Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    5,090

    A New Challenge...Riding Deer Trails

    So I am always up for trying something different and now that the snow has setup enough, deer trails are finally prime for riding. If you want an interesting challenge, I strongly suggest finding some of the deer trails w/ high traffic and see how long you can ride before you put a foot down. It is even more fun at night.

    Word of caution, it is tough on equipment, but wayyy more fun than riding groomed trials imho.

    Also, don't try to guilt trip me into thinking I am damaging their habitat, I was granted permission from the hdic (head deer in charge for you lamo's), he had no issue with me sharing his trails.

  2. #2
    aka bOb
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7,927
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    So I am always up for trying something different
    I sensed something was a little off with you, hey to each their own they say.

  3. #3
    MaxTheCyclist.com
    Reputation: mdilthey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    665
    Ultralight bikepacking and gear lists... MaxTheCyclist.com

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    886
    Heard it through the trail droppings that if he didn't grant permission...you were going to take him home and lock him in your freezer.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AlexCuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,271
    We've been trying to ride in some deer trails near me, a week or two ago I was riding just behind a large group for about a half hour. It was pretty fun, though I still hope we succeed in turning the trail into not a deer trail
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,033
    I used to have a private trail I built on my land. After it was finished, I saw that the deer didn't bother with theirs anymore and preferred the nice singletrack lol.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: watermonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    908
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    I used to have a private trail I built on my land. After it was finished, I saw that the deer didn't bother with theirs anymore and preferred the nice singletrack lol.
    Just make sure you put up a sign so the deer know where to cross the road.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,033
    Quote Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post
    Just make sure you put up a sign so the deer know where to cross the road.
    Yeah, it's important to keep them from crossing in areas with lots of traffic. Safety First!

  9. #9
    beer thief
    Reputation: radair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    4,660
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    I used to have a private trail I built on my land. After it was finished, I saw that the deer didn't bother with theirs anymore and preferred the nice singletrack lol.
    I keep a singletrack packed out from my land to the local snowmobile trail. Those fvckers posthole the shit out of it at every opportunity. No, it's not more fun than a groomed trail.

    Sometimes we find them after the coyotes have had their fill.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A New Challenge...Riding Deer Trails-deer-carcass.jpg  


  10. #10
    Professional Crastinator
    Reputation: Fleas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,616
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    So I am always up for trying something different and now that the snow has setup enough, deer trails are finally prime for riding. If you want an interesting challenge, I strongly suggest finding some of the deer trails w/ high traffic and see how long you can ride before you put a foot down. It is even more fun at night.

    Word of caution, it is tough on equipment, but wayyy more fun than riding groomed trials imho.

    Also, don't try to guilt trip me into thinking I am damaging their habitat, I was granted permission from the hdic (head deer in charge for you lamo's), he had no issue with me sharing his trails.
    I was under the impression that with all the old codgers on here that pretty much everyone pretty much started out on deer/game trails. For us, riding game trails, hiking trails, and utility right-of-ways was pretty normal (and was seldom cited as illegal like it is now). The new trails are kinda boring in comparison, so I can understand the fun you're having.

    -F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

  11. #11
    is buachail foighneach me
    Reputation: sean salach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,602
    I used to ride deer trails in the summer a lot when I lived in New Jersey. Fun, technical(especially in rocky areas) with occasional bushwhacking.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,716
    Ride on a game trail and becomes more evident and worn, and obvious, and pretty soon you've just cut a new bike, hiking trail. Take care where you do this, and it should never be in a State, County or city park. Those of us that run parks departments loath people who can't tell the difference between a game trail and a TRAIL, and which should be ignored and which should be ridden/walked on.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    183
    Deer trails in Iowa provide a good cardio workout during shotgun deer season!

  14. #14
    aka bOb
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7,927
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Mushy View Post
    Deer trails in Iowa provide a good cardio workout during shotgun deer season!
    That's more of a interval type training , up here in WI they use mostly rifles so kind of a more Endurance cardio

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    5,090
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    I sensed something was a little off with you, hey to each their own they say.
    I even went to the extreme and tried carbon handlebars....we both know how that ended up!!

Similar Threads

  1. Ever hit a deer (or other large animal) while riding?
    By mizzaboom in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 06-13-2014, 05:59 PM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-09-2013, 11:37 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-04-2013, 04:15 PM
  4. Cuyuna Lakes Trails Close for Deer Season
    By snowboy76 in forum Minnesota, Wisconsin
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-04-2012, 08:35 AM
  5. Deer on the trails...
    By Freak29 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 10-01-2012, 08:22 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •