mtbr member
    Jul 2012

New fat bike rider with questions

ok long time rider mostly road. I'm ready to buy a fatty but need some help. Most of my riding will be on ditchbanks (loose dirt) or winter time snow riding. I may take it out a few times in the summer on single tracks. In my research I found that some frames will allow for a larger 4.8 rear tire while others don't. Is that something that I need to have? Also, I'm I going to notice the difference between a 25lb bike and a 32lb bike in the snow?
    I have it narrowed down to a couple frames with Sram X9 components mostly. All advice is welcome. Thanks

Rocking on a Rocky
    You can always run small tires on the bigger frame but not the other way around.
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

turtles make me hot
    Exactly.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    If you are planning on riding much, get the best bike you can afford. Then go ride. Don't forget to budget for winter gear.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Makes sense to get the bike that accommodates the larger tires. I'm looking at the Berealis echo just not sure what level of components yet. Any other recommendations on different bikes? I'm looking for a bike that's quicker and more responsive than most. My current mtb bike is a niner rip 29'' and I'm trying to get close to the handling of it if possible. Thanks

mtbr member
    definitely go for the larger tires,weight is weight ,get the lightest setup your budget allows.you will be riding for fun in the winter and fully dressed to ride you will be heavier than when out in the summer.may as well start out as light as you can.

turtles make me hot
    My 907 is FAIRLY light considering it's running 4.8" tires on 100mm rims. If nothing else, it's made me faster on my 29er by a long shot.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    If I wanted to ride it all year, I might look to something like a Beargrease. I ride a Fatboy in the winter, but I do have a Carbon Bucksaw on order (will likley replace my Ibis Mojo) for the summer months, so I would be lying if I said I thought 5" tires were great for the summer.

Elitest thrill junkie
    "Also, I'm I going to notice the difference between a 25lb bike and a 32lb bike in the snow?"

If you ride the 32lb bike and never ride a 25lb bike with carbon rims, no.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks guys. I'm headed out today to try and demo ride some. Still intrigued with the Borealis Echo. I'll be interested to see how it handles.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    If you aren't concerned about suspension the Echo with their new rigid fork and the XO1 components is a lot of bang for the buck. 25lbs vs 32lbs is a ton of weight, yes you will notice. Get the frame that can handle the largest tires, you won't regret it. Plus, if you grow tired of it or wish to change bikes at a later date the frame that fits the larger tires will be a LOT easier to sell and most likely bring more money.