Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    mtbr member
    I can say that I have just weighed my just delivered 100 mm Bluto and with the Maxle it was 1848 grams and when I shortened the steerer it was 1830 grams

turtles make me hot
    I did not weigh it while I had it but it was definitely lighter than the Carver fork by a healthy bit.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by troutie-mtb View Post
    I can say that I have just weighed my just delivered 100 mm Bluto and with the Maxle it was 1848 grams and when I shortened the steerer it was 1830 grams
    Quoted as 1796g so pretty much spot on considering scale variance. Thanks.

So many years in the making, everyone I'd seen with one couldn't wait to throw it on the bike. Scale be damned.

mtbr member

New Bluto Thread!

Okay the swap / modification is complete.

We made two 4mm shims one for each side. I will Tig them on next week.

Marty
    12 JamisDakar650B
    14 FarleyBlue,Bluto,i9-Hed,4.JumboJims
    14 FarleyBlack,Bluto,i9-WTB Scrappers,27.5+,3.5FatBNimble

aka bOb
    Look sweet W2Mb!! Everything go OK and as planned?

mtbr member

New Bluto Thread!

I had to dremel the bracket and the offset is close. I have a rotor shim on order and it will be perfect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Marty
    12 JamisDakar650B

Clueless Bastard
    That is so rockin...

mtbr member

New Bluto Thread!

Can't wait to ride it Saturday

Marty
    12 JamisDakar650B

mtbr member

New Bluto Thread!

Rode the bluto today. All I can say is Trek did a great job planning ahead for the Bluto as it forks flawlessly.

As for the bluto Holy sh!t what an improvement in handling and ride quality. Adding the Bluto to my Farley may have made this bike my go-to bike year round.

As for the Set Up I ran 10 psi on the front tire and it without a doubt tracked better them it ever has and I put a comfortable 6 psi in the rear.

It's possible that I may never take this fork off.

I used the lock feature on a few climbs however I'm not sure it was necessary as the fork barely moved while I was climbing even in the standing position.

Worth all the effort to get it fitted on the bike and very happy I made the swap.
    Marty
    12 JamisDakar650B

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Way2ManyBikes View Post
    Rode the bluto today. All I can say is Trek did a great job planning ahead for the Bluto as it forks flawlessly.

As for the bluto Holy sh!t what an improvement in handling and ride quality. Adding the Bluto to my Farley may have made this bike my go-to bike year round.

As for the Set Up I ran 10 psi on the front tire and it without a doubt tracked better them it ever has and I put a comfortable 6 psi in the rear.

It's possible that I may never take this fork off.

I used the lock feature on a few climbs however I'm not sure it was necessary as the fork barely moved while I was climbing even in the standing position.

Worth all the effort to get it fitted on the bike and very happy I made the swap.
    Finally, a review! Any downsides? Any handling quirks? Do you notice the weight?

mtbr member

New Bluto Thread!

Absolutely none.

It's exactly what the fat bike needed. Think back from when you went from a fully rigid bike to a suspension fork.

Never noticed the weight.
    Marty
    12 JamisDakar650B

mtbr member

New Bluto Thread!

How about the steamroller effect going over softball size rocks? Can you still just point and pedal or is there any bump steer?

Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member

New Bluto Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by thecanoe View Post
    How about the steamroller effect going over softball size rocks? Can you still just point and pedal or is there any bump steer?

I aimed for every rock, tree root & defect in the trail and it was just point and shoot.
    Marty
    12 JamisDakar650B

mtbr member
    Yesterday was the Day !!!!!

The Bluto turned my fat bike into my go to bike.

Saturday I rode the normal single track trails and it worked perfectly and Sunday afternoon I went to the technical single track that has every kind of obstacle you can imagine on a trail. From Skinny's to sharp rocks to rollers to fast tight switchbacks. You name it, it happens on this trail. While I was thrashing my bike around in comfort at speeds I personally have never ridden on this trail. My buddy on his 9 Zero 7 was working his ass off and being beat up by the trail. One thing is for sure he is calling Rich at R-Bikes and ordering up a Bluto today. I forgot to mention he even rode my bike on a technical rock bridge and he said it was like cheating it was so easy.

