Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 136
  1. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    578
    I'm about the same height as you and If I order one it will more than likely be a large or 19" as the eff is the same as my current rig. btw. I had a Jones Diamond frame which I believe has a seat tube of about 18" with the stock rigid fork and there was more than enough stand over. I normally get bikes in the 17 -18 range but these bikes run short in the top tube. What's you pant inseam?

  2. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ian0789's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    116
    With no shoes on and to my boys its a bit over 32. I was thinking about the large frame but dont forget with those big old fat wheels I have a feeling that its going to give it a 29er stance feel so I am going to go by what I ride on 29er vs 26er. I ride 17-17.5 29er but for my 26 I like an 18,18.5,19 frame.

  3. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by ian0789 View Post
    Debating if I wanna get a set of BB7 or just leave the MX 5 calipers on and see how they do. Those are the only thing I am kind of iffy on. The new ones you can adjust with a barrel but last years seem to be 5mm key on each side after tension is set.... well always the barrels at the levers.
    One of my bikes came with MX4 brakes and they really weren't that bad, other than the lack of tool-free adjustability. My suggestion is to ride them until the pads wear down and then upgrade to BB7s. If there's 10" of snow, you're not really going to need brakes anyway. Tires, on the other hand, would be a very wise investment.

  4. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    578
    Be sure to post up your thoughts on how it fits as I'm contemplating a large.

  5. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ian0789's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by RocktonRider View Post
    One of my bikes came with MX4 brakes and they really weren't that bad, other than the lack of tool-free adjustability. My suggestion is to ride them until the pads wear down and then upgrade to BB7s. If there's 10" of snow, you're not really going to need brakes anyway. Tires, on the other hand, would be a very wise investment.
    I am wondering why the hate on the Vee Rubber Mission 26x4.0, I have been really digging around and the 120 Vee's dont really seem to be all that bad. I mean most have said they are better then the stock BFL(Lower model BFL) that come on the Pugs and most reviews seem to favor them on single track, mud, sand and snow. I am honestly going to wait a tire upgrade out until I have the bike in my hands and can see for my self. Not that I dont believe others but looking at the tread spacing, pattern, 120TPI I find it hard to just toss a brand new set of tires before I can make that call. I am in NJ so while we do get snow its really rare to get a blizzard + I cant see how they can be bad with out riding them.

    Quote Originally Posted by djembe975 View Post
    Be sure to post up your thoughts on how it fits as I'm contemplating a large.
    O I will! Hopefully it ships out next Friday and I have it mid week. I normally get my Nashbar stuff if shipped Fedex with in 3 days max. So if it ships Friday I should have it no later then Tuesday and put together that night.... 1st ride will be that day or Wednesday lol thats my plan of attack! I just gotta remember to take pictures of unboxing lol.

  6. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by ian0789 View Post
    I am wondering why the hate on the Vee Rubber Mission 26x4.0.I
    Not really hating on the Mission tire... it would just be one of my last choices for snow or mud. It looks like a decent tire for dry trails and one of the better tires on sand, so I'm certainly not proposing that you chuck them.

    My Floaters were really hunting for traction on some snowy singletrack this week, so a much more aggressive tread is my recommendation if you really want to enjoy yourself in the snow.

    Looking forward to the unboxing and ride report...

  7. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Kawidan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    230
    I tried a Norco Bigfoot with the 72tpi Mission tires and during the ride I had 2 other guys with Moonlander's who were running BUD/LOU combo I believe. The 3 things I noticed right away was first they don't have much side grip. This was somewhat corrected by dropping the air pressure pretty low which led to the second problem. With having to run such a low air pressure, you end up with a much greater rolling resistance than the other tires, and the third thing was when stopped, when it came time to take off, the guys on the Moonlanders would just get on their bikes and start pedaling. If I tried the same thing on the Bigfoot, I would just spin out and stop. I would always have to push the bike forward a bit to get going. It was more noticeable when trying to take off on a slight up hill.

