mtbr member
    May 2013

New to fat bikes

Hi all

From Aus, 4 hours west of Sydney. New to forums and new to fat bikes. Been reading a bit and have figured that if I want to build up a fat bike within the budget approved for the Minister for Domestic Affairs and Finance I will probably need to build one and pull down one of my other ones. So other than what I have below, what things are NOT compatible between my 26er and a fat bike?

Frame and forks (obviously)
    Wheelset
    Bottom bracket

Anything else that is spec'd specifically for fat bikes?

Cheers and thanks for the help.

Regards
    Aaron

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmo76 View Post
    Hi all

From Aus, 4 hours west of Sydney. New to forums and new to fat bikes. Been reading a bit and have figured that if I want to build up a fat bike within the budget approved for the Minister for Domestic Affairs and Finance I will probably need to build one and pull down one of my other ones. So other than what I have below, what things are NOT compatible between my 26er and a fat bike?

Frame and forks (obviously)
    Wheelset
    Bottom bracket

Anything else that is spec'd specifically for fat bikes?

Cheers and thanks for the help.

Regards
    Aaron
    Hey Aaron:

fellow fatbiker. Blue Mountains.

You probably meant to include cranks too. As most modern cranks are two piece. Meaning that the BB axle/spindle is part of one of the crank arms.

Welcome to the "club"

mtbr member
    After building my own up I would recommend buying a complete build and then buying the extra fancy items you want as well it will likely come out the same and you have spares for sale/use later.

mtbr member

New to fat bikes

Unless you are running square taper cranks, yeah. Might also need a direct mount front der., but just go 1x. But that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by OFFcourse View Post
    After building my own up I would recommend buying a complete build and then buying the extra fancy items you want as well it will likely come out the same and you have spares for sale/use later.
    Don't agree. I built my Moonlander up with much better specs than a stock one would come, and for slightly less money. Building is always better. I have Bud/Lou, a good saddle, proper wide bars, XO grip shift, and Hayes Prime hydro disc brakes with 203 rotor in front. You get lame specs on a stock Moonlander for the price. Not to mention if you shop through Universal Cycles you get 15% off everything over $300 (sign up for their newsletter). I got my local bike shop to come down to $550 for the Moonlander frame as well (standard is $700). You just have to know how to shop and work the angles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    Don't agree. I built my Moonlander up with much better specs than a stock one would come, and for slightly less money. Building is always better. I have Bud/Lou, a good saddle, proper wide bars, XO grip shift, and Hayes Prime hydro disc brakes with 203 rotor in front. You get lame specs on a stock Moonlander for the price. Not to mention if you shop through Universal Cycles you get 15% off everything over $300 (sign up for their newsletter). I got my local bike shop to come down to $550 for the Moonlander frame as well (standard is $700). You just have to know how to shop and work the angles
    I agree with this. I got a great deal on a stock, lightly used Pugsley, and I've been swapping out parts recently. I've paid much less than retail for everything so far, but in the end, I think that I could have just built up what I wanted and spent less money, rather than constantly tinkering with things.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Found the On-One Fatty yesterday. It appears to be excellent value for money as a complete bike. Reviews seem pretty good too. Might be a good to way to get going while I learn the way of fat bikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Re: New to fat bikes

Found the On-One Fatty yesterday. It appears to be excellent value for money as a complete bike. Reviews seem pretty good too. Might be a good to way to get going while I learn the way of fat bikes.
    yeh cant go wrong with the on one fatty for the price got BFLs on mine for summer its a really nice ride

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New to fat bikes-uploadfromtaptalk1370073529747.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Excellent, because I just bought one. Not sure how long to get packed and shipped to Aus but damn keen to get in the saddle of this sucker...

Fat & Single
    Im also in agreement with the build idea, you can buy the fat bits then use your parts bin for most of the components to get you going then bling it up later.

Welcome to fatty loving Simmo.... and another Aussie getting on the fat train.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    May 2013
    The On-one Fatty is going to be around A$1500 landed. Even if I bought the bare minimum and then pilfered stuff off other bikes to build a fatty, not sure I could build an entire bike for that.

Anyway, I see it as just the evolution thing. You buy something to try it out, then get addicted and it all spirals out of control from there.

mtbr member
    The On-one Fatty is going to be around A$1500 landed. Even if I bought the bare minimum and then pilfered stuff off other bikes to build a fatty, not sure I could build an entire bike for that.

Anyway, I see it as just the evolution thing. You buy something to try it out, then get addicted and it all spirals out of control from there.
    Agree with this....also, it is much more enjoyable to get a complete bike, start riding, and see what you want to change. Then you can do it gradually, while still having a bike to ride.