mtbr member
    Feb 2011

The New Carbon Rims vs Surly Rims For Offset Use?

Surly rims are 64 hole with the spoke holes running more toward the rim edge vs the carbon rims which are 32 hole with the spoke holes running closer towards the center of the rim.

It does not seem logical for the carbon rims to be so; but are they more restrictive when built up with a large offset?
    Just like Fat Bikes...the posters on here can go anywhere...and do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sand Rat View Post
    Surly rims are 64 hole with the spoke holes running more toward the rim edge vs the carbon rims which are 32 hole with the spoke holes running closer towards the center of the rim.

It does not seem logical for the carbon rims to be so; but are they more restrictive when built up with a large offset?
    The Surly rims offset spoke holes work with the offset of their fatbikes to produce a wheel with relatively even spoke tension.

If you use a rim with no offset you will have less optimal spoke tension. How bad depends on how much offset your frame is built with.

You can use this website to mock up wheel builds and compare them:

Freespoke
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here. I doubt the carbon rim manufacturers are targeting the Pugs and Moonie, which make up the vast majority of offset frames.

mtbr member
    I have to agree with SmooveP. Kinda like putting a set of Volk Racing wheels on a F250.
    The LPG

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here. I doubt the carbon rim manufacturers are targeting the Pugs and Moonie, which make up the vast majority of offset frames.
    This was along the lines of my first observation of them. But what does not follow; is as they are so expensive, why produce a rim with a narrowed appeal? Whatever happened to the concept of producing a product to make money?

Is there more behind rejecting the thought of adding more spoke holes at a different spacing? Surely, it can't be a cost reduction move?

mtbr member
    Sand Rat......manufacturing spoke holes in a carbon rim is a pain in the arse.

Do you drill them? Do you mold them in place? In my opinion, the fewer the better for stiffness and longevity of the structure.

Carbon fatbike rims are sooo FINE to ride! They are for folks that subscribe to the idea that a light bike feels MORE FUN to ride. AAANNNNDDDD the idea that a light wheel-set DIRECTLY affects the FEEL because it is rotating mass.

The aluminum and titanium and carbon offerings from other manufacturers are POUNDS lighter than the Pugs and Moonie frames. .....and most of these offerings are symetrical.

.....edited to say what I meant...
    Last edited by E6roller; 10-06-2013 at 05:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    E6...going off of what you have said and remembering some of what I have read about carbon in the past...beginning to understand the complexity.

Thanks for the reply

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Maybe some people "GET" things differently then you, E6roller. You can't "GET" everything, so don't be silly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bevalhalla View Post
    Maybe some people "GET" things differently then you, E6roller. You can't "GET" everything, so don't be silly.
    Okay.

is it opposite of my experience that a light bike is more fu n for me to ride than a heavy bike? or what?

Did I offend you somehow?
    Last edited by E6roller; 10-06-2013 at 11:09 PM.

mtbr member
    If spending hundreds of $$$ and dozens of man hours pimping out a Wall-Beast makes sense...and by all the back patting in those threads it does...than carbon rims on a Pugsley on Moonie is not crazy talk in my books!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    PS.....

...my wife has an asymetrical 135mm 9Zero7....

....with carbon rims..

hah!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by E6roller View Post
    PS.....

....with carbon rims..

hah!!
    The 9zero7 is a nice ride I am not sure why people chose to ignore it in this discussion.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    If spending hundreds of $$$ and dozens of man hours pimping out a Wall-Beast makes sense...and by all the back patting in those threads it does...than carbon rims on a Pugsley on Moonie is not crazy talk in my books!
    Ha ha! At least with the Surly frames you're starting off with "good bones".

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by E6roller View Post
    PS.....

....with carbon rims..

hah!!
    Hey E6, are you behind any of the carbon rims that popped up at Interbike?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sand Rat View Post

Can't speak for the others, but the Borealis 85 mm double wall carbon rims are not designed to work with the offset required by the Pugs (17.5) or Moonlander (28). I don't see any problem with putting carbon rims on a Surly, the benefits would be the same, but it wasn't a consideration with the Borealis rims. Maybe if there is enough demand, a Borealis rim to accommodate offset could be offered in the future, but I think they will stick with the symmetrical design for awhile.
    Depending on the mold design of the other single wall carbon rims out there it may be possible to modify them or easy for the manufacturer to make an offset spoke row.

mtbr member
    Hey E6, are you behind any of the carbon rims that popped up at Interbike?
    SmooveP, No. Other than mine having been around long enough for folks to see them and GET the idea, I am not behind any of the crop at this years' Interbike.