Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Nashbar Fat Bike, who else pulled the trigger?

So this morning at 3:30 I woke up and I seen they had 14% off total order. I said I was going to hold out for 20% but my MTB Helmet is cracking big time in the back and I honestly dont think it has to much life left it in. So.... I figured what the heck 6% would be a nice bit more off the bike but I went for it. Maybe its just my self badly wanting a fat bike but I think they are going to sell out of them quickly unless they stocked up or people just turn there nose away from them. Any others get the itch or do you have stronger will power to hold out?

I am 5'10 and looking at the Geo I went with the size 17. I think the 19 would be a bit to big for me. I wish the 17 was a bit bigger but I think it should fit me great with a 400mm post to be on the safe side. I was bouncing between the Moto Pro or the Nashbar. I honestly wanted the steel frame wayyyy more and I would have kicked my self in the butt if I went with the aluminum frame. The Moto has Hydro, FSA Stem, 740mm bars and post but the steel in my eyes took the cake. The sliding dropouts are nice, I was a bit on the fence about the non replaceable hanger with the Nashbar but with the sliding drop outs you can use the problem solver hanger or since its steel just weld a new tab. The Nashbar fat bike has a nice green matty look to it and the flat gloss bars look great. I hope they are around 700MM as they look fairly wide mounted on the photo's.

The shifters and cranks to me seem to be equal in therms of what you get. Sram X5 X7 is the same as the Shimano SL and Deore you are getting on the Moto. I think id rather have lower end mechanical disc brakes vs low end Hydro disc's and the cranks looking at both reviews favored the Hussfelt. The only thing I can say is that I have seen a ton of great reviews on the BD fat bikes and obviously the nashbar fat bikes wont be shipped till the 31st so nothing to compare it to other then my own personal views and pictures.

I am excited for this bad boy. I cant wait to test it out on the single track but most of all were I live we have a TON of amazingly good trails that are sandy as all heck, muddy and thick swamp mud to boot and most of all streams/creaks all over the place. These trails are flatish for the most part just fast and flow nice. There are sand pits and logs down, bridges all over the place just stuff that screams fat bike. But they are so hard to ride on a normal mountain bike, They are mainly ridden by dirt bike, quads and horses. I been riding them for years since I was a kid on my quads. They are literally right across the street from me. They are so much fun to ride in the snow and when the summer comes its sandy as all heck. You can spend hours back there riding even blasting them on a quad you can cover a ton of miles with out seeing the same trail head twice.

I am going to abuse the heck out of this bike on my normal trails but it sure would be nice to be able to just jump on my bike and do some night riding rides, snow riding and just mixing it up right across the street from my house with out having to pack my truck up or worried about getting a ticket for parking in the public trails when its dark.

mtbr member
    Congrats on the order. With the 14% off, it's a pretty good deal for $873.98. I just noticed that they moved up the availability from Feb 20th to January 31st. That will be a bonus.
    Current bikes:
    2015 Framed Alaskan Carbon
    2015 Framed Alaskan Alloy
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 AL Pro
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2

mtbr member
    Thanks! I figure I will ride the heck out of the stock parts and as things break or wear out I will upgrade the bike. I dont know if its a bug or not but I only got hit with $13.99 shipping for my bike, helmet, bashguard and post! I figured I was going to get hit with a 40+ shipping fee.

I hope it still ships out around the end of the month, really excited to get one of these. I cleaned out my parts bin and sold a spare bike to get the cash for the bike. I was going to wait for my tax return but this came up and the steel frame sold me.

Semi off topic but anyone know what the deal is with using normal tubes. I have seen a few saying you can get away with using downhill tubes around 26x2.4-2.7 but then others saying no go just use 26x4

rda
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    why would you want steel over alum? no opinion either way, just wondering because i am in the market too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    why would you want steel over alum? no opinion either way, just wondering because i am in the market too.
    The steel frame (I cant speak about this one) has a really nice ride to it. Aluminum has a TON of chatter to it. Coming from my Road and MTB my Aluminum frames are harsh rides. My Steel framed road bike rides like a dream, my Steel 29er is soooo smooth on the trails. The frame will absorb alot of the vibration. Steel is going to be a bit heavy vs aluminum but its a fair trade off in my mind. If I had to pick ride quality it would go Carbon > Ti > Steel > Alum. Carbon and Ti ride both amazingly good but personally I would never buy a Carbon MTB. Steel is a noticeable ride difference BUT a good well made aluminum frame can ride nice as well.

I have a feeling in terms of ride quality the Nashbar frame is going to ride better and since its full rigid I wanted to go with a smoother less harsh ride. When I ride my training road bike or Hard tail Alum MTB I can feel the vibrations so much more then when I ride the others.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Congrats on the purchase, and post some pictures once it shows up! Order some 2.4-2.7" tubes too... they've been working fine for me, and I haven't heard of anyone else having a problem (other than finding them at the moment).

rda
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ian0789 View Post
    The steel frame (I cant speak about this one) has a really nice ride to it. Aluminum has a TON of chatter to it. Coming from my Road and MTB my Aluminum frames are harsh rides. My Steel framed road bike rides like a dream, my Steel 29er is soooo smooth on the trails. The frame will absorb alot of the vibration. Steel is going to be a bit heavy vs aluminum but its a fair trade off in my mind. If I had to pick ride quality it would go Carbon > Ti > Steel > Alum. Carbon and Ti ride both amazingly good but personally I would never buy a Carbon MTB. Steel is a noticeable ride difference BUT a good well made aluminum frame can ride nice as well.

I have a feeling in terms of ride quality the Nashbar frame is going to ride better and since its full rigid I wanted to go with a smoother less harsh ride. When I ride my training road bike or Hard tail Alum MTB I can feel the vibrations so much more then when I ride the others.
    makes sense, steel does have a lot more flex. hard to make a decision on the nashbar bike with none in the wild.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RocktonRider View Post
    Congrats on the purchase, and post some pictures once it shows up! Order some 2.4-2.7" tubes too... they've been working fine for me, and I haven't heard of anyone else having a problem (other than finding them at the moment).
    Thanks! I just got a 4 pack of cutter heavy duty downhill tires. I think if I slime them they should be good to go What PSI are you running for your normal single track riding? I will be only riding this in the trails so not worried about commuting pressure.

I am going to post a ton of pictures of it and will slap up a review. Its nice to see a budget fat bike. Seems like alot of the other ones I was looking at honestly are coming with the same components so very eager to try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    makes sense, steel does have a lot more flex. hard to make a decision on the nashbar bike with none in the wild.
    It does have flex but when you wanna boogie the steel moves. I personally (as you can see) would take the chance on the steel frame. I know I would regret the Aluminum frame so much and would in the end try to get a steel frame.

Not that I need another toy at this point but I literally did the same thing with the single speed I built. I built an aluminum single speed on a budget and while I was happy with the bike I truly wanted a steel frame, I got lucky and came across a used SS for a retardly cheap price and not even used more like stored in a garage. Stripped the bike and swapped all the parts to a steel frame and LOVE it. The Aluminum one is going to probably end up for sale or turned into a 1x9 at some point if I do keep it.

No steel is real BS just I really dig the way it performs. Its a tad bit more in weight but like I said very fair trade off for the ride.

Loser
    I'm sure you will love the bike, but I am equally sure with the low pressures we run in tires you won't be able to feel whether the frame is aluminium or steel.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks! I just got a 4 pack of cutter heavy duty downhill tires. I think if I slime them they should be good to go What PSI are you running for your normal single track riding? I will be only riding this in the trails so not worried about commuting pressure.
    Pressure is something that you'll have to adjust to your liking, but I'm usually running anywhere between 6 and 13 psi with On-One Floaters. I recently had them up around 12 psi on some singletrack that was a combination of about 2" of crusty snow, mud and rocks and didn't have any issues.

