Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Nice day for a ride..... Moderator
    Well I've got a few hundred km on the Nash-Fat now. This thing is as much a blast on dirt as it is in the snow. Handles very well in twisty singletrack. I still grab the 29er for the faster paced rides but the fun factor of the fatty is unbeatable. It will get regular use year round, and I can see why people will use them in all conditions. I eventually want to build a well-specced fatbike with a Bluto fork and build a 29er wheelset for it so I can swap back and forth as I want and only have to maintain one bike. Until then I'll roll both the Big 'Ol Fatbike and the 29er.

I've done a bit of upgrading over the stock kit.
    -On-One Floater tires
    -Q tubes
    -Race Face stem, seatpost
    -Niner Flat top handlebar
    -Ergon grips
    -BB7 brakes

Next stuff on the list is to drill the rims and run tubeless. Also been thinking of a 1x10 conversion as I have a 10 speed cassette and derailleur sitting on the work bench. I'm running a 30t 1x10 on my 29er, thinking 28t will be good for the slower going of the fatbike. Might end up swapping the crankset as well, I'm not a fat of the TruVativ crank and it weighs a ton.

Bikin' Bric's Bike Blog

2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fat Bike
    2016 RSD Sergeant

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Anyone know if a set of 29+ tires would fit on this frame? The fork looks to have clearance, but the rear is questionable.

Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    Anyone know if a set of 29+ tires would fit on this frame? The fork looks to have clearance, but the rear is questionable.
    I'm building a set right now for it. According to my measurements it should fit just fine. The sliding dropouts make for lots of clearance.
    Bikin' Bric's Bike Blog

2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fat Bike
    2016 RSD Sergeant

mtbr member
    Great thread...thanks op for posting it...got me thinking about a nasfat....
    The bike is never to heavy, you are just to WEAK!

Did some more upgrades recently, the Nashbar has become my only mountain bike as my 29er cracked. No biggie, the fattie is more fun anyways.

Current spec:
    -Nashbar frame and fork
    -Cane Creek S3 headset
    -Race Face Ride XC stem
    -Niner Flat Top carbon bar
    -Ergon cork grips
    -Thomson post
    -SDG Bel Air seat
    -Avid BB7 brakes, SD7 levers, Jagwire compression-less cables
    -Race Face Ride XC crankset and BB
    -Race Face Narrow Wide 30T chainring
    -Shimano Zee rear derailleur
    -Shimano XT cassette (10 speed)
    -Wolftooth Giant Cog cassette adaptor 40T
    -Shimano SLX shifter
    -On-One Floater tires with Q tubes
    -Origin8 OR8 rear hub (replaced blown OEM hub), OEM front hub
    -Stock rims, homebrew drilled

Weighs in at 33lbs 12oz (was 39lbs 1oz stock)

I`m also building up a 29+ set of wheels, got the Velocity Dually rims and 29x3 120tpi Knards already, just waiting on my hubs to arrive.

NashFat in action

Bikin' Bric's Bike Blog

2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fat Bike
    2016 RSD Sergeant

mtbr member
    What happen to the OEM rear hub? you say it blew out. what does that mean? the freehub stopped engaging or something with the bearings?

Re: Nashbar Fat Bike, who else pulled the trigger?

Quote Originally Posted by rex615 View Post
    What happen to the OEM rear hub? you say it blew out. what does that mean? the freehub stopped engaging or something with the bearings?
    It just didn't have the guts for a rider of my weight combined with a few deep water crossings. Freehub broke and locked up. Replacement parts were harder to find than a new origin8 hub for $70.

I suspect the rear hub to last well with a lighter and less abusive rider.
    Bikin' Bric's Bike Blog

2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fat Bike
    2016 RSD Sergeant

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikin' Bric View Post
    combined with a few deep water crossings.
    I couldn't disagree more. If you've taken the stock hubs apart, you'll find that you first have to remove a dust cap, then a rubber contact seal to get to the sealed cartridge bearings. They're the most sealed Freewheeling hubs I've ever encountered or even researched online. More than likely, the freehub just wasn't up snuff for the big wheel size and added stress from the amount of power you could put out (as you stated).

