Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu-Max View Post
    Hey guys,
    I read somewhere about Borealis including some new Bluto Damper or cartridge with their echo bikes but cannot find the article anywhere now.
    Does anyone know the name or part number for this Bluto part?
    Thanks.
    Go thru the Bluto tuning thread

mtbr member
    RCT3............search?

Sup
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    1989 is on the phone

rog
    I wish than I could at least get a straight steerer
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    I was in a hurry, thanks.

'Calm Down'
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnt-Orange View Post
    I wish than I could at least get a straight steerer
    +1

-jw
    -

"And single-speeding 29ers are mountain biking's equivalent of Scientologists..." - Captain Dondo

mtbr member

Love

I have mine blown out to 120, RCT3 damper, Slick Honey, no tokens (170-175 kitted up)and it's working way better than I ever thought it would. Really impressed with it. It helps that it's on a 67.5 HTA, but this thing shreds.

New Bluto Thread!-img_0085.jpg
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    So I finally got a Bluto installed on my dropper equipped Salsa Beargrease XX1 and took it out for it's first this past weekend. On the Beargrease I needed new hub endcaps and the wheel needed to be re-dished.

The trail I took it to is called Chestnut Ridge and is in Canal Winchester, OH. Chestnut Ridge Mountain Bike Trail, Lithopolis village, OH It's relatively smooth single track with a little bit of rocks and roots but nothing that works the suspension too hard. Some nice short punchy climbs but not a lot of space to build up much speed going downhill.

The trail was wet in a few sections, so it was good fat biking conditions. I've ridden this trail multiple times with the stock carbon rigid fork, but the Bluto was day and night difference. With 9 psi in my front tire (Dillenger set up tubeless on HED Big Deal rims) the Bluto smoothed everything out. The front end was GLUED to the ground and any vibration/harshness gone. Felt like I could ride it for days. I had 120 psi in the Bluto and rebound 7 clicks from fastest (I weight about 180lbs gears). I had 9 psi in the rear and found it was bouncing a bit so dropped to 7 psi and it smoothed things out.

I'm looking forward to getting it out on summer more challenging terrain soon and will swap out the Dillengers for my summer tires (Larry front, Knard rear). However my early impression is that this is a must have for trail riding - absolutely loved it.New Bluto Thread!-2015-04-26-16.22.30.jpg
    Last edited by Kuttermax; 04-29-2015 at 11:02 AM.

mtbr member
    I felt the exact same way the Bluto is a game changer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuttermax View Post
    So I finally got a Bluto installed on my dropper equipped Salsa Beargrease XX1 and took it out for it's first this past weekend. On the Beargrease I needed new hub endcaps and the wheel needed to be re-dished.

The trail I took it to is called Chestnut Ridge and is in Canal Winchester, OH. It's relatively smooth single track with a little bit of rocks and roots but nothing that works the suspension too hard. Some nice short punchy climbs but not a lot of space to build up much speed going downhill.

The trail was wet in a few sections, so it was good fat biking conditions. I've ridden this trail multiple times with the stock carbon rigid fork, but the Bluto was day and night difference. With 9 psi in my front tire (Dillenger set up tubeless on HED Big Deal rims) the Bluto smoothed everything out. The front end was GLUED to the ground and any vibration/harshness gone. Felt like I could ride it for days. I had 120 psi in the Bluto and rebound 7 clicks from fastest (I weight about 180lbs gears). I had 9 psi in the rear and found it was bouncing a bit so dropped to 7 psi and it smoothed things out.