    The good thing was that once I got them rolling, I could pretty much follow the Moonlanders and climb every hill that they climbed. During the entire ride, there was only 1 hill that they climbed that I wasn't able to climb and I was the one leading the way up the hill when I had to stop about 3/4 of the way up when I met a guy walking with his dog and I had to slow down a bit and I ended up spinning out when I lost my momentum. The Moonlanders just went past me and kept on climbing.

    To me personally I didn't find the Mission's that bad but those are the only ones I've tried myself. I came away with an impression "Not to Bad" and I figured if the 72tpi are not bad, the 120tpi should hopefully a bit better.

    Traction wise I didn't have much to complain about, so I'm thinking the 120tpi should hopefully be a bit better. The biggest problem will be the side grip and I don't know if the 120tpi will help any. As I mentioned, the lower air pressure helped somewhat, but you will get more resistance. The way I look at it, more rolling resistance = more effort which equals to better training LOL

    Eventually I'll probably end up going with some Nates but for now I don't think I immediately have to go out and upgrade the tires.
    Current bikes:

    2014 Framed Minnesota 2.0 Fatbike
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 AL Pro
    2011 Specialized Rockhopper

  8. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ian0789's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by RocktonRider View Post
    Not really hating on the Mission tire... it would just be one of my last choices for snow or mud. It looks like a decent tire for dry trails and one of the better tires on sand, so I'm certainly not proposing that you chuck them.

    My Floaters were really hunting for traction on some snowy singletrack this week, so a much more aggressive tread is my recommendation if you really want to enjoy yourself in the snow.

    Looking forward to the unboxing and ride report...
    Ah ok that clears it up a bit, a few post have stated to just chuck them but looking at tire prices I would almost rather replace the tires last on the list of things. I think out of the box its going to be amazing for the stuff I have planned for it. I have an app in to adopt a new furry little friend so things may be a bit hectic during the week the bike arrives. But with that said I have some awesome double track cross country style trails I will probably heading 1st and hopefully start training her for my local trails. Filled with tons of sand, mud and streams. Stuff that would make you scream riding a normal MTB in them =P

    I have been refreshing nashbars page every day, maybe get lucky with an early shipping date!

    _____

    I am thinking the same thing with the 120's. They should be a bit better then the 72's. I think also they changed the tread pattern with the new 120's? I could be wrong but I saw something that looked more spaced out but that could have been the Origin 8's (also made by Vee)

  9. #34
    Loser
    Reputation: Jisch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,787
    I'm a Vee Mission hater. I had the 72 TPI version on my bike when I got it. I only rode it in the dirt, so I can't speak to the traction in snow - though in just looking at the tread, I think they wouldn't be great. My dislike comes from their very bad self steer. We have a lot of large rocks around here and transitioning from dirt to rock slab was almost dangerous - the tire would grab and it would pull really bad. I imagine I could have gotten used to it eventually, but the Floaters are so more well behaved.

    YMMV and all that stuff.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

  10. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ian0789's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    116
    Bad news! 2/7/2014 shipping now =( Just called Nashbar thinking OOOO maybe mine will be shipping sooner and these are the next date well guess they pushed it back another week so now back to a two week count down.

  11. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ian0789's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    116
    Well I had nothing to do today and while I am trying to kill days waiting to get this bad boy I figured Id better make a stand to hold this fatty for when I am not riding it =P

    Need to do some a little bit to it still, its not glued yet but I want to make sure everything fits before I put the caps on the legs and slap some glue on it. I think I need to trim the back connectors some and the mid connectors I left a bit bigger then I needed since I dont have the bike its better to go a tad bigger then shave it down then under shoot it!

    Really sturdy stand and $13.00 (that is if you already have the primer and glue). I made one for my 29er a week ago and as you can see I have one I am making for my 26 full squish.


