mtbr member

Nates vs Devist8tors?

So, figure nates and Devist8tors weigh about the same, at least in the version of nates that are still available for sale...

so any thoughts? 27 tpi Nates are more expensive, but they've also got those giant honking lugs that look like they could grip anything.

the devist8tors look a lot more like Husker Dus.

So, if I'm looking for a general tire to replace my stock larry/endo tires with something that'll have better traction/less sideslipping in snow and wet, which one would you go with?

Or, neither?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    If your looking for pure griping power go with the Nate. Much better then the devist8or. That said the Nate does have a lot of humm to it on hard packed services (pavement). If your looking for 1 tire to ride all year long I would recommend the husker du over everything. Its very good in the summer but has a fair amount of grip for winter riding.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Opportune timing for your thread. I was considering posting a rant about the Devist8ers and thought better of it.

GET THE NATES.

I finished what will be my last ride on the Devist8ers. The casings become *really* hard in the cold. My fat bike doesn't bounce! It goes thud when lifted and dropped, like a deflated basketball.

They grip fine, I guess. But Nate grips better, and rolls better.

If you need very high durability go with the Devist8er, but that is the only conceivable reason I now have.

@#$*!!
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    The devist8or is OK in a pinch, but as soon as possible mine will be replaced with a Nate. As a front tire, mine would lurch sideways on pavement or hard dirt, and flop over on snow when i turned too far. As a rear, installed backwards, it's serviceable, but nothing like a Nate.

Of course, it was $40, not $125, so there's that aspect.

mtbr member
    I run a Nate rear and Devist8er front, both mounted in reverse. When cornering in light accumulation, the Nate rear loses traction before the Devist8er. The 8er also has a higher threshold in off camber, as the Nate slides downhill first. Both instances in the seated position.

The above issues are true though. The 8er has a squarer profile and stiffer structure. When you lean past the edge, it turns right now, and you have to feather the transition to turn smoothly. Very different from a Larry. Loads more grip. VERY different feel. The turning only feels odd on hard, dry surfaces to me. Snow is a non issue.

I adapt to what I ride. If you are particular about the way your bike feels, you probably won't like it. Neither works well on the road. Nate is noisy. 8er turns funny.

Human Test Subject
    high pressure Nates vibrate my man bits.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'd go with the Nates if you can get them (currently most everyone seems to be sold out of both versions). The Nates are lighter, grippier, more "supple", and handle much better on the front.

If you're on a budget, I'd go with a 27 tpi Nate on the front and a Devist8er on the rear.

If price is no object, I'd do with 120 tpi Nates front and rear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    high pressure Nates vibrate my man bits.
    Girls have boobs too!

mtbr member
    Since I never ride the Pugs on the road, and since it's my only mountain bike, Nates it is.

I look forward to scaring small animals.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Your first order of business on a Nate is to ride it from pavement onto loose dirt.

BZZZZZZZZZZ-sshhhhhhhhh

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    I finished what will be my last ride on the Devist8ers. The casings become *really* hard in the cold. My fat bike doesn't bounce! It goes thud when lifted and dropped, like a deflated basketball.
    That's interesting... because bounce is basically bad. "Back in the old days" I had dialled in my Fox coil-over at the back of my fully so that I could set the bike vertically on its front wheel, let it drop freely and the bike's rear end would just "drop dead" without bouncing back a mm. Most stock fullies bounce back at least once before settling.

That's how suspenion should work, to absord shock - any shock. If it bounces, it's not as effective as a suspension should be. Suspension's sole purpose is to keep your tire in contact with the ground at ALL times.
    I've got very limited time on a Devist8or (one bike park descent) but the thing that struck me was that very fact, it's casing absorbs irregularities instead of bouncing off of them - kind of a built-in damping, which I liked, it gave me more control in the rough stuff.

Pity it weighs so much.

About the self-steering trait some mention: on what width of rim was that ? I tested it on 47mm rims and it steered neutral (very round profile).

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by caminoloco View Post
    About the self-steering trait some mention: on what width of rim was that ? I tested it on 47mm rims and it steered neutral (very round profile).
    I am running GFS rims and the tire was pretty bad on the front but serviceable (until more Nates are available) on the rear.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by caminoloco View Post
    That's interesting... because bounce is basically bad. "Back in the old days" I had dialled in my Fox coil-over at the back of my fully so that I could set the bike vertically on its front wheel, let it drop freely and the bike's rear end would just "drop dead" without bouncing back a mm. Most stock fullies bounce back at least once before settling.

