Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Need advise, first fatty.

Want a fat bike!!! But don't want to repeat my mistake that I made with my 29er ht. Bought entry lvl to save money and upgraded over time, after I buy my tower pros for it, I could have bought one of the 2 bikes I really wanted and already have Shimano brakes.

Mtb club im with has a big group of fat bikers cause winter here is prime for them. Seeing them im action and test riding one has me dying to get one, so saving or building one by this coming fall. Building one option is why im posting this now.

Goal is set at $2k, as Fatboy that I like is that price.

First concern is im a clyde, dont want a rear freewheel thats going to **** out on me easily. My m529 rear hub on my 29er is like new after 1 season of beating the hell outta it (noobish rider thats big, so just hard on things).

SO it comes to one of 3 options.

Buy a higher end frame (9zero7 has an orange one I really like) and try to build at or below budget while trying to keep weight at or below 30lbs. I have cassette, stem, bars, brakes already that would be used. But frames are $900ish....$300+ just in wheels

Buy one ready to go, but end up changing a couple things. IE fatboy I would swap to my bb7 brakes and changing grip shift for trigger. But fan of shimano over sram so see that being changed too.

Buy a budget one (motobecane or framed) and upgrade wheels (weight and durability of stock ones pending), tires, rear hub, brakes, etc. This route would get me on a fatty sooner but not sure if making it to my liking would run me well over budget.

I have this thing with Orange, so orange frame or black that could be trimmed out in orange is my other goal. Sadly so Fatboy in orange or black/orange.

And I do enjoy working on/building my bikes but wasting money excessively like I did with my 29er is a lesson learned and to be avoided again.

Thnx

Sent from my Nokia Stupidphone using Tapatalk
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    If you want orange and like the 9:zero:7 then, that's you frame and fork sorted.

Fatbikes will help you with wheels also. I have hope fatsno hubs that have been very reliable.

30lbs is quite a target for your budget if you want a self build, but you seem to have some bits already. Perhaps just buy a few bits as you go along and then you will have the bike you like in the fall.

Nuts
    You are underestimating the price of a wheelset by a long shot.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I just got a KHS 4season. great bike. if you budget is $2000 you will still have money left to get it painted orange.
    4 SEASON 3000 | KHS Bicycles

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    You are underestimating the price of a wheelset by a long shot.
    100% agree on this. I ended up paying about $1000 for mine. If you mean tires, then that seems more in the ball park.

If you can up your budget to $3000, I think it is possible to build up something the way you want.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    You can't go wrong with a stock Pugsley.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    You're a clyde, stop worrying about bike weight and worry about rider weight. Build up whatever fits in your budget and go riding. As time goes on, upgrade when things break or you get bored.

Sincerely,

Fellow Clyde on a gorgeous orange fatbike that cost well over $2k and weighs well over 30lbs.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bobkorn View Post
    Agreed! Add $100 for an orange powdercoat job and $15 for new decals and you'll have a great performing fatbike that will still be well under your budget.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

Nuts
    If I was going to buy a complete I would look at these guys.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/RSD-B...99341806841706
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobkorn View Post
    or one thats built up and has the orange he seeks..

2012 medium pugsly - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

mtbr member
    I never understood why so many people care sooooo much about weight. If your a big boy then that shouldnt even matter. You can probably drop weight off your self and make up for weight vs money that way.

I bought a Nashbar Fat Bike. It seems to be a somewhat clone of the Pugsley. Looking around at all the mid price range fat bikes you are going to get similar stuff. Sram X5/7 or Shimano Deore/SLX. External BB if your lucky and most will have BB5-7 brakes. If your riding in the winter with heavy snow or areas that are normally not your average trails chances are you probably might snap off your Rear derailleur or what not. If you get a nice solid bike / frame will mid level components just replace things as they wear out or break.

But at a Clydesdale weight I can almost put money on it you will not notice the difference in weight of Sram X5 to a Sram X7/9 Rear Derailleur other then your wallet getting lighter. And most hyro brakes weight is around the same as good Mech brakes. + Less maintenance no need to bleed and if things get mushy just adjust cable!

And its a FAT Bike not a Carbon Single Speed 29er or Full Carbon Dura Ace Road Bike. The tires and tubes alone are probably more then my road bike.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by fatso View Post
    I just got a KHS 4season. great bike. if you budget is $2000 you will still have money left to get it painted orange.
    4 SEASON 3000 | KHS Bicycles
    Just curious what's the widest tire you can get on the KHS?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Look at salsa Mukluk 3 and surly Pugsley both will fit your budget and are well set up. They aren't orange but you might like them anyway. You should try to ride as many fat bikes as you can. There might be one that really works for you. Of course then you will have to explain why you need to spend $6000 for a fatbike.
    Don't get too hung up on what they weigh, the rolling resistance on snow or sand makes that pretty irrelevant much of the time. Other options Kona Wo, Specialized Fatboy, and trek Farley.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpyride View Post
    Just curious what's the widest tire you can get on the KHS?
    I'm sure a true 4.7 would fit in the back. Tons of room up front. I have the vee snowshoes, but they aren't much bigger than a 4.0. That is on an 80mm rim.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by fatso View Post
    I'm sure a true 4.7 would fit in the back. Tons of room up front. I have the vee snowshoes, but they aren't much bigger than a 4.0. That is on an 80mm rim.
    Thanks for the info. How are you liking your snowshoes?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpyride View Post
    Thanks for the info. How are you liking your snowshoes?
    They seem pretty good. I only have one short ride on them. We have been getting snow dumped on us the last week. I have been skiing and waiting for the trails to get packed down a little. We just got another 5" of heavy wet snow today. It is supposed to get cold again next week, so it should be about perfect.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I ordered a pair from On-one during Christmas, but they had a glitch in their system, and I'm on back order status, so I'm just waiting. Everything going well with the 3000?