  12. #37
    Loser
    Reputation: Jisch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,787
    There's a 20% off coupon right now at Nashbar, I tried it and it works on the fat bike - $813 for the bike delivered to your door, well my door, but you get the point. Coupon code is 36184, and is only good for 12 hours.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

  13. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    809
    Quote Originally Posted by Kawidan View Post
    I tried a Norco Bigfoot with the 72tpi Mission tires and during the ride I had 2 other guys with Moonlander's who were running BUD/LOU combo I believe. The 3 things I noticed right away was first they don't have much side grip. This was somewhat corrected by dropping the air pressure pretty low which led to the second problem. With having to run such a low air pressure, you end up with a much greater rolling resistance than the other tires, and the third thing was when stopped, when it came time to take off, the guys on the Moonlanders would just get on their bikes and start pedaling. If I tried the same thing on the Bigfoot, I would just spin out and stop. I would always have to push the bike forward a bit to get going. It was more noticeable when trying to take off on a slight up hill.

    The good thing was that once I got them rolling, I could pretty much follow the Moonlanders and climb every hill that they climbed. During the entire ride, there was only 1 hill that they climbed that I wasn't able to climb and I was the one leading the way up the hill when I had to stop about 3/4 of the way up when I met a guy walking with his dog and I had to slow down a bit and I ended up spinning out when I lost my momentum. The Moonlanders just went past me and kept on climbing.

    To me personally I didn't find the Mission's that bad but those are the only ones I've tried myself. I came away with an impression "Not to Bad" and I figured if the 72tpi are not bad, the 120tpi should hopefully a bit better.

    Traction wise I didn't have much to complain about, so I'm thinking the 120tpi should hopefully be a bit better. The biggest problem will be the side grip and I don't know if the 120tpi will help any. As I mentioned, the lower air pressure helped somewhat, but you will get more resistance. The way I look at it, more rolling resistance = more effort which equals to better training LOL

    Eventually I'll probably end up going with some Nates but for now I don't think I immediately have to go out and upgrade the tires.
    I am not liking the vee's at all, I had basically the same issues as yourself, spinning trying to get moving and on a slight grade made it even worse. I was following two other riders and even when in their tracks my tires would slip and I went down about 6 times.I had the pressure low and being new to fatbikes I laughed at the first 3 dumps after that I was getting a little verbal out in them dare woods.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

  14. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ian0789's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    116
    Hmm I just refreshed the page and its showing they are in stock! I wonder if they are going to be coming out sooner then 2/7!

    OOOOO yeah! So it looks like its going to be shipping out this friday!!! Cant wait just got off the phone with nashbar and they said late friday I should have a tracking number

  15. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikefat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    313
    Quote Originally Posted by fahza29er View Post
    I am not liking the vee's at all, I had basically the same issues as yourself, spinning trying to get moving and on a slight grade made it even worse. I was following two other riders and even when in their tracks my tires would slip and I went down about 6 times.I had the pressure low and being new to fatbikes I laughed at the first 3 dumps after that I was getting a little verbal out in them dare woods.
    Love reading posts like this, lets me know I'm not alone. Sometimes nigh unto impossible to get going in snow, even with the tread reversed, which helps some. Even though I'm a fatbike noob, I figure it comes down to either I don't know how to ride a bike in the snow (unlikely, having grown up doing just that), or there must be better tires out there -- otherwise fatbiking wouldn't be gaining in popularity the way it is, because nobody could get going in snow. But I liked the Missions fine back in the fall, on dirt, mud, wet leaves, in the creek, etc.

    I posted a few days ago about how I'll be getting Missions for 3-season use; these tires breaking traction on ice causing me to crash pretty hard since then, doesn't change my opinion. But, I've always preferred reasonably-priced "good 'nuff" tires over top-of-the-line tires, i.e. I always ran Ritchey Megabites BITD instead of the way-more-expensive Smoke/Dart. Also, I'm a heavyweight, and can see where I'd wear out the sidewalls faster on "better" tires, making them that much more expensive.
    Denver Broncos: 98-3 since 1975 when scoring 30+ at home. Shaky start, but you know you're worried...

  16. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ian0789's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    116
    Hopefully tomorrow my Fat bike will be shipping out!

  17. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ian0789's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    116
    Lame so Nashbar messed up my order and it never got sent out today. I called and they said the system is down to check orders so I have to call tomorrow morning to reorder my bike.... O well looks like I am going to have to wait a day longer then I expected. Hopefully tomorrow they can sort it out and have it on its way.

