mtbr member
    Oct 2012

narrower rims(40mm Spank Stiffy?) for riding hardpack trails

What are the narrowest rims anyone has tried for running 3.8-4.0" tires for single track type riding, and what problems might there be with doing so?

I was thinking about getting some 47mm or even 40mm rims for riding mostly hardpack, with some rocky, or muddy conditions. I am concerned about high speed cornering ability though?

I saw some awesome 40mm Stiffy rims from Spank, and was wondering if anyone here has tried them. I had contacted Spank, and they said some riders had used them for this.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    while I haven't, there is plenty of info in this forum about folks who have worked with trials rims. Mostly the trialtech stuff as far as I can tell. Not sure if as narrow as 40, but definitely some down to 45.

mtbr member
    I've run 40mms on Larrys and Black Floyds. No problems, except possibly the tyre width is only 88mm with them. Perfectly ok for hardpack.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I've heard tales of people running larry's on mavic 729's - YMMV
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I can't speak to 40mm rims but I've had no problems with high speed cornering stability on 47mm rims. Narrower rims cause the tire to narrow and the tread to wrap further around the sidewall which I find to be slightly better for traction in loose stuff versus fatter rims. The tire also tends to protect the rim a little better. Not to mention that 47mm rims are lighter and cheaper than most 65+mm rims.

The only downside is slightly less tire volume. My Husker Du's and Devist8ers measured about 4 inches wide on 80mm rims but only 3.5 inches on 47mm rims.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    I've run 40mms on Larrys and Black Floyds. No problems, except possibly the tyre width is only 88mm with them. Perfectly ok for hardpack.
    that's compared to what? about 92mm on marge lites?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by autodoctor911 View Post
    that's compared to what? about 92mm on marge lites?
    My other wheels are 80mm rims. I prefer them, just saying the 40mm rims work ok.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Marge Lites are 65mm wide, 690 grams. 170g (each) lighter than 82mm Rolling Darryls.

I'm looking at the weight savings while running a 4.7" Big Fat Larry up front and a 3.8" Nate on the back. From reading the forums, it seems these two tires as well as Husker Du's have all been successfully tried on 100mm rims. Running them on narrower rims seems somewhat relevant to this thread even though I'm not looking to go down to 40mm wide.

Hope I haven't gone too far off topic here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by FrY10cK View Post
    Marge Lites are 65mm wide, 690 grams. 170g (each) lighter than 82mm Rolling Darryls.

I'm looking at the weight savings while running a 4.7" Big Fat Larry up front and a 3.8" Nate on the back. From reading the forums, it seems these two tires as well as Husker Du's have all been successfully tried on 100mm rims. Running them on narrower rims seems somewhat relevant to this thread even though I'm not looking to go down to 40mm wide.

Hope I haven't gone too far off topic here.
    The Marge lites are great, but I can get 47mm rims that are 100+ grams lighter than that for less than half the price. And at 40mm a solid super strong double wall rim, that is still 10 grams lighter than the marge lites. If they were all the same price, I'd probably just go for the marge lites though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by autodoctor911 View Post
    The Marge lites are great, but I can get 47mm rims that are 100+ grams lighter than that for less than half the price.
    Hmm. That's something to think about. I have a Beargrease frame set and a few parts and I'm almost certain to buy Hope 135mm/170mm hubs but I haven't decided on rims and tires yet.

Can you provide a link for the 47mm rims?

mtbr member
    Google Schlick cycles. They have built wheels with hope hubs and their 47mm rims for a reasonable price. Super light.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by FrY10cK View Post
    Hmm. That's something to think about. I have a Beargrease frame set and a few parts and I'm almost certain to buy Hope 135mm/170mm hubs but I haven't decided on rims and tires yet.

Can you provide a link for the 47mm rims?
    Rims 26" - Website of indianabiketrials!

Web Store - NW Trials

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    well, looks like nwtrials has only one black, and one red rim left. I ordered 2 silver, don't know how many silver left, but I got 2.