I'm looking forward to getting it out on summer more challenging terrain soon and will swap out the Dillengers for my summer tires (Larry front, Knard rear). However my early impression is that this is a must have for trail riding - absolutely loved it.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-04-26 16.22.30.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	217.2 KB 
ID:	984821
    Marty
    12 JamisDakar650B
    14 FarleyBlue,Bluto,i9-Hed,4.JumboJims
    14 FarleyBlack,Jackalope
    17 Farley 9.6 Under Construction

mtbr member
    I got a Moonlander for a great deal and really wanted the Bluto, but kept hitting road blocks so I cut and tig welded a tapered head tube in. rides great.New Bluto Thread!-20151117_135911.jpgNew Bluto Thread!-20151121_123159.jpgNew Bluto Thread!-20151121_125125.jpgNew Bluto Thread!-20151121_172624.jpgNew Bluto Thread!-20151122_120705.jpgNew Bluto Thread!-20151122_130104.jpgNew Bluto Thread!-20151123_144835.jpgNew Bluto Thread!-20151124_150323-1-.jpg

mtbr member
    You ^^^ don't fool around.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt123 View Post
    I got a Moonlander for a great deal and really wanted the Bluto, but kept hitting road blocks so I cut and tig welded a tapered head tube in. rides great.
    Holy-molly, you sir deserve a tip of the hat. Looks good as well, beats having to buy a whole frame just cause of the head-tube.

mtbr member
    Nice work. I am going to have to show this to a buddy of mine that want's to do the same to his Moonlander.

I got a Moonlander for a great deal and really wanted the Bluto, but kept hitting road blocks so I cut and tig welded a tapered head tube in. rides great.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151117_135911.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	1031780
    Marty
    12 JamisDakar650B
    14 FarleyBlack,Jackalope

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Way2ManyBikes View Post
    Nice work. I am going to have to show this to a buddy of mine that want's to do the same to his Moonlander.
    It might be a little side business , I'm doing one more for a guy and another guy is coming by to ride mine before he pulls the trigger.
    Last edited by dirt123; 12-02-2015 at 04:16 PM.
    2014 Gaint Anthem 27.5 3
    2015 Surly Moonlander w/ Bluto 120mm

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Hello Guys,
    Just a quick question, got my fatboy back from the shop today with a new Bluto RCT3 fork built in. Is the lockout supposed to completely lock the fork out? I can feel the difference between the 3 stages but it doesnt completely lockout.
    thanx for the reactions.

mtbr member
    Is there any interference with the crown / down tube?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampyPierce View Post
    ...Bluto RCT3 fork built in. Is the lockout supposed to completely lock the fork out? I can feel the difference between the 3 stages but it doesnt completely lockout.
    Sounds about right. The 'Lockout' isn't supposed to lock the forks, AFAIK. (I have a set here to be fitted, and the 3rd position just feels like it adds a massive amount of compression damping to the fork.)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Misterg View Post
    Sounds about right. The 'Lockout' isn't supposed to lock the forks, AFAIK. (I have a set here to be fitted, and the 3rd position just feels like it adds a massive amount of compression damping to the fork.)
    What Misterg said. The lockout is not a lockout, per se. It is a compression damper. 3 settings adjust how easily the fork compresses. In most fluid-based dampers, the settings basically open or close off ports where the fluid is flowing through as the fork compresses. For example- let's say there are 6 ports open when the fork is in "Open" or "Descend" mode. When you move it to the middle mode, it closes off two of those ports, making it harder for the fluid to move through, creating more resistance. "Lock Out" mode might close off two more, leaving only 2 ports open, thus more compression resistance. Few forks have a true lockout, as it would damage the internals.

FWIW, Rebound is the same concept, but it's how fast the fluid can return to the chamber (and can be similarly adjusted by opening/ closing off the ports/ valve that all the fluid through).

That concludes today's rudimentary lesson on suspension technology .
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Way2ManyBikes View Post
    will this Crown Race work for bluto and Specialized fatboy?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatbiker15 View Post
    will this Crown Race work for bluto and Specialized fatboy?
    It all depends on the headset that is on the bike. Your local bike shop should be able to help you out and may even have one in stock.
    Marty
    12 JamisDakar650B
    14 FarleyBlack,Jackalope

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234