Steel is usually my preference, but I haven't had a single regret buying an aluminum fatbike. Jisch is right... you'd be hard pressed to notice any difference in frame materials when there are big, squishy tires involved.

mtbr member
    Thanks Rock will have to mess around and see what works best, I do keep a heavy duty pump stuffed in my pack so I can adjust on the go. I think I will start at 10psi and get a feel for how it rolls over logs. Did you slime your DH tubes at all or just stretch them out over night?

Yeah I kind of have a feeling that ride with a fat bike will be some what different with how the frame feels on the trails but for my own peace of mind steel was the main factor of what bike I was going to get. I doubt I will be able to tell compairing it to anything I own now or if it was steel vs alum but I wouldnt wanna regret my buy. Also what the heck might as well get something different. I have a feeling alot of people are going to bash the Nashbar bike but just like BD's I have really enjoyed my buys and builds from them.

I do like how there seems to be a bit of stem room vs the Moto. They seem to have that thing set up aggressive with the stem stance. I always cut my forks long even if I dont use all the steer tube I like having that extra bit available to use or to transfer the fork.

I cant wait to try it out on my normal loops, been watching alot of video's of people running some fun looking single track. Any tips you might have for riding one? Anything to compare the ride to in terms of how the bike handles or its in a world of its own?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    No slime or Stan's in my tubes. No problems either, but I haven't run them at crazy-low pressures on rough terrain.

I'm hardly an expert on fatbikes (or bikes in general), but can say that riding a fatbike has been a totally different experience. Big tires seem to give you confidence to try crazy things, and you're certainly going to have a lot of fun on it. Get used to answering questions about it, because the big tires really attract attention. And who cares if people bash the Nashbar: people have bashed every brand/model for one reason or another...

mtbr member
    Well only 13 more days till it hopefully ships out! Cant wait I have been filled with fat bike madness and have been watching video's and plotting where I am going to take my 1st ride. Heck today I took my SS 29er to a new trail system and the reviews all said stay away after it rains drains poorly..... Well I was 15 minutes away after an hour drive it started to rain then turn to snow so I wasnt turning back. Place was fun but a mud pit on most of the trails and all I could dream about was how much fun it would be to ride this stuff on the fat bike!

I got my seatpost, bashguard, water bottle cage(dont know why but I feel naked with out one). Going to make it a 2x9 and leave everything stock till I can see what I wanna change if I do end up changing anything and probably just upgrade things as stuff wears out or I get a really good sale deal.

In the mean time I think I am going to make this. https://nuxx.net/blog/2011/11/28/low...at-bike-stand/ I dont want to just lean the bike up on stuff so how cheap this thing can be made I think it will be a good project. I looked at made ones and they are 45-90 bucks.... Rattle Can Black to finish it off =P

mtbr member
    Look forward to hearing your comments on it when you get it. I currently have a Minnesota 2.0 on order but I ordered a 18" frame instead of a 20" thinking I'd probably end up giving it to the GF. One of the main reasons why I went with the Minnesota when I ordered it in early January was due to the early availability compared to the Motobecane Boris X9 that I really wanted. But due to the possibility that the Boris X9 might only be available in late March, I had to look at other options.

So I figured I'd order the Minnesota for now and once it came in I'd decide what I'd do for the second Fat Bike. I was originally thinking I'd just go ahead and order the Boris X9 for me and I'd just ride the Minnesota until the Boris X9 came in. Once the Boris X9 came in, I'd give the Minnesota to the GF and I'd keep the Boris X9 for myself

With the recent release of the Nashbar Fatbike, it's really peaked my interest and I'm seriously considering it as the second bike instead of the Boris due to the steel frame and the earlier availability. I'd probably be quite happy with a second Minnesota 2.0, but I'd like to get something different if possible.

So right now I'm leaning towards a Boris X9 for my second Fatbike, but I don't want to order it until I first hear comments on the Nashbar Fatbike if possible. So I'm keeping a close eye on the Boris X9 inventory and I'm hoping they won't sell out before someone can actually get their hands on a Nashbar Fatbike.

If I see that the Boris X9 stock becomes limited, I think I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and order it but hopefully I'll be able to compare the 2 before I have to order.
    Current bikes:
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2

mtbr member
    O I will make sure to post lots about it, I really am excited to get one! I was between the Motobecane Boris X9 and Fantom Pro as well but looking at what you get I on both bikes going back and forth the steel frame got me. It was a tie between the Boris X9 and the Fantom Pro but as soon as the Nashbar one announced I pounced on it when the coupon came up lol.

I think the steel frame will be nice and the sliding dropouts I like alot if you ever wanna go SS fatty. The Boris has that sexy looking frame and some nice stuff on it but for the price and the fact I had my eyes set on steel I said why not.

On a side note I looked at the Surly Pugs and at cost they are $1,089.00 for almost the same stuff as the Nashbar. You get BB5, Shimano group, Surly Parts but looking at the two side by side steel frame even my friend who owns the shop shook his head at the Pug price :/

Loser
    I just got back from a ride on my FB-4 on singletrack - no snow here right now. It was a really great ride. My normal bike is a Niner RIP9 - FS 29er, so I guess that's my point of comparison. I've done a few snow rides, but most of my rides are on dirt - we just don't get much snow here. I am surprised how much fun the fatty is and how often i reach for that bike as opposed to my RIP9. The weight and rolling resistance are the two negatives for the fatty. It definitely takes more effort to get those heavy wheels spun up, once you get them rolling the bike moves really well.

I don't think there are any secrets to riding it on dirt - although you have to remember its a rigid bike. Its easy to forget its rigid until you charge into a rock garden and you get a rude awakening.

As has been posted many times the key to these bikes is the tire pressure, too hard and you get bounced around, too little and its slow and you risk flats. There's a magic spot where its sort of like a suspended bike and everything is good.

I see that Nashbar has those Vee Mission tires, I would try to get a pair of On One Floaters or Nates to replace those, I REALLY didn't like those tires. The self steer is really bad and they don't have much tread for snow riding.

mtbr member
    We don't get a ton of snow in NJ or at least the part I am in. But I have seen a bit of negative feedback on those Vee Missions. Probably going to see how they do in the local trails to try and wear them down as much as I can but if they stink I am going to look into the floaters they have a ton of great reviews.

I find I go for my single speed 29er more now but when this thing comes I know this is going to be my daily trail bike. I like strange and different things. I am sure I am going to hear it from my friends who I ride with but my goal is to show them up on a fat bike =P I think a lot of people who never tried one or don't know about them hear these views based on nothing more then just rumor to come up with ways to bash them.

I never tested one out even tho a few people told me to before I bought one but if it can do the things I have seen it do and what people use them for I am sold! I ended up clearing out a ton of parts I had just taking up space and sold a spare junker mtb to end up paying for this guy. I even lost some sleep thinking way to much about coupons and sales lol. I cant wait to get my 1st ride in on a fat bike. This will be my 1st rigid bike so I hope the low tire pressure and steel gives it some shock absorbing but I am going to have a rude awaking if I don't pay attention on some of my local trails lol.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kawidan View Post
    Look forward to hearing your comments on it when you get it. I currently have a Minnesota 2.0 on order but I ordered a 18" frame instead of a 20" thinking I'd probably end up giving it to the GF.
    I would like to hear how you like the Minnesota, I looked at that one as well before the nashbar fatty was announced. If you dont mind me asking how tall are you to go for the 18? Or were you in between sizes? I wish the nashbar ETT was a tad bit longer but I think if I went with the 19 id have a top tube in my boys or any bail would lead to a kick in the.... I had to go with a 400mm post to fit my riding style with the 17. A 350 post on all my MTB seems to be just right on the post line. I am only 5'10 but my build is evenly matched for leg and arm length.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'11 and if you look at the sizing of the Minnesota 2.0 I was right in between the 18 and the 20"

Sizing

16" -- 5'5" - 5'9"

18" -- 5'8" - 6'0"

20" -- 5'11" - 6'3"

I could of went with the 20" but my GF is 5'6" so I figured if I do decide to give her the Minnesota, she would probably be OK on the 18" vs the 20".

