Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 151 to 180 of 180
  1. #151
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by safme View Post
    When did you get this deal?
    Placed On Sep 19, 2015

    They lowered the price of Fat Bikes that day...theirs and the SE. $700...then I found a percentage off coupon online...I was convinced it wouldn't apply...it did...at that price it took me about 0.1 seconds to hit the purchase button.



    My first fat bike. I have an old GT Tequesta from YEARS back. I figured it was a good deal for a first fat bike. I bought a Nashbar 105 steel cyclocross last February when I decided I wanted to get back into riding bikes again after a LONG hiatus. Liking my experience with that bike, I started snooping around at fat bikes for winter riding.

  2. #152
    mtbr member
    Reputation: safme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    149
    Can't beat that!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  3. #153
    mtbr member
    Reputation: safme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    149
    Anyone try any wider tires? Wonder what the max width that can be run is.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  4. #154
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    8
    i'm looking to install a bluto rock shox on my nashbar fat bike , can anyone give me any points as far as what else is needed to accomplish this ?

  5. #155
    Did I catch a niner+?
    Reputation: Mr Pink57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,927
    the original fork is tapered and the front hub is 150mm so not much besides installing the proper crown race on the fork and installing it. As long as this is the new aluminum one.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

  6. #156
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57 View Post
    the original fork is tapered and the front hub is 150mm so not much besides installing the proper crown race on the fork and installing it. As long as this is the new aluminum one.

    thanks Mr Pink , it is the new aluminum frame , i read some people saying they had to replace the front wheel

    this is what they said "One note thru-axles will require a new front wheel to upgrade to Bluto shock thru-axle."

  7. #157
    Did I catch a niner+?
    Reputation: Mr Pink57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,927
    Quote Originally Posted by Joecamel View Post
    thanks Mr Pink , it is the new aluminum frame , i read some people saying they had to replace the front wheel

    this is what they said "One note thru-axles will require a new front wheel to upgrade to Bluto shock thru-axle."
    I would ask Nashbar thru their chat service, they're very good about it. It could be a 150mm front end with a QR not a thru axle which is odd because then they would need a custom 150mm QR skewer just for that.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

  8. #158
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57 View Post
    I would ask Nashbar thru their chat service, they're very good about it. It could be a 150mm front end with a QR not a thru axle which is odd because then they would need a custom 150mm QR skewer just for that.
    Nashbar chat said if it is a thru axle then a new front wheel would be required

    RockShox Bluto RCT3 26" 120mm Solo Air MaxleLite15 Fast Black MC Crown Adjust Tapered A2, Black in Tree Fort Bikes Suspension Forks

    is there anyway to verify this ? i want to get my stuff down before going into a bike shop and being misled to spend additional money when i can't afford to

  9. #159
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Swerny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,685
    Quote Originally Posted by Joecamel View Post
    Nashbar chat said if it is a thru axle then a new front wheel would be required

    RockShox Bluto RCT3 26" 120mm Solo Air MaxleLite15 Fast Black MC Crown Adjust Tapered A2, Black in Tree Fort Bikes Suspension Forks

    is there anyway to verify this ? i want to get my stuff down before going into a bike shop and being misled to spend additional money when i can't afford to
    Yes, check your bike to see if it has a Thru axle or a QR.

    Nashbar Fat Bike

    This doesn't specify.

    Mr. Pink already mentioned this.

    If your bike has a QR, then you need at least a new front hub (laced to your current wheel) or an adapter (if one exists), or a whole new wheel (rather than re-lacing).

    If it's already TA, then the Bluto will slap right on.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2015 RSD Mayor Bluto (sold)
    2014 Giant TCX SLR1
    2012 Giant TCR Advanced SL3

  10. #160
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    9
    Been rolling the new Nashbar Fatty since April...upgraded the rear derailleur to a clutched x9. Swapped out the tires for some Kendra Juggernaut Pros (120tpi)...but have found that they rub the frame in the rear. So now I'm looking for some other tire to put back there. The stock tires seem a bit more narrow than the J. Pros...but I'm not sure if they're actually that much more narrow or if it is just do to the 120tpi bowing out more.

    Other than the tire clearance...been pretty happy with it. I mostly road ride, so this is more of a hobby fun bike to take on the breach and trails when I need to mix it up.

