mtbr member
    Nov 2014

New Fat Bike nearing completion

So after more than a year of thinking about it, reading and lurking in the forums, pricing components I'm building a new Fatty (and I've already sold my Pugsley). This is what I've come up with:

iCanBikes SN03 with 15x150mm fork
    Nextie 65mm Rims laced to DT Swiss 350 Big Ride hubs (running the 4.25 H-Billie and planning on going tubeless)
    XX1 Drivetrain with the GXP100 steel bearing BB
    Avid Juicy 7 Brakes

Stem, handle bars, saddle and seat post will be coming from what I have sitting around. The wheelset is the only thing I haven't ordered yet.

This is my first time building a Fatty. Also, first time running 1x11, or tubeless fat tires, so I'm posting here in part to see if anyone ntices compatibility issues or has input/advice.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The jones is on!!

Enjoy the new fatty!
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

This place needs an enema
    My sweetie has these exact hubs and rims on her fatbike. Tubeless beautifully with Vee and Surly rubber thus far.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    My sweetie has these exact hubs and rims on her fatbike. Tubeless beautifully with Vee and Surly rubber thus far.
    Do you know if her Nextie Rims are UD, 3k or 12k? Is there really that much of a difference?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Rango View Post
    Do you know if her Nextie Rims are UD, 3k or 12k? Is there really that much of a difference?
    It's just a visual one. If you type in the 3 kinds into Google with "vs" between then you'll get some photos and explanations that are worthwhile

This place needs an enema
    UD. The differences are cosmetic.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    My understanding is that the rim is constructed of UD fabric as it has the properties that the manufacturer (whether frame, rim, etc) requires for strength etc. The top layer of fabric is a customer chosen fabric for cosmetics. The 12k ans 3k are heavier. You'd never notice on a rim but might see a small increase on a frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Nextie offers all 3...

Nextie Bike | Carbon Bicycle Devotion | Online Shopping
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by fatboy43 View Post
    My understanding is that the rim is constructed of UD fabric as it has the properties that the manufacturer (whether frame, rim, etc) requires for strength etc. The top layer of fabric is a customer chosen fabric for cosmetics. The 12k ans 3k are heavier. You'd never notice on a rim but might see a small increase on a frame.
    I've been reading that, especially in rim construction, UD is primary material in the actual rim with a layer of, 3k or 12k for primarily cosmetic appeal. I'm not too concerned with aesthetics, and definitely don't want to add weight for cosmetic reasons.

Anyone have anything against Sapim Super Spokes (lacing together 65mm Nexties and DT 350 Big Rides)?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Not a bad choice of spokes. Sapim spokes put up with trials, which is hard on parts. Trials bikes lead a very hard life considering their weight is minimal.
    Doctor recommended...