If I do decide to order a second Minnesota 2.0 instead of the Boris X9 or the Nashbar, I'll probably end up ordering a 16" for her and keep the 18" Only issue is that she really liked the White/Orange color combo and it's now sold out in 16" LOL
    Current bikes:
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2

mtbr member
    Those Minnesota's do look nice, but I like the External BB on the Nashbar. I would like the rim cut outs but I can live with the solids. I did see a DIY to make your own but at this point I will stick with the solid rim.

Did any of you guys try out a fat bike before you bought one? When I was talking about getting one before the nashbar was announced a bunch of friends got on me about how I should try it out and make sure I even like it. And then I heard all there negative responses to them. I am solid on it from just watching them in action, Seen one on the trails today when I went hiking and man..... I started day dreaming lol

mtbr member
    I borrowed a friend's Norco Bigfoot a few weeks ago to try out just to make sure I'd enjoy it. A have a few friends with Bigfoot's, Pugsley's and Moonlander's and they rave about them, but I wanted try one out just to be sure.

One ride is all it took to convince me. From the smile I had on my face to the comments and looks that people gave me, I was hooked.

As you can see I approve.

Nashbar Fat Bike, who else pulled the trigger?-img_20140105_135048.jpg
    Current bikes:
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2

mtbr member
    haha well that sold me yet again! I am going to end up putting on some shimano SPD pedals but I see a ton of fat bikes with platforms I guess for major snow riding it probably is better to use the platforms? We just dont get that much snow in my part of NJ, even when the trails are covered I still ride my 29er with normal tires and my SPD's

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The sliding dropouts are nice, I was a bit on the fence about the non replaceable hanger with the Nashbar but with the sliding drop outs you can use the problem solver hanger or since its steel just weld a new tab.
    Non-replaceable hangers are pretty standard on steel frames, because if the hanger is bent it can usually be bent back, unlike aluminum.

mtbr member
    I just noticed you get a set of 29er wheels as well with your 2.0! Thats really cool to at least have if you ever wanna mix it up. I mean I cant really say Id convert mine since I have a 29er but thats a nice little toss in for the price. Rims, tires, tubes and even a cassette =O

mtbr member
    Well I got a 4 pack of DH tubes today as some back ups and a bottle of stans to shoot a little in the tubes just as a back up, got my pedals, bash, post and 10 more days till it ships! Just need the bike =O Debating if I wanna get a set of BB7 or just leave the MX 5 calipers on and see how they do. Those are the only thing I am kind of iffy on. The new ones you can adjust with a barrel but last years seem to be 5mm key on each side after tension is set.... well always the barrels at the levers.

We got over 10 inch so far of snow and still coming, most this winter and boy I wish I had my fat bike to go frolic in it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm about the same height as you and If I order one it will more than likely be a large or 19" as the eff is the same as my current rig. btw. I had a Jones Diamond frame which I believe has a seat tube of about 18" with the stock rigid fork and there was more than enough stand over. I normally get bikes in the 17 -18 range but these bikes run short in the top tube. What's you pant inseam?

mtbr member
    With no shoes on and to my boys its a bit over 32. I was thinking about the large frame but dont forget with those big old fat wheels I have a feeling that its going to give it a 29er stance feel so I am going to go by what I ride on 29er vs 26er. I ride 17-17.5 29er but for my 26 I like an 18,18.5,19 frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Debating if I wanna get a set of BB7 or just leave the MX 5 calipers on and see how they do. Those are the only thing I am kind of iffy on. The new ones you can adjust with a barrel but last years seem to be 5mm key on each side after tension is set.... well always the barrels at the levers.
    One of my bikes came with MX4 brakes and they really weren't that bad, other than the lack of tool-free adjustability. My suggestion is to ride them until the pads wear down and then upgrade to BB7s. If there's 10" of snow, you're not really going to need brakes anyway. Tires, on the other hand, would be a very wise investment.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Be sure to post up your thoughts on how it fits as I'm contemplating a large.

mtbr member
    One of my bikes came with MX4 brakes and they really weren't that bad, other than the lack of tool-free adjustability. My suggestion is to ride them until the pads wear down and then upgrade to BB7s. If there's 10" of snow, you're not really going to need brakes anyway. Tires, on the other hand, would be a very wise investment.
    I am wondering why the hate on the Vee Rubber Mission 26x4.0, I have been really digging around and the 120 Vee's dont really seem to be all that bad. I mean most have said they are better then the stock BFL(Lower model BFL) that come on the Pugs and most reviews seem to favor them on single track, mud, sand and snow. I am honestly going to wait a tire upgrade out until I have the bike in my hands and can see for my self. Not that I dont believe others but looking at the tread spacing, pattern, 120TPI I find it hard to just toss a brand new set of tires before I can make that call. I am in NJ so while we do get snow its really rare to get a blizzard + I cant see how they can be bad with out riding them.

Quote Originally Posted by djembe975 View Post
    Be sure to post up your thoughts on how it fits as I'm contemplating a large.
    O I will! Hopefully it ships out next Friday and I have it mid week. I normally get my Nashbar stuff if shipped Fedex with in 3 days max. So if it ships Friday I should have it no later then Tuesday and put together that night.... 1st ride will be that day or Wednesday lol thats my plan of attack! I just gotta remember to take pictures of unboxing lol.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I am wondering why the hate on the Vee Rubber Mission 26x4.0.I
    Not really hating on the Mission tire... it would just be one of my last choices for snow or mud. It looks like a decent tire for dry trails and one of the better tires on sand, so I'm certainly not proposing that you chuck them.

My Floaters were really hunting for traction on some snowy singletrack this week, so a much more aggressive tread is my recommendation if you really want to enjoy yourself in the snow.

Looking forward to the unboxing and ride report...

mtbr member
    I tried a Norco Bigfoot with the 72tpi Mission tires and during the ride I had 2 other guys with Moonlander's who were running BUD/LOU combo I believe. The 3 things I noticed right away was first they don't have much side grip. This was somewhat corrected by dropping the air pressure pretty low which led to the second problem. With having to run such a low air pressure, you end up with a much greater rolling resistance than the other tires, and the third thing was when stopped, when it came time to take off, the guys on the Moonlanders would just get on their bikes and start pedaling. If I tried the same thing on the Bigfoot, I would just spin out and stop. I would always have to push the bike forward a bit to get going. It was more noticeable when trying to take off on a slight up hill.

The good thing was that once I got them rolling, I could pretty much follow the Moonlanders and climb every hill that they climbed. During the entire ride, there was only 1 hill that they climbed that I wasn't able to climb and I was the one leading the way up the hill when I had to stop about 3/4 of the way up when I met a guy walking with his dog and I had to slow down a bit and I ended up spinning out when I lost my momentum. The Moonlanders just went past me and kept on climbing.

To me personally I didn't find the Mission's that bad but those are the only ones I've tried myself. I came away with an impression "Not to Bad" and I figured if the 72tpi are not bad, the 120tpi should hopefully a bit better.