Just wanted to clear that up... I say kudos to Nashbar for including such a well sealed yet serviceable hub on such a thrifty offering in the Fatbike World. :-)

since 4/10/2009
    I ran into a guy on Monday who was riding one of these. He had done up some custom graphics for it that threw me off when trying to identify it, so I had to ask.

It's a pretty cool bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    I ran into a guy on Monday who was riding one of these. He had done up some custom graphics for it that threw me off when trying to identify it, so I had to ask.

It's a pretty cool bike.
    By custom graphics you don't mean Surly decals

since 4/10/2009
    By custom graphics you don't mean Surly decals
    Nope. He had stickers made for the downtube that had "FBG" on one line and underneath it said "You make the rockin' world go 'round". He was telling me that he had a belt buckle of some sort (don't remember what, exactly) that he was going to try to turn into a head badge.

Apropos, no?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    Nope. He had stickers made for the downtube that had "FBG" on one line and underneath it said "You make the rockin' world go 'round". He was telling me that he had a belt buckle of some sort (don't remember what, exactly) that he was going to try to turn into a head badge.

Apropos, no?
    This bike (Nashbar) and the BD Lurch look like Surlys, so that is why i made the comment meant to humorous.

I do believe that with a set of Surly stickers most casual observers assume it was a Surly.

Fat Bottomed Girls on the other hand....At least it is a good song.

Quote Originally Posted by JR Z View Post
    I couldn't disagree more. If you've taken the stock hubs apart, you'll find that you first have to remove a dust cap, then a rubber contact seal to get to the sealed cartridge bearings. They're the most sealed Freewheeling hubs I've ever encountered or even researched online. More than likely, the freehub just wasn't up snuff for the big wheel size and added stress from the amount of power you could put out (as you stated).

Just wanted to clear that up... I say kudos to Nashbar for including such a well sealed yet serviceable hub on such a thrifty offering in the Fatbike World. :-)
    I'm going to disagree with you there. They are good hubs but the water came in the back side of the freehub body where it is against the hub and has only a little o ring as a seal. I had problems with the hub immediately after the water crossings, which my weight did not help. Keep in mind these crossings were above the hubs in water. As far as being serviceable...... try to get a replacement freehub body for this hub.
    Bikin' Bric's Bike Blog

2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fat Bike
    2016 RSD Sergeant

This bike (Nashbar) and the BD Lurch look like Surlys, so that is why i made the comment meant to humorous.

I do believe that with a set of Surly stickers most casual observers assume it was a Surly.

Fat Bottomed Girls on the other hand....At least it is a good song.
    I've had quite a few people ask me if its a pugsley, or why I took off the surly decals. Thought about getting a set of Pugsley decals just so I didn't have to explain to everyone that "its pretty much a Pug with a 170mm rear end"
    Bikin' Bric's Bike Blog

2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fat Bike
    2016 RSD Sergeant

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm going to disagree with you there. They are good hubs but the water came in the back side of the freehub body where it is against the hub and has only a little o ring as a seal. I had problems with the hub immediately after the water crossings, which my weight did not help. Keep in mind these crossings were above the hubs in water. As far as being serviceable...... try to get a replacement freehub body for this hub.
    That's a fair argument. I had no issues pulling the free-hub apart with the tools in my toolbox to see if it had any grease in it, but I agree that the o-ring is not ideal. It is as good or better than most hubs that come on some bikes twice this price now-a-days, though. The bearings the hub rides on are what I care about most, since if those go and aren't easily sourced, the hub is toast instantly. Maybe this is because I'm a weenie whose never toasted a freehub despite running under water, salted snow/slush, and gooey swamp mud... IDK. Sorry to hear your hub failed, though.