Thumbs up for SRAM coming out with the Bluto.
    Marty
    12 JamisDakar650B

mtbr member

Saturday I rode the normal single track trails and it worked perfectly and Sunday afternoon I went to the technical single track that has every kind of obstacle you can imagine on a trail. From Skinny's to sharp rocks to rollers to fast tight switchbacks. You name it, it happens on this trail. While I was thrashing my bike around in comfort at speeds I personally have never ridden on this trail. My buddy on his 9 Zero 7 was working his ass off and being beat up by the trail. One thing is for sure he is calling Rich at R-Bikes and ordering up a Bluto today. I forgot to mention he even rode my bike on a technical rock bridge and he said it was like cheating it was so easy.

The waiting just got harder! My Bluto has been delayed, and will be in my LBS at the end of august -_-

How much travel is your Bluto?

mtbr member
    End of August - that sucks !!!

Travel on mine is 100mm
    Marty
    12 JamisDakar650B

aka bOb

Glad you stuck with it and it's working out for ya.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Glad you stuck with it and it's working out for ya.
    If it wasn't for your post I would have never stuck with it. Thank you agian sir and I owe you a Beer.
    Marty
    12 JamisDakar650B

This place needs an enema
    I have a 100mm Bluto for sale here.

Ridden a handful of times, but in like-new shape.

Cheers,

MC

mtbr member
    Holy crap. Took mine out today. Absolutely awesome. Talked about it more here: FatBoy with Bluto?

Anyone know if the 100 can be extended out to 120?
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Anyone try a Bluto on a non-suspension corrected frame?

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    Anyone try a Bluto on a non-suspension corrected frame?
    Isn't your 22 made for a 468mm fork and a 44mm headtube? If you set one at 80mm all you would be raising it up is about 15mm the stack height of a lower external cup and a 3 mill difference in a-c if you run 20% ish sag. So that would only drop you H/A to around 69.8 ish with a 80mm and 68.8 with a 100mm. That's if the specs are the same as the new 22.

Edit: And if it clears your downtube and the tire doesn't hit under full compression.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Isn't your 22 made for a 468mm fork and a 44mm headtube? If you set one at 80mm all you would be raising it up is about 15mm the stack height of a lower external cup and a 3 mill difference in a-c if you run 20% ish sag. So that would only drop you H/A to around 69.8 ish with a 80mm and 68.8 with a 100mm. That's if the specs are the same as the new 22.

Edit: And if it clears your downtube and the tire doesn't hit under full compression.
    I have the tapered headtube, but I believe the geo of my frame was designed around a 450mm fork, which is what's on the bike.

mtbr member
    Now you have your Bluto what about protecting the seals from the trail crud
    this is a rough trial using a 5 litre plastic oil container

I will of course use Black ties if it works ok

mtbr member

New Bluto Thread!

Sweet

There are two types of mountain bikers. Those who are faster than me, and me.
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

Human Test Subject
    I don't have as much experience with suspension forks as I do magnesium pedals and winter riding. Should people be worried about the paint chipping and exposing the magnesium of the fork? That kind of sounds like a recipe for disintegration.

Clueless Bastard

Son of a biatch.....I was so convinced I didn't need to plunk down the 700 for one of these things for my Beargrease...now...well...hell.

Loser
    Bluto for $546 from Universal - use bikingisfun15 to get 15% off - I just checked and it seemed to work.

Just for grins I put a Bluto, Rolling Darryl, Salsa Hub, spokes and nipples in a shopping cart - it came out to $838 with the 15% off. Too much for me right now, have to see how things go later in the year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WA-CO View Post
    Son of a biatch.....I was so convinced I didn't need to plunk down the 700 for one of these things for my Beargrease...now...well...hell.
    Sorry man it's just freaking to Awesome not to have one. If you love fat biking this will make you sell all of your other bikes.

Last week I was on the Hot Rod Power Tour and planning to return home on Saturday and I was bummed that I didn't have my Fat Bike to ride. It used to be the other way around where my full suspension bike was my go-to bike and now it's my Farley Fat Bike without a doubt.