Traction wise I didn't have much to complain about, so I'm thinking the 120tpi should hopefully be a bit better. The biggest problem will be the side grip and I don't know if the 120tpi will help any. As I mentioned, the lower air pressure helped somewhat, but you will get more resistance. The way I look at it, more rolling resistance = more effort which equals to better training LOL

Eventually I'll probably end up going with some Nates but for now I don't think I immediately have to go out and upgrade the tires.
    Current bikes:
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2

mtbr member
    Not really hating on the Mission tire... it would just be one of my last choices for snow or mud. It looks like a decent tire for dry trails and one of the better tires on sand, so I'm certainly not proposing that you chuck them.

My Floaters were really hunting for traction on some snowy singletrack this week, so a much more aggressive tread is my recommendation if you really want to enjoy yourself in the snow.

Looking forward to the unboxing and ride report...
    Ah ok that clears it up a bit, a few post have stated to just chuck them but looking at tire prices I would almost rather replace the tires last on the list of things. I think out of the box its going to be amazing for the stuff I have planned for it. I have an app in to adopt a new furry little friend so things may be a bit hectic during the week the bike arrives. But with that said I have some awesome double track cross country style trails I will probably heading 1st and hopefully start training her for my local trails. Filled with tons of sand, mud and streams. Stuff that would make you scream riding a normal MTB in them =P

I have been refreshing nashbars page every day, maybe get lucky with an early shipping date!

_____

I am thinking the same thing with the 120's. They should be a bit better then the 72's. I think also they changed the tread pattern with the new 120's? I could be wrong but I saw something that looked more spaced out but that could have been the Origin 8's (also made by Vee)

Loser
    I'm a Vee Mission hater. I had the 72 TPI version on my bike when I got it. I only rode it in the dirt, so I can't speak to the traction in snow - though in just looking at the tread, I think they wouldn't be great. My dislike comes from their very bad self steer. We have a lot of large rocks around here and transitioning from dirt to rock slab was almost dangerous - the tire would grab and it would pull really bad. I imagine I could have gotten used to it eventually, but the Floaters are so more well behaved.

YMMV and all that stuff.

mtbr member
    Bad news! 2/7/2014 shipping now =( Just called Nashbar thinking OOOO maybe mine will be shipping sooner and these are the next date well guess they pushed it back another week so now back to a two week count down.

mtbr member
    Well I had nothing to do today and while I am trying to kill days waiting to get this bad boy I figured Id better make a stand to hold this fatty for when I am not riding it =P

Need to do some a little bit to it still, its not glued yet but I want to make sure everything fits before I put the caps on the legs and slap some glue on it. I think I need to trim the back connectors some and the mid connectors I left a bit bigger then I needed since I dont have the bike its better to go a tad bigger then shave it down then under shoot it!

Really sturdy stand and $13.00 (that is if you already have the primer and glue). I made one for my 29er a week ago and as you can see I have one I am making for my 26 full squish.

Loser
    There's a 20% off coupon right now at Nashbar, I tried it and it works on the fat bike - $813 for the bike delivered to your door, well my door, but you get the point. Coupon code is 36184, and is only good for 12 hours.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Kawidan View Post
    I tried a Norco Bigfoot with the 72tpi Mission tires and during the ride I had 2 other guys with Moonlander's who were running BUD/LOU combo I believe. The 3 things I noticed right away was first they don't have much side grip. This was somewhat corrected by dropping the air pressure pretty low which led to the second problem. With having to run such a low air pressure, you end up with a much greater rolling resistance than the other tires, and the third thing was when stopped, when it came time to take off, the guys on the Moonlanders would just get on their bikes and start pedaling. If I tried the same thing on the Bigfoot, I would just spin out and stop. I would always have to push the bike forward a bit to get going. It was more noticeable when trying to take off on a slight up hill.

The good thing was that once I got them rolling, I could pretty much follow the Moonlanders and climb every hill that they climbed. During the entire ride, there was only 1 hill that they climbed that I wasn't able to climb and I was the one leading the way up the hill when I had to stop about 3/4 of the way up when I met a guy walking with his dog and I had to slow down a bit and I ended up spinning out when I lost my momentum. The Moonlanders just went past me and kept on climbing.

To me personally I didn't find the Mission's that bad but those are the only ones I've tried myself. I came away with an impression "Not to Bad" and I figured if the 72tpi are not bad, the 120tpi should hopefully a bit better.

Traction wise I didn't have much to complain about, so I'm thinking the 120tpi should hopefully be a bit better. The biggest problem will be the side grip and I don't know if the 120tpi will help any. As I mentioned, the lower air pressure helped somewhat, but you will get more resistance. The way I look at it, more rolling resistance = more effort which equals to better training LOL

Eventually I'll probably end up going with some Nates but for now I don't think I immediately have to go out and upgrade the tires.
    I am not liking the vee's at all, I had basically the same issues as yourself, spinning trying to get moving and on a slight grade made it even worse. I was following two other riders and even when in their tracks my tires would slip and I went down about 6 times.I had the pressure low and being new to fatbikes I laughed at the first 3 dumps after that I was getting a little verbal out in them dare woods.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Hmm I just refreshed the page and its showing they are in stock! I wonder if they are going to be coming out sooner then 2/7!

OOOOO yeah! So it looks like its going to be shipping out this friday!!! Cant wait just got off the phone with nashbar and they said late friday I should have a tracking number

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fahza29er View Post
    I am not liking the vee's at all, I had basically the same issues as yourself, spinning trying to get moving and on a slight grade made it even worse. I was following two other riders and even when in their tracks my tires would slip and I went down about 6 times.I had the pressure low and being new to fatbikes I laughed at the first 3 dumps after that I was getting a little verbal out in them dare woods.
    Love reading posts like this, lets me know I'm not alone. Sometimes nigh unto impossible to get going in snow, even with the tread reversed, which helps some. Even though I'm a fatbike noob, I figure it comes down to either I don't know how to ride a bike in the snow (unlikely, having grown up doing just that), or there must be better tires out there -- otherwise fatbiking wouldn't be gaining in popularity the way it is, because nobody could get going in snow. But I liked the Missions fine back in the fall, on dirt, mud, wet leaves, in the creek, etc.

I posted a few days ago about how I'll be getting Missions for 3-season use; these tires breaking traction on ice causing me to crash pretty hard since then, doesn't change my opinion. But, I've always preferred reasonably-priced "good 'nuff" tires over top-of-the-line tires, i.e. I always ran Ritchey Megabites BITD instead of the way-more-expensive Smoke/Dart. Also, I'm a heavyweight, and can see where I'd wear out the sidewalls faster on "better" tires, making them that much more expensive.
    Denver Broncos: 101-3 since 1975 when scoring 30+ at home.

C.J. Anderson career YPC = 5.67

mtbr member
    Hopefully tomorrow my Fat bike will be shipping out!

mtbr member
    Lame so Nashbar messed up my order and it never got sent out today. I called and they said the system is down to check orders so I have to call tomorrow morning to reorder my bike.... O well looks like I am going to have to wait a day longer then I expected. Hopefully tomorrow they can sort it out and have it on its way.

I love that they added pay pal to there payment option but this is now the 2nd time using pay pal on a backorder item I got shafted with my order. Seems that since you send the order in and they dont bill you till the item is in stock pay pal then kicks the order out like I didnt make it.

mtbr member
    Got it sorted out and it should be shipped out today so in the next few days you guys will see some pictures of it! I did end up getting new bars and stem since the stock ones are going to probably be some HL Corp heavy ones with lots of flex in them. So got a set of Black Ops Bars and an OS Stem to go alone with them.

