dmo
    mtbr member

need help with picking a rigid fatbike

Looking into getting my first fatbike and not sure what direction to go with being a fatbike noob and all. I figure I'll use it during most of the winter and to some extent the rest of the year. (Too many bikes to ride, too little time) Based on early research I've found Salsa Bear grease, Borealis Yampa, 907 fatbikes look good. Are they all good or is one better than the other? Anything else that I've overlooked?

Thanks

Thingamejigger
    Sounds like you are looking in the right direction.... can't got wrong with any of those!

Biggest factor for me would be your closest dealer for one of the above so you can go have a look see.

mtbr member

It depends on how much money you want to spend and the quality of components. On the low end you have bikes direct, then pugsley, mukluk, 907, fatback, the new aluminum beargrease looks nice. The borealis and other carbon bikes are much higher price than steel like surly or alu like salsa mukluk. I have a mukluk 3 and have been using it all summer on every kind of terrain besides full out downhill.

For the money a mukluk or 907 is hard to beat.

I would stay in the 170 or 190 rear end because that is where technology is.

If you want the biggest wheel now get a 190 rear bike.

move on up...
    ^^^I LOVE my salsa mukluk , very versatile with the alternator dropouts. Do you want to have 5" tire capability?

mtbr member

A thread awhile back said folks were cramming a lou on a mukluk! They had the alternator on the last setting I guess. Not sure I want to try that experiment. I will probably run a 5" up front and a tweener in back this winter. Or maybe stud my nates then get something else for summer use.

banned
    Sep 2008
    The 2015 kona WO is really sweet. Single or geared. Nice package all around for under 2k.

rog

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: need help with picking a rigid fatbike

Quote Originally Posted by tundratrader View Post
    I would stay in the 170 or 190 rear end because that is where technology is.
    Yeah, everyone knows there aren't any good 135mm hubs out there. Hope, Chris King, Paul, Phil Wood, White Industries, Shimano, Rohloff... No technology there! All junk.

aka bOb
    I like the RSD the Mayor as well for value and overall coolness.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'd go with something that's at least suspension-ready. Beargrease will accept a Bluto. The Borealis Echo is designed for Bluto, but the Yampa is not. Not sure about 907. Look for option to run fattest tires if that's important to you. Tons of good options out there now and probably only a handful of people who've ridden a wide variety, so objective opinions may be hard to come by. Might be better to ask for negative opinions, buyer's remorse, etc.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Ya, the rsd mayor is tough to beat. Killer value!

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    I love my Pug. Period. End of (my) story.
    Think I may sell the 907 to buy a Straggler....

mtbr member
    I love my Fatback... I will be buried with it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 1spd1way View Post
    I love my Pug. Period. End of (my) story.
    Think I may sell the 907 to buy a Straggler....
    1sp1way, I am curious how the pugs ride compares to your 907? I have tried a few pugs briefly on sections of trail (never a full trail ride) and the pugs seems to have a really, really nice ride compared to both my 907 and other aluminum fat bikes that I have rode over the past few years. A lot of posts on this forum are touting the "new tech" but I think the 135mm bikes might be the answer. Any thoughs?

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    Badger, where I ride, the Pugs seems to handle better. It also seems unaffected when loaded up with racks and "stuff". Winter, it sports Surly's nice racks (three pounds each!), food, hot chocolate, etc. Rides the same as if it were unloaded.
    Summertime I strip it down, put on fenders and crank up the volumne!
    My wife says it's all in my head. She loves her 907.

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    One more thing, each time I rode my 907, I kept thinking, this would be perfect with a Fatlefty and a suspension seatpost.....
    Never thought that about the Pugs. (I did have Fatlefty on the Pugs for awhile Though.)

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    OP I'm in the same boat as you are. Live in MN and looking for a winter bike. Have test driven Pugsley, Moonlander and Mukluk 2. To me, so far, the Mukluk is the leader in the clubhouse...given what you can tell riding in 80 degree weather. I'm not into technical trail and single track...but tested the Mukluk on that terrain and think I might like to do more....inspires confidence (to the point of falling down three times and having a huge grin on my face). I'd like a bike under $2k though and the 2014 Mukluk2 is not on sale locally yet....so not rushing to whip out the checkbook.

Before I make a decision, one of my LBS guys said I should try a Farley, which I hope to do this week and I aim to get over the House and try a Minnesota 2.0. like that it's a local company (then again, so are the OBP brands) and the extra wheel set is intriguing since my only other bike is a hybrid (Giant Escape).

Considered mail order and have a neighbor who got a Motebecane FB4 and uses it for commuting but said he wanted something cheap and he's a bit of a wrench with a deep parts box...so not being a DIY kind of guy the BD option is just on the edge of my thinking.

Not sure what this contributes to the discussion since it's not a recommendation per se, just telling you about my journey/process of elimination so far. I'm also following similar threads trying to sort this decision out. Good luck with yours...

mtbr member
    I rode a handful of different fatties before I bought one, I couldn't afford one of the sweet carbon framed bikes, and I finally decided on a 907. Besides the feel and handling of the bike, I liked the lower top tube setup. I've crashed several times in the snow and it's nice having some extra clearance in that area. ;-)
    DaveH
    '15 Salsa Horsethief
    '13 9:ZERO:7
    '13 Trek Domane
    '16 Salsa Fargo

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Honeybadger View Post
    1sp1way, I am curious how the pugs ride compares to your 907? I have tried a few pugs briefly on sections of trail (never a full trail ride) and the pugs seems to have a really, really nice ride compared to both my 907 and other aluminum fat bikes that I have rode over the past few years. A lot of posts on this forum are touting the "new tech" but I think the 135mm bikes might be the answer. Any thoughs?
    If you're looking for versatility and ride quality, Pugsley with a 17.5 offset fork is the way to go. You can bikepack with it, smash singletrack, ride snow sand and muck, all competently. You can set it up fully geared, SS, fixed, IGH, 29+, swappable front and rear wheels, whatever. Good times.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    Yeah, everyone knows there aren't any good 135mm hubs out there. Hope, Chris King, Paul, Phil Wood, White Industries, Shimano, Rohloff... No technology there! All junk.
    For some reason I'm not sure that tt was alluding to the above brands as junk. While a few years ago 135mm was 'the standard' and new tech such as improved IGH and belt drive were being developed, I agree with tt that 135mm based products is not where fatbiking is headed. 135mm still has a place and will occupy a niche in the fatbike world based on a persons desires/need and the availability of great/available products that you've highlighted. The pendulum is still swinging toward fatter and developing products more in line with the new standards of 190mm & 5" and the incorporation of existing tech into fatbikes (suspension, thru-axles, tubeless, materials, etc..). Examples of this is the 170mm IGH, the fact that 9zero7 is no longer producing a 135mm frame, the proliferation of carbon frames, and the availability of suspension.

As to the OP, I don't think you can go wrong with any purchase, 190mm or 135mm. If you're gonna ride it mostly on snow, I'd point you towards geometry and standover height. I think weight will always be an issue regardless of where, when, and how you ride, so build as light a bike as you can afford. I wouldn't worry about suspension especially if you have a 'summer' bike and will use your fattie primarily on snow.