mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Necro/black ops brakes I can feel the cable move in the houseing

I have a necormancer, which is my first bike with cable disc brakes (bb7), and I have always noticed that I can feel the cable move in the housing, where as the hydraulic was just plain butter. I did not think much of it, until I went to look at a cross bike with disc, bb7, and road levers. The brake pull felt much smoother, I could barely tell that it was cable and not hydraulic. At the same shop, I went over to a stock pugsley, and a krampus, and they both feel like my necro, like I am dragging a chain through the housing. Is it crappy levers?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Sounds like a housing issue. I would change the housings and the cables if you do not like the feel. Mine feel smooth...different from hydraulic, but very smooth.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Even though the brand new Pugs and Krampus at the LBS feel the same as mine?

What housing do you have?

mtbr member
    Run some lube (like tri-flow) through the housing and on the cable. There are youtube that are helpful, painless procedure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I can try different housing, and I can try some tri-flow, but the question remains, on brand new bikes at the store, the pugsley and the krampus feel crappy, but the straggler or any other cross/road style bike with road levers feel very smooth? They all have jagwire housing, and bb7 brakes. To me, process of elimination, that points the finger at the levers...

The only other thing I can think that is different, is the version of bb7. The cross type bikes have a road version of the caliper.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by e39-540i View Post
    Even though the brand new Pugs and Krampus at the LBS feel the same as mine?

What housing do you have?
    I forgot to mention that my bike has the speed dial levers. Maybe that makes the difference.

mtbr member
    It's most likely how the housing was prepped. A lot of times on complete bikes, companies will use cheaper housing. This housing is usually a coiled piece of steel inside, and when the ends aren't prepped properly, the cable can rub a barb or rough spot. Before replacing your housing, take an awl and widen the openings on your housing, see what that does. The cheaper housing will still not be as buttery as hydros or higher end housing, but that should help. If it doesn't help, I'd suggest Jagwire Mountain Pro housing as a replacement.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Every moonie/pug/muk I have seen has very gritty brake cable feel. I have jagwire stuff and have no issue.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    As said above, ream out the ends of the housing to make sure that there are no burrs. Brake housing is often cut with wirecutters that can leave a barb. Also make sure there are no kinks or kinks that have been straightened out, these can also bind since the coiled steel in the housing can be bent. Upgrading to a higher quality compressionless housing is an option, such as Jagwire or even Nokon (bling!). I use Nokon from my levers to the frame, then old Avid Full Metal Jacket (1/4" stainless steel tube) all the way to the brake. I have also found that the Paul single-finger levers work really, really well with BB7s. Properly set up with good housing and levers, they should be nearly indistinguishable from wet brakes.

The difference between road and mountain BB7s is simply the pull ratio in the lever, otherwise, they are effectively identical. SRAM road levers work better than Shimano, and did before SRAM bought Avid.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    Every moonie/pug/muk I have seen has very gritty brake cable feel. I have jagwire stuff and have no issue.
    This is kinda what I am getting at. Brand new bikes feel this way. The Krampus, pugsley, and straggler all have bb7, and full length cables, but the Straggler with Tiagra road levers feels like butter. Last night I inspected my cables, and I did not have any burs.

I have an old Bianchi Volpe, that is my touring bike, and it has the same cheap jagwire housing and cables, and Ultegra road levers, and it is butter too.

There is a bike expo in town tomorrow, and I will mention it to the Surly people, but I think I am going to upgrade to the levers to the Avid Speed Dial, and also get the Jagwire Pro cable kit. Either that or just change to hydros.
    2011 Surly Necromancer/Black ops pugsley
    2006 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    i changed out my jagwire to a bmx type housing so much better.