mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Need help, rear wheel pops out going up steep hills on new 907

So overall I love the bike, it's super fun, the geometry is good for trail riding and it seems to we well made. However, I have one massive problem since I got the bike. The rear wheel, after anywhere from 15 minutes to 1 hour pops out. Of course it bends the brake rotors when it does this among other things.

It doesn't seem to matter how tight the QR is, sometimes is gives me a little warning and makes a noise a few minutes prior so I have to stop and re-adjust the QR. It's only on speed dirt uphill sections. It's fairly annoying, it's damaging the bike and rotors.

I am familiar with bikes, I have 7 bikes and a decent amount of riding experience on road and mtn bikes.

HELP. It's really no fun to ride when I know the wheel will come off and then I will have to spend a good deal of time once home trying to re-adjust the brakes and rotors.

mtbr member
    What skewer do you have?
    Did you buy it at a local bike shop?
    What hubs do you have?
    Can you post pictures of your dropouts?
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Not sure on most of the questions, it is the McGrath complete build so the hubs are 907 branded (not sure who actually makes them). Same is true on skewer, non branded?

Not local bike shop, unfortunately nobody in Tahoe has fat bikes, ordered complete package online.

Trying to post photos but uploader isn't letting me right now, even shrunk way down, trying a different Firefox, Chorme wasn't working.

I have them at 1.2 mb, 250 kb and 85 kb and can't upload. I will try again tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Have you checked your dropouts are parallel?
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckeemtb View Post
    Not sure on most of the questions, it is the McGrath complete build so the hubs are 907 branded (not sure who actually makes them). Same is true on skewer, non branded?

Not local bike shop, unfortunately nobody in Tahoe has fat bikes, ordered complete package online.

Trying to post photos but uploader isn't letting me right now, even shrunk way down, trying a different Firefox, Chorme wasn't working.

I have them at 1.2 mb, 250 kb and 85 kb and can't upload. I will try again tomorrow!
    OK now I am curious because I am waiting to get my new McGrath. I didn't know they were even shipping yet. Sorry you are having this problem. I would contact the guy's at fatbikes immediately.

mtbr member
    call chain reaction cycles directly. ask to speak with Jayme, he is the owner. 907.336.0383
    litespeed's break

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ak greeff View Post
    call chain reaction cycles directly. ask to speak with Jayme, he is the owner. 907.336.0383
    Yeah freak out and call the owner, like he's going to have any idea with the information provided by OP.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OFFcourse View Post
    Yeah freak out and call the owner, like he's going to have any idea with the information provided by OP.
    No need to freak. But with no local dealer who else would you call?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gcappy View Post
    No need to freak. But with no local dealer who else would you call?
    +1 - no need to freak out....just a polite phone call asking for some help. The guys that sell 907 want their customers to have a good experience.

And if there was a bad run of parts, frame issues or assembly issues - they will have heard from other customers and know what to do to solve it.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

NMBP
    Without knowing the build situation of the rear end, I can only say, immediately replace the QR skewer. I had a front skewer pop loose on a long downhill once, luckily I found all the parts on the trail. As soon as I got home, it went in the garbage. The QR is not an item that is allowed to fail.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Thanks, I did order some Hope Fatsno QR's and there is some paint on the dropouts. I will give 907 a call. Frustrating, I just don't have much time and want to ride when I do. It's been to some LBS's and they couldn't figure it out... but that doesn't mean a ton. Not freaking out, just want to get it sorted!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckeemtb View Post
    Thanks, I did order some Hope Fatsno QR's and there is some paint on the dropouts. I will give 907 a call. Frustrating, I just don't have much time and want to ride when I do. It's been to some LBS's and they couldn't figure it out... but that doesn't mean a ton. Not freaking out, just want to get it sorted!
    did you try paco's??

mtbr member
    I would like to see pictures of the rear hub. More specifically, where the axle comes into contact with the inside of the dropout. A good hub will have knurling to keep it in place inside of the dropouts. Also, a good quick release will have knurling for the same purpose. I would start by removing the paint on the dropout faces with a razor blade or some emery cloth. The Hope skewers will help, not too many options out there for 170mm skewers! Good luck man, and I hope the picture situation works out, its always good to see what we are working with!
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Photos

Sorry for the delay, the photo uploader has not been working?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need help, rear wheel pops out going up steep hills on new 907-2013-08-17-16.02.24.jpg  

Need help, rear wheel pops out going up steep hills on new 907-2013-08-17-16.02.32.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

One more photo

Lots of paint and inside of both dropouts are worn?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need help, rear wheel pops out going up steep hills on new 907-2013-08-17-16.02.54.jpg  

Elitest thrill junkie
    Oops. Insufficient clamping force with non-shimano skewers is a known problem. I don't know how you'd solve it with 170mm though...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Do you grease the lever for the QR? I find I can get it a lot tighter when it moves smooth.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Might try removing the paint at the clamping area = unable to get a clean bite?

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
    Maybe a silly question, but are you sure that derailleur hanger is fully mated to the frame? Looks a little like it's not quite seated right...that could be deflecting under the load when you're climbing and out pops your qr skewer.

Merendon Junkie
    Also check for any stripped threads.