Quote Originally Posted by JR Z View Post
    That's a fair argument. I had no issues pulling the free-hub apart with the tools in my toolbox to see if it had any grease in it, but I agree that the o-ring is not ideal. It is as good or better than most hubs that come on some bikes twice this price now-a-days, though. The bearings the hub rides on are what I care about most, since if those go and aren't easily sourced, the hub is toast instantly. Maybe this is because I'm a weenie whose never toasted a freehub despite running under water, salted snow/slush, and gooey swamp mud... IDK. Sorry to hear your hub failed, though.
    It is a much better hub than expected for this price point, I agree with you there. If the freehub body was more easily available I'd still be using it. As for now, its in the bin until I find a replacement body. Freehub failures are not uncommon for me though. I've toasted many of them even when only used in ideal conditions, on many different makes of hubs, so I don't fault the hub on the Nashfat for failing.
    Bikin' Bric's Bike Blog

2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fat Bike
    2016 RSD Sergeant

mtbr member
    Does anyone know more than me about how Nashbar changes models? By that I mean, does anyone know if they will bring out yearly models? I don't have much experience with them or their sales policy and I am wondering if they will introduce a 2015 model of the bike with new features such as different rims and/or tires.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    In my experience, nashbar isn't compelled to release models yearly. It seems they get something made, then sell it until gone, updating every couple years. If you wait until the end when they've introduced the new version, I bet you can pick up an old one extra cheap, but I don't think you can plan on when that will happen

mtbr member
    All I know is its still well worth it when you can snag it on sale. Now the new BD Moto Lurches are out and are a bit more money but have some better upgraded parts out of the box on them but for what you get cant go wrong. I have been riding mine like crazy and its my go to bike 95% of the time! Best bike buy yet!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ian0789 View Post
    Now the new BD Moto Lurches are out and are a bit more money but have some better upgraded parts out of the box on them but for what you get cant go wrong.
    Not sure that is correct, the Lurch lists for $899.95 here.

And the Nashbar bike on sale list for $1099.99 Here.

I am biased because I own a Lurch, but as you state they do have better kit; Avid BB7s and SRAM X9 compared to Hayes and X7 on he Nashbar. Plus the Lurch will take full size tires since it has a 190mm rear hub.

mtbr member
    Not sure that is correct, the Lurch lists for $899.95 here.

And the Nashbar bike on sale list for $1099.99 Here.

I am biased because I own a Lurch, but as you state they do have better kit; Avid BB7s and SRAM X9 compared to Hayes and X7 on he Nashbar. Plus the Lurch will take full size tires since it has a 190mm rear hub.
    But you are not factoring in......
    Nashbar coupon and nashbar has a better crankset out of the box.I got mine for 700 bucks both come with crap bars, stem, saddle and the mech brakes on both bikes are good. So for a little less you get lower shifter pods and derailleur but a better crank set and a 9 speed. Its still a good deal and my friend just got her lurch, while in rely like the bike I like my nashbar better. Also the snowshoes only measure out to be 4 inch even tho they 4.7 because of the rim with and while they are nice winter tires they are sluggish but the Nash tires suck. They are both strong bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ian0789 View Post
    But you are not factoring in......
    Nashbar coupon and nashbar has a better crankset out of the box.I got mine for 700 bucks both come with crap bars, stem, saddle and the mech brakes on both bikes are good. So for a little less you get lower shifter pods and derailleur but a better crank set and a 9 speed. Its still a good deal and my friend just got her lurch, while in rely like the bike I like my nashbar better. Also the snowshoes only measure out to be 4 inch even tho they 4.7 because of the rim with and while they are nice winter tires they are sluggish but the Nash tires suck. They are both strong bikes
    Didn't know about the Nashbar coupon, how do you get them?

That bike for $700 is a great deal.

I agree about the tires, I took mine off to save them for winter.
    Will the Nashbar bike fit a full size tire (4.8") like a Bud or Lou?

I like the WTB volt saddle that came stock on the Lurch, this is actually a pleasant surprise to me because I am used to a B17, but leather isn't great in mud and wet. Now I have a waterproof seat I can actually tolerate.

mtbr member
    Details on the coupon please.

mtbr member
    Didn't know about the Nashbar coupon, how do you get them?