Going to see how the MX5 Brakes do before I go and change them. I have seen a few reviews on them saying good things and other then the fact they can only be adjusted by a 5mm key I cant see why they wont work just as well as my other bikes with Tektro IO and Novela Brakes. Lots of bad reviews on them and they have been great to me. Obviously not as great of stopping power as my Elixir 3's but they sure do the job!

Strange thing tho, when I called the lady I spoke to said "Well gosh I see why you wanted to honor the sale receipt I had" The bike seems to be listed to $1,999.99 I know there system was down getting maintenance so I don't know if they messed up a bunch of the prices and made the $999.99 compared to $1,999.99 just the main price by mistake but lord if its going to be that much now I am happy I snagged one at the lower price.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    At this price, it doesn't seem like a bargain Nashbar Big Ol' Fat Bike - Hard Tail

bhc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    As of today, Feb 1 at 1:30pm, the Nashbar website has it listed at $1999.99. That will slow down the sales of the bike.

Loser
    They have to advertise it at full price for at least a little while to give some credence to their "50% off" price. Anyone who pays $1999 for that bike should call me, I've got a lightly used FB-4 I'll sell for half that.

mtbr member
    Well yeah I am sure they are going to drop the price of it. I am just happy I was able to get mine when I did and they honored the price. A lot of there stuff went up even the road bike frame that was always 99.99 is now 119.99. I dont know if it had to do with the inventory maintenance they did last night or if they are for real but as of now if you didn't get it at the 800-900 range Id say wait it out, get a BD.com or Min 2.0.

Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    They have to advertise it at full price for at least a little while to give some credence to their "50% off" price. Anyone who pays $1999 for that bike should call me, I've got a lightly used FB-4 I'll sell for half that.
    Jisch you going to keep the Nashbar fat bike as your main fatty =O

Loser
    Sorry, I didn't order a Nashbar the other day, I just put it in my shopping cart to see if the coupon applied - those coupons don't always apply to bikes.

My next fatty will be carbon fiber (hopefully). I love my FB4, great bike, but if I get another one I want it to be under 30lbs (hopefully well under). I don't feel its worth it to dump money into the FB4 to get it to that point.

mtbr member
    Ah I see. Yeah I have seen a ton of people talking about carbon fat bikes but I totally went the other way =O I wanted steel haha. Would you ever consider a TI frame?

Did you do anything to your FB4 or did you keep it stock? That bike seems solid as is with all the parts that comes on it. I probably should have went that route since I swapped out the bars, seat, seatpost, stem and probably would have kept everything stock on the FB4 if I went with a BD fat bike. I wish they had a steel version. There was talk about a TI Moto Fat bike I wonder if that will show its face sooner or later.

Loser
    I swapped rear derailleur, cassette, tires, went tubeless and put a dropper post on it. Love the bike though. I'd go ti, but have to see the price

mtbr member
    I swapped rear derailleur, cassette, tires, went tubeless and put a dropper post on it. Love the bike though. I'd go ti, but have to see the price

I am going to wait till I break my rear derailleur before I replace it =P I have a TI road bike and I love it. I actually like riding it over my full carbon bike. Its light, power to the pedals so fast and I dont feel like I have to fear it cracking. Id love a Moto Ti 29er frame to swap my parts over to from my Aluminum 29er.

Hmmm question for you.... Did you go tubeless with a real kit or did you go ghetto tubeless. I have been playing with the idea of this. Since I have a bottle of stans and a roll of gorilla tape (The widest one) sitting around my room

Loser
    I did split tube. I've tried gorilla tape before, split tube. is just easier and I believe better as you don't have to worry about the sealant wrecking the stick on the tape.

mtbr member
    I did split tube. I've tried gorilla tape before, split tube. is just easier and I believe better as you don't have to worry about the sealant wrecking the stick on the tape.

What size tube did you use for the Split tube? I might just put some stans in the tubes and see how they hold up but I keep toying with the idea of running tubeless on my fat bike

Loser
    I did tubeless to save weight. You have to find 24 x 2.4 tubes

mtbr member
    What type of vavle did you use or didnt matter since its a tube pulling down on your rim. Really I guess it just matters whats your rim drilled for? I want to try the ghetto gorilla tape way on my full suspension and 29ers but they are drilled for schrader.

mtbr member
    Well I will have my bike with in the next few days! I did a test run on a set of my 29er rims off of one of my bikes to see how gorilla tape tubeless works and got it down! Nice and easy, rear wheel was a bit hard to set the bead because I am using motorcycle valve stems since I have schrader rims and they can be screwed on nice and snug. I have a set of presta valves for my Fatty and will convert them over to tubes if these hold up!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have really been thinking about this bike and now with the 20% off it is real tempting. Hmmmm.... $820 shipped is a pretty good deal I think although I am still not sure if I would use one.
    '11 Specialized Crux Pink SS
    '15 Trek Farley 6 Fat Bike
    '15 Specialized Fatboy
    '12 Specialized Crux Skittles

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    And... I just took advantage of the 20 percent off and bought the Nashbar Fat Ol' Bike. $800 bucks isn't a bad deal, with plenty of left over cash if I need a new set of tires, brakes, or whatever!

I'll check back to let you all know how the ride is, I'm coming from just having sold a one size too big Mukluk (and was thinking I was going to get a pugs before I discovered this thread) that rode wonderfully but raunched me again and again.

mtbr member
    Well boys and girls I have put it together and its freaking sexy! Stay put after I eat some dinner I will post up some pictures of this bad boy and my impression. Tomorrow will be the 1st ride impression so keep in mind I havnt gotten it out on the trails but its all built up and ready to roll....over EVERYTHING!

mtbr member
    pics people pics! lol and weight

mtbr member
    Ok so.... Lets get this party started! Well lets first start by saying holy crap even the box was fat 0.o I dragged the thing down stairs and got started as soon as I got home from work. Well packed and no scratches or dings from shipping. Everything was just as pictured and I of course stripped a few things off and swapped out some parts I gathered while I was waiting for the bike. I didnt go tubeless on it yet, but I did pull the tubes out and hit them with some stans sealant!

Nashbar did a great job on this bike and I cant wait to get a real ride on it. The welds are great, the paint is really really really good. The price was well worth the bike and honestly I cant think of one real bad thing about it other then removing the rear wheel is a bit odd and I have to get used to the whole sliding drop outs with a derailleur.

The Bike is as built in the pictures 38 pounds. That is with a Cage, Pedals, Stans 50CC of Stans Sealant in each tube and the parts I swapped to. Honestly I am impressed, its a Full Steel Fatty so I figured about that much. I didnt get a stock weight as it was just easier for me to build it up and now have to mount things to un mount them.

As for the bike fit. I ordered a size 17, I am 5'10 and as you can see I have a lot of post sticking out of the frame. Its a 400mm post and while I have it at a good guessing height it might come down or up a tad bit once I figure out how it rides in my riding gear. The stock 350 post would have never done it for me. The top tube is really the same as all my other bikes and the 19 top tube would have left me a bit stretched out. I have a TON of stand over room. More then I thought I would have. I did ride it around my driveway just now before I packed it up in my truck and it felt good. Will see on the trails. Seeing as this is almost identical or is really a Pug frame then the older Geo that this one copies would be the right size on paper for me. So in a nut shell if you are like me and could have gone both ways in size a 17 with a 400mm will work just fine for me but a 19 might have had me wondering if I ordered to big of a bike.

Now.... What most just want to see! My dog is charging her LASERS!!!!

You could probably lose another pound by taking that tube off the chainstay! I get very little chain slap on my fat bike. Put a strip of electrical tape on the top if you are worried about chipping the paint.

Looks good.
    ...Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back...

mtbr member
    Thanks Duggus! But I am not to worried about the weight of the bike. Its steel so I knew it was going to be on the heavy and honestly its not that bad, my Kona Bear is probably mid 30's and that thing can boogie!

