Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

New geese on the way...

Out riding yesterday, ran into someone on a mongoose prototype. Looks to be a serious competitor to the mukluk, he said priced around $1000... looked like a nice bike, rolling on 100mm rims, 190 back end. SLX. Sounds like it'll be released sometime around summer.

Also, there's a new wall-goose coming. Also 190, discs. "decent geometry" was also mentioned. apparently very soon, like within the next couple weeks.

So there's that.

mtbr member

Re: New geese on the way...

190 rear, hundies, and slx- all for ~1k??? Believe it when I see it.

I'm betting the spec sheet takes a hit or the price is higher. Notice what tyres?

mtbr member
    Rims were the same ones on the wall-goose- said the guy "they're strong, their reasonably light" - tires were tires. Might have been the same ones from the wallgoose. didn't check. Overall weight wasn't bad. Not light, not heavy. reasonable.

No reason for 190 to be more expensive than 170 when you're a division of Pacific (the largest bike shaped object seller in the world) and you can get (generic taiwanese hub-maker) to run you a couple thousand cheap.

I have no doubt it'll be pretty close to what I saw and at a price that's pretty close. Also don't doubt that there will be compromises that keep it at that price point, like tires, etc. This was a pretty polished prototype.That said, it looked pretty decent.

Good... this whole fat bike thing was getting stale anyway. I'm glad anyone and everyone has now jumped on board to saturate the market with their fat bike copy. Now the companies that do the actual real innovation can start to come up with the "next big thing".

mtbr member

Re: New geese on the way...

Not to nitpick, but I'd see it as more of an on-one competitor than a muk competitor. For us on the west side of the pond anyway, both are likely direct order vs muk being a shop brand. I haven't priced a muk, but the price/value(speculated) seems to undershoot the muk by a margin.

Re: tires were tires. It's a more important spec than rear mech. One can upgrade most parts of a fatbike, including a rigid fork, for less than a pair of tires. I know you know that, BTW, I'm just saying that any bike with vee whatever tires gets an automatic +150 added to the price in my book.

mtbr member
    Yup, tires are important, but hey, you can't get everything and keep the price low.

I'm just happy to see more companies getting in on it.

I don't know what kind of innovation there is to do with fatbikes, I mean, they're a pretty simple concept- take a rigid bike, add really big tires, go... So I'm happy to see ne companies get involved and find ways to make them cheaper.

I'm sure that folks who bought mountain bikes pre stumpjumper said the same kind of things, that all these new guys are just jumping on the bandwagon and that no one is gonna innovate ever again, and that kinda turned out wrong. so I'm not too worried.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I heard (from as reliable a source as you can get) that there are performance inspired fat bikes starting to arrive here in the States any time now at a landed price of just a hair over $400. It looks like they will be retailing for right about $1k so your meeting pretty much corroborates the story. I have some feelers out but I think I know where the frames come from which gives me a pretty good idea what the spec likely is too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'm skeptical of the so-called bargain fatbikes, and their impact on the market. I built up a new Pugs 3 years ago with no throwaway parts for around $1600. The friggin' Nashbar fatbike is now listed at $2000! The majority of the new tires introduced during that time appear to be underwhelming at best, and I don't see much happening in the low-to-id range of fat rims, either. In some ways, the price of a viable fatbike seems to have crept up a bit. I think the entry level Pugs is now around $1700 vs $1300 a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    The friggin' Nashbar fatbike is now listed at $2000! The majority of the new tires introduced during that time appear to be underwhelming at best, and I don't see much happening in the low-to-id range of fat rims, either. In some ways, the price of a viable fatbike seems to have crept up a bit. I think the entry level Pugs is now around $1700 vs $1300 a few years ago.
    I think you mean $1,000 for the Nashbar? I dunno... I'm in the same boat with paying just a little bit extra. I was to my local Scheels Sports store the other day and they had Mukluks at $1499 for the entry model... in a really awesome black that made me think it was the carbon beargrease out of the corner of my eye. The complete bike is listed on Salsa's website at $1850 msrp... so shop around and you can get $350 off for a well-spec'd and proven bike... with Nate tires.

Loser
    The Nashbar bike did go up in price to $2,000, but I suspect that's just so they can say its 50% off in their next sale. There's no way they are going to actually sell that bike for more than a Pugs, not going to happen (and I think they know that).

As an owner of a cheap fat bike, I can tell you I am 100% satisfied, yep I pumped another $300 or so into it, but I have a fat bike that is about the right weight and works great for around $1,200. I looked at the spec on the Pugs before I bought this bike and I just don't see anything more in that bike than I got in mine.