That bike for $700 is a great deal.

I agree about the tires, I took mine off to save them for winter.
    Will the Nashbar bike fit a full size tire (4.8") like a Bud or Lou?

I like the WTB volt saddle that came stock on the Lurch, this is actually a pleasant surprise to me because I am used to a B17, but leather isn't great in mud and wet. Now I have a waterproof seat I can actually tolerate.
    I am actually really impressed with that Volt saddle. Normally BD mountain bike saddles are those crappy WTB Speed V ones that I cant stand. I like a more narrow saddle with less fluff to it and the Volt looks good on top of that. As for the tire size fitting I am not to sure, alot of that stuff has to do with the rim so even a 4.7 tire could come out to be a 4.0 on a smaller rim like the Lurch. But if the Lurch can fit them id say they might be able to work with the Nashbar fatty. Could slide the drops back some to make it fit and there is tons of room in the fork. The Lurch and Nashbar are almost the same frame side by side. Only real difference is the head tube is over sized on the bottom. The stays both have tons of clearance. I will have to compare them with a caliper.

Quote Originally Posted by bcriverjunky View Post
    Details on the coupon please.
    gotta just wait for one to come around. I had a 25% of and free ship. The bike was also a little cheaper at release if I recall. But I bought it the day it went up for preorders.

mtbr member
    I'm on their email list. I'll keep an eye out thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Can someone explain to me what I would need to have a swappable second set of wheels for this bike that are just normal 29" non-fat wheels? I am new to mountain biking. A wheel, a tire, a tube, a bottom bracket and a rear cog - is that it? I guess a disc brake too?

Can someone provide links to example products that would fit this bike? Really wanna try this out but don't know a thing about dimensions and compatibility and don't wanna buy a bunch of stuff that won't fit. I was thinking of getting the bluto - will the 100mm version give me enough clearance to put 29" tire in the front?

You guys rule, thanks!

mtbr member
    These (Amazon.com : Framed Fattie Slims Slick Bike Wheelset 29in : Sports & Outdoors) are the Fattie Slims that are offered with Minnesota 2.0 bikes from Framed (Framed Bikes).

They would fit the Nashbar Big Ol' Fat Bike (BOFB) (please check the disc brake rotor sizes, though. I think these are 160mm). The reason they would fit is that the front hub is 135mm, while the rear hub is 170mm, the same as the BOFB (you would need to play around with things to get them dialed in, but I think they would work). You could make up your own 29er wheelset for the BOFB with 29er rims, 29er tires, 135mm and 170 mm hubs, a couple of brake rotors and a cassette, but the Framed package is a nice easy package.

I actually thought it would be fun (but completely impractical) to order both the BOFB and one of the Minnesota 2.0 2015 models. You could take off the Minnesota 2.0 wheels and tires for the BOFB and keep the Fattie Slims for a 29er conversion, as well as swap out any other parts you wanted to before selling a Minnesota frame with the 4.0 missions and heavier wheelset of the BOFB on it.

Like I say, completely impractical and more of a thought experiment. Fun nonetheless.
    Last edited by PDKL45; 09-15-2014 at 03:40 AM.

mtbr member
    ^^^^BOFB = Big Ole Fat Bike = Nashbar Fat bike.

mtbr member
    ^^^^BOFB = Big Ole Fat Bike = Nashbar Fat bike.
    Yeah, sorry about that (-_-), it was a bit confusing. Just fixed it...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PDKL45 View Post
    Yeah, sorry about that (-_-), it was a bit confusing. Just fixed it...
    No worries, I was just trying to clarify what I thought was an informative post.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    These (Amazon.com : Framed Fattie Slims Slick Bike Wheelset 29in : Sports & Outdoors) are the Fattie Slims that are offered with Minnesota 2.0 bikes from Framed (Framed Bikes).

They would fit the Nashbar Big Ol' Fat Bike (BOFB) (please check the disc brake rotor sizes, though. I think these are 160mm). The reason they would fit is that the front hub is 135mm, while the rear hub is 170mm, the same as the BOFB (you would need to play around with things to get them dialed in, but I think they would work). You could make up your own 29er wheelset for the BOFB with 29er rims, 29er tires, 135mm and 170 mm hubs, a couple of brake rotors and a cassette, but the Framed package is a nice easy package.

I actually thought it would be fun (but completely impractical) to order both the BOFB and one of the Minnesota 2.0 2015 models. You could take off the Minnesota 2.0 wheels and tires for the BOFB and keep the Fattie Slims for a 29er conversion, as well as swap out any other parts you wanted to before selling a Minnesota frame with the 4.0 missions and heavier wheelset of the BOFB on it.

Like I say, completely impractical and more of a thought experiment. Fun nonetheless.
    Thanks man! Do you think the bluto will fit 29" rims?

mtbr member
    With regard to the Bluto, yes, I believe it will take 29er wheels. However, the bikes I mention above have 135 mm front & 170 mm rear hubs with quick release axles held by dropouts in the bikes. These bikes usually take 26 x 4.0 tires and cannot fit wider tires.

The Bluto uses a through axle, as opposed to a quick release axle, and is spaced for hubs that are 150 mm. Also, the rear wheels on Bluto equipped bikes commonly (in 2015) have 190 mm hubs with through axles. These bikes can usually accommodate a 26 x 4.8 tire.

Note that standards are not yet hard and fast and that many bikes have their own configurations (Bluto with through axle in front and dropouts in the back, for example). Do not take anything I say as gospel.

Take a look at Bikes Direct, the Sturgis and the Night Train Bullet models in particular. It looks like Bikes Direct will be producing 29er wheelsets that will fit the Bluto models (see the note included in the specifications of those models).

Save Up To 60% Off Fat Bikes and Fat Mountain Bicycles from bikesdirect.com FREE Ship 48 States

mtbr member
    It looks like Bikes Direct will be producing 29er wheelsets that will fit the Bluto models (see the note included in the specifications of those models).
    Interesting, those should fit my Lurch too. Thanks for finding that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I was reading a little and I think the bluto won't for the head tube of the big ol fat. :'( BOF uses 1 1/8 headset but does anyone know the actual head tube size? A straight 34mm headtube apparently won't work according to Salsa.

Salsa Cycles

The bluto will not work on the Nashbar, it can only take a 1 1/8th steerer tube. The Bluto's are tapered.
    Bikin' Bric's Bike Blog

2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fat Bike
    2016 RSD Sergeant

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quick Q for those that are riding the Big 'Ol Fat Bike: Is the fork 135 REAR or FRONT disc spaced?

TIA
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by LBIkid View Post
    Quick Q for those that are riding the Big 'Ol Fat Bike: Is the fork 135 REAR or FRONT disc spaced?
    Front. I believe the Surly Offset Forks are some of the only forks left still in production with a rear 135 standard.

mtbr member
    The bluto will not work on the Nashbar, it can only take a 1 1/8th steerer tube. The Bluto's are tapered.
    Actually you could, if you got the kit to for the CC lower press in cup / race the Bluto would work. Our head tubes are compatible with those kits.

On a side note looks like they are all done with the Nashbar Fatty so I am wondering what they will have in store for 2015! I wonder if they will come out with a new one with a bluto or if they are going to just sell the framed fat bikes.

mtbr member
    no, that will work with 44mm internal cup headsets......the 1 1/8 head tubes with external cups will not work.
    The bike is never to heavy, you are just to WEAK!

mtbr member
    Ah sorry my bad, I forgot that it can only be used in a 44mm, I was thinking of the Motobecane FB4 that has that size head tube.

mtbr member

Nashbar Fat Bike, who else pulled the trigger?

