certain colors keep going out of stock, so I'm guessing supplies are low, and don't want to miss that train for a fatty in that $400ish range after upgrades..

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Ok, well since i didn't get a no to posting the pic, here's a closer up pic of the sub $300 bike, Looks like it will have a threadless steerer tube too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mongoose.jpg 
Views:	3617 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	867821
    Yea. Buying 2 of these guys. This is probably he coolest bike for money i've seen for 20 years. even if these parts are junk, the platform is there, without having to source out welding, or find rare parts or jimmy rig some kind of solutions.

I cannot wait for these. I will probably find some kind of donors on the cheap to upgrade these.

So pumped for this after staring at walmarts page every day for months trying to find a lower than 200 price lol.
    Last edited by steveohio; 02-15-2014 at 06:22 AM. Reason: should have read whole thread

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The info is very reliable.

passed out in your garden
    I wish they had Walmart here in Switzerland.....
    always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cmg71 View Post
    No you don't, go to peopleofwalmart.com, that is what comes along with WalMart. You can probly order online. After you have went to people of WAL-MART you have to check out GIYP.com they seem to go hand in hand.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmg71 View Post
    All due respect. You don't know what what you say. You never know who's listening. Wishing for WallyWorld is like wishing for Gangrene. Please take it back, PLEASE!
    Still cleaning my Fatback.
    It's a life style.

mtbr member
    1x7... That's a gripshift, right?
    Ask me about Evansburg State Park
    Trail days. 3rd Sunday
    of the month.

Perpetual n00b

Quote Originally Posted by fell_brook View Post
    1x7... That's a gripshift, right?
    Please no

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Velo Your bike is way RAD! I would love for Mongoose to bring back Moto mags for the Massif. That would look so sweet!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast