mtbr member
    Sep 2004

New Fatback Build - from the colorado front range

2011/2012 has been a great biking year for me. I started riding in 1994 with a Keith Bontrager ( boneshaker) racelite hardtail. I REALLY got into Ibis Ti bikes starting in 2002with my Bow-ti, but I started to notice they collected too much dust and I wasn't riding them.

For my 40th, my wife bought me a used Mooto-XZ 29er dualie frame. I built it up and rode the hell out of that thing this summer and sold all my Ibis Ti 26" bikes too.( I also sold my Ibis Road 55cm that was too small for me and bought a used 57cm Moots Cross bike..what can I say, I can't stay out of the dirt) I started to realize, if a bike isn't fun to ride..why own it?

Falling back in love with riding got me night riding for the first time in my life...I love it! But when the snow flew, I still wanted to ride. Solution, studded tires! I purchased a pair of Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pros ( For sale, btw). These worked well on ice but I punched through the snow and lost studs when I hit the dirt.

THEN..I found Fat Tire bikes here on MTBR. what a revelation! I spend most of my weekends in summit county and the trails we hike with the dogs are usually packed enough that snow shoes are not even needed. After some research I ended up with this...

2012 FatBack Cycles ride in size 20.

The Fatback just seemed to be a little better thought out than some of the other options.

- tapered headtub
    - carbon fork that has more clearance than needed for a BFL
    - perfect set of engineered external bottom bracket cranks
    - replaceable rear deraileur hanger
    - rear rack mounts
    - AWESOME orange anodized finish!
    - great cable routing
    - USA made!

Greg and Pete were both great to deal with. When I called to order, they told me 1.5 weeks until the frame came in. 2 weeks later, its sitting in my office, packed VERY well! I had several XT parts left over from when I upgraded my MXZ to XTR & I9's last summer to shave some weight. Here is a build list with scale weights I took before bolting everything together...

2021----Fatback rame w/ BB cups and headset cups installed (thanks Pete!)
    768g ---Fatback Carbon fork w/ race installed
    810g----Fatback/FSA crankset
    67g------FSA headset bearings etc..
    43g -----Salsa Fliplock seat collar
    197g-----Thomson masterpiece 350mm X 30.9 post
    242g ---SellaItalia Ti rail Trans Am saddle ( got one on all 3 of my bikes)
    197g ---FSA SLK 685mm bars
    154g ---FSA OS190 90mm stem
    48g -----FSA compression plug
    206g----ERGO Grips
    287g----XT 10spd shifters
    237g ---XT 10spd rear deraileur
    337g----XT 10spd cassette
    141g ---SRAM bolt on front deraileur
    280g -- XTR 10 spd chain ( I later took 4 links out)
    136g ---Avid 180mm front rotor
    91g ---- Avid 160mm rear rotor
    238g ---Avid XO front brake assembly
    259g--- Avid XO rear brake assembly
    1571g --Rear wheel ( Salsa 170mm hub, Rolling Daryl 80mm rim, straight spokes)
    1283g --Front wheel ( Pauls 135mm hub, Rolling Daryl 80mm rim, straight spokes)
    484gr--- (two) Bontrager 29 X 2.5 tubes
    2850g --(two) Surly BIG FAT LARRY 120 Tpi tires
    65g------ Salsa 170mm Flip Off skewer
    61g ----- Salsa 135mm flip Off skewer
    380g------Shimano M985 pedals

13454 grams = 29.70lbs

Impressions...

WOW! I'm amazed at what this thing can go through. balance your weight and hammer! Two lessons I've learned in the 4hrs I've spent on the bike since completion 48hrs ago.

A) momentum is key
    B) respect ice covered concrete..

See you on the trails!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Fatback Build - from the colorado front range-img_1032-small-.jpg  

New Fatback Build - from the colorado front range-img_1033-small-.jpg  

New Fatback Build - from the colorado front range-img_1034-small-.jpg  

New Fatback Build - from the colorado front range-img_1037-small-.jpg  

New Fatback Build - from the colorado front range-img_1036-small-.jpg  

New Fatback Build - from the colorado front range-img_1039-small-.jpg  

New Fatback Build - from the colorado front range-img_1042-small-.jpg  

Last edited by bowtiguy; 12-28-2013 at 07:58 AM.

A Surly Maverick
    Welcome !

Excellent build, really glad to hear that you are enjoying the Fat Side

Look forward to more Pix
    A Fatback'd Lefty for who life IS a Beach

Nuts
    Very nice write up and very cool bike, also I saw one very similar somewhere just can't put a finger on it. More pics needed

p.s. I agree Greg and Pete are awesome to deal with.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    bike build videos are cool, but I just don't know what I'm doing when it comes time to photo/video editing...so we will fast forward to the final ( for now) product.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Fatback Build - from the colorado front range-img_1046-small-.jpg  

New Fatback Build - from the colorado front range-img_1047-small-.jpg  

New Fatback Build - from the colorado front range-img_1051-small-.jpg  

New Fatback Build - from the colorado front range-img_1056-small-.jpg  

New Fatback Build - from the colorado front range-img_1059-small-.jpg  

New Fatback Build - from the colorado front range-img_1060-small-.jpg  

New Fatback Build - from the colorado front range-img_1083-small-.jpg  

New Fatback Build - from the colorado front range-img_1043-small-.jpg  

New Fatback Build - from the colorado front range-img_1087-small-.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Awesome bike!