This is an old thread but I just received my Nashbar aluminum
    Fat bike. I have been looking for a fat bike for a long time and with the recent sale and coupon code it was a great deal. I was skeptical buying sight unseen but overall I am impressed with the quality of the bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Here is a picture.

Quote Originally Posted by safme View Post
    Here is a picture.

Looks good. I wonder why they went with aluminum and discontinued the steel frame... my FOFB is still going strong.

Sent from my HTC Desire 320 using Tapatalk
    Bikin' Bric's Bike Blog

2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fat Bike
    2016 RSD Sergeant

mtbr member

Not sure. Probably a marketing decision to appeal to more of the masses. I like the look at the previous steel model.

The aluminum frame is Good looking and looks very well made. However, they skimped on the water bottle braze ons. There is only one set.

mtbr member
    Anyone else get the new nashbar fat bike?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Anyone else get the new nashbar fat bike?
    Been riding mine for a bit over 2 months now. First fat bike, just couldn't pass it up for the price back then (~$680).

Stock tires (Duro Big D) are pretty crap in snow, so it hasn't proven to be a great winter bike, though it quickly replaced my Trek 7.4 as my daily commuter ride back when the weather was still dry.

Nashbar Fat Bike, who else pulled the trigger?-img_2002-1-.jpgNashbar Fat Bike, who else pulled the trigger?-img_2184-1-.jpg

mtbr member
    Wow you got a better deal than me. I paid $719. I am very happy with it so far. No snow yet but tires are lousy in mud also.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Also bought...could not resist at this price...

Unit Price
    $699.99
    Total Price
    $699.99

Before Discounts
    Promotional Discounts
    Subtotal
    Shipping
    Shipping Discount
    Tax
    $699.99
    ($70.00)
    $629.99
    $14.99
    $0.00
    $0.00
    Total

$644.98 delivered!!!

No snow yet. No mud either. Grinning ear to ear on the rides I have been on thus far.

mtbr member
    When did you get this deal?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    When did you get this deal?
    Placed On Sep 19, 2015

They lowered the price of Fat Bikes that day...theirs and the SE. $700...then I found a percentage off coupon online...I was convinced it wouldn't apply...it did...at that price it took me about 0.1 seconds to hit the purchase button.

My first fat bike. I have an old GT Tequesta from YEARS back. I figured it was a good deal for a first fat bike. I bought a Nashbar 105 steel cyclocross last February when I decided I wanted to get back into riding bikes again after a LONG hiatus. Liking my experience with that bike, I started snooping around at fat bikes for winter riding.

mtbr member
    Can't beat that!

mtbr member
    Anyone try any wider tires? Wonder what the max width that can be run is.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    i'm looking to install a bluto rock shox on my nashbar fat bike , can anyone give me any points as far as what else is needed to accomplish this ?

Did I catch a niner+?
    the original fork is tapered and the front hub is 150mm so not much besides installing the proper crown race on the fork and installing it. As long as this is the new aluminum one.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57 View Post
    the original fork is tapered and the front hub is 150mm so not much besides installing the proper crown race on the fork and installing it. As long as this is the new aluminum one.

thanks Mr Pink , it is the new aluminum frame , i read some people saying they had to replace the front wheel

this is what they said "One note thru-axles will require a new front wheel to upgrade to Bluto shock thru-axle."

Did I catch a niner+?
    Quote Originally Posted by Joecamel View Post
    thanks Mr Pink , it is the new aluminum frame , i read some people saying they had to replace the front wheel

this is what they said "One note thru-axles will require a new front wheel to upgrade to Bluto shock thru-axle."
    I would ask Nashbar thru their chat service, they're very good about it. It could be a 150mm front end with a QR not a thru axle which is odd because then they would need a custom 150mm QR skewer just for that.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57 View Post
    I would ask Nashbar thru their chat service, they're very good about it. It could be a 150mm front end with a QR not a thru axle which is odd because then they would need a custom 150mm QR skewer just for that.
    Nashbar chat said if it is a thru axle then a new front wheel would be required

