Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Necro-pug + trailer brake reccomendations

876 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  mjduct 
#1 ·
Greetings all, I've had a necro a little over a year, and have love the heck out of it. I recently picked up a trailer at a bike SWAP meet and the kiddo loves to go for rides around the neighborhood. The one problem is that my rear brake doesn't do much anymore. In fact it does very little. I've cleaned the pads and re-bedded them in, and they lock the wheel up just find without the trailer. but with the 60-90 pounds of trailer/gear/kid in there. It doesn't do much. The front on the other hand is still pretty effective.

I've got BB7s on there now, with 160mm rotors
My question:

should I upgrade to 180 or 200mm rotors?

should I replace my pads?

should I upgrade my rotors to a different style (G2 cleansweeps right now)?

fun photo with my wifes niner (she stole it from me!)

See less See more
#3 ·
New pads & maybe....rotors. And be sure they are adjusted correctly. I have BB5s F&R on my cargo bike and it has smaller rotors and I have no issues stopping the bike downhill loaded with more than 200 lbs of groceries. Makes me think something is up with your brake in general, not anything about the BB7 lacking power or your rotors being too small stock.

#5 ·
Probably glazed over at some point. BB7s are very grippy and stop well, but the negatives for me in the past were extremely short pad life and excessive heat leading to glazing over of the rotors. There were a few other problems, but those two I think are related to Avid wanting the brakes to perform very well and stop with a grippy pad compound. You can't have everything though so there are tradeoffs. I've always gone with a 180mm or bigger rotor up front for anything other than a strict XC bike. Fat tires have much more inertia and the contact with the ground gives brakes the opportunity to stop much better, but it can overwork small rotors IMO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.