If anyone was wondering. Stock: post 350mm, bars 700mm, stem 90mm, seat hard as a rock. Converted to a 2x9 with just a bash the chain ring bolts from the big ring hooked right up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    That post looks fully extended, what's your inseam? Also, what is the length of the fork?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Sorry if this has even covered elsewhere, but is this basically a pugsley frame with lesser components? Or is there more of a difference than that?

mtbr member
    That post looks fully extended, what's your inseam? Also, what is the length of the fork?
    little bit over 32. Will have to get back to you on fork length. I didnt ride it with my riding shoes, shorts yet so it might come down a bit but there is about 1.5 inches left before its fully extended. I couldnt really see a 19 fitting me at 5'10, I went with a top tube length vs stand over. Even the Motobecane fat bikes are the same around about with stand over. All my mountain bikes have a 400mm post but with the top tube angle I feel like I have tons of room.

Quote Originally Posted by Willum View Post
    Sorry if this has even covered elsewhere, but is this basically a pugsley frame with lesser components? Or is there more of a difference than that?
    Its looks just like the older pugsley frame but its with the same components. I think this one actually has a better crank set and the new Pug when I looked in the shop book came with Shimano vs Sram.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thanks for posting the pics! I got an email saying mine was on the way, and your detailed photos just have me more excited. I'm hoping I don't have the same seatpost issues at 5'9 with a 30 inch inseam. Otherwise the bike looks fantastic, how was the ride?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Which of your pictures gives the more accurate idea of it's color? I didn't particularly like that shade of green as it shows on their site, but some of your pictures give it a different shade, which I find more attractive.

mtbr member
    Few pictures from todays 1st ride! Wow I love this thing.... I think this is going to be my new main trail bike, even after the winter this thing is a just a blast to ride. I cant wait to take it in the mud or bomb some single track. It handles so good and its nothing I can compare it to in terms of ride.

The only tracks out in the local trails today was from me from Tuesday. I road my Full Suspension W/Studded Tires. The trails were ice and crunchy icy snow so needless to say it probably wasn't the proper riding conditions to be out in but the fatty did its job and rode like a champ! I was able to climb some stuff I couldn't pull off on my FS W/Studs and this thing just blasted over logs, roots and the snow. The ride quality of the frame and tires is amazing. I gotta say I can notice its steel even tho with the low tire pressure I could feel the features of a steel frame. Since the trails had some hunter foot prints I was getting knocked around a bit but the steel frame was absorbing the hell out of it.

The Sram X5/7 works and well! Its nice and smooth shifting, to be honest you wouldn't think the rear was X5 unless you looked. Was crisp and fast and between my X9 Rear derailleur the shifting wasn't that much different. The drivetran is smooth as well and the cranks are solid! BB spins perfectly. Hayes MX5 disc brakes will be staying, they perform great, they are even better then the Tektro IO and Novela models. Unless something happens to them I will not be upgrading them till they kick the bucket. Tires are solid as well, I could see them getting upgraded when the time comes but they work and did really good. They handled better then my studded tires and grip was good for the most part. I did slip on a few climbs in the snow but the snow was hard and icy so if it was soft fresh snow I wouldn't have had a problem.

All in all 100% satisfied with the bike! I did drop my post down a bit now that I got a ride on it. As for the fit now that I got to ride it on the trails. 17 is perfect! The bike its self has a massively LOW slopping top tube but the reach is perfect. I even called up Nashbar at work and talked to one of the techs just to make sure I wasn't crazy and they even said no matter what size you get your going to have a massive stand over clearance. Its just how the bike is built, they even said a 19 would be for someone 6ft+ and I should have a lot of post showing. Well now its dropped down some as you can see in the 2nd to last picture. I would have been disappointed if I sized up

Fun things you can do with your fat bike!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcowan View Post
    Thanks for posting the pics! I got an email saying mine was on the way, and your detailed photos just have me more excited. I'm hoping I don't have the same seatpost issues at 5'9 with a 30 inch inseam. Otherwise the bike looks fantastic, how was the ride?
    Congrats on the bike you are going to love it! I think you should be ok, I did drop my post down a bit once I got out on a ride. I just kind of slapped everything on and got the bike ready to ride in the trails and figured my 1st ride would be adjusting things. I moved the controls around and seat height.

Quote Originally Posted by IcecreamLtDan View Post
    Which of your pictures gives the more accurate idea of it's color? I didn't particularly like that shade of green as it shows on their site, but some of your pictures give it a different shade, which I find more attractive.
    As for the paint. The website does not do justice on how amazing good the green looks. You have to see it in person but its wonderful. They make it look look a bit ugly on the site. While I did find it attractive to give it some roughness I think the pain job you see in person is the bee's knee's!

Id say the ones that have my dogs in the pictures gives the best view of the paint but its really amazing looking dont let the website fool you!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    the site list the 17 as having a 105mm head tube length yet in your pics it looks a bit longer. Is it actually longer than 105?

mtbr member
    the site list the 17 as having a 105mm head tube length yet in your pics it looks a bit longer. Is it actually longer than 105?
    Sorry Dj, I will have to find a ruler and take some measurements. The stats on the site should be correct tho, the HT isnt that large. If I remember to find my tape measure and bring it out with me will take jot it down.

As for the bike.... WOW I am loving it I have 4 rides on it since I got it and I love this bike. All of them have been with snow. The one this afternoon was with fresh stuff to! The bike handles great and is like driving a monster truck over stuff. I have been crushing log piles that are covered in snow, making my own detours over stuff and just loving how amazing a fat bike is. I have been messing with tire pressure to get that sweet spot. I had no problem today on climbing with the adjustment to PSI. I dont have what I have it set to by number but more by feel. Its crazy to think that you can ride that low...but it works and works very well. Digs right in and gets me going with out a problem.

I have zero complaints about the bike other then I wanna ride it now with out snow to see how it handles on the normal trails and in mud! But it sure does feel great to be out on the trails while everyone is to chicken to ride in the snow. Its a wonderful thing to be having a blast and you look around to find that you are the only nut job out on the trails having this much fun!

One crazy thing is you would think it would take a lot to get those wheels up. You can launch this bike off the smallest lips and wheelie like no tomorrow. I got some really nice air today in the snow just bombing off a lip/snow covered root. The other day I launched it off something covered in snow its like you have helium in your tires! And lands sooooo smooth with no snake bite flats yet

Nashbar has a 20% off a single item and I hope some of you other guys thinking about this bike pull the trigger.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Willum View Post

Hi Willum,

I didn't see it noted in the responses to you above, but this bike has a 170mm rear end, not the 135mm of the Pugsley. This is according to the Nashbar website.

Pretty significant difference, IMO.

FYI,
    Paul

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I was told by a rep that the rear had a 135mm can you confirm it ian? Also, what's the fork length?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Mine arrives Thursday! Same day as a big @ss snow storm.

mtbr member
    I was told by a rep that the rear had a 135mm can you confirm it ian? Also, what's the fork length?
    Crown to Axle looks to be 17.5 inches so 444.5mm as for the rear it looks to be a 170mm

Sorry to not get back sooner! Hopefully it was what you needed to know. Been very busy last week and finally got a chance to find a ruler and bring the back in on the work stand to do some tinkering.

Nice day for a ride..... Moderator
    Well I picked up a Nashbar Fatbike today and had some help getting it built......

Box inspection

So far so good dad

Made a few changes during the build, swapped the Hayes brakes for Avid BB7s (run them on all my bikes) that I happened to have a brand new set of sitting around, levers are Avid FRs which is A1. Removed the big ring and replaced it with a lightweight bash guard, the stock steel ring is HEAVY.