RockShox Bluto RCT3 26" 120mm Solo Air MaxleLite15 Fast Black MC Crown Adjust Tapered A2, Black in Tree Fort Bikes Suspension Forks

is there anyway to verify this ? i want to get my stuff down before going into a bike shop and being misled to spend additional money when i can't afford to

mtbr member
    Nashbar chat said if it is a thru axle then a new front wheel would be required

RockShox Bluto RCT3 26" 120mm Solo Air MaxleLite15 Fast Black MC Crown Adjust Tapered A2, Black in Tree Fort Bikes Suspension Forks

is there anyway to verify this ? i want to get my stuff down before going into a bike shop and being misled to spend additional money when i can't afford to
    Yes, check your bike to see if it has a Thru axle or a QR.

Nashbar Fat Bike

This doesn't specify.

Mr. Pink already mentioned this.

If your bike has a QR, then you need at least a new front hub (laced to your current wheel) or an adapter (if one exists), or a whole new wheel (rather than re-lacing).

If it's already TA, then the Bluto will slap right on.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2015 RSD Mayor Bluto (sold)
    2014 Giant TCX SLR1
    2012 Giant TCR Advanced SL3

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Been rolling the new Nashbar Fatty since April...upgraded the rear derailleur to a clutched x9. Swapped out the tires for some Kendra Juggernaut Pros (120tpi)...but have found that they rub the frame in the rear. So now I'm looking for some other tire to put back there. The stock tires seem a bit more narrow than the J. Pros...but I'm not sure if they're actually that much more narrow or if it is just do to the 120tpi bowing out more.

Other than the tire clearance...been pretty happy with it. I mostly road ride, so this is more of a hobby fun bike to take on the breach and trails when I need to mix it up.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyebolt View Post
    Been rolling the new Nashbar Fatty since April...upgraded the rear derailleur to a clutched x9. Swapped out the tires for some Kendra Juggernaut Pros (120tpi)...but have found that they rub the frame in the rear. So now I'm looking for some other tire to put back there. The stock tires seem a bit more narrow than the J. Pros...but I'm not sure if they're actually that much more narrow or if it is just do to the 120tpi bowing out more.

Other than the tire clearance...been pretty happy with it. I mostly road ride, so this is more of a hobby fun bike to take on the breach and trails when I need to mix it up.
    please let me know if you find a better rear tire, i am looking to upgrade my stock one

is this the rear derailer ? if so what cage size did you get

https://www.amazon.com/SRAM-Mountain...railleur&psc=1

my email is ase425@gmail.com

mtbr member

Curious as to where it rubs? Did you take any pics

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    please let me know if you find a better rear tire, i am looking to upgrade my stock one

is this the rear derailer ? if so what cage size did you get

https://www.amazon.com/SRAM-Mountain...railleur&psc=1

my email is ase425@gmail.com
    Yeah...that's the derailleur I got...got a good used deal off of eBay. The stock one is Long Cage...so I went with the same.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Curious as to where it rubs? Did you take any pics

Rubs on the front of the chain stay. Here's a pic of the bike upside down.

Nashbar Fat Bike, who else pulled the trigger?-20160622_123421.jpg

mtbr member
    Rubs on the front of the chain stay. Here's a pic of the bike upside down.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160622_123421.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	186.2 KB 
ID:	1092637
    Stupid question. I checked out the Kenda website and they have two sizes 4.5 and 4.0. Did you get the 4.0? I measured the frame chain stays and on mine the min distance is 4" so it's wider in the area you are rubbing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Stupid question. I checked out the Kenda website and they have two sizes 4.5 and 4.0. Did you get the 4.0? I measured the frame chain stays and on mine the min distance is 4" so it's wider in the area you are rubbing.

Yep...definitely the 4.0..I wish that was the problem. Took it to a local shop and they didn't see anything glaring wrong with the wheel or the frame...just that sizes aren't exact sometimes.

Nashbar Fat Bike, who else pulled the trigger?-20160622_123521.jpg

mtbr member
    Sorry had to ask. I am interested to see what you find.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016

No worries, this problem has been bugging the hell out of me since I swapped out the tires the day I got it. I finally went back to stock on the rear. Since the stocks actually measure under 4", I was considering trying the Surly Nate tire which is a 3.8".

So far, I would say tight tire clearances is really the only con I've had with the bike.

Has anyone else tried any other tires on it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2016

Actually got a good response form Nashbar today...looks like we're best around 3.8" tires

"4.0 Tires are at the limit for that frame as it was designed to run 3.75 tires.
    Some manufactures tires at 4.0 might work as they all vary a little
    but when you are at the limit of what the bike can take you will experience the issues you described.
    The bike is really designed to 3.75-3.8 tires."

mtbr member
    This is very dissappointing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Are you going to try the Nate 3.8? The surly website says the casing width with 82mm wheels is 104mm (4.09"). Not sure it would fit.

mtbr member

I ended up ordering a Nate 3.8. I looked up the dimensions on Surlys website and made a template from them. I used the template to check fit and it looks like it will. I will let you know how it fits when I get it

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I ended up ordering a Nate 3.8. I looked up the dimensions on Surlys website and made a template from them. I used the template to check fit and it looks like it will. I will let you know how it fits when I get it

Forgot to post...picked a Nate 3.8 a week or so ago. Fits good and works great. Let me know what you think.

mtbr member
    Forgot to post...picked a Nate 3.8 a week or so ago. Fits good and works great. Let me know what you think.
    I can confirm as well that the nate fits well!

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I can confirm as well that the nate fits well!

thanks for the info here guys, about ready to pull the trigger on a nate 3.8 , not sure what tpi to go with

up front i have a surly rim with maxxis minion 120 tpi 26 x 4.8 with bluto front fork

has anyone upgraded the brakes on these nash bar fat bikes ?

I have not posted an update here in a while.... thought it might be a good idea. I've got thousands of kilometers on the Big Ol Fat Bike now and she has been great. No stock parts on her left except for the rims (which I drilled). Currently running a 1X10 driveline with a granny 22T mounted in conjunction with the 30T narrow wide ring. I can stop and manually shift to the granny for some stump pulling gears that I might need in the snow. Also mounted up some new skinwall Nates for the winter ahead. Some photos....

Bikin' Bric's Bike Blog

2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fat Bike
    2016 RSD Sergeant

mtbr member
    May 2016
    after 20 miles on the surly nate 3.8 at 10 PSI, the tire was punctured by a branch

a branch took down a $110 +tax / shipping tire, Surly brand support offered zero responsibility for replacement

they're response was "Unfortunately tires sometimes get punctured."

really disappointed, will be my last Surly purchase

thanks for the info here guys, about ready to pull the trigger on a nate 3.8 , not sure what tpi to go with

up front i have a surly rim with maxxis minion 120 tpi 26 x 4.8 with bluto front fork

has anyone upgraded the brakes on these nash bar fat bikes ?

Not really fixed.
    Feb 2016
    Why would Surly be responsible? At what point does destroying a tire by running over something become their problem?

mtbr member
    after 20 miles on the surly nate 3.8 at 10 PSI, the tire was punctured by a branch

a branch took down a $110 +tax / shipping tire, Surly brand support offered zero responsibility for replacement

they're response was "Unfortunately tires sometimes get punctured."
    their response was correct

mountain biking has risks, and you don't always get the full life out of a consumable like a tire

if it was caused by a delamination or other obvious defect, that's different, but I've had sidewall gashes or massive punctures too, it sucks, we all have that happen eventually, life goes on
    Yamaguchi Cross • YT Jeffsy • Salsa Mukluk & Vaya • Canyon Commuter

mtbr member
    Anyone have any luck setting these wheels up tubeless. I am struggling to get a bud and nate to seat. Using gorilla tape and stans method. Tires are too loose fitting to wheels and just fall off when I seat the tires and remove tube. I found some info about using foam to build up the center of the rims.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12