mtbr member
    May 2009

New Carver O'Beast

So here is a picture of my new ride... *

For the last 2 years I have been riding a Salsa Mukluk year round and it was beginning to show its age. Only the brake levers and calipers remain from the original build. This time I wanted something that would beat me up a bit less on the downhills and in classic New England rock gardens but still be fat since that's what I like to ride. A higher bottom bracket was also on the wish list. Before the mukluk I was riding a Carver Ti 96er which was super comfortable and i had such a great experience with Bikeman I decided to get another Carver. I tried a couple at The Kingdom Trails Winterfest and decided to go with a 2012 O’Beast. I'm a big guy so went with a pretty solid build kit and steel where needed (inner chain ring, Hope free hub body, fork). There is no carbon anywhere on this bike and its still 30 pounds on the nose even with my bell, bottle cage, dropper post, Ergon grips, and beer opener. I'll get it down to below 30 pounds when i cut the steerer. it rides like a dream and is noticeably more comfortable over bumps but seems give up nothing on the climbs vs the mukluk. The lack of pedal strike with a slightly higher bottom bracket makes a big difference in the rough and I don’t feel any less stable. I went with Marge Lite rims / Q tubes / ultralight tires and the wheels feel much lighter than the Holy Rolling Darryl / light toob / ultralight combo on my Salsa. On my Salsa I use the HD rims and BFL’s with 100 Grip Studs each and I’ll probably use that wheel set in the winter on my O’Beast with a custom casette.

I have a friend with a 16” Carver so included a picture of both together - they make a nice couple!

The build:

20" carver O'Beast
    Cane Creek 110 headset
    Thompson stem
    Carver Ti prybar
    Ergon grips
    Enabler fork
    Gravity dropper turbo post with 3" drop
    WTB pro v saddle Ti rails
    XT drivetrain 11-36 rear casette
    Race Face turbine 22/36 crank (steel inner ring)
    XT pedals
    XT brakes with 185 ice rotors
    Marge lite rims
    Surly ultra new front hub
    Hope rear hub with steel free hub body
    Nate / Larry ultralight tires
    Q tubes

30.0 pounds
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Carver O'Beast-both-carvers.jpg  

New Carver O'Beast-20-carver.jpg  

Outcast
    Very nice bike; I'm jealous. Tell me please, what is your height, inseam length, and top tube length preference? Reason I ask is the 19 inch and 20 inch models are so close in size, and I would be looking to make that size choice decision some day.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Lookin' good. Enjoy!

ouch....
    Carver carbon fork would make a nice addition to a sexy bike like that
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I am 6' and have long limbs so have found a bike with a 24.5 inch top tube fits perfectly.The 20" carver with a 24.5 inch TT is the same length as my 19" mukluk. You can always use a set-back post with the smaller frame I suppose but I am addicted to Gravity Dropper seat posts which have no set back so I need to get length in the top tube. With the move from the 19" to 20" frame you also get a .6 inch taller head tube which raised me up a bit more which is good. The stand-over with bent top tube on this frame is a fair bit less than the mukluk

I could not find a black fork so had to go with a blue one for now. someday i'll swap that over to my mukluk to replace one with bent drop outs and the Carver will go Johnny Cash black. carbon fork - mmmmmm.....

Firestarter
    Hi, I have an existing wheelset of BFL on Clownshoes laced on a 170 hub. Would it fit on the new o'beast? According to the carver site only the bud/lou on clown shoes is prone to frame/tire rub. Has anybody tried this wheel/rim combination on the new o'beast?
    My secret is, I'm always HUNGRY!