Edit: That was supposed to be Floaters. They were only $104 shipped.
    Last edited by Bumpyride; 02-01-2014 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Wrong Tires

mtbr member

Need advise, first fatty.

When I considered a fatty, really my one main concern was fitting the widest tires currently available. That narrows the search considerably. Ended up with a 190mm 9:zero:7 with Bud and Lou, and do not regret it one bit. I can always run skinny tires, but most cheaper fatties can't run a 4.7/4.8 out back. And where I ride, it absolutely makes a difference.
    Last edited by Qyota; 02-03-2014 at 06:16 PM.
    190mm 9:zero:7, Bud & Lou on HRDs, X9 crank running 1x10.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I agree to an extent. If you are just riding trails, 4.0 is probably fine. If you are riding in the snow or beach areas, bigger is better. I don't know 190 is necessary, plenty of 170 bikes will fit 4.8. It will be interesting to see what the standard becomes.

mtbr member
    Ok so I will worry less about weight as I've been loosing weight for a couple years now by eating right and riding. But I've ridden a 40lb WalMart bike before and that vs my 29ish lb 29er ht I did notice. Didn't realize fatties were pricey if u want the weight down.

Guess I miss judged wheelsets. Looked at stuff on universal just to get ideas and that's where I got price range from.

That mellows things out a bit. But from experiences so far hows the entry fatbikes holding up? Liking the framed Minnesota white and orange one too lol.

Not wanting a surly the whole offset wheel thing bothers me lol.

Trek Marlin 29er

mtbr member
    Your 40lb Walmart bike also probably had terrible gearing, felt like a snail, a shock that had no rebound and pogo sticked around and would fall apart over one bump but my 1992 steel framed road bike with 105 and my 2013 full carbon road bike with Ultegra run almost the same times on my Avg speed during my rides. You can give any skilled rider a junker and they will ride it just as good as high end bike. I am not saying I am some amazing rider but I can ride a blah bike just as well as I can ride a solid bike. Sure comfort will never be the same but just because you are on carbon doesnt make you fast.

My point is weight isnt always everything. Getting a well set up bike is going to suit you better. Fitting, Gearing ratio stuff like that.

Nuts
    $1850 29 pounds without pedals Black Only in Medium or Large We will offer XL for April onward
    RSD Bikes website sucks!!
    Specs are:
    44mm Head Tube
    100mm Bottom Bracket with ISCG-05 mount
    190mm rear spacing
    30.9mm Seat Post
    ISCG-05 Tabs
    Dropper Post cable guide routing
    FD cable stop
    Rack mounts

Components are:
    AL6061 Frame
    Carbon Fork 468mm 135mm spacing
    Cane Creek ZS-44 Headset
    BB7 brakes
    X7 10spd shifter / Derailleur Type 2
    Race Face Turbine 32T NW ring crank 175mm
    SRAM 11/36 cassette
    Easton EA70 bar, stem and post
    Race Face Atlas saddle and grips
    26x80mm rims
    4.7in Vee Rubber Snowshoe tires

Geo is:
    69 Head Angle
    73 Seat Angle Medium - 72 Seat Angle Large
    585mm Top Tube Medium - 610mm Top Tube Large
    490mm Seat Tube Medium - 540mm Seat Tube Large
    130mm Head Tube Medium - 140mm Head Tube Large
    465mm Chainstay
    325mm Bottom Bracket Height
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need advise, first fatty.-1488305_459738520802033_1846769752_n.jpg  

And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Oh should have clarified, trail riding will happen, but snow covered mostly. This will be for snow riding and "stomping" during fall/winter months (or anytime they pit together a fatty stomp). No more than 2-3 in most cases but ability to fit a rarely wide set of tires would be a +

Btw that is a nice fatty^^^ didn't even know of that brand, still doing my homework here.

Trek Marlin 29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ian0789 View Post
    I never understood why so many people care sooooo much about weight. If your a big boy then that shouldnt even matter. You can probably drop weight off your self and make up for weight vs money that way.
    Being out-of-shape makes weight matter to me. Not to the point of being a weenie about it, but having to push/carry a 30-lb bike any distance vs. a 40-lb bike does make a noticeable difference. Plus, I ride for my dog, and need to make every pedal stroke count for as much distance as I can, for her sake. If it were just about me getting in shape, and pushing/carrying didn't come into play, then no, another 10 lbs wouldn't be a big deal unless I want to keep up on group rides before I'm back in shape...

Also, being a big fat dude on a big fat bike with longer chainstays, means I'll get considerably more enjoyment out of riding the easier it is for me to pop that front wheel up. Once I'm fit for longer rides I'll get another fork with some mounts on it; in the meantime I've decided on the Carver carbon fork due to its bang-for-the-buck on having a lighter front end. Carbon tubeless rims to keep the rolling resistance down is pricey, but beyond that I don't really care about the weight, shooting for 30lbs on my build.

Just getting that Kona Wo I've been renting in and out of the pickup bed to go to/from the LBS (20-some miles), combined with my bad back, makes me wish it was lighter. Having a 30-lb fatbike won't make me a better rider, but it is pragmatic for me for other reasons. Shedding weight beyond that comes with price/durability compromises I'm not willing to make.
    Denver Broncos: 98-3 since 1975 when scoring 30+ at home. Shaky start, but you know you're worried...

turtles make me hot
    I just finished a 190mm 9Zero7. I'm 6'5", 260 pounds. Built the bike with Clownshoes and Bud and Lou. Took one ride on snow covered singletrack and don't regret going big for one second.
    Bike took longer to build because of the cost but it's awesome.
    I like turtles

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast