mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Need a little help: tire choices for Jones half fat (Rabbit Hole R/Marge Lite F)

Hi All,

Forgive my noobishness: I have a chance to buy a Jones with a 29er 50mm Rabbit Hole in the rear and a 26" Marge Lite in the front. Would the 3.5 Vee Rubber Speedster (or Black Floyd) in the front work well with a 29er tire in the rear? I ask because I'd like to set the Jones up for pavement/gravel/trail/all arounder without having to ditch the Marge Lite. So, I am looking for a good tire combo that will allow me to do so. Right now the bike has a Chunky Monkey in the rear and a 4.0 Floater on the front; I'm interested in something that will roll faster.

Thanks (and if my question is not clear I can rephrase).

mtbr member
    You could also ask this in the "Tai Jones" thread in the 29er section. Lots of Jones users there. I would try it out for sure, though I haven't used that specific tire. But the direction you're heading seems right. The overall outside diameter of the front wheel might be smaller than the rear, but not by much. And if you don't like, you just ride until you can afford a new front wheel, then keep the Marge as a backup, or put an aggressive fat tire on it to pair with the monkey for trail riding days.
    You're so cute internet tough guy. Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Man, thanks for reminding of that thread--I even subscribe to it! I will for sure ask there.

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    You could also ask this in the "Tai Jones" thread in the 29er section. Lots of Jones users there. I would try it out for sure, though I haven't used that specific tire. But the direction you're heading seems right. The overall outside diameter of the front wheel might be smaller than the rear, but not by much. And if you don't like, you just ride until you can afford a new front wheel, then keep the Marge as a backup, or put an aggressive fat tire on it to pair with the monkey for trail riding days.