Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    12

    Need help picking cogs.

    Will be building a single speed surly wednesday, sometime next week.
    It's the first time I'm building an entire bike and I don't know anything about gear sizes.

    What would you recommend?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,190
    Those fine folks at Surly have you covered. Single Speed Gearing 101 | Spews | The Information Hole | Surly Bikes

    When my Wednesday goes to SS mode, it'll be 30x19. Because that's what I have laying around. That ratio worked well on my old Mukluk.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,547
    We have no idea your fitness or the terrain you intend to ride and at what pace. Help us help you.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    We have no idea your fitness or the terrain you intend to ride and at what pace. Help us help you.
    Fitness level is decent, I'm about 165lbs with a slightly t-rex muscle distribution. Decent cardio.
    Terrain is gonna be mostly dirt and snow, mountain trails in every season. Hills and such. I'm not going to do any really deep snow. Some road (I will be using the bike to go places, even if it's not gonna be the main use for it), I doubt I would do sand.
    I'm not looking for something extremely fast, I won't do any kind of racing or steep downhill. I'm not planning on taking as much time as possible either. In other words, I'm willing to lose a bit of speed on flat ground for a better climb, without completely killing it. I will be doing long-distance rides.

    Did I miss any important detail?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    Those fine folks at Surly have you covered. Single Speed Gearing 101 | Spews | The Information Hole | Surly Bikes

    When my Wednesday goes to SS mode, it'll be 30x19. Because that's what I have laying around. That ratio worked well on my old Mukluk.
    Will definitely check it out, thanks.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    982
    I run a 33-24 with 4.8 tires and it works really well for the local terrain and my riding style. I like to sit and spin. Do you spin or mash?
    Lucky neighbor of Maryland's Patapsco Valley State Park, 39.23,-76.76 Flickr

  7. #7
    WNC Native
    Reputation: nitrousjunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,199
    What kind of elevation gain per rides?

    I'm rolling 32x22 on my SS fatty, most of my rides are minimum 100' gain per mile. Some trails are 800' gain per mile.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by shoo View Post
    I run a 33-24 with 4.8 tires and it works really well for the local terrain and my riding style. I like to sit and spin. Do you spin or mash?
    I tend to spin more. I havent decided on the tires yet, but they most likely will be 4".

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    What kind of elevation gain per rides?

    I'm rolling 32x22 on my SS fatty, most of my rides are minimum 100' gain per mile. Some trails are 800' gain per mile.
    I don't know how much, I'm not familiar with elevation gain. I'm getting a fatty because I'm tired of riding on road, I'm not planning on a specific kind of terrain or elevation. There's a few mountains I've already planned on climbing, but I also intend to go on longer rides for camping.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SalsaSalsa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    85
    Are you set on SS? You could solve all these problems by going 1x11. Or at least going dinglespeed gives you two options. The problem with SS on a fatty that you do roads and dirt tracks is how hard it is to get the bike up to speed, but once it is up to speed it wants to go fast. On pavement I regularly go over 35mph, but on dirt singletracks I average closer to 5mph. Those two speeds don't call for the same gear set up. Unless you are doing mostly flat cruising you will be switching from mashing to spinning to coasting on any rides with big elevation changes.

  11. #11
    Is dang happy!
    Reputation: Mr. Doom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,229
    Quote Originally Posted by SalsaSalsa View Post
    Are you set on SS? You could solve all these problems by going 1x11. Or at least going dinglespeed gives you two options. The problem with SS on a fatty that you do roads and dirt tracks is how hard it is to get the bike up to speed, but once it is up to speed it wants to go fast. On pavement I regularly go over 35mph, but on dirt singletracks I average closer to 5mph. Those two speeds don't call for the same gear set up. Unless you are doing mostly flat cruising you will be switching from mashing to spinning to coasting on any rides with big elevation changes.
    Agree, "hills" and "road" require different setups, I have four SS bikes for this reason, but only one fatty and it has gears.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by SalsaSalsa View Post
    Are you set on SS? You could solve all these problems by going 1x11. Or at least going dinglespeed gives you two options. The problem with SS on a fatty that you do roads and dirt tracks is how hard it is to get the bike up to speed, but once it is up to speed it wants to go fast. On pavement I regularly go over 35mph, but on dirt singletracks I average closer to 5mph. Those two speeds don't call for the same gear set up. Unless you are doing mostly flat cruising you will be switching from mashing to spinning to coasting on any rides with big elevation changes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Doom View Post
    Agree, "hills" and "road" require different setups, I have four SS bikes for this reason, but only one fatty and it has gears.
    I get that, but speeds severely annoy me. I understand it'll be a bit slower on road and bit less efficient on dirt even if I do get a good middle-ground cog setup, but I'd still rather put in a bit more leg than have speeds.

  13. #13
    wanna ride bikes?
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    3,419
    I agree with Nitrousjunky, 32-34:20-24. It's a low gear but you'll need a lower gear than normal on a fatbike.

    there's a wealth of information on Sheldon Browns website. you should get familiar with Gear Inches. Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Gear Calculator

    You may need to try a couple different ratio's before you get it dialed in which is OK, it never hurts to have a few extra cogs laying around. You'll also want to run a different ratio in summer vs winter. Also if you ride regularly you may notice your fitness increases and you want a bigger gear.

    Get your chainline right from the start. you'll figure out gear ratio's as you go.

    Also, I highly recommend you use a chain tug on the drive side for SS with the Wednesday. My axle slipped no matter how tight i cranked on it, until i installed a tug. now it's solid. The dropouts are a funny shape, i had to modify a tug i already had with a dremel to get it to fit.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    29+

    SS cyclocross
    all steel

    "Fully rigid" isn't a thing.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    I agree with Nitrousjunky, 32-34:20-24. It's a low gear but you'll need a lower gear than normal on a fatbike.

    there's a wealth of information on Sheldon Browns website. you should get familiar with Gear Inches. Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Gear Calculator

    You may need to try a couple different ratio's before you get it dialed in which is OK, it never hurts to have a few extra cogs laying around. You'll also want to run a different ratio in summer vs winter. Also if you ride regularly you may notice your fitness increases and you want a bigger gear.

    Get your chainline right from the start. you'll figure out gear ratio's as you go.

    Also, I highly recommend you use a chain tug on the drive side for SS with the Wednesday. My axle slipped no matter how tight i cranked on it, until i installed a tug. now it's solid. The dropouts are a funny shape, i had to modify a tug i already had with a dremel to get it to fit.
    Great, thanks. I will look into all that.

Similar Threads

  1. Which cogs? $$
    By dledinger in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 08-19-2015, 01:11 PM
  2. JBC cogs?
    By buddhak in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-14-2012, 08:34 AM
  3. I9 SS hub, how many cogs can you fit on it?
    By Fulton in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-15-2011, 03:08 PM
  4. Which cogs to buy
    By dw67 in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 02-28-2011, 06:43 PM
  5. New cogs
    By OnForm in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-12-2011, 08:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •