mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Nates: 27 tpi vs 120 tpi

I am looking at getting a set of Nates for my pug and would like advice from your experiences as to whether to purchase the 27 tpi or the 120 tpi. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Perpetual n00b
    I've got the 27tpi Nates and I am satisfied. They also seem to be tougher, more flat-resistant than the 120tpi.

The Dog.
    I cannot compare the two directly, but I went to 120 Nates from 27 endos/larry's, and the very first thing I noticed before the insane traction was just how much more supple they are. I'd go 120 for sure. Worth every penny.

Bicycle Obsessed
    my understading on TPI is that higher TPI will 'generally' be more supple and lighter (and more expensive )

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jpettit View Post
    my understading on TPI is that higher TPI will 'generally' be more supple and lighter (and more expensive )
    At the expense of durability. More threads per inch = less rubber = thinner sidewalls.

I've ridden 27tpi and 120tpi Surly tires and yes there is a difference, but I wouldnt say the cost makes it worth while. Depends on your budget!
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

Sup
    I wonder if the 120tpi could be detrimental to the support of the nate's large knobs
    I can see how the other tires could benefit from there ability to conform to the terrain butt.....
    With the Nate I can imagine the knobs rolling over without good support
    I only have the 27tpi tires and have not had the pleasure to ride the 120s so this is only speculation
    That said the tires do rock the hills on tight curves of snow covered single-track

Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    when the temps get colder, the sidewalls on the 27tpi become really hard and don't compress quite as nice. The grip is the same as the 120, but i think the ride quality suffers. Mine was also 1740g..... ouch
    your 29er may float over roots and rocks, but my superlight 26 just plain floats

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowerJoe View Post
    I wonder if the 120tpi could be detrimental to the support of the nate's large knobs
    I can see how the other tires could benefit from there ability to conform to the terrain butt.....
    With the Nate I can imagine the knobs rolling over without good support
    I only have the 27tpi tires and have not had the pleasure to ride the 120s so this is only speculation
    That said the tires do rock the hills on tight curves of snow covered single-track

Sj
    I have been running the 120tpi Nates on 65mm rims, at 7-11psi, mostly on dirt, rocks, roots, plus pavement. No issues with the knobs folding over. Just great traction.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Sup
    Most of your post end up costing me money shiggy

Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    I'm just happy to have Nates and to be having a TPI discussion instead of begging for something more than just Endo's like 2 years ago.

mtbr member

Review of Surly Nate Tires

Here is a lengthy review of the Surly Nate tires...Surly Nate Tires For Fat Bike Fun In The Snow And Mud All Seasons Cyclist
    Attached Images Attached Images