That's how suspenion should work, to absord shock - any shock. If it bounces, it's not as effective as a suspension should be. Suspension's sole purpose is to keep your tire in contact with the ground at ALL times.
    No argument there!

I was making the analogy to express how unwilling the casing is to deform. If any of my other tires are valuable indicators (fat or otherwise), I've subjectively seen correlation between ease of sidewall deformation and rolling efficiency. My favorite tire in this regard is a Schwalbe Marathon - thick where it meets the ground, very thin sidewalls, rolls great.

EDIT: Casing deformation in the cold in particular. My reference temperatures of late have been 0 F +/- 5. The tire at room temperature behaves closer to what I'd expect out of a QBP tire.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I have your test devistaters Koen, they are now lying in the garage as I swapped them for nates!

I only rode the devistaters during the winter, so if the tire is so temperature sensitive, it might be a different story in summertime!

The tire does feel undestructable and the price is reasonable!

The devistaters roll rather poor, I don't think they are much faster than 27 tpi nates on the road at the same presure, but the nates offer more comfort and far more grip!

As a sidenote: The 27 tpi nates I ride now do far better than the previous 27 tpi nates I rode, particular on ice and hardpack they do a pretty good job now!
    Because these are new, because they changed the compound,....???? no idea!

About the damping, I like some rebound, it allows easy bunnyhops, you can preload the front tire to ride over a log,... with the Nate you can deflate or onverinflate the tires and they become dead as well, but with the devistater, it is always feels overdampend to me!

JYB
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I've been riding some first generation Devist8ers since last July on every type of surface. This includes rocky techy singletrack, wet rooty and rocky singletrack, gravel, pavement, and some snow (not deep snow because we haven't had much in VA this year). Are they heavy as crap? Yes. Is there some self-steer on a 70mm rim? Yes. Can I still ride these tires like a champ? Yes. You can adapt to any of their short comings. Are there better tires out there? Yes but not anything remotely in this price range. I only have one complaint about these tires. I have the wire bead ones. I can not get them to seat 100%. There's always considerable wobble. I thought it might have been that I got an early set, so I bought some more. Same deal. Any ideas on how to get them to seat? I don't notice the wobble in the woods, but it's pretty bad on pavement. Oh yeah, I also have recently started to test a set of the Vee Mission tires. They definitely have a more rounded profile on my 70mm UMA rims. They seem to roll much faster than the Devist8ers on hardpack and pavement on the 80+ mile bike packing trip I took last weekend. In addition, I just got back from riding them on lightly snowed-on singletrack, and they performed fine.
    I can definitely say that the Devist8ers have not let me down on singletrack with regards to traction. I didn't buy these tires to win a short track race. If I could get them to seat 100%, however, I'd be really happy. I will continue to evaluate the Missions.

mtbr member
    my devist8ers (kevlar bead) are seated 100% on ML's with toobs and i've had them both down to 7psi and only the front has a very slight hitch in it's giddy up.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    JYB - I had to try a few times to get mine to seat properly. On my last attempt I used soapy water and inflated to 30 psi and they went on fine then. After that I let the air back down to around 8 - 10 psi.

JYB
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Kcss
    We're your tires Kevlar bead or wire bead? I've done the soapy water thing so many times and aired up over 30psi with little improvements. I'm wondering if this is specific to the wire bead ones.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Mine are the wire bead. It took me about 6 attempts to get them right.

mtbr member
    LBS had 1 wire bead nate in stock so I am now the proud owner of a Nate.

I've seen a lot of bikes around here set up with a Larry front and Nate rear, so that's what I've got going on right now. Supposed to get some snow tomorrow so we'll see how it works.

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    Your first order of business on a Nate is to ride it from pavement onto loose dirt.

BZZZZZZZZZZ-sshhhhhhhhh
    Makes noises like one of those jacked-up big boss man trucks driven by short angry white dudes who never actually end up driving them off-road (except for that one time they were drunk and therefore spun donuts in a dirt patch on the side of the road). Startles the crap out of people on paved multi-use trails.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Got a second 120 TPI Nate incoming from the 'bay! Didn't like my HuDu front/Nate rear combo, so I want to try a matched set.

It's great, begging people to please take my $150!