  11. #161
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyebolt View Post
    Been rolling the new Nashbar Fatty since April...upgraded the rear derailleur to a clutched x9. Swapped out the tires for some Kendra Juggernaut Pros (120tpi)...but have found that they rub the frame in the rear. So now I'm looking for some other tire to put back there. The stock tires seem a bit more narrow than the J. Pros...but I'm not sure if they're actually that much more narrow or if it is just do to the 120tpi bowing out more.

    Other than the tire clearance...been pretty happy with it. I mostly road ride, so this is more of a hobby fun bike to take on the breach and trails when I need to mix it up.
    please let me know if you find a better rear tire, i am looking to upgrade my stock one

    is this the rear derailer ? if so what cage size did you get

    https://www.amazon.com/SRAM-Mountain...railleur&psc=1

    my email is ase425@gmail.com

  12. #162
    mtbr member
    Reputation: safme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyebolt View Post
    Been rolling the new Nashbar Fatty since April...upgraded the rear derailleur to a clutched x9. Swapped out the tires for some Kendra Juggernaut Pros (120tpi)...but have found that they rub the frame in the rear. So now I'm looking for some other tire to put back there. The stock tires seem a bit more narrow than the J. Pros...but I'm not sure if they're actually that much more narrow or if it is just do to the 120tpi bowing out more.

    Other than the tire clearance...been pretty happy with it. I mostly road ride, so this is more of a hobby fun bike to take on the breach and trails when I need to mix it up.
    Curious as to where it rubs? Did you take any pics


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  13. #163
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Joecamel View Post
    please let me know if you find a better rear tire, i am looking to upgrade my stock one

    is this the rear derailer ? if so what cage size did you get

    https://www.amazon.com/SRAM-Mountain...railleur&psc=1

    my email is ase425@gmail.com
    Yeah...that's the derailleur I got...got a good used deal off of eBay. The stock one is Long Cage...so I went with the same.

  14. #164
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by safme View Post
    Curious as to where it rubs? Did you take any pics


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Rubs on the front of the chain stay. Here's a pic of the bike upside down.

    Nashbar Fat Bike, who else pulled the trigger?-20160622_123421.jpg

  15. #165
    mtbr member
    Reputation: safme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyebolt View Post
    Rubs on the front of the chain stay. Here's a pic of the bike upside down.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160622_123421.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	186.2 KB 
ID:	1092637
    Stupid question. I checked out the Kenda website and they have two sizes 4.5 and 4.0. Did you get the 4.0? I measured the frame chain stays and on mine the min distance is 4" so it's wider in the area you are rubbing.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  16. #166
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by safme View Post
    Stupid question. I checked out the Kenda website and they have two sizes 4.5 and 4.0. Did you get the 4.0? I measured the frame chain stays and on mine the min distance is 4" so it's wider in the area you are rubbing.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yep...definitely the 4.0..I wish that was the problem. Took it to a local shop and they didn't see anything glaring wrong with the wheel or the frame...just that sizes aren't exact sometimes.

    Nashbar Fat Bike, who else pulled the trigger?-20160622_123521.jpg

  17. #167
    mtbr member
    Reputation: safme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    149
    Sorry had to ask. I am interested to see what you find.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  18. #168
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by safme View Post
    Sorry had to ask. I am interested to see what you find.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    No worries, this problem has been bugging the hell out of me since I swapped out the tires the day I got it. I finally went back to stock on the rear. Since the stocks actually measure under 4", I was considering trying the Surly Nate tire which is a 3.8".

    So far, I would say tight tire clearances is really the only con I've had with the bike.

    Has anyone else tried any other tires on it?

  19. #169
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by safme View Post
    Sorry had to ask. I am interested to see what you find.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Actually got a good response form Nashbar today...looks like we're best around 3.8" tires

    "4.0 Tires are at the limit for that frame as it was designed to run 3.75 tires.
    Some manufactures tires at 4.0 might work as they all vary a little
    but when you are at the limit of what the bike can take you will experience the issues you described.
    The bike is really designed to 3.75-3.8 tires."

  20. #170
    mtbr member
    Reputation: safme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    149
    This is very dissappointing


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  21. #171
    mtbr member
    Reputation: safme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    149
    Are you going to try the Nate 3.8? The surly website says the casing width with 82mm wheels is 104mm (4.09"). Not sure it would fit.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  22. #172
    mtbr member
    Reputation: safme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    149

    Nashbar Fat Bike, who else pulled the trigger?

    I ended up ordering a Nate 3.8. I looked up the dimensions on Surlys website and made a template from them. I used the template to check fit and it looks like it will. I will let you know how it fits when I get it


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  23. #173
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by safme View Post
    I ended up ordering a Nate 3.8. I looked up the dimensions on Surlys website and made a template from them. I used the template to check fit and it looks like it will. I will let you know how it fits when I get it


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Forgot to post...picked a Nate 3.8 a week or so ago. Fits good and works great. Let me know what you think.

  24. #174
    mtbr member
    Reputation: safme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyebolt View Post
    Forgot to post...picked a Nate 3.8 a week or so ago. Fits good and works great. Let me know what you think.
    I can confirm as well that the nate fits well!



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  25. #175
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by safme View Post
    I can confirm as well that the nate fits well!



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    thanks for the info here guys, about ready to pull the trigger on a nate 3.8 , not sure what tpi to go with

    up front i have a surly rim with maxxis minion 120 tpi 26 x 4.8 with bluto front fork

    has anyone upgraded the brakes on these nash bar fat bikes ?

  26. #176
    Nice day for a ride..... Moderator
    Reputation: Bikin' Bric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,920
    I have not posted an update here in a while.... thought it might be a good idea. I've got thousands of kilometers on the Big Ol Fat Bike now and she has been great. No stock parts on her left except for the rims (which I drilled). Currently running a 1X10 driveline with a granny 22T mounted in conjunction with the 30T narrow wide ring. I can stop and manually shift to the granny for some stump pulling gears that I might need in the snow. Also mounted up some new skinwall Nates for the winter ahead. Some photos....



    Bikin' Bric's Bike Blog

    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fat Bike
    2016 RSD Sergeant

  27. #177
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    8
    after 20 miles on the surly nate 3.8 at 10 PSI, the tire was punctured by a branch

    a branch took down a $110 +tax / shipping tire, Surly brand support offered zero responsibility for replacement

    they're response was "Unfortunately tires sometimes get punctured."

    really disappointed, will be my last Surly purchase

    Quote Originally Posted by Joecamel View Post
    thanks for the info here guys, about ready to pull the trigger on a nate 3.8 , not sure what tpi to go with

    up front i have a surly rim with maxxis minion 120 tpi 26 x 4.8 with bluto front fork

    has anyone upgraded the brakes on these nash bar fat bikes ?

  28. #178
    Not really fixed.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    126
    Why would Surly be responsible? At what point does destroying a tire by running over something become their problem?

  29. #179
    mtbr member
    Reputation: schnee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,766
    Quote Originally Posted by Joecamel View Post
    after 20 miles on the surly nate 3.8 at 10 PSI, the tire was punctured by a branch

    a branch took down a $110 +tax / shipping tire, Surly brand support offered zero responsibility for replacement

    they're response was "Unfortunately tires sometimes get punctured."
    their response was correct

    mountain biking has risks, and you don't always get the full life out of a consumable like a tire

    if it was caused by a delamination or other obvious defect, that's different, but I've had sidewall gashes or massive punctures too, it sucks, we all have that happen eventually, life goes on
    Yamaguchi School Cyclocross • 907 Fat Bike • Salsa Vaya Travel

  30. #180
    mtbr member
    Reputation: safme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    149
    Anyone have any luck setting these wheels up tubeless. I am struggling to get a bud and nate to seat. Using gorilla tape and stans method. Tires are too loose fitting to wheels and just fall off when I seat the tires and remove tube. I found some info about using foam to build up the center of the rims.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Similar Threads

  1. Did it. Pulled the Trigger on a New Bike
    By ctimbs in forum Motobecane
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 12-24-2012, 01:54 PM
  2. Pulled a trigger on a bike today- Trek 4900
    By guberbot in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-05-2012, 06:57 PM
  3. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-24-2011, 12:19 PM
  4. Pulled the trigger on a new bike
    By Rocklion in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-29-2011, 05:54 AM
  5. Just pulled the trigger...
    By intheways in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-13-2011, 08:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •