mtbr member
    Mar 2017

New fattie for trail/enduro

Hi all.

I recently sold my specialized stumpjumper fsr 6fattie to buy a new fatbike for my trail rides.
    I owned a bucksaw 16 (alloy frame) but sold that one which I now regret.

Looking at the market now I have selected 3 different bikes that are interesting:

Trek farley ex 9.8 2017
    Salsa bucksaw carbon 2017
    Foes Mutz.

Both the trek and salsa is my size and I will get a good deal at the local dealer.
    The Foes mutz is a special build in L but M is really my size (I m 5'8).

Any thoughts or suggestions about any of the bikes?
    I will use it for technical trails year around.
    Remember my only concern owning the bucksaw was the low travel and the Bluto sometimes felt "weak" and too much flexy.

Thanks for comments.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Sounds like you jump around with bikes a lot. Any reason you didn't like the 6fattie?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The Kona Wozo and Matter Benefat deserve consideration as well if you're not opposed to a hardtrail. If matched with a Wren instead of the Bluto you wouldn't have the flex.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I miss the larger footprint the bucksaw (or any fatbike) offer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I own a moonlander which is my bike when it's not too technical trails. A hard tail would be too similar.
    The wren is definitely a possible upgrade if going with the trek or bucksaw.
    The Foes comes with a wren 150mm.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    My vote would be for the Bucksaw, I'm pretty happy with mine. The '17 comes with a better rear shock (debonair) than the '16, still spec'd with the Bluto though but it looks like better fork option might be coming in April....
    '07 Spec Enduro
    '14 Salsa Mukluk 2
    '16 Salsa Bucksaw GX1

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    For me a bike would have to be way way better to even begin to justify going to the wrong size.
    Latitude 61

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    For me a bike would have to be way way better to even begin to justify going to the wrong size.
    I'm 5'8 and SOME smaller larges I can fudge. But the medium Bucksaw fits me so incredibly well that if it was an option, there's absolutely nothing that would convince me to buy a larger bike. Obviously the OP probably won't have my exact dimensions, but I just wouldn't be looking at a bike that's the wrong size. I don't think that changes...I don't care HOW good the bike is, unless we're talking about parting it out, selling the too-large frame, and replacing it with the correct size, but that seems like too much work to me unless we're talking a specific must-have bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    On the sizing I agree with the advices given.
    Do anyone know if it's possible to switch to 26x4.5 on the trek or bucksaw?
    At least on salsas webpage they recommend not to use anything above the original 4.0...

All fat, all the time.
    I've been running a 4.6 dunderbeist in the rear of my bucksaw all winter with kold kutters. No rubbing. 65mm rims.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Trek will take their 4.7 barbagazi.

Except for snow/mud I'm really surprised that you prefer bigger tires. I have a mukluk on the 4.7 tires and love it. After I built new wheels and went tubeless on it I stopped riding my 29er.

So traded my 29er in on a plus bike, ditched the 2.8 crap tires, put true 3.0 tires on it. Got first real trail ride yesterday and it's literally what I've been dying for the last couple years. Fat bike grip and comfort but way more playful and less grueling on the left my climbs.

You may want to try a plus bike with 3.0 tires before truly deciding, you might be surprised, I know I was yesterday. I'm gonna marry my plus bike, have my fat bike as my "cold weather mistress" lol.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

carpe diem
    Jan 2004
    If you are looking to use the bike more for trail than snow, is there a reason that you want to use 4.5" tires? If you can stick with 4" tires or less you have some fork options with Plus / Boost forks. I run a Fox 34 boost with 120mm travel on my Bucksaw which has transformed it from XC to more trail oriented. I have had Vanhelgas on 70mm rims squeezed in there. I'm currently running B fats which work very well too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    So decision made!

Just ordered a 2017 Salsa Bucksaw Carbon GX1, one of very few available in Scandinavia.
    Looking forward to try out my new mean green machine in a couple of days.
    Not sure why I went for the Salsa and not the Trek but I guess previous experience helped. Both bikes seems to be awesome and will offer good fun on the trails.

Thanks for suggestions, advices and comments folks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Bucksaw has a good suspension design, carbon option, but not enough travel if you want it cover the same ground as 6fatty, also chainstays are long. Limited tire capacity.

Mutz is a decent frame, heavy, suspension is basic, longest travel option. chainstays are long, limited tire capacity, no carbon.

Farley EX has a decent suspension, more travel than the Bucksaw though still far less than a 6fatty or Mutz, 197 hub not my fav, long chainstays, comes in carbon, takes 27.5 x 4.5 and 29+ tires.

Given those three choices I'd choose the Farley EX.

I'm getting a Lenz, the current FS fatty crop has long chainstays, need to get em shorter if you want a playfull bike. 420mm is a good target, even 430 would be an improvement.

Norđwegr
    You can get a van helga into a certain fox34s if you want something beefier than the bluto.

Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Bucksaw has a good suspension design

Farley EX has a decent suspension
    Isn't Treks ABP essentially a split pivot, same as the Bucksaw? (DW did lose a lawsuit against Trek so he seems to think it is even though the judge did not)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    You can get a van helga into a certain fox34s if you want something beefier than the bluto.

Isn't Treks ABP essentially a split pivot, same as the Bucksaw? (DW did lose a lawsuit against Trek so he seems to think it is even though the judge did not)
    Yeah, that sounds right. I'm sure the Trek suspension is decent.

I'm not a Trek fan boy, don't own one, but it's my impression that Trek is bringin/helping to bring some quality products to market including frames, rims, tires, and forks.

The Trek Farley EX just gives more bang for the buck, that said you won't see one in my shed without a shorter chainstays.

I also just saw a post that suggested the Farley EX linkage could set low or high. If so, that's a neat trick.

Don't need to worry about forks, the Bluto is about to become the Reba of fat bike forks, no need to limit tire sizes to ride the Fox, the Mastodon is coming!