Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2012

Need Advice Befor i Purchase a Mukluk

Hi
    Im about to purchase my first fat bike that is probably a Mukluk 2 2014. Ive never fat biked before so I have no experience, im hoping I can learn from all of you. I intend to make it a daily commuter on the roads year round. I only ride 2km in but it’s a steep hill all the way. I will ride the bike on snow packed trails and logging roads in winter in varied conditions, we get a lot of snow, snow type ranges from deep soft powder to heaver wet snow. Also everywhere is a steep climb, not much xc around here. I need some advice please.

1/ The 2014 mukluk has a 170mm rear end and can only take a 80mm rim. Should I be purchasing a 190mm rear end bike to future proof it? Will the 170mm of the mukluk be limiting or out of date soon?

2/ assuming I get the mukluk. Should I upgrade the tires at purchase time with the LBS? I think they are the 3.8” should I put the 4.8 upfront? The fork will take it. It comes with an 80mm rim. What about the rear? Its 80mm rim? Is it worth putting on a 4.8” tire, im told it will clear the frame, just. Is it worth it?

3/ if I went for a 190mm bike, Will a 190mm hub, 100mm rim/5” tire be too much for climbing steep hills or commuting on the road and general winter trail riding considering it will often include long climbs.

Cheers for your advice
    kev

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    1. Purchase bike
    2. Ride.
    3. Don't Worry.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    How much do you weigh?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    180 lbs

mtbr member
    May 2012
    180lbs

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    You should be fine with a Mukluk 2. It's a great bike. I think they're shipping with Nates F/R, which will be fine for your conditions. I would ride them through Winter (assuming you're Northern Hemisphere and winter is about to be here), then buy a second set of more summer-y tires in 6 months.

turtles make me hot
    I don't want to tell you what to do, but here's my opinion...
    The last two fat bikes I rode had 82mm Darryls and Husker DU tires. They rolled nice and fast and had a lot of flotation. I weigh 260 pounds. You'll probably be fine.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks for all the advice, it has really helped me finalize my decision on the muk 2.
    The advice is appreciated.

cheers
    kev

mtbr member
    It will be fine. Nates are good. If you really want more flotation get a set of Lous and Buds later on.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    will a lou work well on an 80mm rim?

From what you stated that you will be riding for terrain, and also commuting... I wouldn't go with the biggest tires. Yes they are great when you need super floating power... but when I ride on groomed or packed snow I feel they are overkill. I rode some groomed/packed singletrack trails last winter and some were out there doing just fine with a 3" knard. I'm 220 so I like 4.8's, but even with those there is still some snow you just can't get through without pushing. If you ever want to go bigger with the Mukluk you could get the new Fatback Sterling tire when it comes out - 4.2". Should be no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by kpw2011 View Post
    I think someone posted that they squeezed it in... but definitely not recommended and you will have no clearance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    1. Purchase bike
    2. Ride.
    3. Don't Worry.
    This

I picked mine up almost three weeks ago and have been riding and enjoying the hell out of it. It's a great bike and will do you well.

Steve

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Normwood View Post
    This

I picked mine up almost three weeks ago and have been riding and enjoying the hell out of it. It's a great bike and will do you well.

Steve
    Cheers Mate, I would love to see a couple of pics of it.

try anything on a bike
    Sep 2008
    I have 100mm clownshoes on mine, and with one cog removed I have a perfectly working 1x8 with room for both my 3.8 larrys and 3.8 knards no problem. It appears nates would fit too, and thats on clownshoes.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    great, 100mm rims with 3.8 tires fit. will the bigger tires fit? 4.8 on a 100mm rims?
    im going for it, calling the shop tomorrow to buy it, mukluk 2 in orange. i still get the last minute doubts about spending the cash, just bought a $6000 free ride bike last year. so $2400 mukluk is cheap, it will be ridden 6 days a week both on and off road. the other bike only gets ridden 3x/wk. sorry for the rambling on, just getting nervous about the purchase of a niche bike but ive had wet dreams of fat bike since i discovered them last year.
    thanks for all of your advice.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I have the first generation Muk2 and still ride it as my primary bike, just because its fun. Singletrack, pavement, rails to trails, snow trails, whatever. Just ride it and have fun. I would stay with the current sized tires/rims, etc for now. You'll enjoy the weight savings over the 4.8s that look like overkill on the singletrack. If you feel it necessary to upgrade in the future, so be it. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Need Advice Befor i Purchase a Mukluk

Cheers Mate, I would love to see a couple of pics of it.

Ask and ye shall receive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

turtles make me hot
    great, 100mm rims with 3.8 tires fit. will the bigger tires fit? 4.8 on a 100mm rims?
    im going for it, calling the shop tomorrow to buy it, mukluk 2 in orange. i still get the last minute doubts about spending the cash, just bought a $6000 free ride bike last year. so $2400 mukluk is cheap, it will be ridden 6 days a week both on and off road. the other bike only gets ridden 3x/wk. sorry for the rambling on, just getting nervous about the purchase of a niche bike but ive had wet dreams of fat bike since i discovered them last year.
    Wet dreams? Was the bike wearin' a pirate shirt?
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    mukluk 2 in orange..
    The 2014 Mukluk 2 is gold

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Re: Need Advice Befor i Purchase a Mukluk

I have a bud on 70mm rim works good also 80 should be good

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk now Free

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Lou will NOT fit the Mukluk. You can fit a Bud in the fork easily.

I think the new Muk2 suits your needs perfectly, it's a great bike this year. I wouldn't change anything from the stock spec besides contact points (saddle/bars/grips). The 82mm rims with Nates will work for most all snow conditions. In the summer maybe swap to a faster rolling tire like the Black Floyd or Vee Speedster. Or build up a 29+ wheelset with 29x3 Surly Knards.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    If you're riding it every day, it's not a niche bike. A $6000.00 free ride bike? THAT's a niche bike.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    May 2012
    That looks amazing. Great pic, beautiful bike mate. cheers

mtbr member
    snow type ranges from deep soft powder.
    I ride an outdated....errr I mean classic fatbike with 135mm offset front and rear that can only take 82mm rims and the skinnier of the 4.7" tires.

I think a lot of people go uber fat gratuitously and I would steer them to a 4" tire fatbike OTOH if you will be dealing with lots of deep soft powder that is the reason there are 5" fat bikes like the Moonlander and the new 190mm bikes.

If you are talking a handful of uber soft days a winter it's not worth the cost, but if that's a regular occurrence I'd buy a fatbike that can take 100mm rims and all available tires.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

shut up legs
    Ride and Smile....with the Muk, you will need Botox after the first week
    ---->Fat Bike Fenders & More
    Salsa Mukluk | Salsa El Mariachi | Salsa Spearfish
    Mountain Cycle Stumptown

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast