mtbr member
    Sep 2009

A new adventure

Guys / Girls,

I'm off on a bit of a ride. If you're interested have a look here;

crazyguyonabike.com: Bicycle Touring: 900 sand dunes, by Alan Melville

Enjoy.

Al.
    It seemed like a good idea!...... at the time......

mtbr member
    Awesome!! A REAL fat biking adventure!

Go Al GO!!!

It was this ride that was done by Jakub Postrzygacz in 2005 on his purple pug that lit my interest in fat biking
    Do it Al, do it!

mtbr member
    I've been looking forward to seeing this expedition.

Interesting to read about the trailer problem.

When the Surly guys were in the UK recently (Forth Fat and the SSEC) I was beating their ears about the need for a fat tyred Big Dummy - it's what I'd want if i was doing a similar trip. Unlike Alanm I'm still contemplating it and I don't like trailers )

Good luck and enjoy the ride.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

addicted to chunk
    Sound interesting! Quite the ride, enjoy
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    It's sucks when you're on a journey and a one off part brakes. I like the brotherhood shared between the people he contacted in his time of need...

Here, you can use my own custom trailer or someone would be willing to whip you up a custom part on short notice.

Good people.

Need more photographs tho.
    Where there is a hill, there's a way!

mtbr member
    Maybe a dumb question here. Just because ones riding a fat bike. Does, that mean that one needs a trailer with a fatbike wheel on it?

How is that a benefit and wouldn't that just add more unnecessary weight?

Also, when the trailer is loaded, wouldn't the wheel hight be adding to the lateral forces on the trailer causing a bit too much stress... Thus, thing's break?

PRETENDURO
    Wow, Ive read a couple articles about people bike touring the Canning Stock Route before. Looks like a hell of an adventure! Stay hydrated!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Solo Rider, not a dumb question at all, and yes, pics are a little short, but I'm now getting fitter and so more inclined to stop and take them, so, watch that space.....

The idea of the same wheel on the trailer is two fold. 1. It is a rear wheel and should things go really pear shaped, I can use it on either the front or rear of the bike. 2. Just as a fatbike distributes the weight of the rider and gear through a voluminous tyre, so to does a voluminous tyre on a trailer. When 30Kg, in this case, 30L of water, goes onto the trailer, one wants as much float in the sand as one can achieve, because towing weight is an extremely inefficient way to move weight. The idea of using a bed trailer, such as my BOB, is that I can carry any old thing on it, so, in my case, I was aiming to carry all my light gear on it and only putting excess water on it when required. This way the weight was basically static. The main water was to be carried on the rear of the bike, which, in theory, would make it easier to push up the dunes. It also meant the bike gets lighter as I drink the water.

When I first had the trailer modified, about 5 years ago, I gave the guy some drawings in order to keep the bed height the same. In essence, what that meant was I was only raising the pivot point of the rear axle by the difference of a 16" wheel 26" wheel. However, the bed was staying below that pivot point, so whilst there was an increase in lateral stresses, the assumption was, it wouldn't be too great. That was the theory behind the drawing! The builder chose to do it his way and the bed height was raised considerably, the result was hideous!!! I basically couldn't control the thing in loose stuff or down hills. I found and old dude to whom I took it, he just looked at me, I shrugged, gave him my original drawing, and he rectified it. Since then, I've had 45Kg in it at speeds of 60 KPH coming down hills!!

In respect to the broken towing yoke, it is quite old, and, in all honesty, had a hard life. I think there are two main contributing factors to it breaking; 1. When the weld was done in the factory, I'd suggest the current was a little high and there is obvious signs of undercutting. 2. MIG, which I'm pretty sure is how it has been welded, is, like stick, is notorious for being hot if not done correctly and crystallizing the parent metal, thus weakening it and allowing it to tear. Brazing doesn't do this as everything is heated to the temp and allowed to cool down at it's own pace, thus basically returning to it's native structure. It had torn along the weld. There is a third component, salt water from being immersed several times in it's life in the sea, but we wont go there eh!!!!! When I had a good look at the break, it was obvious the crack had started quite some time ago because there was a rusty section of crack. Also, on the other side of the yoke, there was an old hairline crack, I discovered it when I returned home and cleaned it all up to inspect properly. Now, it's adequately designed for what it's required to do but for what I do with it, it's not a particularly good design. I'll still have a custom made yoke manufactured, but I'll do it when I return home and the pressure is off.

Velo, mate, if you do the ride, I wouldn't go complete longtail, instead I'd go mid tail, I recon that's the way to go.

OK everyone, thanks for reading.

Al.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Al

Your write-up's already much more entertaining than mine was :-)

I reckon you'll have got all the teething trouble done early on and the rest'll be a cruise ;-)

Sorry not to be able to help with a trailer, and glad that Peter's come through for you.

I'm looking forward to more of your adventures.

Tom

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hey Tom,

Cheers man, and thanks for getting back to me quickly the other day. I'm quite enjoying myself I must say!!!!

Peter and I are organizing postage to Wiluna now. I've offered to buy his trailer, it may not look so shiny when it's been introduced to the AlanM family and then dragged over a few dunes........

I've worked out with some repacking, and using two sets of rear panniers, I can easily get through to Wiluna from where I stopped because water won't be an issue. (Famous last words....)

As for a cruise, sure will, absolute pushover, holiday in the sun.....

Al

mtbr member
    Al,

Thank you for the indept repliy to my questions. I look forward to some awesome photographs.

Hope, all goes well.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    I've been looking forward to seeing this expedition.

Interesting to read about the trailer problem.

When the Surly guys were in the UK recently (Forth Fat and the SSEC) I was beating their ears about the need for a fat tyred Big Dummy - it's what I'd want if i was doing a similar trip. Unlike Alanm I'm still contemplating it and I don't like trailers )

Good luck and enjoy the ride.
    My friend and riding buddy makes such a thing: Design Logic 'Da Phat' 100mm rims, Bud & Lou, all steel frame: Design Logic Bikes, cargo bicycles made in the USA

To the OP, good luck!
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram