mtbr member

Smile Need your bicycle knowledge

So ever since I found this forum, I have learned a ton of bicycle knowledge.

We are thinking about developing a carbon fat rim. But we need you guy's professional help here.

1. Do you prefer single wall or double wall rim? When people use single wall and when use double wall?

2. Is everybody fond of tubeless ready fat rims? What about single wall tubeless version? Since both can save some weight? When you are looking for a fat rim, is tubeless your requirement?

3. There is the cut out of many hollowed holes version. What are they for? Just for the sake of weight savings?

4. There is the important part of testing. What is the requirement before you decide to buy a rim? How much is the spoke tension, the direct loading, the torsion, the tire inflation and some other requirement.

Thanks so much....
    Q2 Cycling

Carbon Bicycle Parts Factory
    Manufacturer to Consumer
    sales@q2cycling.com
    Let us have more oxygen here

Rocking on a Rocky
    Number 3 save weight and add some colour.
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

Rocking on a Rocky
    Number 1 I would assume bike packers would like the add strength of a double rim.
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

Nuts
    A super light single wall tubeless ready 100mm rim for snow use would be greatly welcomed and a light 50-65mm double wall tubeless ready rim would fit in a lot of peoples diets for summer aggressive use. Whatever you do they all need to be tubeless ready and hold well down to 3psi.

The hole cutouts where originally for weight savings in aluminum and adding color was a bonus. Not sure how much weight it would save in carbon. I would personally say I don't need them and I would rather have the strength over color in a single wall rim.
    And I love beer!!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    A super light single wall tubeless ready 100mm rim for snow use would be greatly welcomed and a light 50-65mm double wall tubeless ready rim would fit in a lot of peoples diets for summer aggressive use. Whatever you do they all need to be tubeless ready and hold well down to 3psi.

The hole cutouts where originally for weight savings in aluminum and adding color was a bonus. Not sure how much weight it would save in carbon. I would personally say I don't need them and I would rather have the strength over color in a single wall rim.
    Or a mid-fat version around 85-90mm with double wall for those of us that can't buy two sets of carbon rims.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

MaverickMotoMedia.com

This.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Or a mid-fat version around 85-90mm with double wall for those of us that can't buy two sets of carbon rims.
    Those are out and readily available now. I guess 65's are as well just nothing from a quality low price company that I know of yet.
    Last edited by bdundee; 07-06-2014 at 12:25 PM.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    lightweight 65 mm

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Lightweight ~90mm single wall should suffice because I want the tire to be able to keep a round profile so handling is predictable. Tubeless ready would be nice but not critical for me unless you will have a rim strip designed specifically for the rim like Trek does with the Bontrager rims so I don't have to try all sorts of concoctions to keep it sealed. Call me weird but tubes have worked for 100 years and they will work for as long as I am able to ride a bike. I want good tire retention at low pressure (4-5psi in the cold) and reasonable edge protection with a 4.6 tire at 7 psi in the roots and rocks in the summer. It must also be able to withstand high spoke tension because flexy wheels SUCK.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by q2cyling View Post
    So ever since I found this forum, I have learned a ton of bicycle knowledge.

We are thinking about developing a carbon fat rim. But we need you guy's professional help here.

1. Do you prefer single wall or double wall rim? When people use single wall and when use double wall?

2. Is everybody fond of tubeless ready fat rims? What about single wall tubeless version? Since both can save some weight? When you are looking for a fat rim, is tubeless your requirement?

3. There is the cut out of many hollowed holes version. What are they for? Just for the sake of weight savings?

4. There is the important part of testing. What is the requirement before you decide to buy a rim? How much is the spoke tension, the direct loading, the torsion, the tire inflation and some other requirement.

Thanks so much....

1 = single wall because they are lighter and strong enough

2 = I can make most rims work tubeless so it's not a big deal

3 = save weight & look cool - doesn't affect strength

4 = I buy rims that lots of people have used [ie. Surly for fat and chubby applications] I know they work so I just use them and don't worry about it. I haven't been let down yet
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Whiskey 70's from qbp. The end

rog

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    Whiskey 70's from qbp. The end

rog
    $600 each not happening. The end
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    $600 each not happening. The end
    Oh ya, some folks have to pay retail or near retail. My bad

Can't wait for the whiskey 70 completes come September. Then it's just a simple phone call

rog

Nuts
    If I remember correctly the Whiskey rims are fairly expensive even at dealer cost.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    If I remember correctly the Whiskey rims are fairly expensive even at dealer cost.
    Depends on what you consider expensive, I guess.

rog

mtbr member

For a single wall carbon fat rim, if cut out, it can save around 70g for a rim.
    Q2 Cycling

Manufacturer to Consumer
    sales@q2cycling.com

Nuts
    For a single wall carbon fat rim, if cut out, it can save around 70g for a rim.
    As long as the strength in not compromised then why not have cutouts. Someone said above it does not compromise the integrity of the rim but as fat as I know there has been only one carbon rim to date with cutouts and and I have not heard of anyone using them.
    And I love beer!!

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Penty O folks using the Fatback Carbon Tubeless Ready rim with cutouts!

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by JordyB View Post
    Penty O folks using the Fatback Carbon Tubeless Ready rim with cutouts!
    Hey JB good to know, it's been very quite on those rims and I've been wondering what has been happening with em.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    As long as the strength in not compromised then why not have cutouts. Someone said above it does not compromise the integrity of the rim but as fat as I know there has been only one carbon rim to date with cutouts and and I have not heard of anyone using them.
    Cutout I think can be prettier. So we can single wall and we can cut out, as long as the strength won't be compromised. So strength first, light weight second...
    Q2 Cycling

Manufacturer to Consumer
    sales@q2cycling.com

mtbr member
    Hey JB good to know, it's been very quite on those rims and I've been wondering what has been happening with em.
    So I looked at the Fatback website, but I can only find the aluminum cut out rim. About the carbon tubeless ready one with cutouts, can you send the link? I want to know about the weight and other info. Thanks.
    Q2 Cycling

Manufacturer to Consumer
    sales@q2cycling.com

nothing to see here
    The 90mm rims on your website seem identical to the Nextie rims. In fact even the picture is identical except for your watermark. Would you care to explain the similarity?

Name:  q2.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  50.6 KB

26er Q2 Carbon Fat Bike Width 90mm Tubeless Compatible Double Wall Rim Weigh 680g
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob View Post
    The 90mm rims on your website seem identical to the Nextie rims. In fact even the picture is identical except for your watermark. Would you care to explain the similarity?

Name:  q2.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  50.6 KB

26er Q2 Carbon Fat Bike Width 90mm Tubeless Compatible Double Wall Rim Weigh 680g
    Sure. The rim is the same as Nextie bike. We sourced from the same factory. Before we can develop our own fat rim, I think it is legal for us to sell other factory's rims. Don't you agree?

PS: I think for consumers, the most importance is the product quality and the service from the company. It is not good things to put two companies together, which would upset the other company. Nextie is a very good company. I very admire their English, their marketing and their service.
    Q2 Cycling

Manufacturer to Consumer
    sales@q2cycling.com

nothing to see here
    Sure. The rim is the same as Nextie bike. We sourced from the same factory. Before we can develop our own fat rim, I think it is legal for us to sell other factory's rims. Don't you agree?

PS: I think for consumers, the most importance is the product quality and the service from the company. It is not good things to put two companies together, which would upset the other company. Nextie is a very good company. I very admire their English, their marketing and their service.
    I have no problem with you selling rims sourced from the same factory. In fact, I think this type of marketing can help to reduce prices, providing that quality is maintained.

I applaud you for approaching the fatbike community regarding desirable design qualities for your rims. Your honesty, communication and service will go a long way to ensure repeat business.

Regarding the rim design, I think single wall is fine providing that the spoke bed is sufficiently strong and there is some form of bead lock to allow low pressures, particularly with tubeless setups.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    So what about the fat tubeless tire? What kind of tires are you guys using?
    Q2 Cycling

Manufacturer to Consumer
    sales@q2cycling.com