How much did the New Belgium weigh before and after the build

mtbr member
    Very nice! Gotta love building one up with a couple good barley pops on the side!
    smells like cotton candy.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Did ya happen to measure out how wide the BFL`s are on the rolling Daryls? By the way sweet bike,makes my want to sell my old fatback & get a new one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KP snowman View Post
    Did ya happen to measure out how wide the BFL`s are on the rolling Daryls? .
    Went out and took a quick measurement for you. Looks like 4 and 1/8" or 105mm from side wall to side wall at 9 psi hanging in the garage as pictured. Not quite sure how much more I would get with 100's.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesterrider View Post
    Awesome bike!

How much did the New Belgium weigh before and after the build
    Good question. After all the detail and pre-assembly weights I left out the most important one! Its a new belgium glass, but held one of my favorites and fitting for the snowbike crowd. NEVER SUMMER by Boulder Brewery. See pics for some scientific results.....

Quote Originally Posted by tateb View Post
    Very nice! Gotta love building one up with a couple good barley pops on the side!
    True! speaking of barley, I give you..... KILLER PENGUIN!!! barleywine ale from Boulder Brewery. I bought what DAVCO Liquors had left...three bottles! ( worlds largest liquor store btw). 10% alcohol too

Good thing I saved it for the super bowl and not the build!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Fatback Build - from the colorado front range-picture-045-small-.jpg  

New Fatback Build - from the colorado front range-picture-047-small-.jpg  

New Fatback Build - from the colorado front range-picture-050-small-.jpg  

New Fatback Build - from the colorado front range-picture-052-small-.jpg  

mtbr member
    very nice build, looks like quite a bit of fun. and nice two level car lift in the first pic. bow tie, vintage chevy under the tarp.
    "Live dangerously and you live right."
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kreater View Post
    very nice build, looks like quite a bit of fun. and nice two level car lift in the first pic. bow tie, vintage chevy under the tarp.
    Thanks. Thats a 57 Nomad project on top. 650hp NA C6Z Z06 under cover. Vette is for sale as I'm having too much fun riding again to road race it. Nomad is staying rigth where it is for now.

mtbr member
    low slung nomad would be a sweet ride. if your keeping it. bowtieguy if i could ask a favour for a shot of your fat back left side crank arm clearance from the chain stay. i need a reference point with BB and that spacer that fsa uses. thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks for the tire measurement,BFL`s on uma 70`s should fit my older fatback,I hope.

Bite Me.
    Nice looking ride, and you guys have some snow to use it on. We need some more.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    low slung nomad would be a sweet ride. if your keeping it. bowtieguy if i could ask a favour for a shot of your fat back left side crank arm clearance from the chain stay. i need a reference point with BB and that spacer that fsa uses. thanks in advance.
    forgot to take pics when I loaded it up into the H3 Alpha ( with the fly fishing gear and ski gear) to head up to summit county to ride in the AM...livin' the life. I'll get them for you when I get back.

Quote Originally Posted by KP snowman View Post
    Thanks for the tire measurement,BFL`s on uma 70`s should fit my older fatback,I hope.
    glad I could help. If I owned an older Fatback I'd stay stick with i too..

Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat View Post
    Nice looking ride, and you guys have some snow to use it on. We need some more.
    we do down here on the front range. Heading to the high country in the AM for some real fun. Now that the hikers have been out local trails should rock for a sunday Am ride when I return.

mtbr member
    Excellent work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lighten up.
    Lookin' good, manólove that color. Congrats on the build, and welcome to the Cult...

mtbr member
    Beautiful bike!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Here you go. looks like 1/2"+ clearance on each side. Drive side is couple layers of fancy black E-tape. I hope it helps!

BTW, I'm running 10spd Shimano dyna-sys 11-36 rear cassette BFL's on 80mm rolling daryl rims and I have NO PROBLEM with chain run on anything. took me a while to dial in the Sram X7 FD but now it rocks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Fatback Build - from the colorado front range-picture-019-small-.jpg  

New Fatback Build - from the colorado front range-picture-021-small-.jpg  

New Fatback Build - from the colorado front range-picture-023-small-.jpg  

New Fatback Build - from the colorado front range-picture-025-small-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bowtiguy View Post
    Here you go. looks like 1/2"+ clearance on each side. Drive side is couple layers of fancy black E-tape. I hope it helps!

BTW, I'm running 10spd Shimano dyna-sys 11-36 rear cassette BFL's on 80mm rolling daryl rims and I have NO PROBLEM with chain run on anything. took me a while to dial in the Sram X7 FD but now it rocks!
    thanks for the pictures, think i'm going to run a set of those cranks on my new moon lander. with that kind of clearance i think it will work, those extra spacers and all. building a frame up so not so big and fat. rolling d's with nates and running a 1/10. once again thanks.