My thoughts:
    -The Sram X5 kit is decent stuff, shifts well and feels solid
    -bar, stem, post, grips, seat are all Meh....
    -Hubs seem pretty nice, good looking machine work on them
    -welding on the frame is ace
    -dropouts are cool, easy for geared or SS setup
    -cable routing is clean
    -chain is pretty close to the tire in the granny ring / 1st gear combo
    -would have been nice if they had spec'd a 400mm post for us tall folk.

I'll do a review after a few rides.
    Bikin' Bric's Bike Blog

2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fat Bike
    2016 RSD Catalyst 700+
    2016 RSD Sergeant

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikin' Bric View Post
    Well I picked up a Nashbar Fatbike today and had some help getting it built......
    Dude! Congrats your going to love it! Nice move on the bash, I wanted to post up about that. The bike sits very low to ground, I actually never really hit much with my full suspension or 29ers but I noticed I am very thankful for putting a bash on it. That large ring would have been trashed by now. I had to get a 400mm on my post as well and my thoughts exactly on the bars, stem and grips.

I got a ton of miles on mine now and I really love it. Had a few rides this last week on dirt since the snow cleared up and its a ton of fun on the normal single track. Snow or not I love it! Tires next year is what I will be upgrading but with winter coming to an end I dont wanna buy snow tires and let them sit around. I like the Missions in the dirt they book it!

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: Nashbar Fat Bike, who else pulled the trigger?

It looks like Nashbar went to Maxway (factory that makes frames for Surly) for this bike. So it should be like Surly quality for the frame. Not a bad deal.

Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    It looks like Nashbar went to Maxway (factory that makes frames for Surly) for this bike. So it should be like Surly quality for the frame. Not a bad deal.
    Butted tubeset, 170mm rear end, and better dropouts (IMO) than Surly. I think Nashbar hit this one out of the park. Frame looks to be high quality and the welding / fit and finish are excellent.
    Bikin' Bric's Bike Blog

2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fat Bike
    2016 RSD Catalyst 700+
    2016 RSD Sergeant

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    The boxes they're shipped in are marked "Asahi Enterprises Corp" with a Taiwan address.

ASAHI Product. Performance. Peace-of-Mind.

mtbr member
    So one thing to report is.... Other day real feel was 17 degrees out side and even tho the temp was around 26-30 while riding I could feel the ground getting frozen. I had low tire pressure and started to get some ghost pull in the front. I finished up one trail and took the path back to the lot to put some more air in my tires. Even around 8-10PSI in the front I was still getting some pull so going to pump some more up when I venture out today and see if that helps.

I thought I bent the fork or something, I was riding a few trails really hard and jumping off stuff left and right. Next thing I know I feel this random want to just pull off to one side or twitchy feeling. I could hear the single track cracking as I rolled over it. It reminded me slightly when I took it on the pavement to cross the road and I was getting that squirmy feeling.

Other then that I still am loving the bike, Nashbar did a great job on it! If you can get one on sale its a must. But I do now see what people are saying about the tires and ghost pulling. All the rides I have had on it was snow, slush, muddy or moist single track but nothing frozen hard packed till yesterday.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I turned both tire around so the point is towards the rear. I don't have a ride report yet, but I strongly suspect the narrow point of the standard mounting leads to a lot of this ghost steering.

The square (and wider surface area) edge of the back of the triangle should (theoretically) provide more drive from the rear tire.

mtbr member
    I was wondering about doing that to the front tire. The rear I have not had a problem with but the front was pulling

mtbr member
    Nashbar: $1,099.99
    SAVE 45% = $900.00

Nashbar Big Ol' Fat Bike - Mountain Bikes

If I didn't already have my Pugs, I think I would jump on this. Still, with the REI credits and GC my kids gave me, the Pugs was a better deal for me and I have the better tires and bottle cage mounts. This bike has only one.

edit .. I know from previous posts with the Charge Cooker that also comes with the Vee tires, the people who bought that bike changed out the tires and the brakes.

Just got back from my first ride the the Nash-fat, my thoughts so far:

-The handlebar has to go, not enough sweep for me
    -Grips also suck
    -Bike goes surprisingly fast. Once you muster it up to speed it stays there relatively well.
    -Needs some compression-less brake cable housing.
    -It took me through stuff I never would have made on my 29er.
    -Climbing traction is amazing, its slow going but it will get there without worry.

The trails were packed down well from hikers and the packed snow / ice made for some quick riding. In the spots that did not see foot traffic it tended to float on top of the crust well, but when it did break though there was no more going forward. Tires were at 10psi. I did notice a bit of self steer with the tires but nothing that can't be easily compensated for. The bigger trick for me was getting use to the gyro effect of the heavy wheels. I can say that I did notice this much more on the pavement sections I rode then the actual trail.
    I got lots of looks from people I came across, they couldn't believe the size of the tires. Fat bikes are not commonplace in my area....yet.

So far, I love this thing.

Bikin' Bric's Bike Blog

2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fat Bike
    2016 RSD Catalyst 700+
    2016 RSD Sergeant

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I received my Big Ol' just last week. I got it for $830 with shipping. My plan was to put $500 in upgrades into it to see if I could get the weight down to a respectable level. I bought a Carver carbon fork, an FSA carbon bar, Easton Carbon seatpost and a pair of Vee Snowshoe tires. My plan was to also convert it to 1x10 by ditching the front derailleur and shifter. I also would convert to the wheels to tubeless.

First impressions when I pulled it out of the box were very positive. Great build quality solid parts. I did notice that it felt quite heavy though. I rode it around the block a couple of times and notice wheels were making clicking noises. More on that later. I also noticed the self steer behavior of the Vee Mission tires that every one talks about. Its a very unnerving if you ask me. I had the tires blown up to 10 psi which is what I run my Specialized Fatboy tires at. I also notice that the frame was too narrow in back to fit a real 4.7 tire. IMO, there is not enough room for a bigger tire back there.

Anyway, before I even started the parts swap I weighed the bike. My medium framed Big Ol' weighed 37.6 lbs! Holy shitt that is heavy. I had read people posting the bikes were weighing in the 34 lbs range. After calculating my upgrade weight savings I realized I would barely get the bike down about 34.0 lbs when it was all said and done. I was bummed. My plan was doomed before I even started.

When I rode the bike around the block I noticed the front wheel was making a clicking sound. Upon further inspection I found there were two broken nipples. The spokes were badly bent as well. Must've been shipping damage as I also found there were some dents and gouges in the bike box. I got lucky in a way because since the bike showed up damaged I was able to return it without paying for the return shipping.

Don't get me wrong I think it is a great bike for 800-1000. I just thought I could dress it up and make it light enough to rival my Fatboys weight of 30 lbs.

Just wanted to share my experience with you guys. Enjoy your fat bikes.

mtbr member
    Well I just contacted Nashbar I have to call back on Monday and talk to a tech about my tires. I just noticed when I took the bike in to get it ready to ride today that the casing on my rear tire is actually coming out the side wall. Its not splitting open but a bunch of fibers are starting to poke out. Its on a random spot on the tire and a large length so its not like I hit something. Its strange looking but I think the tire is defective.

Did I catch a niner+?
    Too bad I ordered a On-One Rolling Chassis build (have a lot of spare parts) this is a nice looking bike from nashbar. I am surprised they did not source microshift vs sram they seem to be big on microshift or at least were been a while since I've order from nashbar.

I do like that they do not plaster their name all over this frame, does it even have any indication that it is a nashbar frame? I think the only thing I would be changing on this bike is the tires, I am not hearing of anyone having good luck with the Vee Rubbers I hear a lot about ghosting pulling.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

Re: Nashbar Fat Bike, who else pulled the trigger?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57 View Post

I do like that they do not plaster their name all over this frame, does it even have any indication that it is a nashbar frame? I think the only thing I would be changing on this bike is the tires, I am not hearing of anyone having good luck with the Vee Rubbers I hear a lot about ghosting pulling.
    The only decal on the frame is a made in tiawan sticker under the bb. Very utilitarian look to the bike.

Ive heard alot about the vee rubbers too but they are not that bad, but I only have one ride on them. Regardless I have a set of On-One Floaters on order for a little more bite.
    Bikin' Bric's Bike Blog

2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fat Bike
    2016 RSD Catalyst 700+
    2016 RSD Sergeant

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    ..looks like a great starter fat bike. What length steerer does it need, use? Considering this and a suspension fork.

Thanks

Did I catch a niner+?
    The only decal on the frame is a made in tiawan sticker under the bb. Very utilitarian look to the bike.

Ive heard alot about the vee rubbers too but they are not that bad, but I only have one ride on them. Regardless I have a set of On-One Floaters on order for a little more bite.

I ordered the On One Rolling Chassis so I have a set myself coming, I do hear good things about these tires, they're no bud/lou or even big as a nate but I hear they do well in most conditions.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Nashbar has a 20% two-day sale going on so GET IT CHEAP while you can, if you're looking at these... less than 1K shipped.
    ..sleep is good...

My On-One Floaters came in the mail today. Decided to mount them up with lighter tubes,etc after my ride today. Did some weight measures just for comparisons sake.

The bike, all stock except for BB7 brakes and Shimano M520 pedals, as well as a spare tube in a seat bag.

Stock weight is 39lbs 1oz

OEM tube 436g

Q Tube 268g

VeeRubber Mission tires 1440g

On-One Floater 1321g

OEM rimstrip 117g

Gorilla Tape as rim strip 27g

Completed with new tires and tubes

New weight 37lbs 7oz, not too bad.

The tires had to be inflated to 40psi to seat the beads. Once seated I dropped the pressure down to 8psi.

Next project will be to replace the bar, stem, and post.
    Bikin' Bric's Bike Blog

2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fat Bike
    2016 RSD Catalyst 700+
    2016 RSD Sergeant

mtbr member
    I like that Gorilla tape idea, I never even thought to do that. Did you use a fat bike tube or is that a 26.2.X tube? I have some DH tubes I picked up but still have the stock tubes in them.

I ended up getting a set of Origin-8 Devist-8er tires from Nashbar. My rear Mission had this strange wear pattern and the cable was showing out of the tire in the spot were a really big hop was. I called Nashbar and they said just send them back and they would replace both. So no more Missions for me. The Devist-8er's are only 60TPI even tho Nashbar has them advertised as 120TPI. Bit upset that I got down graded on the tire but at the same time they actually look like they are going to perform better then the Missions and are 2x times beefy. Kevlar belt makes the tire bomb proof and feels like you can run over some nasty stuff with out fear of a snake bite!

Tomorrow will put them to the test and see how they are. Weather is calling for showers tonight so will see how well they hook in the mud vs the Missions. Bike is now 38.4lb vs its 38lb so not a big difference in weight at all with the swap of tires. They mounted right up, no hops and seated perfectly.

I like that Gorilla tape idea, I never even thought to do that. Did you use a fat bike tube or is that a 26.2.X tube? I have some DH tubes I picked up but still have the stock tubes in them.

I ended up getting a set of Origin-8 Devist-8er tires from Nashbar. My rear Mission had this strange wear pattern and the cable was showing out of the tire in the spot were a really big hop was. I called Nashbar and they said just send them back and they would replace both. So no more Missions for me. The Devist-8er's are only 60TPI even tho Nashbar has them advertised as 120TPI. Bit upset that I got down graded on the tire but at the same time they actually look like they are going to perform better then the Missions and are 2x times beefy. Kevlar belt makes the tire bomb proof and feels like you can run over some nasty stuff with out fear of a snake bite!

Tomorrow will put them to the test and see how they are. Weather is calling for showers tonight so will see how well they hook in the mud vs the Missions. Bike is now 38.4lb vs its 38lb so not a big difference in weight at all with the swap of tires. They mounted right up, no hops and seated perfectly.
    I found the Missions were good in snow as long as you didn't get lower than 10psi, then they started to self steer alot. Too bad you had a defective set, they would make a good spare set. The Devist8er looks pretty gnarly, should be much more aggressive than the VeeRubber. Let us know how they work out once you get to ride them.
    Bikin' Bric's Bike Blog

2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fat Bike
    2016 RSD Catalyst 700+
    2016 RSD Sergeant

mtbr member
    I found the Missions were good in snow as long as you didn't get lower than 10psi, then they started to self steer alot. Too bad you had a defective set, they would make a good spare set. The Devist8er looks pretty gnarly, should be much more aggressive than the VeeRubber. Let us know how they work out once you get to ride them.
    The only thing that I didnt like was I was getting a ton of self steering at really low PSI but at 150lb I had to run them low or Id be bouncing all over the trails so I was still trying to find that happy medium. Hopefully they will be much more aggressive, they look the part thats for sure! I found a few good reviews on them, only down side is they throw a lot of mud but it is mountain biking after all lol

But I did ride them in a lot of snow and slush. They did great for what came with the bike and worked. But a brand new set of tires ..... cant pass that up!

Did you happen to see my question on your tube you swapped out? Just wondering how its holding up at low PSI if its a regular MTB tube.

mtbr member
    Well 1st ride on new tires and WOW they are soooo much better. I probably had about 11-13PSI in them and they just stormed the trails. You can tell they are beefy as the Vee's had a some what softer feeling to them while these feel rugged and roll way faster. No ghost steering at all! You could take your hands off the bars and ride no problem with out it wanted to just jerk to one side. I liked the Missions as that is what it came with but these Devist-8er's are called that for a reason! They hook right up and NO slip at all. I actually was having a hard time on one climb on a trail a love to ride with the Missions and I figured it was just me trying to get used to the bike. Well I hit the climb on the Devist-8er's (Fast climb with all roots and a sharp turn at the top) and it just gripped all the way up. I never slipped or lost any momentum.

If you are looking for a better set of tires and at a good price id pick up the Devist-8er's in a heart beat. They are great tires. I didnt bust out the scale but I also dont care about weight. It was only a .4 gain on my bike so better traction, no random ghost steering and faster rolling tire is a + They also corner way better then the Missions. So I hopefully will get to test them out in the snow but I think they will do great. You can see the knobs are way more aggressive then the Missions.

Same loop I was hitting before was about an avg of 7.5-8mph on strava today was 8.1mph and I felt like I was booking it the whole time.

Last edited by ian0789; 03-16-2014 at 05:04 AM.

The tube is a Q tube (made by Kenda), size is 26x2.4-2.7" Works great so far no issues.

Glad to hear the new tires are working out, I can't wait to put some miles on the Floaters. Won't happen for a bit by the looks of it though. Our snow is melting right now and the woods are a slush mess.
    Bikin' Bric's Bike Blog

2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fat Bike
    2016 RSD Catalyst 700+
    2016 RSD Sergeant

mtbr member
    Got another ride on the new tires and yep they are good stuff. Definitely can notice them on climbing. I have had to make sure to put on my sun glasses as they do kick a ton of stuff up. We just got a bit of snow but probably wont be able to get out in it till tomorrow. Its been really nice having the trails clear, I am very much over this winter even if I do have a fat bike lol.

I have some 26x2.4-2.7 tubes but I haven't swapped them out yet. Going to wait till these get toasted. I do have one in my truck just as a backup. But I think the stans will do the job in the event I do flat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast