Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    +1 - Good catch. Ya that would rule out most legacy fatbikes...definitely my Pugs.
    I feel better knowing this, as I otherwise would have been tempted to buy this fork, which financially would be foolish since I have only had the Lefty on the Pugsley since like October.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

The Dog.
    My big question is: why the new standard? As if we didn't have enough already.

If I'm going to have to build a new wheel to accommodate a fork, it is going to be with a lefty hub. Substantially lighter and with 32mm stanchions, quite a bit stiffer too I'm sure.

I just think that RockShox made a major blunder in not offering a fork that would bolt right up to most fatties currently out there.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogdude222 View Post

If I'm going to have to build a new wheel to accommodate a fork, it is going to be with a lefty hub. Substantially lighter and with 32mm stanchions, quite a bit stiffer too I'm sure.

I just think that RockShox made a major blunder in not offering a fork that would bolt right up to most fatties currently out there.
    a wider hub is the only way to accommodate 5" tires with that type of architecture. Obviously, you can't please everyone.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

The Dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    a wider hub is the only way to accommodate 5" tires with that type of architecture. Obviously, you can't please everyone.
    Why do you mean by "that type of architecture"?

Clearly a 5" tire fits with ease in a 135mm symmetric fork, ie Yampa, 9zero7, fatback.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Re: New Bluto Thread!

Why do you mean by "that type of architecture"?

Clearly a 5" tire fits with ease in a 135mm symmetric fork, ie Yampa, 9zero7, fatback.
    I think someone else mentioned that those forks can curve inward to fit the tire and still meet the hub. Shock stantions obviously need to be parallel to work and are round instead of flat. So to get all that around a 5" tire and still meet a 135 hub the axle Mount would be way off center from the shock lowers.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Don't know if it has been said yet or not, but will this fork work on the Fatboy Expert?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    I do welcome new suspension forks even if I prefer Lefties. It will obviously fit a Bud but what rim? If it won't fit a Bud on a CS it has missed the mark. Definitely not trying to be argumentative, just think that all new frames and forks should fit the maximum width tire/rims so all can enjoy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

IMO, QR's on a Fatbike are way too flimsy, I have converted mine to solid axle. I have a QR Front wheel on my 29er Hard tail with RS Reba, and it is quite flexy. Multiply that by the increased mass of a fat wheel and tire, it becomes obvious that Thru axle is a necessity, so a wheel build is in order for anyone, irregardless of hub width.
    My big question, like most above, is will there be a straight steerer option?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    According to the data that I have seen, it will fit a Bud or Snowshoe XL on the C4 103mm rim, so should take a Bud on the narrower CS without problems, at least at sensible tire pressures.
    The Bud (at least the ones that I have tested) have such slack tire beads that the tire grows a lot at pressures over 20psi (the beads try to climb up and over the rim wall, expanding the tire.)
    R&D Manager
    Diamant & Nakamura bikes
    Our fatbike videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/NDprototyping?feature=mhee

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    It is obviously speculation on my part but I think that is why it has a 150mm front hub.

Quote Originally Posted by gcappy View Post
    I do welcome new suspension forks even if I prefer Lefties. It will obviously fit a Bud but what rim? If it won't fit a Bud on a CS it has missed the mark. Definitely not trying to be argumentative, just think that all new frames and forks should fit the maximum width tire/rims so all can enjoy.

The Dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terp View Post
    I think someone else mentioned that those forks can curve inward to fit the tire and still meet the hub. Shock stantions obviously need to be parallel to work and are round instead of flat. So to get all that around a 5" tire and still meet a 135 hub the axle Mount would be way off center from the shock lowers.
    All that would be necessary would be dropouts that are 7.5 mm thicker on the medial side.

IMO, QR's on a Fatbike are way too flimsy, I have converted mine to solid axle. I have a QR Front wheel on my 29er Hard tail with RS Reba, and it is quite flexy. Multiply that by the increased mass of a fat wheel and tire, it becomes obvious that Thru axle is a necessity, so a wheel build is in order for anyone, irregardless of hub width.
    135 does not necessarily mean QR. The beargrease fork is 135 with a 15mm thru axle, as is the Yampa.

Nuts
    Trivial matters but Yampa is actually a 142mm, they probably don't promote it as a 142 as not to alarm people to new standards.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Maybe I missed it, but will this allow a 29+ on it?

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzwardo View Post
    Rumor has it yes one was spotted @ C Otter but....well like I said it was a rumor
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Trivial matters but Yampa is actually a 142mm, they probably don't promote it as a 142 as not to alarm people to new standards.
    Why does there website say it's a 135 then?
    "The 135mm front hub is designed around a 15mm thru-axle fork for added front end stiffness"

I have a new Hope hubset 135 front/190 rear arriving next week to build up a 29+ wheelset for my Yampa, Am I screwed?
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    "The 135mm front hub is designed around a 15mm thru-axle fork for added front end stiffness"

I have a new Hope hubset 135 front/190 rear arriving next week to build up a 29+ wheelset for my Yampa, Am I screwed?
    Nope your good my 135mm thru axle Hope actually measures 142. I really have no idea why they list it at 135mm. I will post pic when I get home.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Hope sells both 135x15mm and 142x15mm versions. I would assume that they're just different end caps.

Clueless Bastard
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzwardo View Post
    Salsa Cycles

Kid Riemer | April 11th, 2014
    Lucas - Bucksaw 1 and the Frame Only option will be the Blue color. Bucksaw 2 will be the Gold color.

Stefan - No, the bike is not 29+ compatible. The Bluto fork can fit it, but not the rear end of the Bluto. The difference in outer tire diameter from 3.8 fatbike tires to 29+ tires is too large.

Rocking on a Rocky
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepnpr View Post
    Don't know if it has been said yet or not, but will this fork work on the Fatboy Expert?
    With the inward curve of the down tube it should.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by gcappy View Post
    Fits Bud on a 100mm rim with plenty of room to spare.

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Fits Bud on a 100mm rim with plenty of room to spare.
    Mike do you happen to know if the hub is a true 150mm or actually a 157mm?
    And I love beer!!

ouch....
    If you didn't notice already, everything with fatbikes is going wider....every year. wider rims & bigger tires.

RockShox was pretty smart to go with a nice wide hub, because they can actually fit the widest rim & tire currently made.
    Not only that but they didn't make an upside-down fork which so many folks are scared of.

I think they knocked it out of the park on this one, great job!

I agree with you on the lefty but that's not what this thread is about.

Riding.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    If you didn't notice already, everything with fatbikes is going wider....every year. wider rims & bigger tires.

RockShox was pretty smart to go with a nice wide hub, because they can actually fit the widest rim & tire currently made.
    Not only that but they didn't make an upside-down fork which so many folks are scared of.

I think they knocked it out of the park on this one, great job!
    about sums it up.

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post

Sorry my bad I re measured and it is only 135mm for the Borealis fork.
    And I love beer!!

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Mike do you happen to know if the hub is a true 150mm or actually a 157mm?
    one fitty thru axle.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast