mtbr member
    Oct 2017

Need Granny Gear Suggestions

I have a Gravity fatbike that I have turned electric as my hunting machine. It has the stock cassette on it listed below, of course I donít know what all those numbers mean

Shimano Cshg318134 11-34T-8-Index

Currently I have a Sturmey Archer 3 spd hub on it but that thing is just not versatile enough for me, to get any sort of granny gear really limits my top speed and Iím having shifting issues with it.....

sooooo.... Iím going back to the cassette but looking for something better, stronger and a granny gear.

recommendations?

please in your responses consider me a total rookie with all of this bike terminology

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Also the original reason for going with Sturmey Archer was many in our group have been breaking derailers due to grass, weeds etc on our hunting property, may also want to upgrade that as well, currently have SRAM Rd-x4-a1 silver cage.

mtbr member
    Shifting problems on a Sturmey-Archer are almost always down to the cable being damaged, run in too tight a curve, or simply maladjusted.

The adjustment must be done to the mark exactly or there will be shifting issues. Also when changing gear, it is necessary to lighten up foot pressure - most people slightly back pedal during a change (think of it like a car manual gearchange without clutch or synchromesh).

Pictures of your setup are needed for us to comment accurately.

Edit: Perhaps you should look at the Rohloff hubgear.
    Last edited by Velobike; 1 Week Ago at 02:41 AM.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57ļ36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by alaska_av8r View Post
    Also the original reason for going with Sturmey Archer was many in our group have been breaking derailers due to grass, weeds etc on our hunting property..
    Bushwhacking through grass is a derailleur breaker in my experience as well.

Rohloff sounds like a good pick to me too, but an expensive one. They last forever, so maybe used?

https://www.rohloff.de/en/products/speedhub/variants/
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Judging by the cassette description, you've got an 8 speed.

The only alternate cassettes I've seen with more on the granny side are https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...08&category=42 with 40T(teeth) and https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...08&category=42 with 48T and specifically marketed for E-bikes, for that that's worth.

I'd question your existing rear derailleurs' capacity to shift to that large of a ring though. You might end up needing a new derailleur.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Thanks for the input, a bolt broke holding the rear cargo rack over the rear wheel and hit the SA shift cable, I have been troubleshooting the rear hub, however I donít like the limitation of 3 speed hub and not sure I want to spend the money on the rohloff right now.

So that is why Iím looking at going back to the cassette idea to gain more range, but do need better hill climbing than original cassette provided.

Tim

mtbr member
    You could also put a smaller front chain ring on. This has the same effect as a larger gear in the rear, but it also reduces your top speed, so it may not work for you.

Depending how worn the other components of your drivetrain are you may find changing just the cassette or the chainring will lead to the chain skipping under pressure.

Tim

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I have several chain rings of various sizes for the front, if I have to upgrade the derailer what would be a good tough one? With th3 electric motor I do have chain line issues but the stock cassette was working well, just didnít have a low enough gear.

Also is it possible to mount the cassette backwards since I spend most of my time in lower gears?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Top notch 8 speedderailleurs really are hard to come by since the industry has moved on. There may be some downhill stuff available, Iím not sure. You may be able to limit 9 speed derailleurs, not sure the shift spacing may be off. This may be a case to go with a friction type shifter.

SRAM makes one to compliment the cassette I posted. Probably more spendy than non ebike versions.

You canít mount the cassette inside out. The derailleur wonít follow the profile and the shift ramps will be ineffective.

If your chain line is biased towards the outside you can get spacers to put inboard of the cassette on the hub. Of course you must then remove some smaller gears on the outside to compensate the width change.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Bme Iím not opposed to getting a new cassette and derailer and the idea of spacers sounds good, would like a larger sprocket on that cassette though

maybe just get a new 9 speed cassette and derailer to match and 1 to 2 spacers to shift it outboard with 7 speeds, if I were to go this path, what would you suggest fo4 quality, Iíd like to make the bike near bullet proof but donít know enough to recognize quality.

also do they make it where you can choose what you want on the cassette?

tim

mtbr member
    Derailleurs aren't bullet proof.

Because they hang low, they catch on vegetation and rocks if you venture off track. This can damage the derailleur hanger (you should carry a spare).

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Thanks for the tip Velo

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Okay after the suggestions you guys have made I am looking at a rohloff, however I canít find a used one yet so I may have to go new.

After looking at their website, Iím not exactly sure which one I need, the fat bike is a gravity monster (1500 watt electric bike) with vertical dropouts, I have to check but I think itís 170mm width so Iím looking at Speedhub 500 14 spd XL, CC hollow axle, disc brake, external gear.....but I have no idea about the torque anchoring apparatus?

Also, the bike came with quick release axle originally, but the sturmey archer was threaded axle, Iíd like to return to the quick release unless there is some reason I need a threaded axle.

So which of those hubs should I be looking to buy?

Thanks for your help!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alaska_av8r View Post
    ....but I have no idea about the torque anchoring apparatus?...
    Depends on the bike frame.

If it is a standard QR dropout type, then what you are looking for is a part called a Rohloff Speedbone. Some bikes come with a dropout designed for Rohloff, and these can be identified by an extra long left hand side dropout.

Probably the best bet is to email Rohloff with details of your bike including pics of the dropout area and measure the width to be sure it is 170mm.

It's an expensive bit of kit, so you want to be sure to buy the right model.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Tks velo