    I love that they added pay pal to there payment option but this is now the 2nd time using pay pal on a backorder item I got shafted with my order. Seems that since you send the order in and they dont bill you till the item is in stock pay pal then kicks the order out like I didnt make it.

  18. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ian0789's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    116
    Got it sorted out and it should be shipped out today so in the next few days you guys will see some pictures of it! I did end up getting new bars and stem since the stock ones are going to probably be some HL Corp heavy ones with lots of flex in them. So got a set of Black Ops Bars and an OS Stem to go alone with them.

    Going to see how the MX5 Brakes do before I go and change them. I have seen a few reviews on them saying good things and other then the fact they can only be adjusted by a 5mm key I cant see why they wont work just as well as my other bikes with Tektro IO and Novela Brakes. Lots of bad reviews on them and they have been great to me. Obviously not as great of stopping power as my Elixir 3's but they sure do the job!

    Strange thing tho, when I called the lady I spoke to said "Well gosh I see why you wanted to honor the sale receipt I had" The bike seems to be listed to $1,999.99 I know there system was down getting maintenance so I don't know if they messed up a bunch of the prices and made the $999.99 compared to $1,999.99 just the main price by mistake but lord if its going to be that much now I am happy I snagged one at the lower price.

  19. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    578
    At this price, it doesn't seem like a bargain Nashbar Big Ol' Fat Bike - Hard Tail

  20. #45
    bhc
    bhc is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    439
    As of today, Feb 1 at 1:30pm, the Nashbar website has it listed at $1999.99. That will slow down the sales of the bike.

  21. #46
    Loser
    Reputation: Jisch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,787
    They have to advertise it at full price for at least a little while to give some credence to their "50% off" price. Anyone who pays $1999 for that bike should call me, I've got a lightly used FB-4 I'll sell for half that.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

  22. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ian0789's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    116
    Well yeah I am sure they are going to drop the price of it. I am just happy I was able to get mine when I did and they honored the price. A lot of there stuff went up even the road bike frame that was always 99.99 is now 119.99. I dont know if it had to do with the inventory maintenance they did last night or if they are for real but as of now if you didn't get it at the 800-900 range Id say wait it out, get a BD.com or Min 2.0.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    They have to advertise it at full price for at least a little while to give some credence to their "50% off" price. Anyone who pays $1999 for that bike should call me, I've got a lightly used FB-4 I'll sell for half that.
    Jisch you going to keep the Nashbar fat bike as your main fatty =O

  23. #48
    Loser
    Reputation: Jisch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,787
    Sorry, I didn't order a Nashbar the other day, I just put it in my shopping cart to see if the coupon applied - those coupons don't always apply to bikes.

    My next fatty will be carbon fiber (hopefully). I love my FB4, great bike, but if I get another one I want it to be under 30lbs (hopefully well under). I don't feel its worth it to dump money into the FB4 to get it to that point.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

  24. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ian0789's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    116
    Ah I see. Yeah I have seen a ton of people talking about carbon fat bikes but I totally went the other way =O I wanted steel haha. Would you ever consider a TI frame?

    Did you do anything to your FB4 or did you keep it stock? That bike seems solid as is with all the parts that comes on it. I probably should have went that route since I swapped out the bars, seat, seatpost, stem and probably would have kept everything stock on the FB4 if I went with a BD fat bike. I wish they had a steel version. There was talk about a TI Moto Fat bike I wonder if that will show its face sooner or later.

  25. #50
    Loser
    Reputation: Jisch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,787
    I swapped rear derailleur, cassette, tires, went tubeless and put a dropper post on it. Love the bike though. I'd go ti, but have to see the price

    Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Did it. Pulled the Trigger on a New Bike
    By ctimbs in forum Motobecane
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 12-24-2012, 01:54 PM
  2. Pulled a trigger on a bike today- Trek 4900
    By guberbot in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-05-2012, 06:57 PM
  3. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-24-2011, 12:19 PM
  4. Pulled the trigger on a new bike
    By Rocklion in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-29-2011, 05:54 AM
  5. Just pulled the trigger...
    By intheways in forum Fat Bikes
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-13-2011, 08:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •