mtbr member

Need some help with traction in mud.

I went out for my first group ride today with about 20 other people at a local place and had a blast. The trails were pretty muddy and I struggled the whole time, I was slipping and sliding all over the place. I'm running the stock tires Larry/Endo's with about 8psi. Are there any tire options that will help? I also ride a lot on the local rail trails so rolling resistance is an issue as well. Would the Husker Du work for me or should I just stay at home when the trails are a mess?

Thanks
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 3
    http://tincup69.blogspot.com/

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tincup69 View Post
    I went out for my first group ride today with about 20 other people at a local place and had a blast. The trails were pretty muddy and I struggled the whole time, I was slipping and sliding all over the place. I'm running the stock tires Larry/Endo's with about 8psi. Are there any tire options that will help? I also ride a lot on the local rail trails so rolling resistance is an issue as well. Would the Husker Du work for me or should I just stay at home when the trails are a mess?

Thanks
    Nate. Great grip in the slop.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    You reduce rolling resistance by having more pressure in the tire. I have the same tire set and I have found that in warm weather and mud I run with 15 psi and reduce the pressure if needed. I often bike on normal roads to get to the trails, verses driving to a spot with my car. To reduce rolling resistance I start with 20 to 25 psi on normal roads and when I get to the trails I set my tires up at 15 psi. If I want more float like in winter I will set my tires up around 8 psi. But for mud and normal trails I would set pressure at 12 psi or higher. I also carry a pressure gage with me so I can set pressure as I need it. Traction can come for pressure and is a combination of conditions and tire tread. Nates would help in mud, but I have found that they suck for snow.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I recently changed from Larry to Nate and the difference in traction (not just in mud but in general) totally blew me away... Definitely give them a go...

mtbr member
    I have found that the Endo, mounted backwards helps a lot (in snow anyway). It climbs much better and the tendency to sidestep has been greatly reduced.

I was going to drop the cash for a new tire, but have found this to help enough to ride it out

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Nates front and rear assuming you were having issues at both ends.

If you found Larry sufficient in front (assuming it's there) I'd drop the Endo like a bad habit for a Nate in the rear.

HuDu is decent, but shallow, tightly packed lugs are not that great for mud. Much better than Endo though....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

SS Rider
    I have the HD's on mine and they have been great all around so far, sand, dry dirt, snow, rock, but I only have had them on a little mud. Seemed great but hard to say until I have them longer we just don't have a lot of mud here.

mtbr member
    Agree with the Nate on the rear. Simply awesome traction (snow, in my experience) For a lighter and less expensive front solution try the Devast8er. Make sure you mount it reverse direction on the front so it stays clean and stable for traction. (again, snow for me).

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by nagant View Post
    Agree with the Nate on the rear. Simply awesome traction (snow, in my experience) For a lighter and less expensive front solution try the Devast8er. Make sure you mount it reverse direction on the front so it stays clean and stable for traction. (again, snow for me).

Origin8's are lighter? Did I miss something? The ones I have here at the shop are 2000+ gm boat anchors, but agreed, cheap.

I'd also consider their profile for front running. Rather square and Endomorph like, causing pretty significant self steering, particularly at lower pressures. Fine in back, front, less than ideal, particularly when other options exist.

Not pouncing on you, just spreading info you may not have been aware of...
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Origin8's are lighter? Did I miss something? The ones I have here at the shop are 2000+ gm boat anchors, but agreed, cheap.

I'd also consider their profile for front running. Rather square and Endomorph like, causing pretty significant self steering, particularly at lower pressures. Fine in back, front, less than ideal, particularly when other options exist.

Not pouncing on you, just spreading info you may not have been aware of...
    You are probably right on the weight. Maybe they just feel lighter than the Larry. That must be it. The Larry was a real dog for a steer tire and the Devast8er is really nice in the snow. It just seems to roll real nice.

Oh yes, on pavement, the combination of the rear Nate and front 8er makes the coolest sound.

mtbr member
    Nate. I have Larry/Endo and HuDus but the Nate is unbeatable in mud.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Nate. Great grip in the slop.
    Yep. The added rolling resistance will make you a stronger rider, too.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.