I was at EMS this weekend, they had a Kona Wo on the floor for $1699 marked down to $1399 - the build on that bike was no better than the build on mine when I bought it for $899 (I don't like the look of the Wo, but that's just personal preference).
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

?

New geese on the way...-screen-shot-2014-02-03-1.54.32-pm.png

Loser
    It was $2k yesterday.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    I think you mean $1,000 for the Nashbar?
    Yeah, something funny's going on with the Nashbar pricing. I saw an online ad on another site showing the price at $1999, but today on Nashbar's site it's at $999. It says "Compare at $1999."

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    It was $2k yesterday.
    Thanks for verifying I wasn't the only one who saw that!
    Not the first time, either: Nashbar Fat Bike, who else pulled the trigger?

See post #43.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    I'm skeptical of the so-called bargain fatbikes, and their impact on the market. I built up a new Pugs 3 years ago with no throwaway parts for around $1600. The friggin' Nashbar fatbike is now listed at $2000! The majority of the new tires introduced during that time appear to be underwhelming at best, and I don't see much happening in the low-to-id range of fat rims, either. In some ways, the price of a viable fatbike seems to have crept up a bit. I think the entry level Pugs is now around $1700 vs $1300 a few years ago.
    Perhaps these cheap fat bikes won't drive Surly/Salsa prices down, but there are going to be thousands of folks riding fat bikes who might not otherwise. The avalanche is just getting started. Shy the bad rubber, these new cheap options are very much in line with what Salsa and Surly have been putting out on the low end models. Most these bargain bikes are just hitting the market. My guess is that Surly/Salsa/Specialized will try to own the $2000 fat bike in the next year or two. This means the specs on bikes in those ranges will be getting better.

So I guess I'm saying that the "so-called" bargain bikes are going to have a huge impact on the market. They already are. It's winter, and there's discounted Salsa and Surly fat bikes on the show room floor. Course, Surly/QPB are going to be selling a lot more tires than before to all the bargain upgraders.
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    It's winter, and there's discounted Salsa and Surly fat bikes on the show room floor. Course, Surly/QPB are going to be selling a lot more tires than before to all the bargain upgraders.
    True! LBS had a 20% off all fatbikes sale last week, including carbon Beargreases. A few people I know were twitching, trying to hang on to their credit cards.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    So now Cannondale's parent company has Charge and Mongoose doing fat bikes, and Mongoose doing a rework from the sounds of it, to make it somewhat legit.

How much longer you gonna be wit dat Fat Lefty Cannondale???

This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Nice meeting you Buckfidious, nice to know you're local. Nice looking Salsa you had too We're lucky to live in an area where the trails are so close and well tracked. I make it out daily at lunch.
    We have a couple IBD versions we're working on.

Here are the mass bikes that will be coming out shortly.1x7 freewheel, disc brakes, 190 rear, 100 bb and the geo is the simular to what we see on on most ibd fat bikes, betweeen a medium and large size. This particular sample has alot of riding time under it's belt and feels great. retail should be under $300 and available in a couple weeks.

Also a nice little 20"
    Mongoose product development

mtbr member
    subscribed...

Got any closer shots you can share? What is the approximate weight?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skota23 View Post
    Nice meeting you Buckfidious, nice to know you're local. Nice looking Salsa you had too We're lucky to live in an area where the trails are so close and well tracked. I make it out daily at lunch.
    We have a couple IBD versions we're working on.

Here are the mass bikes that will be coming out shortly.1x7 freewheel, disc brakes, 190 rear, 100 bb and the geo is the simular to what we see on on most ibd fat bikes, betweeen a medium and large size. This particular sample has alot of riding time under it's belt and feels great. retail should be under $300 and available in a couple weeks.

Also a nice little 20"
    Awesome! Felt a little guilty posting anything, didn't want to get anyone in trouble.

That 20 looks amazing... I think my daughter may need a fatbike...

mtbr member
    If that 20" fits my son....he'd be the happiest kid alive...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Wow! For that price, I can see lots of people here (Canada) riding those in the winter.

bhc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I am assuming from what skota23 wrote, "and the geo is the simular to what we see on on most ibd fat bikes, betweeen a medium and large size" means there will be only one size available.

mighty sailin' man
    Still waiting to pick up a pair of the 20s!
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

Quote Originally Posted by skota23 View Post
    Wow. So I'm guessing they will still come with really low-end boat anchor tires but bigger? Looks like you are running Bud & Lou on this one? Still... holy crap for that price. Throw Bud/Lou on, Carver fork, and you are still at $900 total upgraded.

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast