Thread: Nate front

tg
    mtbr member

Nate front

Just thinking a Nate might make a good front tire for my AK. I am finding the Kenda mammoth that came on the bike is lacking on the snow trails I ride in Colo.. Good call or should I pop for a 5in. front?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    You've got to describe the issues you're having, in what type of snow, on what width rim, before anyone can prescribe anything of value.

I rode a Nate last night on my bike and it didn't work well. Doesn't help much.........

tg
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    You've got to describe the issues you're having, in what type of snow, on what width rim, before anyone can prescribe anything of value.

I rode a Nate last night on my bike and it didn't work well. Doesn't help much.........
    Mostly packed single track . Not sure of my rim width.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nate front-img_2732.jpg  

blood in / blood out
    Put a Vanhelga on. You will like the traction you get from the tire and it rolls well also.
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness

is buachail foighneach me
    -Putting a true-ish 5" tire up front will raise the front end enough for you to notice it. Bud/Lou/SnowshoeXL are a lot taller than the Mammoth.

-Nate makes a great front tire if you don't need the float of a 5". The rolling resistance isn't bad on the front.

-As someone mentioned above, everything I've heard about the Van Helga is Nate like traction but much faster rolling.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Maxxis Mammoth is a far cry from a snow tire. Fast, hard packed(groomed), dry dirt trails or beach use. Nearly anything with a decent tread will be better. I have one and can say the construction is really nice, it set up tubeless great and it rolls fast. Otherwise, meh....

Nate won't wash out in the front and will give more rear traction than the Mammoth. Is it the best? That's still up for debate. VanHelga, Hodag, Floater are other alternatives in the same width class with enough tread to consider.

The Dog.
    Check out my extensive review of the VanHelga for more info there. Similar traction to Nate, but will claw back onto the packed snow better than any front tire I've ridden. Definitely rolls faster.

I also really like the Hodag for the front as well. Happen to have a nearly brand new one if you're interested.

mtbr member
    Nate has the best grip of the 4" tyres I have tried (but now there is more choice).

Grip on a fat tyre is also dependent on tyre pressure, so maybe you need to lower your existing tyre pressures.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    I have a nate arriving today, I'll ride the trails around me and find out.

mtbr member
    I love my Nates but someone I ride with switched out to the Vanhelgas and says they don't slide as much on the side hills and roll better. I have no experience with them so cannot comment firsthand.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nothing to see here, move along folks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tg View Post
    Just thinking a Nate might make a good front tire for my AK. I am finding the Kenda mammoth that came on the bike is lacking on the snow trails I ride in Colo.. Good call or should I pop for a 5in. front?
    So, CO is a big state and all, but... I think it's fair to say that our snow tends to be much less dense than what you find in, say, the Midwest or New England. I've swapped out front tires a few times, including trying a Vanhelga, but I keep coming back to a good old Bud. It just seems to work better, sooner, after a fresh snowfall- I think the combo of width and the density of tread running in the direction of travel (resisting lateral washout) work so darn well when it's soft. And it doesn't really seem to be disadvantageous when the snow hardens up (if it does).

And since our fair state pretty much got hammered top to bottom during the past 48 hrs,
    I'll be willing to bet you would be happy with one of those bad boys, too. But then again, it is a big state and maybe you live in the snow desert, in which case, never mind... I'll just shut up now and have another beer.

mtbr member
    Nate arrived yesterday, set them up in the front and rear, and added 6 psi to the tubes. I now have confidence in the front tire not slipping out from under me,they grip great!

I can fit a larger tire in the front and may pick up a bud, but I will use this for now.

tg
    mtbr member

Any Bud/Nate riders?

Just picked up a Nate for the front of my Framed AK and it seems small compared to the Maxx Mammoth I have in the rear. How would a Bud front and Nate rear be for snow? Would it jack up the front end to much?

mtbr member
    I rode Bud front and Nate rear on my Mukluk last winter. It worked very well and did not seem to jack the front noticeably.
    Gettin' Fat!...That's Where It's At!

This place needs an enema
    Just picked up a Nate for the front of my Framed AK and it seems small compared to the Maxx Mammoth I have in the rear. How would a Bud front and Nate rear be for snow? Would it jack up the front end to much?
    Measure and you'll see that they are very close in size.

That said, if you can fit a Bud up front you won't regret it. Best all around front tire going.

Laramie, Wyoming
    I agree with Mike, it's hard to beat the Bud on the front. By adjusting the tire pressure, that tire can work well on any surface. I had someone tell me recently that he could corner with a BFL on snow just as good as a Bud. He didn't admit to what medications he was on. While doing the Arrowhead recently, I watched guys fall repeatedly. The snow wasn't the greatest, in fact somewhat challenging at times, but I didn't have any problems and a lot of that was from running a Bud on a 100 mm rim. I had guys tell me that wasn't the normal Arrowhead setup. At the half way point, one of those guys also told me that he had fallen dozens of times.

mtbr member
    dude, this is your 4th thread asking the same question in the past 2 months:

Best SNOW tire for a Framed AK.

Nate front

http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/sch...do-997703.html

Why? ADD?

You've already been given lots of info

On top of that, there are even Bud and Nate threads already:

bud and nate

Vanhelga / Bud combo/ Nate

Least rolling resistance Bud or Nate 120?
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6 with Lauf
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

tg
    mtbr member
    Just trying piss you off Swerny...Have a beer and calm down it's Friday.

rth009
    May 2010
    Bud and Nate (rear) is a great combination for folks that cant fit a Lou out back. I ran my old Mukluk that way and it was a great combo for ungroomed snow. Add Grip studs and you have a great snow/ice tire setup.

But if you can fit a Maxxis Mammoth out back, theres no need to settle for Nate, get a Bud for the front and keep the Mammoth out back.

MaxTheCyclist.com
    Just trying piss you off Swerny...Have a beer and calm down it's Friday.
    Ultralight bikepacking and gear lists... MaxTheCyclist.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    My bike came with nates and its hard to justify getting "better tires" granted they are only 27 tpi. They go through snow well enough.