I did however ride my full suspension on Sunday and I notice that my Fat now rides exactly like the full suspension bike so there is no learning curve when you go back and fourth between the two bikes.
    Marty
    12 JamisDakar650B

turtles make me hot
    Sorry man it's just freaking to Awesome not to have one. If you love fat biking this will make you sell all of your other bikes.

Last week I was on the Hot Rod Power Tour and planning to return home on Saturday and I was bummed that I didn't have my Fat Bike to ride. It used to be the other way around where my full suspension bike was my go-to bike and now it's my Farley Fat Bike without a doubt.

I did however ride my full suspension on Sunday and I notice that my Fat now rides exactly like the full suspension bike so there is no learning curve when you go back and fourth between the two bikes.
    Cool. What were you driving on Power Tour?
    I like turtles

mtbr member

New Bluto Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Cool. What were you driving on Power Tour?
    Bright Yellow 2010 Camaro with black 1le Wheels on it. Next year my bike will be on the back for sure as we were so close to so many cool trails

Marty
    12 JamisDakar650B

mtbr member

New Bluto Thread!

I think it's awesome that people are loving the addition of the bluto so much. I know I'm digging the jebus outta mine, but I don't want to mislead anyone. FOR ME, the fatbike with bluto does not ride like a full suspension bike, and I would not sell all of my other bikes. If I lived somewhere where the trails were super buff, there wasn't a lot of chunk/ tech, or rocky/ rooty features, then, yeah, for sure. But then I probably wouldn't need a full sus rig anyway. Don't get me wrong, it can slay the tech/ chunk, but it still very much a hard tail- a soft hard tail, but still a hard tail. It's a different kind of riding- fun and capable, but different for sure.

mtbr member

New Bluto Thread!

I agree that it is not a replacement for a full suspension bike. But in the trails near Chicago this bike works great.
    Marty
    12 JamisDakar650B

mtbr member

New Bluto Thread!

^totally. Midwest? Hell yes, it could be my one-and-done all-season, all-rides quiver killer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Hey Way2manybikes which crown race did u go with on bluto Part# or link to it please.

mtbr member

New Bluto Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by BlackMamba2012 View Post
    Hey Way2manybikes which crown race did u go with on bluto Part# or link to it please.
    Marty
    12 JamisDakar650B

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Ok thanks Waytomanybikes

mtbr member

New Bluto Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by BlackMamba2012 View Post
    Ok thanks Waytomanybikes
    Your welcome
    Marty
    12 JamisDakar650B

Dirt Huffer
    Can someone tell me the outside to outside crown width of the Bluto fork?

New Bluto Thread!-bluto.jpg

mtbr member

New Bluto Thread!

8 5/8 wide
    Marty
    12 JamisDakar650B

mtbr member

New Bluto Thread!

Still as happy as can be

Marty
    12 JamisDakar650B

mtbr member
    Has anyone tried to change the travel to 80mm yet?........what air pressure and weight
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Bluto Thread!-image.jpg  

New Bluto Thread!-image.jpg  

Last edited by Fat907; 06-29-2014 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Pic

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Finally checked one out in person. i will stay rigid thank you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by demondan View Post
    Finally checked one out in person. i will stay rigid thank you.
    What didn't you like?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    It felt ok but looks low end. Just not for me.Glad people like the ones they are on.

aka bOb
    Mine pretty much looks like the same quality as every other RS fork, maybe not top shelf cool looking but the price doesn't really reflect that either. I'm more excited to see how it rides.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Bright Yellow 2010 Camaro with black 1le Wheels on it. Next year my bike will be on the back for sure as we were so close to so many cool trails

It can be done.
    New Bluto Thread!-071.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

banned
    Sep 2008
    i'll tell ya how it rides. it goes up and down and stuff. like every other sussy fork has done for the last 25 years. so innovative! :P

rog

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    i'll tell ya how it rides. it goes up and down and stuff. like every other sussy fork has done for the last 25 years. so innovative! :P

rog
    So do you have a lot of experience with suspension equipped fat bikes? Is the Bluto Flexy, does it run through it's whole travel to easy, or does it not use all of it's travel, will 100mm be enough or to much for my frame?

banned
    Sep 2008
    i don't, but i don't see how it's any different than a suspension fork on a nonfat bike. cept it's wider.

rog

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast